The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 June 2024, 08:10 PM   #151
Neil McCauley
Banned

It's all subjective - lots of people for or against the daytona v speedy argument, there always will be.

For me personally, there's just too many different Speedmasters that all do exactly the same job. The Ed White will go on to be replaced many, many times over over the coming years, and will be even further removed from the watch it's based on, eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Special is subjective.

To me, the history, coolness and mystique of a Daytona trumps any Omega.
History of the Daytona? Might wanna think about that a bit closer

The Daytona was originally the goal for going to the moon, we all know how that went... It was then aimed at the Le Mans 24hrs endurance racing event, by being advertised as the "Le Mans" - but then Rolex realised that the US market at the time wouldn't care very much about a European event, and decided to run with Daytona instead. Nobody wanted the watches, AD's couldn't give them away in the early days.

I love the Daytona for what it is, it's a fantastic watch with one of the best chronograph movements ever made - but objectively, the watch is one of Rolex's greatest ever public failures in terms of marketing jobs, compared to the (somewhat creative) backstories of its other watches.
Neil McCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2024, 02:14 AM   #152
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Daytonas (Cosmographs) of the same era as the original 321, yeah. 4-digits all the way.

Modern Daytonas? no thanks. Bling for bling's sake in my opinion.

Modern 321? Okay, yeah, more to my taste as it resembles the original 321.

But my ultimate is being restored right now and is the original 321.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2024, 04:31 AM   #153
Actor07
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 126519
Quote:
Originally Posted by sski View Post
'more robust' movt. on Daytona vs. THE actual historic moonwatch movt. ? 321 wins there and it's not even close--to the moon and back!

i happen to prefer Daytona due to aesthetics and automatic winding, however- 321 is more 'special' (Daytonas are a dime a dozen.)

321 is the more special watch......Daytona arguably the more popular watch.
Actually a Daytona depending on the model is like at least (2600) U.S. Dimes and the the rarer a Daytona is the more dimes..
Actor07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2024, 05:39 AM   #154
rolesor2022
Banned

It's a plastic swatch.... Omega is a joke. So many editions, completely watered down. Daytona is arguably the most sought after watch in the history of watches. Not on the same level in terms of desirability. The market reflects that. Let's be honest.
rolesor2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2024, 05:53 AM   #155
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolesor2022 View Post
It's a plastic swatch.... Omega is a joke. So many editions, completely watered down. Daytona is arguably the most sought after watch in the history of watches. Not on the same level in terms of desirability. The market reflects that. Let's be honest.
Good one
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2024, 07:02 AM   #156
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I have to wonder if people even think about what they type these days. Don't answer, that was rhetorical.

In the Speedy vs Daytona debate, nobody should be attacking Omega for having too many versions of the Speedy. Check the catalogue for the Daytona for crying out loud. At least Omega has what is considered the "standard" hesalite moonwatch still in the catalogue, Rolex has nothing close to that.

And yea, Omega is part of the Swatch Group and is taking advantage of it. Rolex literally created a watch company for people that couldn't afford their watches. And we all know what Tudor was doing releasing the BB Chrono Panda/Reverse Panda. So let's not act like Rolex doesn't play the same games.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2024, 10:48 AM   #157
bob78h
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610
Having owned both the Daytona and 321 for a few months, each watch has its own unique appeal. The Daytona instantly catches attention from a distance—it's a Rolex Daytona, after all. For those seeking notice, the Daytona is the way to go. On the other hand, the 321 is a watch appreciated by enthusiasts. It's a technical marvel, assembled by a single watchmaker and unique at its price point. Personally, I feel a special connection when wearing the 321. If I ever need to part with one, I would choose to keep the 321, despite the Daytona likely being more valuable in the market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bob78h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2024, 08:58 AM   #158
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
In the Speedy vs Daytona debate, nobody should be attacking Omega for having too many versions of the Speedy. Check the catalogue for the Daytona for crying out loud. At least Omega has what is considered the "standard" hesalite moonwatch still in the catalogue, Rolex has nothing close to that.
As cool as I find NASA history and all that, this is the reason I got a Speedy.

Imagine if we could just walk into an AD and buy a 5513 to this day!

Omega offers ceramic and other modern versions of the Speedmaster line, but the original is still around in its late 60s state. How cool would it be if we could still do this with at even a couple of Rolex models, while they continued to sell modern versions for those who want them?
Scholar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2024, 09:03 AM   #159
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
It’s not really an OR thing. Just like you can have many Daytonas, it’s equally reasonable to have many Speedmasters.

321 is on another level in terms of the movement.

Anything else, meh…. I mean really if you’re a collector you should have multiples of both.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 01:42 AM   #160
rolesor2022
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
I have to wonder if people even think about what they type these days. Don't answer, that was rhetorical.

And yea, Omega is part of the Swatch Group and is taking advantage of it. Rolex literally created a watch company for people that couldn't afford their watches. And we all know what Tudor was doing releasing the BB Chrono Panda/Reverse Panda. So let's not act like Rolex doesn't play the same games.
No one cares. Justify all you want. At the end of the day, Daytona is king and impossible to get. Enjoy your plastic swatch that everyone in college has. Easily accessible and cheap
Old 21 June 2024, 01:48 AM   #161
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Daytona > any omega.

And this is coming from someone who loves omega

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stevestil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 02:03 AM   #162
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No one cares. Justify all you want. At the end of the day, Daytona is king and impossible to get. Enjoy your plastic swatch that everyone in college has. Easily accessible and cheap
The 321 is a plastic Swatch? Wow, I have to say it's truly amazing how Omega can make plastic look so much like metal, especially in a handmade calibre where all of the assembly steps are performed by the same watchmaker in a dedicated workshop in Switzerland. Perhaps the workshop is just a set of 3D printers churning out plastic parts all day....

Back in the real world, it's absolutely fine if you prefer the Daytona - it's a great watch, especially the current version - but surely you don't decide on which is "better" simply by how "impossible to get", or how accessible a watch is? Surely a hype-driven metric like that isn't the yardstick?
Old 21 June 2024, 02:16 AM   #163
Lever Escapement
"TRF" Member

I've never had to ask someone else what I like the most......
I prefer to know the value of things, not their price.
Lever Escapement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 04:56 AM   #164
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
The 321 is a plastic Swatch? Wow, I have to say it's truly amazing how Omega can make plastic look so much like metal, especially in a handmade calibre where all of the assembly steps are performed by the same watchmaker in a dedicated workshop in Switzerland. Perhaps the workshop is just a set of 3D printers churning out plastic parts all day....

Back in the real world, it's absolutely fine if you prefer the Daytona - it's a great watch, especially the current version - but surely you don't decide on which is "better" simply by how "impossible to get", or how accessible a watch is? Surely a hype-driven metric like that isn't the yardstick?
He's unfortunately trolling. Just let it be...

However, I don't believe the 321 movement is hand made. It may be inspected and repaired by a single guy, but the assembly is still automated. The 321 obviously has the history behind it, but it's not some high horological movement - it's a workhorse movement that can be made cheaply.
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 05:19 AM   #165
J!m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
... surely you don't decide on which is "better" simply by how "impossible to get", or how accessible a watch is? Surely a hype-driven metric like that isn't the yardstick?
I think it's great! easier to get what I want while others fight over that watch...
Old 21 June 2024, 05:22 AM   #166
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lever Escapement View Post

Great quote. I believe it’s attributed to Oscar Wilde.

I used this quote in a city hall meeting once about preserving a historic building.

jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 05:30 AM   #167
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingdoctor View Post
However, I don't believe the 321 movement is hand made. It may be inspected and repaired by a single guy, but the assembly is still automated. The 321 obviously has the history behind it, but it's not some high horological movement - it's a workhorse movement that can be made cheaply.
According to Omega, each 321 movement is entirely assembled by one watchmaker. (That’s not saying there is only one watchmaker in the entire 321 workshop who makes them all, it’s that each movement has its own dedicated watchmaker). Obviously parts aren’t handmade, but assembly of each movement is carried out by one guy. There’s a section on it on the Omega website, and there’s been a few articles on it on the net.

Agreed the 321 is a workhorse of sorts, but production was halted years ago - 1968 if I recall - so restarting production was a big deal given the effort involved, which is why it’s very much produced these days in the manner of a boutique movement.
Old 21 June 2024, 05:36 AM   #168
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingdoctor View Post
It's not hand made like a Roger Smith is hand made.

But it is a column wheel movement requiring a degree of technical skill and precision that only a certain level of watch makers possess. This is why Breguet were unable to produce enough units for Omega.

It isn't an easy watch to assemble which is why this movement was morphed into the 861 and 1861 so they could be assembled with greater ease.

The technical precession needed in this movement makes it popular with collectors, coupled with the fact it is the exact, laser scanned movement that was actually approved by nasa. Then consider the movement was hand finished and assembled entirely by hand, by the same watchmaker, twice. Not something you normally see below A Lange & Sohne or some grand or super complications from Patek.

The Daytona by comparison is not even close.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 05:55 AM   #169
VincentM
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116518-LV-CHNR-DJ-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lever Escapement View Post
I've never had to ask someone else what I like the most......

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
VincentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 06:40 AM   #170
J!m
"TRF" Member

I believe the halting of the 321 in favor of the 821 ws the ability to machine assemble, and therefore drive cost down.

3231 is assembled by one watchmaker because there is no other option for the movement. I suspect if it could have been automated in (1968 was the last year of the 321) they would have kept it, since the 861 would have to be ground-up engineered to replace a perfectly working movement...
Old 21 June 2024, 09:31 AM   #171
rolesor2022
Banned

Quote:
According to Omega, each 321 movement is entirely assembled by one watchmaker. (That’s not saying there is only one watchmaker in the entire 321 workshop who makes them all, it’s that each movement has its own dedicated watchmaker). Obviously parts aren’t handmade, but assembly of each movement is carried out by one guy. There’s a section on it on the Omega website, and there’s been a few articles on it on the net.

Agreed the 321 is a workhorse of sorts, but production was halted years ago - 1968 if I recall - so restarting production was a big deal given the effort involved, which is why it’s very much produced these days in the manner of a boutique movement.
Enjoy your plastic swatch. You can match my 17 year old nephew and all his friends hahahah
Old 21 June 2024, 10:07 AM   #172
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Enjoy your plastic swatch. You can match my 17 year old nephew and all his friends hahahah
I got banned for saying it last time but I’m thinking it.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 05:10 PM   #173
diver2012
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
The posts in support of the Daytona sum up why the 321 is better.

Only a watch enthusiast would buy a 321.

Every insecure person who feels the need to wear a Hermes belt and Gucci trainers and post photos of their watch on a Porsche steering wheel on Instagram aspires to have a Daytona for the simply reason they think they should.

Each to their own.
diver2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 07:34 PM   #174
cornsyrup_bezel
"TRF" Member

i think "watch of a lifetime" can have many meanings.

for a watch that you wear and take off when you pass daytona easy win due to adjustable clasp and water resistance and a bit more comfortable. only problem will be vacationing and being a tourist in a major city.

for a watch that goes back in time and celebrates horology nothing modern excites me like the 321. To have a watch from the factory with all the charm of the vintage movement is an incredible feeling. Also been wearing around spain for last week with zero attention. Sneaky good watch to throw on and wander around big cities with.

Daytona: fire and forget: the last word in performance/ergonomics/durability
321: smile everytime i put on and perhaps ultimate steel bracelet city watch(overseas in contention)

GT3RS or Singer?

(not the same but still makes me happy)

cornsyrup_bezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 07:54 PM   #175
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver2012 View Post
The posts in support of the Daytona sum up why the 321 is better.

Only a watch enthusiast would buy a 321.

Every insecure person who feels the need to wear a Hermes belt and Gucci trainers and post photos of their watch on a Porsche steering wheel on Instagram aspires to have a Daytona for the simply reason they think they should.

Each to their own.
Haha how can you make a statement like that and then end on "Each to their own."...

Enthusiasts can buy Daytonas as well, you know.
Neil McCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 08:13 PM   #176
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolesor2022
I got banned for saying it last time but I’m thinking it.
I think Rolesor2022's account must've been hacked by a 10 year old, so best just let him be, and click that Ignore button.
Old 21 June 2024, 09:40 PM   #177
brandrea

Quote:
I think Rolesor2022's account must've been hacked by a 10 year old, so best just let him be, and click that Ignore button.
How do we know he’s not a teenager, living in his parents basement?
Old 21 June 2024, 11:14 PM   #178
Easy E

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
How do we know he’s not a teenager, living in his parents basement?
Also worth asking. How do you know if one is not a grown up still living in their parents basement?
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 11:19 PM   #179
brandrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
Also worth asking. How do you know if one is not a grown up still living in their parents basement?

ok … where do i send the dry cleaning bill for my coffee choke

Old 21 June 2024, 11:22 PM   #180
J!m
"TRF" Member

Mom always said: “if you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything.”

I don’t say much.