The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 June 2024, 11:14 AM   #121
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

What about non-Rolex? My Rolex AD also carries H. Moser and Mayors in Tampa are getting allocated just one Streamliner Purple Haze... and they reserved it for me.

Imagine if your Rolex AD received only one SS ceramic Daytona, or just one OP celebration, or just one Pepsi a year. In a few years, the newly added Rolex facility will increase production and service capabilities.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 12:00 PM   #122
Sglider
"TRF" Member

see my other posts. I've not had the experiences of others. I haven't bought anything but Rolex watches from Rolex dealers outside my GMT. I asked for certain watches, received them, didn't spend a nickel on any jewelry, just business.

Some things that people describe here are foreign to me. My kid expressed the same thing to me, he has the bright blue DJ 41. Some guy he works with is all caught up in the internet fantasyland of, "hey, you have build a relationship, blah, blah, blah..."

Just not true for some of us.
Sglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 12:13 PM   #123
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
People say this, but we have seen many threads where the SA has said, “you’re never getting a [x watch] and they are upset about that too.”
I get it - the truth hurts but at least you know where you stand.
Old 21 June 2024, 12:14 PM   #124
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive Drab View Post
Kyle treated me the same, got me a watch quickly, and im only there for business 6x a year.
Kyle is great, they do a great job focusing on the customers.
Old 21 June 2024, 12:15 PM   #125
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade_M View Post
Same for me at Orrs! Always very nice and pleasant. Also very straight forward and realistic.
Exactly - they are very honest but also welcoming. I only bought non-Rolex there but hopeful for a Rolex at some point at Orr’s.
Old 21 June 2024, 06:26 PM   #126
Stupot
"TRF" Member

Original poster is from the UK, this is important to his valid gripe.

There looks to be a huge discrepancy over location.

Generalizing greatly, America seem to be getting better treatment/customer service, which we envy you for.

Not sure whether this is a cultural difference or whether its due to the AD's not being as big chain based.

As I've mentioned before, in the UK Watches of Switzerland group have what feel like almost a monopoly, and if you don't have an independent local to you its a mammoth challenge to be taken seriously/treated correctly.
Stupot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 06:41 PM   #127
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot View Post

Generalizing greatly, America seem to be getting better treatment/customer service, which we envy you for.

Not sure whether this is a cultural difference or whether its due to the AD's not being as big chain based.

As I've mentioned before, in the UK Watches of Switzerland group have what feel like almost a monopoly, and if you don't have an independent local to you its a mammoth challenge to be taken seriously/treated correctly.
I would whole-heartedly agree here.

The USA definitely values customer service more than us over here in the UK - when I was there I was blown away by how amazing everyone was, be that in coffee shop, hotel or an AD. I'm sure there are outliers, but just from my experience it was a main takeaway from my first visit, enough to mention it to people when I got home.

Also, the USA has a much broader scope for different experiences, as there are so many independents. Here in the UK, we are not so fortunate. A lot of our independents are losing their Rolex deal. In fact, two within a 10-mile radius of me have had that happen in the last six years or so. This leaves no option but Goldsmiths or WoS, which are the same thing, lol.

The big chains suffer from things like bad training, bad locations and high staff turnovers, which all result in some poor foundations to have the very best customer experiences. (despite me being very happy with my Goldsmiths AD)
Old 21 June 2024, 07:25 PM   #128
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
AD’s attitudes

Quote:

I think culture differences between the UK and US might be the reason for a lot of the churn in some of these threads.

A while back, I recall seeing the US folks taking one side and UK folks the other side. There were some exceptions, but mostly it was divided by UK vs US. I was going to point it out, but I decided against it because I thought that would just make things worse. So, I let slide.

It’s all good. Nothing wrong with it. I think it makes TRF better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 08:39 PM   #129
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
My Rolex AD is a family owned independent. I've never had to play this game that so many people resent. I've never had an issue with WOS but I haven't used them for Rolex.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 09:02 PM   #130
JRell
"TRF" Member

Icon2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
I think culture differences between the UK and US might be the reason for a lot of the churn in some of these threads.

A while back, I recall seeing the US folks taking one side and UK folks the other side. There were some exceptions, but mostly it was divided by UK vs US. I was going to point it out, but I decided against it because I thought that would just make things worse. So, I let slide.

It’s all good. Nothing wrong with it. I think it makes TRF better.

This is interesting. Also not fair for the UK customers. Thanks for sharing.
Old 21 June 2024, 09:05 PM   #131
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I had a great AD and a terrific SA. Then my SA got sick and left. Then less than a year later the AD closed. Now I don't bother anymore. Plenty of other brands out there, and some excellent grey sellers, and they tend to treat you a lot better.
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 09:08 PM   #132
Stupot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
My Rolex AD is a family owned independent. I've never had to play this game that so many people resent. I've never had an issue with WOS but I haven't used them for Rolex.
You are in a fortunate position sir, an old school family owned independent is effectively the holy grail of AD's, and I fully understand that they would have the general ethos and sales process you would expect of the brand.

The bizarre thing about this topic is that's the very thing Rolex seem intent on trying to eradicate, striking them off one by one, favoring the large corporate chain groups.

This might sound a bit conspiracy theory, but given eradicating competition cannot under any circumstances be viewed as good for the customer, especially with the less than favorable customer journey these bigger chains then put people through, I wonder if there is more at play here. Will Rolex do a Bucherer and purchase WOS at some point, effectively giving them the direct boutique model of AP?

You should give WOS a visit just to have the "experience", I suspect you would find it somewhat challenging!

Edited this just to add, I don't necessarily mean the initial WOS contact is bad or rude, that can go wither way and is dependent on salesperson, what I was really meaning was the actual mechanics of the process of being allocated a watch. Very, very difficult to convince them you are worthy and have them deliver the goods, with all the associated other purchases and relationship games along the way.
Stupot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 09:16 PM   #133
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post

The USA definitely values customer service more than us over here in the UK - when I was there I was blown away by how amazing everyone was, be that in coffee shop, hotel or an AD. I'm sure there are outliers, but just from my experience it was a main takeaway from my first visit, enough to mention it to people when I got home.

Also, the USA has a much broader scope for different experiences, as there are so many independents. Here in the UK, we are not so fortunate. A lot of our independents are losing their Rolex deal. In fact, two within a 10-mile radius of me have had that happen in the last six years or so. This leaves no option but Goldsmiths or WoS, which are the same thing, lol.

The big chains suffer from things like bad training, bad locations and high staff turnovers, which all result in some poor foundations to have the very best customer experiences. (despite me being very happy with my Goldsmiths AD)
Well Rolex USA is a separate company from Rolex SA and rest of the world.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 10:30 PM   #134
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Remembering the OP's 1st question...
Quote:
Is there anyone sick of the attitude of AD’s, trying to make you bend over backwards to buy any watches? Rolex AD’s have terrible customer experience.

I still say there is a share of wallet objective throughout the independent AD retail channels across all their product lines including Rolex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post

Peter
I agree US does do things differently due to many reasons (laws, cultural, and competition).

All Countries have this arrangement I believe (except Switzerland).

The core policy between Rolex SA and its constituent distribution channel companies remains central to the experience.

Therefore I agree that when you are in Rome, the AD may expect a certain amount of "savior faire" while in New York "it's just business, baby".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 10:31 PM   #135
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
AD’s attitudes

Quote:

This is true in more ways than just watch buying. General life experiences in the US can be incredibly variable. High highs and very low lows.

L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 10:43 PM   #136
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
As is Rolex UK Ltd

I don't see your point?

Culture and communication transcend the name above the door. For example in some cultures, a handshake is customary, in others, it is not.

You think you get treated exactly the same in a Hard Rock Cafe in say, Germany as you would in Los Angeles? Having been to both, I can guarantee 100% that you do not.

My point is that in general, one must expect to be treated somewhat differently depending where you go. Be that Hard Rock Cafe, or across AD's in different locations, either close-by or far apart, depending where you are.
Old 21 June 2024, 11:15 PM   #137
JRell
"TRF" Member

This is one of the more interesting threads I have seen in a while. Can someone expand on the cultural and law differences between the US and the UK related to purchasing a Rolex? For example, can you create a good relationship with an AD in the UK and you get the watch you want sooner, or is there a list they have to use according to laws?
Old 21 June 2024, 11:18 PM   #138
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
You guys don’t share the same interests.

It’s time to break up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stebinners View Post
Is there anyone sick of the attitude of AD’s, trying to make you bend over backwards to buy any watches? Rolex AD’s have terrible customer experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 11:27 PM   #139
Tcw495
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stebinners View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I agree with other posters that my experience is that not all ADs are equal. I just started a relationship with a new AD and they treat me incredibly, even with limited purchase history.
Tcw495 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 11:32 PM   #140
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
This is one of the more interesting threads I have seen in a while. Can someone expand on the cultural and law differences between the US and the UK related to purchasing a Rolex? For example, can you create a good relationship with an AD in the UK and you get the watch you want sooner, or is there a list they have to use according to laws?
I can't speak much for the US, however in the UK there's nothing in the law as such, other than our basic consumer rights that can protect us in case something goes awry. There's nothing in our laws to control how retailers decide to sell their products, or who to sell them to. In fact - any retailer here can refuse to sell anything at all to whoever they want. They're under no obligation to legally sell anything.

It is a somewhat hot topic though, because of things such what we experience.

I have heard about some legal cases going on in the US where people were made to purchase XYZ on a promise that they would get [insert rare watch here] which never came - unsure how that finished up though. Whether that eventually ends up changing laws I have no idea... cannot comment on it really.

Culturally though I wouldn't say there's anything that different per sè - The basic premise is exactly the same.
Old 21 June 2024, 11:35 PM   #141
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_S_SHOE View Post
This is true in more ways than just watch buying. General life experiences in the US can be incredibly variable. High highs and very low lows.
Good point.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 11:38 PM   #142
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_S_SHOE View Post

Indeed, and I imagine myself, as a tourist, received mostly the higher end of that scale!
Old 22 June 2024, 08:18 AM   #143
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
I would say the UK has a severe problem with their Rolex distribution, it’s specifically a Watches Of Switzerland Group issue.

They have too big a stranglehold on the market. It’s stifled competition. You can only register with one outlet, so there is absolutely no competition between their own branches for business, and they have such a large footprint now they can be the only Rolex outlet for miles. I visit a lot of UK cities on business and almost everywhere I visit it’s a WOS outlet, so no point even asking. It’s almost a monopoly.

Very, very difficult to get anything out of them, and I have mid tier spend history.

I don’t really understand where they channel the watches to market.

Supply certainly doesn’t appear to me to have loosened any.
This is an exact copy of my own experiences with them.

It’s obvious to me that despite being on a ‘list’, LMAO, they are never gonna call me, which is fine, because I’m never gonna call them again either.

Can’t wait until Bucherer take over. Let’s face it, they can’t be any worse that WofS.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 09:42 AM   #144
wristivities
"TRF" Member

Get used to be being used by AD or go gray.
wristivities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 09:57 AM   #145
Bro Watch
"TRF" Member

The customer service at the Patek Philippe AD was subpar during my last visit. An employee there, who appeared to be intoxicated with a sense of self-importance, (which I believe the greatest thing he ever accomplished was getting a job at the jewelry store) attempted to exert control over the situation and insisted that I plead for the watch I was interested in. I declined to engage in such unproductive behavior and considered purchasing the watch from the Gray market instead, as I am financially capable of paying the premium. On the other hand, my contacts at Rolex have consistently provided excellent service and have been able to fulfill my requests without any unnecessary complications.

Sent from my SM-S911U1 using Tapatalk
Bro Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 05:48 PM   #146
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
This is an exact copy of my own experiences with them.

It’s obvious to me that despite being on a ‘list’, LMAO, they are never gonna call me, which is fine, because I’m never gonna call them again either.

Can’t wait until Bucherer take over. Let’s face it, they can’t be any worse that WofS.
WofS! That made me laugh.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 09:20 PM   #147
Submariner868
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaGS
My experiences have been primarily positive with the exception of one AD at a Tourneau on LI. I was interested in a 36mm Explorer, and on my best behavior - humble, polite, etc. The SA was standoffish and acted as if they were doing us a favor by even acknowledging our presence. I was with a friend - afterwards he said, “Wow. What an a hole. Why would you buy a watch from them?” I laughed. We then went to look at a Breitling he was interested in at the same location and were treated very well by a different SA. We made mention of the difference in how we were treated to the SA who said something to the effect of, “Yeah…I know.”

That said, other Rolex ADs have been very nice, offered coffee, water, given me their phone numbers, “stay in touch, it may be a while, we’ll do our best, thank you for coming in…”

A little courtesy goes a long way on both sides. I finally did get my Explorer from a Tourneau in CA after a two month wait. And yes, the SA there was terrific.

YMMV
Submariner868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 10:03 PM   #148
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I can't speak much for the US, however in the UK there's nothing in the law as such, other than our basic consumer rights that can protect us in case something goes awry. There's nothing in our laws to control how retailers decide to sell their products, or who to sell them to. In fact - any retailer here can refuse to sell anything at all to whoever they want. They're under no obligation to legally sell anything.

It is a somewhat hot topic though, because of things such what we experience.

I have heard about some legal cases going on in the US where people were made to purchase XYZ on a promise that they would get [insert rare watch here] which never came - unsure how that finished up though. Whether that eventually ends up changing laws I have no idea... cannot comment on it really.

Culturally though I wouldn't say there's anything that different per sè - The basic premise is exactly the same.
Just saw this response, thank you! I need to travel more, I live vicariously through members here. Very interesting topic.
Old 22 June 2024, 10:26 PM   #149
JonnyOld Boy
"TRF" Member

It's not just the Rolex brand that has suffered from insufferable snootiness and snobbish behaviour from Sales people. I think the whole industry for mid-to-high end watches has become an often unpleasant place to shop in. I am genuinely perplexed by anyone with a shred of self respect, who cares less about a "relationship" with an AD and cringes and fawns just to get a mass produced item of no real exclusivity. If I ever buy another luxury watch, I doubt it will be new from an AD ,, [ unless it's one of the more straight-and-narrow brands like Breitling etc etc ].
There is no way I am going to waste my time grovelling to get on some radar of a salesman in a cheap suit, smelling of indifferent aftershave, just so I "might" get a watch.
Of course I appreciate the tales of some folk on here tell a tale that is more positive and watches are got without bending over and selling your innocence, but there is too much snobbery and unpleasantness around and WoS in the UK indeed have staff that are insufferable.
JonnyOld Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2024, 10:46 PM   #150
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
I think the tides are starting to turn. I just got an ad this morning from my AD saying that for any purchase of Tudor models, they will give a Wolf Winder. Patience is key, my friend.

Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote