The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 February 2022, 11:03 AM   #121
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Not a fan of any of them.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2022, 01:46 PM   #122
sleepydoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
It’s not German silver just the color looks like German silver. German silver isn’t even a technical thing it’s just a common alloy in German watchmaking that is in between silver and gold in coloration.

I forget what Rolex calls the OP41 silver dial color. It’s like sunburst sun ray or something. It might be the same as on some Daytonas but I’m not sure. It’s not the same silver as on the Datejust though it has some yellow to it. It just looks like German silver to me.

I think it’s a brass base with paint then lacquer. I think it might be electronically painted these days too so it could be like the same paint as champagne and just much less of it.

Willy Wonkas secret recipes no doubt.
Have you seen the silver sunray dials on the silver DJ and OP side by side?
sleepydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2022, 01:52 PM   #123
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
The tiffany one is the only one I wouldn't wear. These would be the absolute dogs of the lineup a few years ago. We all know it. They're probably a hit in a woke office environment. And the pink one I wouldn't wear. Definitely not Mr. Pink.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2022, 01:59 PM   #124
thenewrick
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydoc View Post

No I’d like to know if they’re different. I feel like some time ago Rolex called the silver dial something else. I tried to find it on their website and it just says silver now. I could have sworn they called it sun dust or sun burst or something in their description.
Old 26 February 2022, 02:55 PM   #125
lifebreath
"TRF" Member

No. It’s not, and it will never be.
lifebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2022, 03:12 PM   #126
CanadaDan
"TRF" Member

I think the Op is most versatile, most definitely! Imho. Wont ever be the sub or replace it though.
Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
CanadaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2022, 07:49 PM   #127
jmeds75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 41 Blue
Different strokes for different folks - Rolex seems to have cast a wider net with these new OPs - I think Rolex probably couldn’t be happier with the hype on their base watch.
jmeds75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2022, 10:32 PM   #128
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

OP is more appealing to me than the other sport Rolexes simply because of the elegant slim lugs and generally understated looks. I have the 114300, and it's a firm favourite.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2022, 11:59 PM   #129
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
This is an old thread, and I don’t think I saw it last year. But just lol. The sub is an icon full stop. Worn by people doing history, world leaders, divers, and in combat. The only other Rolex that really has the same heritage is the gmt.

These are fashion watches.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 12:07 AM   #130
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
It’s not German silver just the color looks like German silver. German silver isn’t even a technical thing it’s just a common alloy in German watchmaking that is in between silver and gold in coloration.

I forget what Rolex calls the OP41 silver dial color. It’s like sunburst sun ray or something. It might be the same as on some Daytonas but I’m not sure. It’s not the same silver as on the Datejust though it has some yellow to it. It just looks like German silver to me.

I think it’s a brass base with paint then lacquer. I think it might be electronically painted these days too so it could be like the same paint as champagne and just much less of it.

Willy Wonkas secret recipes no doubt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydoc View Post
OP and DJ silver dials are the same silver as far as I can tell. What gives the OP dial that champagne-like hue is the reflection of the YG hour markers and hands on that silver. Changes a lot depending on the light and looks beautiful, IMO. Fairly unique in the lineup, at least among steel watches.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 12:09 AM   #131
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
This is an old thread, and I don’t think I saw it last year. But just lol. The sub is an icon full stop. Worn by people doing history, world leaders, divers, and in combat. The only other Rolex that really has the same heritage is the gmt.

Wasn't it an OP that first swam the English Channel?
Old 27 February 2022, 12:38 AM   #132
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Wasn't it an OP that first swam the English Channel?

Yes, and each model can claim some feet here and there same as any other watch company. The OP was worn in a staged publicity event and got no deeper than a couple of feet. Yes the channel was deep but she got no deeper than a bathtub.

Sit down and really consider the tool watch heritage of the sub, and you let me know how it stacks up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 February 2022, 12:46 AM   #133
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Yes, and each model can claim some feet here and there same as any other watch company. The OP was worn in a staged publicity event and got no deeper than a couple of feet. Yes the channel was deep but she got no deeper than a bathtub.

Sit down and really consider the tool watch heritage of the sub, and you let me know how it stacks up.

But consider how few watches could even be submerged in a bathtub at the time of that swim.

Had Rolex not first engineered a watertight case, it never would have progressed to one that could withstand the pressure of 300m.
Old 27 February 2022, 02:14 AM   #134
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
But consider how few watches could even be submerged in a bathtub at the time of that swim.

Had Rolex not first engineered a watertight case, it never would have progressed to one that could withstand the pressure of 300m.

Listen, I’m not saying that was not a breakthrough at the time and indeed it was. The oyster case the precursor to the sub.

But the sub was worn by the navy (US and British) Jacques Cousteau, yachting teams, ranulph fiennes, etc) etc. the sub broke ground as a dive watch, but what I’m talking about it’s it’s use in people doing history wearing the watch as a tool day to day.

But let’s look at these releases. I mean an array of watches released in every color possible. Great for coordinating outfits but it’s not a sub.

Old 27 February 2022, 02:18 AM   #135
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
Come on this was an old post when the new OPs came out regarding popularity. Obviously there is no comparison on design, finish, long term legacy, etc.
Old 27 February 2022, 02:29 AM   #136
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The Oyster Perpetual is the quintessential sport/professional Rolex. All the other Rolex sport watches are variants of the OP, this is why the first two words beneath ROLEX on the dials of Subs, GMTs, Daytonas, etc. are "Oyster Perpetual".

Rolex don't make "fashion watches".
Old 27 February 2022, 02:32 AM   #137
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
The Oyster Perpetual is the quintessential sport/professional Rolex. All the other Rolex sport watches are variants of the OP, this is why the first two words beneath ROLEX on the dials of Subs, GMTs, Daytonas, etc. are "Oyster Perpetual".

Rolex don't make "fashion watches".

Really, what color does the OP not come in?

The OP was the precursor yes, it’s not a sub or gmt and was not relied upon in combat and by the folks I mentioned as it lacked the functionality. If it was, Cousteau would have worn the OP-he didn’t.

Old 27 February 2022, 02:32 AM   #138
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
Come on this was an old post when the new OPs came out regarding popularity. Obviously there is no comparison on design, finish, long term legacy, etc.
FWIW, I have two different Subs, one is a 5513, the other a 16610. My OP is equivalent, or arguably better than both in terms of design and finish. As for "long term legacy" (whatever that means) the OP is the granddaddy of the others.
Old 27 February 2022, 02:35 AM   #139
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Really, what color does the OP not come in?

The OP was the precursor yes, it’s not a sub or gmt and was not relied upon in combat and by the folks I mentioned as it lacked the functionality. If it was, Cousteau would have worn the OP-he didn’t.
So what? A very famous female free-diver used a Datejust for her dives.

What's wrong with offering different colour dials? Look at the DD, SkyDweller, and DJ for different dials. Daytonas are black or white. Are these fashion watches?
Old 27 February 2022, 02:45 AM   #140
OYptL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Invicta
Sub ND gets my vote over all of them(Sub date included). For me it’s just not even close.
OYptL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 02:52 AM   #141
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/di...spatches-rolex
Old 27 February 2022, 02:54 AM   #142
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:

What's wrong with offering different colour dials? Look at the DD, SkyDweller, and DJ for different dials. Daytonas are black or white. Are these fashion watches?

Today, yea. The reality is the 5 digits marked the end of the tool watch era. Using cereal bowl “technology” on bezels means they are all fashion watches at this point.

But I’m not discounting that some famous people wore the OP. There was a reason why is was not issued to the military. It’s not the sub.

Old 27 February 2022, 03:00 AM   #143
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Today, yea. The reality is the 5 digits marked the end of the tool watch era. Using cereal bowl “technology” on bezels means they are all fashion watches at this point.

But I’m not discounting that some famous people wore the OP. There was a reason why is was not issued to the military. It’s not the sub.
I think you're talking absolute nonsense, and I own the exact model (5513) which was modified to produce the MilSub.

Subs ceased to be "tool watches" with the advent of the dive computer in 1983, and 300m WR is overkill as very few humans have ever been to that depth. The vast majority of dives are <30m, and most are <10m.
Old 27 February 2022, 03:13 AM   #144
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think you're talking absolute nonsense, and I own the exact model (5513) which was modified to produce the MilSub.

Subs ceased to be "tool watches" with the advent of the dive computer in 1983, and 300m WR is overkill as very few humans have ever been to that depth. The vast majority of dives are &lt;30m, and most are &lt;10m.

Lol. Just lol. Most wore watches on a regular basis until about 2000. Most jobs did not involve any kind of regular interaction with computers until the 1990’s and can recall getting my first one back in college in the mid 1990’s. I mean yea, I had a commodore in like 1985 that was a glorified calculator.

Rolex began getting more expensive with the 5 digits, but watches were well relied upon and indeed there are 5 digit comex subs, so yea no computers underwater.

Old 27 February 2022, 03:26 AM   #145
rolexjackson
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, GMT, Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malum View Post
Look like the swatch I bought for my daughter when she was 6 .

Frankly I’d rather have a Swatch than one of these

rolexjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 03:29 AM   #146
Watch Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114200
My OP34 is the new Submariner? Fantastic!
Watch Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 03:34 AM   #147
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
It’s funny reading how much hate the OP41 bright coloured dials are getting. It reminds me of the hate I read for the 116610LV a.k.a “Hulk” in 2014 when I bought mine.
Vetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 04:02 AM   #148
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
Quote:
FWIW, I have two different Subs, one is a 5513, the other a 16610. My OP is equivalent, or arguably better than both in terms of design and finish. As for "long term legacy" (whatever that means) the OP is the granddaddy of the others.
You know what that means - OP is in a lesser class, both functionally and historically. I don’t know what else to say, it is what it is. Check out Hazif - the finish is not on par with better rolex models. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hsPZURSJEDQ
Old 27 February 2022, 04:05 AM   #149
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lol. Just lol. Most wore watches on a regular basis until about 2000. Most jobs did not involve any kind of regular interaction with computers until the 1990’s and can recall getting my first one back in college in the mid 1990’s. I mean yea, I had a commodore in like 1985 that was a glorified calculator.

Rolex began getting more expensive with the 5 digits, but watches were well relied upon and indeed there are 5 digit comex subs, so yea no computers underwater.
I suggest you find out what a dive computer is.
Old 27 February 2022, 04:09 AM   #150
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
You know what that means - OP is in a lesser class, both functionally and historically. I don’t know what else to say, it is what it is. Check out Hazif - the finish is not on par with better rolex models. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hsPZURSJEDQ
Wow. "A lesser class". Snobbish negativity.

The OP is the watch which Rolex claim went up Everest with Hillary's 1953 expedition. But it's not good enough for some people!

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/fo...e-pics-details