The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 March 2017, 01:05 PM   #121
Eva123
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexwwjd View Post
When I have my SS SkyD and find someone with a PM SkyD, I'll say, hey, we have the same watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eva123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 02:03 PM   #122
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC IW389001
Desperation? No. But I'm sure sales and turnover are down for Rolex, like everyone else. Probably less severe than most but there is a downturn in watches.

If they couldn't make enough skydwellers, or seadwellers or DJIIs, they wouldn't have changed anything. They are trying things to spark more sales. The previous DJII, DDII and seadweller didn't work out well enough for them so they are trying something a little different, and I agree better.

By the way, the skydweller is not a grand complication, even if yo cannot see beyond rolex. It is a GMT annual calendar, very nicely executed.
jagwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 02:08 PM   #123
aleeboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Rolex is trying to go mainstream now by making one of their complicated watches accessible to the masses.

I think this is a huge devaluation of their brand - especially for owners of the last models in precious metals.

The craze for their Submariners, GMTIIs and Daytonas have given Rolex the right to continue to price these higher and open up one of their high-end models to the masses. I see the Basel 2017 Daytona's as being very attractively priced considering their SS model pricing. SS is the new in things in a big way!

Excellent pricing strategy they've done. A reason why I won't be purchasing a SS model again.
aleeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 02:13 PM   #124
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Cant think it will have any impact on Rolex. They make their money from selling DJ's and sports models when they bother to make them available. Sky dweller was always a novelty to try and show they could make complications. I don't think it would make me excited if I owned a PM one but nor do I think it would change my world either, I don't think anybody would have expected them to hold their value from new like a no date sub.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 02:36 PM   #125
Submariner SS
"TRF" Member

Does anyone know if the bracelet is stainless steel or TT? In pictures the middle links look different, but I assume it's a matter of different polishing. Thanks.
Submariner SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 02:46 PM   #126
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner SS View Post
Does anyone know if the bracelet is stainless steel or TT? In pictures the middle links look different, but I assume it's a matter of different polishing. Thanks.
Skydweller comes in fully steel bracelet as well as TT models.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 02:50 PM   #127
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
BASEL 2018:

SS & TT DD40

That said, the black dial looks decent.
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 06:09 PM   #128
Alpino
"TRF" Member

All Rolex models have always be declined in PM and in SS, why would Rolex have made the things different for SkyDweller

The only exception have always been Daydate, and that won't change as the Daydate is the flagship , the President's watch.

Skydweller when it came on the market didn't came in platinum (like a new DD would have), and never came with a specific bracelet. There were no signs it would be treated apart from other Rolex models ...
Alpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 06:22 PM   #129
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

To my eyes...or taste...the Skydweller has always been an ugly looking watch, too big , too fussy, not a touch of any elegance. No wonder it has been a slow seller. The SS version looks a bit better, but it is still , for me, pretty ugly.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 06:54 PM   #130
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
This is absolutely fantastic news

I have been trying on PM skydwellers considering it for my next watch for the last few months since Christmas. This means I'll definitely get one on the full bracelet and really good value for money. I don't subscribe to the fact that it's such a complicated watch (compared to what others like R Mille, R Dubuis, even Hublot are doing recently) but one that is highly practical, versatile and aesthetically looks amazing.
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 07:07 PM   #131
Ci54
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sky Dweller
I think this is a win for those who have been looking at getting the Skydweller but have been put off by the fact that it's only available in PM. Pricing it at this level is a big bonus for these buyers. Perhaps Rolex is just widening the appeal of this particular model to tap that market..
Old 26 March 2017, 07:39 PM   #132
SamP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680/8 & '88 16528
It's true the SS Sky-Dweller will bring the underachieving grand complication to the forefront of Rolex buyers, but I think the ivory face of the WG model is breathtaking. There's something about moulted metal Roman numerals that just transfixes the eye. I abhor the new style faceted Roman numerals.
But as always, each to their own.
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 02:42 AM   #133
Royalex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
No, just slow SkyD sales. If they were in trouble we would have the SS CokeC now, if serious trouble the SS PepC too.
Royalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 10:51 AM   #134
Submariner SS
"TRF" Member

I was kinda excited when I first heard the news yesterday, but looking around it seems that a good number of people think that Rolex lowered the prestige of the line by going SS. Now I don't know how to feel about it and certainly am less excited about the prospects of getting one because of the negativity..
Submariner SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 11:29 AM   #135
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner SS View Post
I was kinda excited when I first heard the news yesterday, but looking around it seems that a good number of people think that Rolex lowered the prestige of the line by going SS. Now I don't know how to feel about it and certainly am less excited about the prospects of getting one because of the negativity..
Far more positivity than negativity here, either Rolex have adjusted to slower PM sales and made a smart business decision or they had a plan to release in SS after the premier complication was exclusive to PM for a few years, either way it reflects well on Rolex imho.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 11:39 AM   #136
Glidelock
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDC4000, Sub LVC
Nah...I think it was a sign of desperation when they released the Yacht Master II in SS a few years back!
Glidelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 11:46 AM   #137
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
It is not desperation is pure marketing strategy.

Release a model in pm first. Milk it as much as you can. Sell as many as you can for a couple of years and than release the ss version that stays on for decades.

Mark my words, next years in Basel we shall see a SS Ceramic Pepsi. They did the same with the wg Pepsi and soon a new ss Pepsi is coming. Whoever wanted a new Pepsi badly enough and had the funds to get the wg version, already has it by now.
Old 27 March 2017, 02:10 PM   #138
Glidelock
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDC4000, Sub LVC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
Mark my words, next years in Basel we shall see a SS Ceramic Pepsi. They did the same with the wg Pepsi and soon a new ss Pepsi is coming. Whoever wanted a new Pepsi badly enough and had the funds to get the wg version, already has it by now.

Wait...what? are you actually predicting the announcement of a SS Pepsi being released at Basel 2018? I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and say...your employment application for Rolex R&D Dept. Somehow keeps getting lost in the mail! Either way my man...that's just not gonna happen!
Glidelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 05:45 PM   #139
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

I think if has followed the same as most models, pm first then two tone and steel. It reaffirmed daydate as the flagship model still.

Old 27 March 2017, 07:42 PM   #140
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
SS Daydate for next year,,,
It's unlikely to happen, but would sell like crazy for sure
Zenith 02.480.405

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 08:50 PM   #141
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
To quote Archieluxury, "Rolex knows best what they’re doing (…) my own feeling is maybe they’ve got a lot of Sky-Dwellers they wanna move, (…)”

I personally find this new iteration beautiful and kind of attainable in SS. However, I don't need / fancy the complication at all so will probably won't be buying one. The SS Datejust 41 with fluted WG bezel and blue dial on the other hand, that's a potential grail right there.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 08:51 PM   #142
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
I think the only desperation will be the desire to get my hands on one!
Old 27 March 2017, 09:31 PM   #143
gtnator
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
I think they always planned it. Start with PM, be exclusive for the early guys who have to have it, then bring it down to the "masses" if you can even say that about a Rolex.

gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 10:04 PM   #144
bardm
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
Rolex tried to position the Sky Dweller as an alternative to the DD. However, the Sky Dweller is just waaaaayyyy to big for most people, so it didn't sell.

So, yes, you might say it's a last resort to get moved some of the movements and get paid for the development costs.

I myselft would love one, but not when it's so oversized that yoy have to be obese to wear it.
Old 27 March 2017, 10:19 PM   #145
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardm View Post
I myselft would love one, but not when it's so oversized that yoy have to be obese to wear it.
LOL - I've heard many ppl say this. I own one and yes it is quite a big watch.

Now if Basel 2018 brings a DD40 in SS - well that is when I will know Rolex has lost the plot and I will be flipping all my Rolex's. That would be a ultimate disaster and devalue the brand immensely.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 10:31 PM   #146
zoenoadad
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C, JC DSSD
People. I'm still reasonably new here, but the idea that Rolex is going to in some way tarnish its brand by issuing the SS SkyD is kind of absurd. The thing still costs $14,000, significantly more than most (maybe 99.99%) of people in the world would ever pay for a watch. Almost all of my friends and close relatives who have seen my Daytona and know approximately what I paid for it (MSRP, but still not exactly cheap) think I'm nuts. They get that I like watches and that it's a beautiful piece, but most of them wear Swatches, G-Shocks, and the like. The idea that I would add another watch over $10k is, in their view, patently ridiculous. If Rolex came out with a $500 plastic watch, or something akin to the Apple watch, then we can talk about tarnishing the brand.

Even in the stratosphere in which we are all operating, where $14k is actually "reasonable" for a watch of this caliber, I still think Rolex is playing on exactly the right field. Patek kind of owns the high-class, old money, incredibly complex (and expensive) market; AP has its own legion of fans willing to pay for something very unique and distinctive; and Rolex owns the "sporty, durable, nice-but-not-too-nice so I can wear it every day" corner of the market. I'm pretty sure that if you asked the average (non-WIS) person what the "nicest" watch in the world is, the likely answer would be Rolex.

Not to mention sales, profit, the other things that are - ahem - somewhat important to running a company, even a "non-profit." Maybe it's just me, but I sincerely doubt anyone would like at my gorgeous SkyD blue dial which I hope to own in about 6 months and go, hmm, nice, but you should have spent another $20k and gotten one in gold. And if they do, I'll probably punch them in the face (jk).
zoenoadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 11:10 PM   #147
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoenoadad View Post
People. I'm still reasonably new here, but the idea that Rolex is going to in some way tarnish its brand by issuing the SS SkyD is kind of absurd. The thing still costs $14,000, significantly more than most (maybe 99.99%) of people in the world would ever pay for a watch. Almost all of my friends and close relatives who have seen my Daytona and know approximately what I paid for it (MSRP, but still not exactly cheap) think I'm nuts. (jk).
Rolex is a premium brand. Not all people are equal and not all peoples perspectives are equal.

Some might say $14k is alot. To some $14k is like $14 dollars. To the guys that buy $100k RMs, $14k is chump change. For the guys that buy $1million tourby's the $100k RM is chump change. Goes on and on and its all relative.

Rolex needs to maintain a grail piece people that represents an lifelong achievement or pinnacle moment in someones life.

That at the current time now is the Day Date. Its the pinnacle Rolex at the current time and probably has been for a long time. The Sky-D somewhat had a reputation that it was an milestone/achievement piece that someone could strive for and achieve one day. That philosophy/standing has been thrown out the window now making it available to the masses. Many people share this viewpoint - well the guys I personally know in the watch game do anyway.

Anything thats more easily attainable is less desirable as a grail piece otherwise it wouldn't be called such. You might not like it but honestly speaking that usually means how much it costs to attain. We live in a monetary world like it or not and alot of people's success is measured by how much coin they have.

A watch dealer friend that I was chatting to yesterday seems to believe that the Precious metal SKy'D will drop in value for sure due to the SS model releases. He's trying to flip his PM SKy's ASAP
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 11:28 PM   #148
pa30crewchief
"TRF" Member

I have PM Rolex (a lovely WG day date diamond dial double quickset from the nineties). But it's not what I wear when I travel for work or pleasure (I travel across time zones at least once a week). In any case at 36mm the DD is a bit small for my nearly 8" wrist.

I pick my daily watch from the GMTs or the white dial Explorer II when I can't decide on a bezel color.

Skydweller in SS for me is welcome news. SS is harder wearing than PM and it would be a nice alternative to the Batman for example.

pa30crewchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 11:41 PM   #149
jfmiii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750/16800/126710
i dont know what this release means for rolex vis a vis their sales. however, it shows that they will release a watch in SS that was previous PM only much to the chagrin of the original PM buyers. this gives me hope that we will get a SS PepsiC in the future. my ultimate wish is that theyd take a page out of Omega's book and re-issue some of their classic references.
jfmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 12:22 AM   #150
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Was a SS release not the only way to make this thing iconic? Up until now, the SkD is purely a novelty thing, not unlike the YMII. And while PM is great for novelty things (Apple watch edition anyone?) something as hefty and, let's face it, somewhat unrefined as the SkD (it's too functional to really be elegant, and too thick... and while it's a bit more complicated than the remainder of what they make, it's still not especially complicated) needs to be available to a sufficient amount of people in order to amass a following/heritage and become an icon somewhere down the road. It now has a good shot at doing just that, while I doubt it did when it only lived in the odd WRUW post or Instafashionista stream.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote