The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 July 2018, 08:02 AM   #121
srf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
...and apparently having your watch serviced at Majestic Time Piece in Los Angeles, CA, as mentioned in an earlier post, can result in additional damage.
srf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 08:53 AM   #122
ryankelly
"TRF" Member

Couple door jambs, but biggest gash came with collision with a metal railing at our local aquarium. 🤷*♀️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ryankelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 09:53 AM   #123
GMT Fan
"TRF" Member

I scratched my two week old BLNR bracelet when the steel handle of a watertight hatch smacked it on a French Navy ship. Ouch. I took it to the AD who polished the PCLs that were scratched (thank you Ben Bridge). Then I scratched the clasp on some ceramic tile while doing something stupid with tools. I bought the Cape Cod polishing clothes, carefully taped off the brushed steel, and polished the scratches. Good as new. I was so proud of myself. I went outside in the bright Honolulu sun to admire my skill. And I dropped the watch on the flagstone pool deck. Slow motion fall. I said out loud (also in slow motion) "Ooooooooohhhhh Noooooooooo!" Then SMACK. My favorite think I have ever known hits the rocks. Took a medium size gouge out of a link on the 6 oclock side of the bracelet. And put a ding in the 5 oclock lug. Not a big ding but visible to the eye if you are looking right at it. From now on, I am not chasing little scratches around. The RSC can take care of all of them in 9+ years when I have it serviced.
GMT Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 10:22 AM   #124
SubMarine
Banned

Watch: Submariner 16610
A fool and his $ are soon parted...
SubMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 10:31 AM   #125
Muxi
"TRF" Member

So, does it mean that behind all the pretty pictures we posted are mangled watches in our watch boxes? I don't really mind scratches much. In fact I admire my uniformly scratched up plat yachtmaster. But it's the unusual dings and deep gashes on my other watches that gets my OC going. Balanced wear-good, deep scarred or dents-a little harder to accept.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 10:39 AM   #126
Dompropat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
The good ol' MacBook Pro.
Dompropat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 10:49 AM   #127
Randy63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Icon1

Walking next to my son who is also right handed but must for some reason wear his watch on his right hand. That watch is a Duratec Titanium Citizen. When he banged that thing into my 16610 it didn't leave a mark on his watch. It left a nice one on the side of my watch though.

Randy
Randy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 12:47 PM   #128
watchdawg
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
Hard parachute landing knocked my GMT hand off by 3/4 of an hour. Me broken vertebrae.
watchdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 12:51 PM   #129
Michigan_State
"TRF" Member

On the swing with my daughter. Scratched the clasp on the metal chain. My favorite marks on that particular watch.
Old 4 July 2018, 12:56 PM   #130
TRM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1787 View Post
Mostly just door frames. We are due for our firstborn very soon so who knows what is coming next :)
Use caution when folding up the stroller, putting the baby into a car seat, crib, swing and anything else hard plastic or metal.
TRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 12:57 PM   #131
TRM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMarine View Post
And this has to do what with ways you can damage your watch?
TRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 01:43 PM   #132
D O C
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710LN
Sending it to RSC Dallas. My watch came back worse.

I sent my 16710 in to RSC for routine servicing about 2007 or so. It had started to run a little slow. At the time it had a tiny scratch on the left and underside of the case, barely noticeable. When I got it back it was polished out. But they had polished it so much it took the sharp edges of the case out and made the watch look thinner all around. I was very disappointed in the appearance. A few days later I noticed a glint on the end of the second hand. Sure enough it had a scratch on the top surface of the second hand that had not been there before. When I took it back to the AD jeweler they told me they could send it back to RSC but more costs would accumulate for shipping and any other charges incurred at RSC. I'd already been without my watch for a month. So the AD told me, "we'll catch it at the next servicing." Oh thanks. The AD went out of business the next year.

D O C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 06:17 PM   #133
Waddy1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub date.
When I got my sub I said I would always wear it, and I have. Must admit I am getting a little nervous and actually doing things much more carefully. I don't want a watch that has to be locked away but when you have one you do worry.
Not going to stop though!
Waddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 06:25 PM   #134
Andad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMarine View Post
On the suds again Duggie?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 06:31 PM   #135
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
Door frames are your enemy!

Yes, ouch and door knobs and door handles!

My son has (hilariously) asked me why I put my hand behind my back whenever I enter doors especially elevators!
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 08:07 PM   #136
Skyfire
"TRF" Member

Foolishly putting a leather strap on my Speedy Pro which still had the shoulderless springbars in it from my 14060m, and the subsequent ham-fisted attempt to remove them, resulting in a broken springbar, a ripped strap and a damaged lug...
Skyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 10:25 PM   #137
clb521
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usling15 View Post
Had my wifes datejust in my breifcase taking it in for service. Forgot to take the breifcase
off the roof of my car. Saw it slide off on the interstate. Pulled over, spotted the watch in the middle lane. Before i could get to it a tractor trailer drove over it & i watched it bounce about 8ft. Total destruction !!
That must have upped the cost for service.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
clb521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 10:39 PM   #138
GeorgeK
"TRF" Member

Fell about 10 meters while rock climbing. The rope caught my fall. Apart from the obvious bruises and scrapes, a nice dent on my 16710's bezel. Left it like that for another 10 years until service, when I was told the rotor axle was bent. Was still keeping good time.
GeorgeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2018, 12:40 AM   #139
rouxeny
"TRF" Member

Was helping my wife out of the car and somehow clanged our watches together. Rolex meets Rolex. Her DJ got a visible dent on the lug. My YM a less visible one, also on the lug. Hers went to Dallas ESC, looks fine now. Mine just kept its battle scar.
rouxeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2018, 01:12 AM   #140
blown5.0
"TRF" Member

My friend challenged me to throw his G-shock on the floor as hard as I could, because he was confident that it would not break. Needless to say, the liquid display turned all black and the case ended up split open.
blown5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2018, 01:27 AM   #141
rolex_pseudo
"TRF" Member

The clasp on my DT GMT 2 fit got scratches while I use my MacBook pro. Now I either tippy type or remove the watch when using the laptop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rolex_pseudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2018, 12:21 PM   #142
peticks
"TRF" Member

Office desk and putting stuff in my car’s trunk.
peticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2018, 12:32 PM   #143
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Previous Grand Seiko I had 2 years back, scrapped one of the lugs under a bar granite counter. Much more careful these days, currently my SubC has swirly scratches on the polished side surfaces due to one of my beaded bracelets.
Old 5 July 2018, 02:31 PM   #144
Portland
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
First of all, I have to say I REALLY like this thread. I’m so glad to see I’m not the only one who is rocking dings and scratches on his watch, and the stories are great!

A few of my favorites..

Almost a year to the day after I purchased my brand new 116610LN I was at a local Redbar meeting. One of the guys commented how pristine my watch was for being a year old. I wore it daily but I was always SUPER careful not to rub it on anything or get desk diving scratches on the bracelet. As I was handling the watch and listening to this guy praise the flawless condition of my watch, I picked the watch up off of the table and the it slipped through my fingers and into my open palm. Unfortunately, I was wearing my tungsten carbide wedding ring. For those of you that don’t know, tungsten carbide ranks a 9 on the Mohs hardness scale. My 904L steel case didn’t stand a change. The watch fell right onto the corner of my ring and it left a nice little ding right in the middle of the left side of the case, right on that gorgeous high polish. It bugged me for about a week before I thought, you know, I’m planning on wearing this watch for the next 20-30 years. It’s gonna get a lot worse than this. I stopped worrying about the scratches and just wear it. Sure it has a little wabi here or there, but it’s a Sub. It only looks better with use.

The second is from an old 16570 Polar Explorer II I used to have. I was putting up a swing in the backyard for my daughter and as I was hooking the chain to the metal clip the chain swung around and bit one of the lugs. Left a tiny little ding on the crisp lug edge. As someone else said above, it was my favorite dent.

The last is my most recent. I was wearing my SubC last week when an employee stopped by my desk to show me a handful of new gems and rocks that she just bought for her rock collection. One of then looked like a petrified mass of tiny intestines. I joking said to her, “you’ll have to give me the intestine looking rock given all the crap you flick me every day”. She picked up the rock and pretended to stab my arm with it. But instead of poking my arm she accidentally gave my watch 3 short raps with the rock. Left a tiny ding on the case and two scuffs on the bracelet. She was mortified. I told her not to worry about it, but did say that she proved my point. :P
Portland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2018, 10:47 PM   #145
kauffee

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland View Post
First of all, I have to say I REALLY like this thread. I’m so glad to see I’m not the only one who is rocking dings and scratches on his watch, and the stories are great!

A few of my favorites..

Almost a year to the day after I purchased my brand new 116610LN I was at a local Redbar meeting. One of the guys commented how pristine my watch was for being a year old. I wore it daily but I was always SUPER careful not to rub it on anything or get desk diving scratches on the bracelet. As I was handling the watch and listening to this guy praise the flawless condition of my watch, I picked the watch up off of the table and the it slipped through my fingers and into my open palm. Unfortunately, I was wearing my tungsten carbide wedding ring. For those of you that don’t know, tungsten carbide ranks a 9 on the Mohs hardness scale. My 904L steel case didn’t stand a change. The watch fell right onto the corner of my ring and it left a nice little ding right in the middle of the left side of the case, right on that gorgeous high polish. It bugged me for about a week before I thought, you know, I’m planning on wearing this watch for the next 20-30 years. It’s gonna get a lot worse than this. I stopped worrying about the scratches and just wear it. Sure it has a little wabi here or there, but it’s a Sub. It only looks better with use.
Paul I have to laugh at the irony of you dinging your own watch at Redbar where everyone handles each other’s watches like they’re baby birds. I will attest... your Sub was always mind bogglingly perfect for a daily wearer!

As an ophthalmologist I work with a slit lamp microscope all day, which has these large knurled adjustment nobs all over it. I’m always reaching up with my hands to hold eyelids and do small procedures. The first week with my Sub I hit the clasp on one of those knurled knobs and made this crazy horseshoe shaped scratch on it. Being on the clasp it didn’t bug me too much. Now almost two years later, even being somewhat careful, my clasp is filled with scratches like that and I have to say it looks better than just having one scratch.

The best thing for my piece of mind was getting my second Rolex and then using my Sub as a “relative” beater.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2018, 07:46 AM   #146
Swashplate

Installing a toilet....abrasive lil btard. More door jams than I can count, but now I walk though all doorways sideways to prevent damage. Work smarter not harder!
Swashplate is offline   Reply With Quote