The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2 January 2020, 11:58 PM   #121
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
This forum represents what is really good and really bad on the internet all in one thread! What a bunch of insensitive morons! But having been out of these boards for a while it was just what I expect. After all, it is a forum for watches that most people think are totally rediculous - and the members represent what most of society would expect from a forum for overpriced objects!
Old 3 January 2020, 12:21 AM   #122
OmaniRolex
"TRF" Member

It’s a shame to see all these nasty comments. I suspect it’s because the majority doesn’t agree with the style. Had it been a more toned down model I think some of the comments would have been a little kinder.

I will say it’s A LOT for a 16 year old to wear. As a father myself I don’t know if I would have let my son wear such an attention getter. Not to discount his hard work and determination to get it, but there’s a lot of bad folks out there just looking to take something they didn’t work for. And a flashy Rolex on a young man may as well be a beacon light. It’s going to get attention and maybe unwanted attention at that. Just be vigilant and watch out.

I admire the fact that he worked hard and saved and learned the value of how far his money goes. I started working at 14 to save up for a car for when I turned 16. And I can imagine the sense of pride this kid felt when he paid for it with his own money.

While it’s not my style, I imagine my style is not his. To each his own. The OP wasn’t asking for your opinion on the watch itself, he was a proud Dad talking about what his son achieved. And no one can fault him for that. This forum is full of comments like “wear what makes YOU happy”. It would have been nice to see some here when a teenager was involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 January 2020, 12:24 AM   #123
LndLord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwjez14 View Post
Yes is is a blood. He’s 16 comes from an upper middle class family and he is gangbanging on the side ( don’t tell his mom she will crap ) Haha thanks for the congrats.

Please don’t give in to these stupid comments from these forum members.
And much respect to you and your son. I love that you allowed him to get what he wants.
Old 3 January 2020, 12:25 AM   #124
LndLord
"TRF" Member

This is a open forum. But it’s a shame to see ignorant comments. Not everyone has to like the same thing. I also enjoy seeing different watches different people that’s what makes Rolex special
Old 3 January 2020, 12:41 AM   #125
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Love em all
Good for him - good to see someone with a good work ethic achieve a goal.

I'd caution someone of that age to wear a piece with that type of flash - could attract the wrong unwanted attention.
Old 3 January 2020, 01:54 AM   #126
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Moderators should set the tone. Unfortunately, there are one or two of them that often are the table setters for the rude behavior. I think it may be time for some fresh blood (and attitudes) on the roster...
Old 3 January 2020, 02:18 AM   #127
Henry F.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega AT 150
I don't understand why some people pull the racist card or anything...look at Paul wall and Johnny dang. huge hip hop icons and super influential in Texas...what's the problem with it ? I don't see any. that's just the way it is...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PW-and-JD-Grillz-Jewelry.jpg (20.6 KB, 416 views)
Old 3 January 2020, 02:20 AM   #128
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
I have a hunch that your son will become a great jeweler.
Me too, would be proud of a son who at 16 aims at wearing a luxury watch that is not just any watch. It says a lot about his personality. Kudos.
Old 3 January 2020, 02:22 AM   #129
Henry F.
"TRF" Member

or for people who know newer stuff...here's Johnny dang with post malone (also a Texas kid)...I personally don't see the problem here...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 920x920.jpg (67.1 KB, 414 views)
Old 3 January 2020, 02:23 AM   #130
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Interesting choice as first Rolex ,definitely not mainstream .

Looks like your son likes to make a statement and like to stand out .Good
He worked,saved,bought cash .Good

Careful of laughing at the young man ,maybe you end up working for him ... for a salary .
Old 3 January 2020, 02:34 AM   #131
Henry F.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post

Careful of laughing at the young man ,maybe you end up working for him ... for a salary .
:D that's true. there's a lot of money to be made in hip hop and personally I'm not laughing at him. like said. more power to him. seems like a go getter. I just think there's too much obscure and negative things going on in rap. that's my personal opinion. don't see why people would attack me for that ???
Old 3 January 2020, 02:36 AM   #132
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
His money
his style
his watch

And I agree.
Old 3 January 2020, 02:41 AM   #133
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post

I just now showed my 16 year old son the watch. He loves it. Different age, different influences and definitely different taste. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 3 January 2020, 02:42 AM   #134
Mystro
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

It’s no big deal. Blinged out Rolex watches were the norm a few decades ago. Without knowing the family, I can only assume they know what they are doing. It’s almost refreshing the kid wants something mechanical and not a new smart phone or tech gadget that is a paper weight in 1 year.
I detest all the judgmental value system shaming. If you got money and don’t want to hide it under a rock, then go for it loud and proud. Some don’t understand how financially diverse this country is.
It’s the wannabe’s that can’t bankroll the life style that burn out of money early and will be working the rest of their lives.
Old 3 January 2020, 02:45 AM   #135
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Awesome accomplishments for a 16 year old! Please people stop with the diamond bashing! Everyone does not get excited about a plain jane black and white Submariner. I call it black and white because no matter if you take a pic in color on in black and white it looks the same. BOOORRRINNGG!
Old 3 January 2020, 02:54 AM   #136
Henry F.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Blinged out Rolex watches were the norm a few decades ago.
Bling is still a norm...look at gucci mane's chandelier RM...super "in" right now in the rap scene...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 75497033_386113335501720_6652698087784564411_n.jpg (64.5 KB, 384 views)
Old 3 January 2020, 02:58 AM   #137
OmaniRolex
"TRF" Member

Is there verification that this kid is into rap or is it just an assumption based on this forum thread on what this watch represents?

Old 3 January 2020, 03:00 AM   #138
Overwound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssunnylee24 View Post
How does a 16 year old save up for few years and buy a Rolex?
It is a young age for buying this type of item but everyone's situation is different. Maybe he doesn't have to save for a car. I had to sell my dirt bike and use that money towards my first car, a pre-owned Toyota.

On the other hand a friend's father who owned a private insurance company got his son a new Acura, while in 10th grade. Before high school graduation he was in a BMW Z3. I was finally able to get my car after HS due to timing and money. I can tell you that being 17 and riding on a school bus sucked!
Old 3 January 2020, 03:08 AM   #139
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overwound View Post
It is a young age for buying this type of item but everyone's situation is different. Maybe he doesn't have to save for a car. I had to sell my dirt bike and use that money towards my first car, a pre-owned Toyota.

On the other hand a friend's father who owned a private insurance company got his son a new Acura, while in 10th grade. Before high school graduation he was in a BMW Z3. I was finally able to get my car after HS due to timing and money. I can tell you that being 17 and riding on a school bus sucked!
I rode the school bus from first day of kindergarten in 1971-last day of school in 1984!! No new BMW for me. I had fixer uppers. Didn't get first new car until late 20's and bought with my own money.
Old 3 January 2020, 03:16 AM   #140
Brew
"TRF" Member

I walked to school, . . . backwards!
Old 3 January 2020, 03:34 AM   #141
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I’m surprised people are surprised that TRF is not mod watch friendly. Not sure why here and elsewhere though so many must always comment just to say not for me.

OP good luck to your son in his career path towards a jeweler
Old 3 January 2020, 03:42 AM   #142
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
I’m surprised people are surprised that TRF is not mod watch friendly. Not sure why here and elsewhere though so many must always comment just to say not for me.
This is the great hypocrisy of watch forums.
Old 3 January 2020, 03:43 AM   #143
Henry F.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmaniRolex View Post
Is there verification that this kid is into rap or is it just an assumption based on this forum thread on what this watch represents?

great question. for now it is an assumption based on the watch. but it actually does not really matter. I also think that kid can do what he wants with his money and looks like he does great. god bless
Old 3 January 2020, 03:50 AM   #144
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
All of the hateful comments on this thread alone - not withstanding others I have merely passed up lately - truly astonish me.

True watch enthusiasts do not respond in those ways. PERIOD.
Old 3 January 2020, 03:55 AM   #145
89Sem
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
Congratulations! It might not be everyone’s cup of tea but it is his, as is the watch. This post should be more about hard work and setting goals than the watch it’s self. I like the fact that it’s not another apple watch and he can maybe appreciate the complexity of how a mechanical watch works.

With that said I would have picked up something more affordable and saved the money to invest. It was something I had to figure out on my own and I wish someone would’ve given me that advice at 16!
Old 3 January 2020, 04:01 AM   #146
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Personally, I hate the watch.
But I love that father and son are bonding over it.
I would be so happy if either of my kids got into it.
Old 3 January 2020, 04:05 AM   #147
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry F. View Post
I don't understand why some people pull the racist card or anything...look at Paul wall and Johnny dang. huge hip hop icons and super influential in Texas...what's the problem with it ? I don't see any. that's just the way it is...
Quote:
or for people who know newer stuff...here's Johnny dang with post malone (also a Texas kid)...I personally don't see the problem here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmaniRolex View Post

Quote:
great question. for now it is an assumption based on the watch. but it actually does not really matter. I also think that kid can do what he wants with his money and looks like he does great. god bless
He is not and does not have interest. OP said he wants to be a jeweler not a rapper.
Old 3 January 2020, 04:06 AM   #148
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

Let the kid buy what he likes! It is his money!
Old 3 January 2020, 04:11 AM   #149
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

I like these types of threads (other mods may not be of the same mind).

A contentious original thread brings the strongly opinionated in and much is said during the course of the thread, whereby we get a glimpse into the "type" of folk who throw their opinions in.

Sometimes (as is the case here) these threads act as the final post of one or more members. Other times the mods make a backstage mark and the exit for the member is the next time they poo the bed.

We could have a less busy forum and my scythe is plenty sharp, but consensus is that as-it-currenty-is will make do; approx 15 bans a week.
Old 3 January 2020, 04:12 AM   #150
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I don’t get what the hub bub is about.

I might have missed something??

But people talk about watches they don’t like all the time. There are threads dedicated to it?

Why is this any different?

Also, tons of comments about younger members “earning” their multi thousand dollar watch on weekend or after school jobs. And tons of skepticism.

All this seems pretty typical to me.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Closed Thread