The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 9 May 2018, 09:18 PM   #121
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Personally I would not wear it. 90% chance it doesn't matter if you do or don't, but I'm guessing at least 10% chance the interviewer could be turned off by it. Why take the chance? Leaving it home won't hurt your chances of getting the job, but wearing it could possibly hurt your chances. Leave it home and get it off your mind.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk
Old 9 May 2018, 09:30 PM   #122
lzz73
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228238
You absolutely must wear it to be sure you’re on time for the interview. Otherwise, could cost you the job if you’re late ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 May 2018, 09:37 PM   #123
anastasevp
"TRF" Member

Your problem is a common one at your age. The problem isn’t the watch you’re wearing But the lack of confidence. Be confident in your skills and go for the job, not the interview!!!

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
Old 9 May 2018, 09:55 PM   #124
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
I like it when job applicants wear expensive watches.

I will never have to give them a raise.

Just by asking this question you have given yourself the answer.
Would be fun to say, I must be paying you too much even before they start the job.
Old 9 May 2018, 10:40 PM   #125
jumproductions
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Offshore
If it’s something you earned from your work there is no need to hide it but if it was a gift then I agree with other members it could make you look spoiled compared to privileged “if” the interviewer even notices.
Old 9 May 2018, 10:45 PM   #126
jeff7176
"TRF" Member

I would wear a DJ or my JLC. They’re both low key, and I would imagine there are few people that even know what a JLC is.

I wouldn’t wear a giant blinged out 50mm watch with a flashy dial and a billion complications...even if it was $29 from a thrift store. Those accoutrements are distracting IMO and don’t generally hide under a sleeve well. i interviewed a guy who came in full Mr T. It was distracting at first. Then he started talking and it was obvious he wasn’t the right guy for the job. The jewelry didn’t sink him...he did.

But, one thing I always look at are shoes. They don’t have to be some fancy expensive kind, just clean and polished. And not athletic shoes...I work in the legal profession. And if the shoes have leather soles having some fresh edge dressing is a nice demonstration of attention to detail a caring about appearing professional.

So whether you wear you BLNR or not is up to you, but shine your shoes!
Old 9 May 2018, 10:46 PM   #127
Raza_actual
"TRF" Member

Watch: Monaco
Two answers here:

1. No, don’t wear it if you think it’ll make you look bad in the eyes of the interviewer.
2. Yes, if you think wearing it will make you feel more confident and perform better in the interview.

Personally, I’ve never shied away from wearing expensive watches to job interviews. I’ve worn my Monaco and my Speedmaster before. I haven’t had an interview since I got my Submariner, though. I can’t say whether I’d personally wear it or not—my gut feeling is that I’d wear my Speedmaster again, it’s a bit of a good luck watch for me. I think the most important thing about any job interview—or life, really—is to be true to yourself. I don’t alter my behavior to please anyone. Of course, it’s easier to say that at 32 than it was at 22, but go with your instincts.
Old 9 May 2018, 11:01 PM   #128
Caduceus
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A collection
The quandary here is you cannot predict who will be interviewing you. Whomever it is will have biases for sure. They may be old school, have kids who are spoiled brats or who are solid citizens, or have family/friends that are are jerks and wear Rolexes or are quality acquaintances that wear Rolexes. You just can't predict it.

As a 49 yo man I would suggest leaving it off because that is safe. No one would hold it against a millennial who isn't wearing a watch, but it could hurt you to wear an expensive one - so why do it? The road safest traveled sort of scenario. I agree with previous poster that you present yourself as humble and HUNGRY.

This is the exact advice I would give to any of my 3 similar age children.

Sincerely BEST OF LUCK young man!
Seamaster PO 42mm (Orange)

Last edited by Caduceus; 9 May 2018 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: forgot important point
Old 9 May 2018, 11:21 PM   #129
toomann
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
Wow! I'm really amazed at how many opinions say leave it at home. I'm in the wear it camp. Be yourself. Other's are correct in that if you are wearing a suit your watch most likely will not even be visible. That being said. If the interviewer is going to knock you because you value quality in your watches. Are they also going to knock you because you have expensive taste in your suit or your shoes? Let's be honest, many men who value quality in their watches also value quality in other things they buy like clothing, shoes, cars. I wouldn't waste your time worrying about what others think about the things you purchase. If you like it, buy it. And enjoy it. That means wearing it.
Old 9 May 2018, 11:53 PM   #130
javier
"TRF" Member

Don´t please
Old 10 May 2018, 12:11 AM   #131
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T01 View Post
Personally, I wouldn't.
Me 2
Old 10 May 2018, 12:15 AM   #132
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Those who say no one will notice are misleading you and themselves; one can never be sure who notices, they just don't say anything.

From my perspective, there is no downside to not wearing your Rolex.
Old 10 May 2018, 12:19 AM   #133
4BostonB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
I don't think I'd wear it. As a watch person, I'll take notice of what watches people are wearing, and that includes interviews - I wouldn't hold a Rolex against someone, but I know others definitely would.

I interviewed a college kid for an entry-level role who was wearing a SKX009 (the pepsi bezel Seiko diver) and the other interviewer turned to me after he left the room and incredulously asked if I saw that the guy was wearing a Rolex. Definitely not a positive association. I kind of laughed and told him it was a Seiko, but he definitely had a negative perception based on a suspicion that it was. The watch was tucked under his cuff the whole time - I noticed the colors but it even took me a minute to figure out what he was wearing since it was so hard to see.

I think that in interview contexts, you don't want to divulge anything about yourself without knowing how it will be perceived. Focus on showing how you're a fit for the firm as a professional and how your skills and interests line up with the role. Connecting to the interviewer on a personal is a huge value-add, but you don't know whether or not they'll be interested in watches. My next purchase is going to be a JLC, and I wouldn't hesitate to wear that to an interview because anyone who recognizes the brand would appreciate watches. However, I think I'd think twice before wearing my GMT LN.

The baggage associated with the Rolex crown is my least favorite part of the watch - it's too bad, but it's the way it is.
Old 10 May 2018, 12:20 AM   #134
OpusXIII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy, Hulk, DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebirdiedk View Post
Problem is that I don’t know of this will help me or not therefore I was looking for someone who may have had the same “dilemma” or experience
It would seem that you would (or at least, should) have far more important things to concern yourself with than what watch you'll be wearing; i.e. the job interview itself. I seriously doubt that wearing the watch (a watch that most likely will never even be noticed by anyone) would hinder your interview in any way whatsoever. Those who might notice will likely not make mention of it. And for those that would take issue with your wearing a Rolex........well, that's there problem.

Dress like a boss. Act like a boss. Kill the interview by being prepared and well versed on the company (and position) in which you are applying. Good luck to you.
Old 10 May 2018, 12:26 AM   #135
Armyguy03
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 | 16600
I’d personally leave everyone’s ideas, opinions and beliefs out of the equation. The key question to answer, for yourself is, “How do You feel while wearing your watch to a job interview?” Only you know that answer, and I would suggest you do what feels good to you. You’ll get every opinion under the sun on forums such as these. The key is to always follow what You want to do. Either way, the end result will be fine. Just focus on how you feel. Don’t look for long lists of right or wrong, only give attention to how you feel about what you want to do. Lastly, wear your watch in good health, always.
Old 10 May 2018, 12:33 AM   #136
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
It really depends on the person you are interviewing with so giving advice is very difficult. It's probably no big deal to wear it, just wear it like it's part of you and not some gag to get the interviewers attention and show off. Also, and probably most important, don't look at it during the interview.

If you're asked about it say it's a graduation gift. Companies don't want to hire people who are frivolous with money or who might spend themselves into debt forcing bad performance and perhaps worse. Especially someone in finance/ accounting who could play tricks with the books.

Good luck with the job hunt!
Old 10 May 2018, 12:35 AM   #137
hothothaven
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, Pam 685
Quote:
Problem is that I don’t know of this will help me or not therefore I was looking for someone who may have had the same “dilemma” or experience
For me, I get attachment to certain things, and my watch is one of them. I usually only wear one at a time, so it is like a part of me. I would feel naked without it. So I would say that with an SS watch of any type, no one will notice it except you probably. (After all, its not a car dealership where your wrist and shoes are the first place they look.) So if you consider it a part of you, and you would notice it missing, you should wear it. And don't think about it. The only person who would notice a SS rolex is either a rolex owner (who would not hold it against you) or someone who owns a different luxury watch. And they might want to chat about it. So then you have an in. Only WIS's and owners of the same brand notice watches.

If this was a 47MM panerai, I may have a different take, but not for an SS 40mm rolex
Old 10 May 2018, 12:36 AM   #138
hothothaven
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, Pam 685
And also, if you are wearing a suit, it will be under your cuff most of the time anyway. So if someone is looking at your wrist that much, they are either a watch guy (good) or a little bit weird, in which case you might have dodged a bullet!
Old 10 May 2018, 12:44 AM   #139
Raypep
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ / BLNR / Sub
I just went through this 3 weeks ago, I have to watches SS 36 DJ (black dial) and BLNR.

I decided to wear my DJ, its more understated. When I went back to accept the position I was wearing my BLNR. My wrists are small, so the BLNR is more prominent when I wear it and tried to avoid that on the first interview.

However, people made mention that I drive a nice car? (just a BMW 328...), so that seems to be more problematic than my watch.
Old 10 May 2018, 01:15 AM   #140
azs.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, Panerai
Concentrate on the interview.. you'll be too self-conscious during the interview if you are wearing the watch.
Old 10 May 2018, 01:22 AM   #141
tjfslaughter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raypep View Post
I just went through this 3 weeks ago, I have to watches SS 36 DJ (black dial) and BLNR.

I decided to wear my DJ, its more understated. When I went back to accept the position I was wearing my BLNR. My wrists are small, so the BLNR is more prominent when I wear it and tried to avoid that on the first interview.

However, people made mention that I drive a nice car? (just a BMW 328...), so that seems to be more problematic than my watch.
BMW drivers have a bad rap in general. I haven't had my SD43 long but I don't see myself wearing it with a suit. I have a Navitimer for that. Many moons ago I was 22 and wore a Breitling on an interview with the CEO of Cartier... He noticed and we discussed it, and how I purchased it. We could not work out a job but it was a good experience.
Old 10 May 2018, 01:31 AM   #142
Whitebirdiedk
Banned

Watch: Rolex BLNR
Alright. thanks for all the answers. I've never had in mind that so many people would share so many opinions - so huge thanks to all of you! I have read all the answers and I really appreciate every single one (also the bad jokes) ;)

Many of you highlighted the importance of confidence and killing the interview, which I absolutely agree with. But I do not want to be remembered as "the Rolex guy" when they evaluate me against other candidates because I believe I have better qualities to be remembered for by an employer.

This is far from my biggest concern when attending an interview, but you guys know the importance of first impressions. I just do not want to screw up on acquiring a dream job at age 22 because of my watch.
Old 10 May 2018, 01:46 AM   #143
Wools
"TRF" Member

Unless your interviewer is a fan, he won't even notice your watch so just wear and enjoy it!
Old 10 May 2018, 01:47 AM   #144
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Alright. thanks for all the answers. I've never had in mind that so many people would share so many opinions - so huge thanks to all of you! I have read all the answers and I really appreciate every single one (also the bad jokes) ;)

Many of you highlighted the importance of confidence and killing the interview, which I absolutely agree with. But I do not want to be remembered as "the Rolex guy" when they evaluate me against other candidates because I believe I have better qualities to be remembered for by an employer.

This is far from my biggest concern when attending an interview, but you guys know the importance of first impressions. I just do not want to screw up on acquiring a dream job at age 22 because of my watch.
If you enjoy wearing your Rolex, wear it and keep it discreet. I am thinking you will be wearing long sleeves anyway. If you can take it or leave it, then I would suggest leaving it at home. The focus of the interview should be your talent and what it will bring to the company/employer you are seeking to work for. People come from all sorts of life experiences, some may not receive your watch message well and see you as arrogant or spoiled. Some may not care at all. I personally would not want to take that chance. Best of luck with your future endeavors!

Ian Fleming
Old 10 May 2018, 01:48 AM   #145
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
22 years and Rolex for Interview is not good combination!!

It works if you are interviewing to Manager/Director positions but that too later in life!
Old 10 May 2018, 01:55 AM   #146
Ungucpho
Banned

Yes, stereotypes can be hard to break, while you want to stand out against the rest of the candidates, you don't want any negative aspects to prevent you from receiving the offer for the job. Since you're in Europe, it might be different from the states, but there are times here where you're not only meeting with the hiring manager, but staff within the hiring managers group.

There might be individuals who might judge you, and can also give poor feedback just based on individual appearances. While this should have no bearing on your skill set or interview performance, people also want the candidate to fit in within the group.

I would dress the part for the interview, try not to attract negative attention, highlight your skills and personality, and land that job. Whether you decide to wear the watch or not, should not be a #1 on your priority list.

If you someone asks about it, you can mention how you purchased the watch for yourself at a young age, by setting the goal for yourself to acquire it, worked hard to achieve what you set out for, and ultimately rewarded yourself for achieving that goal.

Quote:

Old 10 May 2018, 02:01 AM   #147
lilsweetie
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ Rose/SS diamond
I always wear mine. There are so many lookalikes out there, unless you get up close and see the crown on the dial it could be any other watch that looks similar.
Old 10 May 2018, 03:22 AM   #148
ashokleyland
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060,PAM,DJ
Wear it... The interviewer would not mind what is on your wrist, if its a Timex, Casio, or a Rolex, they will judge you on your performance on interview not by your wrist.
Old 10 May 2018, 04:04 AM   #149
DantonIzzo
"TRF" Member

No only because it sounds like it will be your self-conscious. You should be focused on the task at hand--the interview--not worrying about the watch. Get the job, so you can buy more Rolexes.
Old 10 May 2018, 08:12 AM   #150
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:
Hello guys
I am 22 years old and a happy owner of a BLNR. Like many other Rolex owners I like to wear it (almost) everyday. I am currently attending a lot of job interviews as I am finishing my degree in July.
I’ve been wearing my Rolex for the last two interviews but I am considering leaving it at home for the third. It’s primarily finance and/or auditing companies so I am definitely not the only one with a Rolex on the wrist, but I am wondering if wearing a Rolex at the age of 22 sends a bad/arrogant signal to the employer/recruiter.

What are your thoughts? And do you have any good/bad experiences?

Looking very much forward to read your replies

I’m in the same industry. Wear it, it won’t hurt you one bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread