The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 June 2024, 11:21 PM   #121
Osmin
"TRF" Member

I have never heard of that. Thanks for the link. However, I don’t find any other source that states that.
Would be interested to see if the LEC has the symbol for single or double coating.
Osmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2024, 02:27 AM   #122
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
6263 - had an aluminium bezel sat inside metal ring .. so the 126 certainly is an ode to OG Daytona …

That image is the key thing to note when evaluating the 126500. If you look at the complaints about the 126 they are all complaints about the older models too. From the original models all the way up through the Zenith models, one or more of the following would apply - "too much open dial", "markers are too thin", "subdial rings lack weight", "don't like the ring around the bezel insert", etc.

What I love about this latest generation is all the nods to the classic Daytonas. The 116 is drop dead gorgeous, so I definitely don't want to split hairs here. I would have been THRILLED to get one of those too. But the notion that Rolex has moved the model into uncharted territory is off base IMO.

But most importantly, it's not a competition. Neither one has to be "best". All I know is this new watch looks awesome and I'm super lucky to have one. I don't need to tear down anybody else's dream watch to be able to enjoy my dream watch.

DSC_6927_DxO.jpg

DSC_6919_DxO.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
I know the 116500s have AR coating. There is a new double AR coating on the 12 series. This is what I meant.

Crowning the dial is the latest generation of scratch-resistant sapphire crystal. Its ballistic shield-like resistance is augmented by a new proprietary anti-reflective nano-coating applied to both upper and underside surfaces. This coating provides the ref. 126500 with remarkable color stability and clarity free from refraction under all lighting environments. The new coating technology also offers greater scratch resistance over previous Daytona crystals, ensuring optimum optical clarity is maintained over years of use.

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...ing-guide.html
I feel like Bob's is ad-libbing a bit here. It took me a few mins to get a picture, but the LEC on the 126500 indicates under coating, not top and bottom.

DSC_6934_DxO.jpg

reference:

lec.jpg
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2024, 03:14 AM   #123
928ktgold
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: what’s next.
Quote:
I know the 116500s have AR coating. There is a new double AR coating on the 12 series. This is what I meant.

Crowning the dial is the latest generation of scratch-resistant sapphire crystal. Its ballistic shield-like resistance is augmented by a new proprietary anti-reflective nano-coating applied to both upper and underside surfaces. This coating provides the ref. 126500 with remarkable color stability and clarity free from refraction under all lighting environments. The new coating technology also offers greater scratch resistance over previous Daytona crystals, ensuring optimum optical clarity is maintained over years of use.

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...ing-guide.html
That would be great but doubt Rolex would AR coat the outside at it would scratch off easily. Rolex does things for the log term. I wouldn’t trust bob’s watches text they need to add content to their website. Can you find the Rolex text saying this? I haven’t seen it anywhere. I’ll check my LEC again
928ktgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2024, 04:16 AM   #124
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 928ktgold View Post
That would be great but doubt Rolex would AR coat the outside at it would scratch off easily. Rolex does things for the log term. I wouldn’t trust bob’s watches text they need to add content to their website. Can you find the Rolex text saying this? I haven’t seen it anywhere. I’ll check my LEC again
I posted a pic of my 126500 LEC in the post above yours. No sign of the flat line that indicates outer AR coating. I've never seen Rolex miss an opportunity to market something, so if they had developed some new "nano-coating" with greater clarity and scratch resistance something tells me we would have heard elsewhere by now.
Old 3 June 2024, 07:05 AM   #125
928ktgold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
I posted a pic of my 126500 LEC in the post above yours. No sign of the flat line that indicates outer AR coating. I've never seen Rolex miss an opportunity to market something, so if they had developed some new "nano-coating" with greater clarity and scratch resistance something tells me we would have heard elsewhere by now.
Exactly
Old 3 June 2024, 07:07 AM   #126
Deppe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That image is the key thing to note when evaluating the 126500. If you look at the complaints about the 126 they are all complaints about the older models too. From the original models all the way up through the Zenith models, one or more of the following would apply - "too much open dial", "markers are too thin", "subdial rings lack weight", "don't like the ring around the bezel insert", etc.

What I love about this latest generation is all the nods to the classic Daytonas. The 116 is drop dead gorgeous, so I definitely don't want to split hairs here. I would have been THRILLED to get one of those too. But the notion that Rolex has moved the model into uncharted territory is off base IMO.

But most importantly, it's not a competition. Neither one has to be "best". All I know is this new watch looks awesome and I'm super lucky to have one. I don't need to tear down anybody else's dream watch to be able to enjoy my dream watch.
To be fair, that can be said about the retrospective criticism about the 116500 as well.

“The all ceramic bezel looks dated without the metal ring” - well, lots of the old models had a one-material bezel. Back then it was just all metal.

“The dial looks to cramped with the bold subdials” - the old ones had full subdials.

Etc. however, one material critism about the 126500 is not a criticism of any older models - the new case design, where they have actually moved away from the design of the older Daytonas. Plenty of people like the new case because it is beefier or because of the symmetrical lugs or the crown guards etc. so whether it is a negative is subjective, but it is still a departure from the old school case design of the Daytona.

That being said, I do agree that there is no such thing as “best”. For me, personally it does not make sense to think the 116 looks ridiculous but love the 126 or vice versa. At the end of the day, the 116 and the 126 are both two handsome watches and 99% of people won’t be able to tell the difference anyways and with the 126 and the 116 there are something for everybody (unless you are one of the 1% that gets to buy at MSRP, then your are “limited” to the 126, but I won’t feel sorry for you there )
Deppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2024, 07:46 AM   #127
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deppe View Post
one material critism about the 126500 is not a criticism of any older models - the new case design, where they have actually moved away from the design of the older Daytonas. Plenty of people like the new case because it is beefier or because of the symmetrical lugs or the crown guards etc. so whether it is a negative is subjective, but it is still a departure from the old school case design of the Daytona.
Were the old 4-digit Cosmographs and Daytonas asymmetric lugs? In the pics they always appear the same to me (excluding over-polished examples ) I thought it was only modern Daytonas, and even then only steel-cased models, which had the asymmetric lugs.
Old 3 June 2024, 06:15 PM   #128
Deppe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Were the old 4-digit Cosmographs and Daytonas asymmetric lugs? In the pics they always appear the same to me (excluding over-polished examples ) I thought it was only modern Daytonas, and even then only steel-cased models, which had the asymmetric lugs.
That is a good question, and I don’t know the answer. According to Padi, it has been the case back for 40+ years which would include the 4 digit Daytonas: https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...8&postcount=18

However, I was thinking more in terms of the overall case shape, where the 126 is more slab-sided and have the “elephants”-feet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0330.jpeg (132.6 KB, 285 views)
Old 3 June 2024, 07:37 PM   #129
928ktgold

Quote:
That is a good question, and I don’t know the answer. According to Padi, it has been the case back for 40+ years which would include the 4 digit Daytonas: https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...8&postcount=18

However, I was thinking more in terms of the overall case shape, where the 126 is more slab-sided and have the “elephants”-feet.
126500 has the for but it’s not flat on the side. It still has its curves
Old 3 June 2024, 08:22 PM   #130
Deppe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
126500 has the for but it’s not flat on the side. It still has its curves
Yes it has curves, but from what I have read, it is my impression that it is still more "flat" than the 116500 - maybe somebody who owns both can chime in here.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I am not saying that the profile of the 126 is completely flat, but that it is now closer to that of a Sub or a GMT in the case profile with regards to the rounding.
Old 3 June 2024, 10:46 PM   #131
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
Is there a Daytona Appreciation thread ? sure I saw one, can't bloomin find it ...
Paul Newman

Being Serious = Onto the list you go
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2024, 10:47 PM   #132
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Thanks for these pictures, shows them in all their glory and the clear differences ..
Paul Newman

Old 3 June 2024, 11:42 PM   #133
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Gotta keep the 126 pics flowing if we are calling this an appreciation thread...

DSC_6957_DxO.jpg

Quote:
Yes it has curves, but from what I have read, it is my impression that it is still more "flat" than the 116500 - maybe somebody who owns both can chime in here.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I am not saying that the profile of the 126 is completely flat, but that it is now closer to that of a Sub or a GMT in the case profile with regards to the rounding.
It's funny you mention this point specifically, because the moment I put on the 126500 I immediately noticed, and loved, how much more curved the case sides are. It is nearly identical to my DJ41 in that regard. Night and day different from a modern Sub or GMT. So whether it has changed a micron from the 116500, I cannot say, but I assure you the case is nowhere near slab sided. Thankfully!

DSC_6963_DxO.jpg
Old 4 June 2024, 12:13 AM   #134
illiguy

Love the passion. 12 owners very quick to defend their reference. 11 owners the same.

As said, there isn’t a wrong choice.

Truth serum, however, would be whether if both available new from AD - 11 series and 12 series - what’s the choice?

I know a couple of folks who purposefully chose the 11 when they had the option to go 12 late 2023.

P.S. I choose both, as own the 11 white and have deposit paid with AD on the 12 white.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 12:23 AM   #135
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Attachment 1438478

Attachment 1438479

I feel like Bob's is ad-libbing a bit here. It took me a few mins to get a picture, but the LEC on the 126500 indicates under coating, not top and bottom.

Attachment 1438480

reference:

Attachment 1438481
Nice pictures and thanks for the LEC picture!
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 12:23 AM   #136
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Gotta keep the 126 pics flowing if we are calling this an appreciation thread...

Attachment 1438586

It's funny you mention this point specifically, because the moment I put on the 126500 I immediately noticed, and loved, how much more curved the case sides are. It is nearly identical to my DJ41 in that regard. Night and day different from a modern Sub or GMT. So whether it has changed a micron from the 116500, I cannot say, but I assure you the case is nowhere near slab sided. Thankfully!

Attachment 1438587
Nice shots!
Old 4 June 2024, 12:25 AM   #137
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Love the passion. 12 owners very quick to defend their reference. 11 owners the same.

Truth serum, however, would be whether if both available new from AD - 11 series and 12 series - what’s the choice?

I know a couple of folks who purposefully chose the 11 when they had the option to go 12 late 2023.

P.S. I choose both, as own the 11 white and have deposit paid with AD on the 12 white.
I have both and I would say that I prefer the 126500 for the bezel ring, the thinner indices and subdials, the new endlink design and the overall comfort on the wrist. I prefer the 116500 for the slimmer case shape and jubilee option. No wrong choice here!
Old 4 June 2024, 12:29 AM   #138
928ktgold

New Daytona 126500 Appreciation Post and Comparison vs 116500

Quote:

You should consider the black as well. I’ve had the white 116500 and traded it in for the 126500 white. Always been team white dial. My dad had the 116500 black and I’ve borrowed it but knew if I had a choice I’d pick the white dial.
Last week we traded his old black dial for the new 126500 black and it’s the first time I’m jealous. The new black dial with its glossy black dial and new brighter chrome subdial rings may make the black pop more than the white?!

I compared the glossy black and chrome pop from my no date sub but no comparison

Lots of flare in the new 126500LN black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4 June 2024, 12:33 AM   #139
illiguy

Quote:
You should consider the black as well. I’ve had the white 116500 and traded it in for the 126500 white. Always been team white dial. My dad had the 116500 black and I’ve borrowed it but knew if I had a choice I’d pick the white dial.
Last week we traded his old black dial for the new 126500 black and it’s the first time I’m jealous. The new black dial with its glossy black dial and new brighter chrome subdial rings may make the black pop more than the white?!

I compared the glossy black and chrome pop from my no date sub but no comparison

Lots of flare in the new 126500LN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve seriously debated switching my preference to the Black 12 series. One, to avoid redundancy with the 11 white I already have and, two, because I like the black 12 more than the 11 version.

My hesitation is also two-fold. I plan to gift to my father the white 11 or white 12, and I actually like a black 16520 zenith better than the black 11 or 12!
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 01:08 AM   #140
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

The 126 Black is very impressive I must say …
Paul Newman

Old 4 June 2024, 01:12 AM   #141
928ktgold

Quote:
I’ve seriously debated switching my preference to the Black 12 series. One, to avoid redundancy with the 11 white I already have and, two, because I like the black 12 more than the 11 version.

My hesitation is also two-fold. I plan to gift to my father the white 11 or white 12, and I actually like a black 16520 zenith better than the black 11 or 12!
New 126 black dial is very very zenith like
Old 4 June 2024, 02:00 AM   #142
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Well done! The 12 black is beautiful!!
Old 4 June 2024, 04:13 AM   #143
Blanch
"TRF" Member

The 11 series is more sporty.
The 12 series is more dressy.
Blanch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 06:49 AM   #144
rolesor2022
Banned

Quote:

Agreed. The 12 black is the absolute winner. It's incredibly sublime. Everything about it screams perfect Daytona to me. Way better than the white dial and WAY better than the 11 series both black and white. The true winner
rolesor2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 07:07 AM   #145
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by karleone View Post
I've had my white 126500 for a few weeks now, and I absolutely love it!
I've always been a fan of the Daytona and have owned my black 116500 since 2018. It's been my daily beater for many years, and I enjoy wearing it on the super jubilee.

When the 126500 was announced a year ago, I wasn't totally convinced, especially about the new case design. However, after owning it for a few weeks, I find it to be an upgrade:

- The metal ring around the ceramic is stunning
- The thinner indices and subdials give it a more refined appearance
- The new symmetrical case boasts a bulkier profile with larger crownguards and lugs. Additionally, the new case and endlink design make the 126500 more comfortable on my wrist compared to the 116500 when on the oyster bracelet

Here are a few pictures.

Here are some comparison pics

And finally the 116500 in white vs 126500 in white

I have many more pictures on my Instagram page:
karleoneSub16610

Big congrats
But to say the metal ring is “stunning”? C’mon.
Old 4 June 2024, 08:16 AM   #146
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
Big congrats
But to say the metal ring is “stunning”? C’mon.
I would describe it the same way, but I fully recognize it's a polarizing feature. There's surely some other guy out there who is going to say he can't stand how it looks or how it "ruins the watch". To me it is the most immediately recognizable change about the 126 so I can understand strong feelings about it in both directions.
Old 4 June 2024, 10:18 AM   #147
USMC034L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs, GMT, DJ, PAM
I'd be interested to hear from some of the folks who either own both the 11 and 12 references, or have substantial time handling both regarding why there seems to be a general consensus in preference of white for the 11 series, and black for the new 12 series. I've seen a lot of opinions seemingly fall this way, with minimal data to support the "why"
Old 4 June 2024, 10:32 AM   #148
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I have officially crossed sides, and a BIG fan of the 126500. I am sorry, but this watch is just too darn nice compared to the 116500. The case dimensions are perfect now, the symmetrical lugs are amazing. I did not love the ring, but now I get it.

I handled a black dial, and I never even realized they put chrome rings on the subdial. What a cool touch! However the white dial is the one I would take :)
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 11:06 AM   #149
928ktgold

New Daytona 126500 Appreciation Post and Comparison vs 116500

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC034L View Post
I'd be interested to hear from some of the folks who either own both the 11 and 12 references, or have substantial time handling both regarding why there seems to be a general consensus in preference of white for the 11 series, and black for the new 12 series. I've seen a lot of opinions seemingly fall this way, with minimal data to support the "why"

I’ve had both of each 116500ln and 126. I was not feeling the bezel ring before and the thin subdial rings on the white initially as it looked anemic on the 126500 white. I did like the thinner silver rings initially on the new 126 as I thought they were too pale and big on the 116500 black. I also really appreciate the small case size on the 116 and its asymmetrical right lugs to balance out the visual “weight” of the crowns.

With the white 116500 we’re all used to seeing thick subdial rings and the bold sold bezel. It’s what attracted us to that model initially. It created a lot of hype for the watch and I was along for the ride.

After new releases arrived in dealers I visited one of our trusted greys here and saw the black first. Very shiny and didn’t not wear substantially bigger than the prior reference.

Then the curiosity bug hit me. Let me see the new white dial

As soon as I saw it I did feel it be the evolved iteration of the Daytona. The bezel ring integrates the bezel to the watch for me. I always thought the full ceramic bezel felt like and afterthought in its design. In actually it is. It basically replace the steel bezel in the 116500 and Rolex called it a day.

Comparing my 116500 white and the new 126500 white the new thin rings and hour markers convinced me to trade in. I love the classic zenith look. To me the 116500 that we all used to putting on a pedestal faded. I did have that watch for about 4 years so I guess had already been there a done that.

The bolder contrast of the 116500ln didn’t sing to me anymore. I now liked the classic bezel ring. Thinner black bezel and subdial rings on the white 126.

For anyone who hasn’t they still have the dream of the 116500 and that’s fine. I’m past that. So I trade in to the 126500LN white and couldn’t be happier.

With the black 116500 the solid bezel blends in with the black dial well. It didn’t contrast as wildly as the white 116. After having the 126500 white for 2 months though I got the itch and traded that one too for the new reference. The black ones were always my dad’s watch.

We still have a 116500LN white for my mom and wouldn’t trade that one as the smaller case fits her better and would still like to keep that reference in the family.

Lastly I have 116519LN silver panda. I’d trade it for the new version probably but the changes aren’t as obvious to me to have to pay close to $10k to make that trade. For the steel versions though the money difference was worth it!

Old 4 June 2024, 11:09 AM   #150
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Both look great! Like the black on jubilee