The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 July 2021, 08:59 AM   #121
rfiorito
"TRF" Member

Watch: D-Blue
How did you resolve the issue?
rfiorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 09:00 AM   #122
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
There are many, many business that charge the additional cost/fee to the consumer, that they have to pay to the credit card company.

There is nothing illegal or unusual with this practice. Only you can decide if you want to incur this additional service fee.
^ This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VISA, Inc.
In the United States, as a result of a legal settlement to resolve claims brought by a group of U.S. merchants, merchants in the U.S. and U.S. territories may add a surcharge to certain credit card transactions, starting January 27, 2013. Merchants who choose to surcharge must follow consumer disclosure and other requirements agreed to as part of the settlement.
and
Quote:
Originally Posted by VISA, Inc.
Q. What laws exist that may relate to surcharging?
Currently, 10 U.S. states have surcharging restrictions including California, Colorado,
Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma and Texas. Please
consult with legal counsel to determine whether your [merchant] practices comply with relevant state
law.
Here is the Q&A for merchants on the Visa, Inc. website.

Surcharging Credit Cards - Q&A for Merchants

Stan (retired from Visa International, Global Strategy and Planning)
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite, Seiko SSC813 quartz solar powered chronograph
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 12:48 PM   #123
drmizzou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector!
I’m pretty sure I know the AD of which your speak of, OP. I had purchased nearly $100k worth of watches and jewelry and they always took my CC. Once the market started getting hot they started to ask for check or wire for the “hot” Rolex models or would add the CC fee to the final sale price. Even thought I did get an additional piece or two from this AD and wired them, it put a bad taste in my mouth and I’ve since moved on and stopped doing business with them.
Pepsi GMT 126710BLRO
White DaytonaC 116500
Omega Seamaster 50th Anniv Bond OHMSS
Omega Seamaster Bond titanium
drmizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 01:01 PM   #124
ronsetoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atone View Post
They can offer a cash discount but not a CC use up charge. The latter is illegal.
No it is not, depending on the state, as long as it is posted correctly. I am in the business and now more than ever I set up more and more merchants with surcharging everyday

edit. I will also say that businesses making certain amount of $$ deposits will also be charged fees over x amount per month, depending on the bank. The surcharge is a win win for the retailer
ronsetoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2021, 04:25 PM   #125
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slus View Post
I asked if the AD would prefer cash for the sale to avoid the CC fees and they said no way, no cash accepted for watch purchases to avoid money laundering and tourists switching american dollars for hard assets to bring back into their country and sell. I don't really understand either of those points, but gladly took the CC rewards on the purchase.

Oddly enough, when I offered cash and they said no, they told me I had the option of 12 month 0% financing if I didn't want to put it on my card...which seemed like it was just a Tourneau credit card with zero interest for the first 12 months? Very odd offer.

An AD I purchased from mentioned that it didn't matter (discount wise) paying physical cash, card, wire. No additional discount (eg 2-3%) based on payment method.

That being said - they did not pass the fees for the charge on to me. I have seen this disclosed for certain services (property taxes, for rent back when I was renting, etc) but never on physical goods like a watch....
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote