The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: The Supercase was a MISTAKE!
Agree 326 33.06%
Disagree 371 37.63%
I like both 203 20.59%
Don’t know / don’t care 86 8.72%
Voters: 986. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 October 2020, 01:27 PM   #151
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcut1 View Post
Not whining. Your post is stupid click-bait. Reveal that.

Period.
Lol, worked like a charm on me too and BTW, it’s actually interesting how the agree side is almost even with the disagree side!!
Old 19 October 2020, 01:48 PM   #152
ke082
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, HULK, Speedy
Yea whatever C&C wants to say. I like what I like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ke082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 03:19 PM   #153
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brny11 View Post
The irony on 116xxx lugs is great. People hate the fat lugs, it’s the worst, Rolex made a mistake, etc... Unless it is on the LV or gmt master, then it’s cool. Forum opinions are very inconsistent. Seems like people just follow the crowd nowadays.

I for one think 126xxx has subtle changes but are much more refined. They do look great. I do own a 116610ln and I am happy with it. Though if I had the opportunity I would swap. Also, I’d take a 126610lv over hulk all day.

Exactly! The gmt still has the fat lugs. Would guess Rolex will change it perhaps next year?

This video did nothing to my love for my fat lug sub!!

ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 03:26 PM   #154
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
i think it was rolex's idea to make it look larger without increasing the case but then there is no way around that.

you either increase the case or you dont.

now rolex increased the case but just made the bracelet wider. they really do not know what they want
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 03:38 PM   #155
0xalate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5167
To each their own, but I admit the newer, slimmer lugs of the 124060 looks better on alternative straps like NATOs than the outgoing 116610.
0xalate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 08:28 PM   #156
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Love it. The 11661X is a tank and suits the reference very well.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 08:31 PM   #157
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
No, it was not a mistake. The idea of a 10 year+ mistake is ridiculous. Rolex was trying to give people what they want. The giant watch trend was full swing and many people plunking down 9k in a watch want recognition for it. So the super case was a way to increase wrist presence without changing the 40mm size.

Now, was the super case a bad call. Yes. The giant lugs was the largest move Rolex ever made on the sub. It changed the lugs, the proportions of the watch became bloated. This means the watch became less versatile. Next, In the 4/5 digit subs, the bracelet blends seamlessly into the case forming perfect lines. With the super case, you get the circle on square look from above, and from the side a bracelet that looks bolted on to a case that is too large for the size of the bracelet. So you get a far, far less integrated watch than the previous generations. No people will disagree with this as they spent money on their super case subs and so will justify the price. But if they are being honest with themselves it’s less integrated due to the alterations in size and that’s not debatable. The only point to be argued is one like the less integrated look.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 09:41 PM   #158
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by e dantes View Post
Not a fan of the supercase. The chamfers on the earlier cases were a nice touch that never should have disappeared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 10:00 PM   #159
TopDog2315
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610/16570/16220
I agree it was a mistake, proportions were off and the watch looked ridiculous in my opinion. I much prefer the elegance of the 16610 as well as the vintage nostalgia it provides.

TopDog2315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 10:16 PM   #160
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrs63 View Post
Exactly! The gmt still has the fat lugs. Would guess Rolex will change it perhaps next year?

This video did nothing to my love for my fat lug sub!!
Rolex already slightly updated the lugs on the GMT. Following negative feedback on the blocky case design, Rolex sought to address this in 2017 for the 2018 launch of new GMT releases.

From Hodinkee:

“With the new GMT-Master II 126710 Rolex has subtly redesigned the 40 mm diameter case (by rounding off some the sharp edges of the case lugs) so as to create better ergonomics, and while I didn’t compare the new and old designs side-by-side, it does seem to be more comfortable on the wrist.”
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 10:17 PM   #161
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
No, it was not a mistake. The idea of a 10 year+ mistake is ridiculous. Rolex was trying to give people what they want. The giant watch trend was full swing and many people plunking down 9k in a watch want recognition for it. So the super case was a way to increase wrist presence without changing the 40mm size.

Now, was the super case a bad call. Yes. The giant lugs was the largest move Rolex ever made on the sub. It changed the lugs, the proportions of the watch became bloated. This means the watch became less versatile. Next, In the 4/5 digit subs, the bracelet blends seamlessly into the case forming perfect lines. With the super case, you get the circle on square look from above, and from the side a bracelet that looks bolted on to a case that is too large for the size of the bracelet. So you get a far, far less integrated watch than the previous generations. No people will disagree with this as they spent money on their super case subs and so will justify the price. But if they are being honest with themselves it’s less integrated due to the alterations in size and that’s not debatable. The only point to be argued is one like the less integrated look.
Most thoughtful post of the thread.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 10:18 PM   #162
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDog2315 View Post
I agree it was a mistake, proportions were off and the watch looked ridiculous in my opinion. I much prefer the elegance of the 16610 as well as the vintage nostalgia it provides.
If you prefer the 5 digit subs well the new one aint going to change your mind at all.

Like I said I've tried it on next to each other with the fat lugs and new lugs - you can hardly tell the difference. Feels 99.9% exactly the same on the wrist. Alot of ppl on here talking like its night and day difference. That's just laughable.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 10:20 PM   #163
bmb15
Banned

From a design & aesthetic point of view these "super-cases" are a nightmare compared with previous watches. Ask people that are not biased Rolex fans.
bmb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 10:31 PM   #164
Toproll85
"TRF" Member

On the part of Rolex there is no mistake.
The case and horns have been enlarged as a preventive measure for services, during which a polishing is carried out, which removes material. Spread over a lifetime that doesn't hurt. Now they have seen fit to fine tune 0.5mm, without this impacting even the use of a lifetime.
It's good. Not revolutionary or a mistake of the past, since everything has a reason, moreover the current case has been increased, they have not changed their philosophy.

Grönefeld 1941 RCF ¦ H. Moser Heritage Dual Time ¦ JLC Q1308470 ¦ L&S 1815 Up/Down ¦ L&S Zeitwerk Date ¦ UN Freak X carbonium
Toproll85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 10:36 PM   #165
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
Not touching it. 5-digit or nothing.
On top of that the 5-digit marketplace is a dream.
Old 19 October 2020, 10:37 PM   #166
Kostas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @ kostastimepieces
I like the shape of the 6 digit sub, sure its unique in design with the round dial on the square case type of look but I wouldn't call it "less integrated", in fact not many homage/brands make this type of look, they tend to follow the 5 digit and maybe the new 41 silhouette, you can see and recognise a maxi case sub

ceramic bezel action, solid link bracelet, glidelock clasp , just a joy to wear! :D

Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2020, 11:01 PM   #167
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Excellent video
Old 19 October 2020, 11:16 PM   #168
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I'll answer this way . Yes and no.

Yes it's a mistake if you don't like the way it looks and it doesn't fit your wrist.

It is not a mistake if you like the case, it fits your wrist, and you understand how many were sold over the years it was produced. If it was a mistake they would not have sold so many units and they would not command the prices they do either retail or secondary market.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 12:04 AM   #169
Highlatitude
"TRF" Member

Rolex seem to think it was otherwise they would not have dropped it from the new Subs.
Highlatitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 12:23 AM   #170
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
I chose i don't care and the reason why? It's a Rolex and your going to pick the one that fits and feels right on your wrist! you cant go wrong with either.

but, the 6 digit is just too heavy and big on MY wrist, see pics, it's a SSsubDate, the back case felt thick and on the wrist, it also felt big. I really Loved it, i tried it on a dozen times ( this was when you could pick a Rolex of you chosing back in 2017-18.

The 5 digit felt better, not as heavy and it felt great on the wrist.

i chose the 5 digit Rehaut. and never regretted it.

we pick what we like...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6digROL.1.jpg (68.2 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg 6dig.Rol.2.jpg (89.8 KB, 152 views)
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 12:34 AM   #171
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
If you prefer the 5 digit subs well the new one aint going to change your mind at all.

Like I said I've tried it on next to each other with the fat lugs and new lugs - you can hardly tell the difference. Feels 99.9% exactly the same on the wrist. Alot of ppl on here talking like its night and day difference. That's just laughable.
Rolex simply milled out more metal in between the lugs for a wider bracelet. The lugs are still bulky and square like the 11 series case. Not even close to the slim, tapered, pointy lugs of the 5 digit Subs. But some here need to convince themselves the new Sub is "superior" to the last iteration.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 12:34 AM   #172
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
here's my 5 digit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mine5.digpic.jpg (108.9 KB, 166 views)
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 12:59 AM   #173
WastedYears
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Rolex simply milled out more metal in between the lugs for a wider bracelet. The lugs are still bulky and square like the 11 series case. Not even close to the slim, tapered, pointy lugs of the 5 digit Subs. But some here need to convince themselves the new Sub is "superior" to the last iteration.
Nope.

Also, the GMT Master II has the same outside lug width of the new Sub. I know this because I just took a calipher to both watches.
WastedYears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 03:23 AM   #174
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Funny nobody here will mention that the GMT case is still basically like an 11 series Sub case. And nobody seems to think it is a mistake. Especially when they will pay almost double MSRP for a stainless steel BLRO. Oh the irony.
What is an 11 series?
Old 20 October 2020, 03:31 AM   #175
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Supercase is the BEST, period. So glad Rolex went that route. My favorite of all!

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 03:42 AM   #176
bmb15
Banned

“The Supercase was a mistake!”

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101031-28 View Post
Supercase is the BEST, period. So glad Rolex went that route. My favorite of all!

According to your profile info you have a 1665 which has a "slim" case. You still like it?
Old 20 October 2020, 03:48 AM   #177
bmb15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toproll85 View Post
The case and horns have been enlarged as a preventive measure for services, during which a polishing is carried out, which removes material.
You are joking! Rolex couldn't care less.
Old 20 October 2020, 04:18 AM   #178
TTalk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WastedYears View Post

Which of their measurements are the correct ones???

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
They addressed your questions but the video was jam packed with fast info easy to miss
At what minute mark is the comparison and measurements of the clasps? How thick/deep is the new vs the prior one? I missed that part.
TTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 04:39 AM   #179
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
Rolex already slightly updated the lugs on the GMT. Following negative feedback on the blocky case design, Rolex sought to address this in 2017 for the 2018 launch of new GMT releases.

From Hodinkee:

“With the new GMT-Master II 126710 Rolex has subtly redesigned the 40 mm diameter case (by rounding off some the sharp edges of the case lugs) so as to create better ergonomics, and while I didn’t compare the new and old designs side-by-side, it does seem to be more comfortable on the wrist.”
Total marketing bs, the lugs are the same. The only difference was the location and size of the lug holes for the jubilee spring bars. With that detail change, they exaggerated this small change and promoted the new watches with this marketing mumbo jumbo to promote the new watches as much as possible.
How else is Rolex supposed to push a new watch and make it sound soooo exciting in which the only visual change was a bracelet. And Hodinkee is regurgitating the same mumbo jumbo they were fed at Basel by Rolex regarding the releases, they even say, they didn't compare side by side.....so how do you know. That Hodinkee comment was made during Basel when journalist are allowed to spend a small amount of time with the new releases.

Many reviewers since then have put both 11 and 12 series GMTs side by side and the supposed "reshaping" is imperceptible and immeasurable. Even our owners who own both can't see it when putting the watches lug to lug.

It's a non issue, you keep pushing this lug propaganda, but the GMTs were never as large as the lugs on the Subs. It shouldn't even be a discussion as the GMTs never had any critics and just by virtue of it being updated was it ever in the same comparison with the Submariner lugs.

Think the original maxi case GMT2C was released in 2006, search the internet or even the forum from that time period and you won't find anyone complaining about the case shape or the drama about lugs or whether they are a mistake etc...
It was just a new watch and it was very popular although polarizing for those that didn't accept the ceramic bezel. That was the real last hot debate topic...the horrible ceramic bezels....now it's the lugs I guess. The irony is that this drama arises when Rolex is actually reducing them, go figure.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 04:44 AM   #180
Ranger67
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB Bluesy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Total marketing bs, the lugs are the same. The only difference was the location and size of the lug holes for the jubilee spring bars. With that detail change, they exaggerated this small change and promoted the new watches with this marketing mumbo jumbo to promote the new watches as much as possible.
How else is Rolex supposed to push a new watch and make it sound soooo exciting in which the only visual change was a bracelet. And Hodinkee is regurgitating the same mumbo jumbo they were fed at Basel by Rolex regarding the releases, they even say, they didn't compare side by side.....so how do you know. That Hodinkee comment was made during Basel when journalist are allowed to spend a small amount of time with the new releases.

Many reviewers since then have put both 11 and 12 series GMTs side by side and the supposed "reshaping" is imperceptible and immeasurable. Even our owners who own both can't see it when putting the watches lug to lug.

It's a non issue, you keep pushing this lug propaganda, but the GMTs were never as large as the lugs on the Subs. It shouldn't even be a discussion as the GMTs never had any critics and just by virtue of it being updated was it ever in the same comparison with the Submariner lugs.

Think the original maxi case GMT2C was released in 2006, search the internet or even the forum from that time period and you won't find anyone complaining about the case shape or the drama about lugs or whether they are a mistake etc...
It was just a new watch and it was very popular although polarizing for those that didn't accept the ceramic bezel. That was the real last hot debate topic...the horrible ceramic bezels....now it's the lugs I guess. The irony is that this drama arises when Rolex is actually reducing them, go figure.
Well said, it seems like the OP won’t let it go.
Ranger67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
124060 , 126610ln , 126610lv , 2020 rolex , lugs , submariner , supercase