The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 June 2024, 12:23 PM   #151
USMC034L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs, GMT, DJ, PAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 928ktgold View Post
I’ve had both of each 116500ln and 126. I was not feeling the bezel ring before and the thin subdial rings on the white initially as it looked anemic on the 126500 white. I did like the thinner silver rings initially on the new 126 as I thought they were too pale and big on the 116500 black. I also really appreciate the small case size on the 116 and its asymmetrical right lugs to balance out the visual “weight” of the crowns.

With the white 116500 we’re all used to seeing thick subdial rings and the bold sold bezel. It’s what attracted us to that model initially. It created a lot of hype for the watch and I was along for the ride.

After new releases arrived in dealers I visited one of our trusted greys here and saw the black first. Very shiny and didn’t not wear substantially bigger than the prior reference.

Then the curiosity bug hit me. Let me see the new white dial

As soon as I saw it I did feel it be the evolved iteration of the Daytona. The bezel ring integrates the bezel to the watch for me. I always thought the full ceramic bezel felt like and afterthought in its design. In actually it is. It basically replace the steel bezel in the 116500 and Rolex called it a day.

Comparing my 116500 white and the new 126500 white the new thin rings and hour markers convinced me to trade in. I love the classic zenith look. To me the 116500 that we all used to putting on a pedestal faded. I did have that watch for about 4 years so I guess had already been there a done that.

The bolder contrast of the 116500ln didn’t sing to me anymore. I now liked the classic bezel ring. Thinner black bezel and subdial rings on the white 126.

For anyone who hasn’t they still have the dream of the 116500 and that’s fine. I’m past that. So I trade in to the 126500LN white and couldn’t be happier.

With the black 116500 the solid bezel blends in with the black dial well. It didn’t contrast as wildly as the white 116. After having the 126500 white for 2 months though I got the itch and traded that one too for the new reference. The black ones were always my dad’s watch.

We still have a 116500LN white for my mom and wouldn’t trade that one as the smaller case fits her better and would still like to keep that reference in the family.

Lastly I have 116519LN silver panda. I’d trade it for the new version probably but the changes aren’t as obvious to me to have to pay close to $10k to make that trade. For the steel versions though the money difference was worth it!

Thanks! That actually clarifies a lot for me along with the excellent photos. I'm just in the position to get either the black or white from my AD within the next year, and I currently gravitate to the white dial after having been able to try on both---but I couldn't help but feel like I might be missing something given the overwhelming love for the new black dial. Thank you kindly again for the detail!
Old 4 June 2024, 01:31 PM   #152
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC034L View Post
but I couldn't help but feel like I might be missing something given the overwhelming love for the new black dial.
You gotta go with the color you love and try to tune out the hype. My theory is that previously the white was considered by the majority to be the clear "it" model. With this latest generation, the black has pulled nearly neck and neck. Because it has closed the gap, the black 126 gets a lot of buzz. But the notion that the new white is any less jaw dropping than before is silly talk 🤣
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 01:45 PM   #153
USMC034L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs, GMT, DJ, PAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
You gotta go with the color you love and try to tune out the hype. My theory is that previously the white was considered by the majority to be the clear "it" model. With this latest generation, the black has pulled nearly neck and neck. Because it has closed the gap, the black 126 gets a lot of buzz. But the notion that the new white is any less jaw dropping than before is silly talk 🤣
If I'm being honest, both are absolutely stunning in the metal, but I've wanted the white dial 116500 for so long (obviously no longer attainable at retail at least) coupled by the fact that I have too many black or blue dial watches in the collection..the only logical choice seems to be the white dial.
Old 4 June 2024, 02:53 PM   #154
rolesor2022
Banned

Quote:
I’ve had both of each 116500ln and 126. I was not feeling the bezel ring before and the thin subdial rings on the white initially as it looked anemic on the 126500 white. I did like the thinner silver rings initially on the new 126 as I thought they were too pale and big on the 116500 black. I also really appreciate the small case size on the 116 and its asymmetrical right lugs to balance out the visual “weight” of the crowns.

With the white 116500 we’re all used to seeing thick subdial rings and the bold sold bezel. It’s what attracted us to that model initially. It created a lot of hype for the watch and I was along for the ride.

After new releases arrived in dealers I visited one of our trusted greys here and saw the black first. Very shiny and didn’t not wear substantially bigger than the prior reference.

As soon as I saw it I did feel it be the evolved iteration of the Daytona. The bezel ring integrates the bezel to the watch for me. I always thought the full ceramic bezel felt like and afterthought in its design. In actually it is. It basically replace the steel bezel in the 116500 and Rolex called it a day.

Comparing my 116500 white and the new 126500 white the new thin rings and hour markers convinced me to trade in. I love the classic zenith look. To me the 116500 that we all used to putting on a pedestal faded. I did have that watch for about 4 years so I guess had already been there a done that.

The bolder contrast of the 116500ln didn’t sing to me anymore. I now liked the classic bezel ring. Thinner black bezel and subdial rings on the white 126.

For anyone who hasn’t they still have the dream of the 116500 and that’s fine. I’m past that. So I trade in to the 126500LN white and couldn’t be happier.

With the black 116500 the solid bezel blends in with the black dial well. It didn’t contrast as wildly as the white 116. After having the 126500 white for 2 months though I got the itch and traded that one too for the new reference. The black ones were always my dad’s watch.

We still have a 116500LN white for my mom and wouldn’t trade that one as the smaller case fits her better and would still like to keep that reference in the family.

Lastly I have 116519LN silver panda. I’d trade it for the new version probably but the changes aren’t as obvious to me to have to pay close to $10k to make that trade. For the steel versions though the money difference was worth it!

What an awesome post. Best one I’ve seen on here. I completely agree with everything you said. 126500 > 116500 alll day everyday and twice on Sundays. Thanks for sharing!!
rolesor2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 04:06 PM   #155
928ktgold
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: what’s next.
Sorry for the typos on my essay. I wrote it up on a whim on my iPhone and without my glasses.
928ktgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 06:17 PM   #156
Neil McCauley
Banned

Here's an unpopular opinion:

The hour markers on the 11 series look cartoonish compared to the 12 series.

I much prefer the more elegant, slim look, rather than the fat, chunky look
Neil McCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 07:29 PM   #157
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
Big congrats
But to say the metal ring is “stunning”? C’mon.
Thanks! It’s my favorite detail and very subtle. I find the overall look with the metal ring stunning.
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 07:43 PM   #158
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Any Daytona
True - beauty is in the eye of the beholder ..
Paul Newman

Being Serious = Onto the list you go
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 07:47 PM   #159
Neil McCauley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by karleone View Post
Thanks! It’s my favorite detail and very subtle. I find the overall look with the metal ring stunning.
I agree to be honest, it's the stand-out feature for me, makes the bezel look tidier and frames the watch perfectly.
Neil McCauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 07:57 PM   #160
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post

The hour markers on the 11 series were enough for me to not be interested at all. While that issue has now been resolved I am a not a fan of the new bezel ring on the 12 series. The black one looks as blingy as they come for a watch w/o diamonds.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2024, 08:01 PM   #161
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Not an unpopular opinion with me.

The changes from the 11 to the 12 are pretty subtle, but they make all the difference for me. The 12 just looks more refined to my eye, plus the symmetrical lugs have turned me from someone who would never have considered a Daytona, to someone who's now "on the list" at his AD.
Old 4 June 2024, 08:53 PM   #162
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Nice write up! The 126500 is beautiful in black and white!
Old 4 June 2024, 08:53 PM   #163
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
Both look great! Like the black on jubilee
Thanks man!
Old 4 June 2024, 08:55 PM   #164
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
They are both beautiful! I went white because I already have a a black 116500 and I thought the differences 126500 vs 116500 are more visible on the white dial vs black. If I did not have the black 116500 I would probably have gone with 126500 in black.
Old 4 June 2024, 08:56 PM   #165
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I agree with you and have said that especially on the white dial
Old 4 June 2024, 08:57 PM   #166
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
Not an unpopular opinion with me.

The changes from the 11 to the 12 are pretty subtle, but they make all the difference for me. The 12 just looks more refined to my eye, plus the symmetrical lugs have turned me from someone who would never have considered a Daytona, to someone who's now "on the list" at his AD.
Nice! Hope you’ll get it soon! White or black?
Old 5 June 2024, 12:05 AM   #167
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nice! Hope you’ll get it soon! White or black?
Cheers! I'm down for the black dial, but even though I've known and used the same AD for many many years, I've not bought anything from them for a couple of years now, so I'm under no illusion my caché with them will have dropped! They'll probably come through for me eventually, but it won't be any time soon I feel.
Old 5 June 2024, 12:48 AM   #168
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
Cheers! I'm down for the black dial, but even though I've known and used the same AD for many many years, I've not bought anything from them for a couple of years now, so I'm under no illusion my caché with them will have dropped! They'll probably come through for me eventually, but it won't be any time soon I feel.
Nice choice! Good luck!
Old 5 June 2024, 01:38 AM   #169
Big Tex Rolex
"TRF" Member

My 2 cents …

11 is more sporty
12 is more refined

Black is the better looking of the two
White is the more interesting looking of the two

Both are beautiful, and the differences are noticeable in these closeup / High Definition photos, but honestly, from 4 feet away, on your wrist, there is no (big) difference.

I sent a picture of the 11 v. a 12 to non watch enthusiast friends, and asked them, “which do you like better ?”

ALL of them replied … “what’s the difference ?”

To us … watch enthusiasts … the differences (even if subtle) are noticeable / obvious …
but, not from 4 feet away.
Big Tex Rolex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2024, 02:45 AM   #170
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex Rolex View Post
Both are beautiful, and the differences are noticeable in these closeup / High Definition photos, but honestly, from 4 feet away, on your wrist, there is no (big) difference.

I sent a picture of the 11 v. a 12 to non watch enthusiast friends, and asked them, “which do you like better ?”

ALL of them replied … “what’s the difference ?”

To us … watch enthusiasts … the differences (even if subtle) are noticeable / obvious …
but, not from 4 feet away.
I agree with all of this 100%. That said, I would never talk to those friends again
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2024, 04:12 PM   #171
DaytonaAlan
"TRF" Member

Watch: DaytonaC white
I have had 116500 white and black and now 126500 white. I have also tried on 126500 black.

My favorite by far is 126500 white, it’s all I wear now. It’s true, however, whatever massive changes you think you see looking at giant close-ups on the Internet, from a few feet away they look nearly identical. When I first tried on the black 126500, having never put on a 126 before, I literally had to remind myself what the changes even were because it looks basically identical to my 116500 on first glance. In real life, the ring is barely noticeable at all unless you look for it, same with the subdials and hour markers. But with that said, when you really take time to LOOK at it for awhile, it does appear so much more refined and elegant. Plus, with the subdials thinned out a bit, it’s so much easier to tell the time, which is the point of a watch. I was very skeptical at first seeing pictures, and even initially when wearing it, but once it’s on your wrist for several days, at least to me, it becomes crystal clear that 126500 is the better watch.
DaytonaAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2024, 03:17 AM   #172
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaAlan View Post
I have had 116500 white and black and now 126500 white. I have also tried on 126500 black.

My favorite by far is 126500 white, it’s all I wear now. It’s true, however, whatever massive changes you think you see looking at giant close-ups on the Internet, from a few feet away they look nearly identical. When I first tried on the black 126500, having never put on a 126 before, I literally had to remind myself what the changes even were because it looks basically identical to my 116500 on first glance. In real life, the ring is barely noticeable at all unless you look for it, same with the subdials and hour markers. But with that said, when you really take time to LOOK at it for awhile, it does appear so much more refined and elegant. Plus, with the subdials thinned out a bit, it’s so much easier to tell the time, which is the point of a watch. I was very skeptical at first seeing pictures, and even initially when wearing it, but once it’s on your wrist for several days, at least to me, it becomes crystal clear that 126500 is the better watch.
Well said and it’s great to have opinions of people owning both or have owned both. I own the white 126500 and black 116500 and I like everything about the new ref!
Old 11 July 2024, 09:09 PM   #173
karleone
"TRF" Member

A few chromalight lume shots

Old 11 July 2024, 09:59 PM   #174
928ktgold
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: what’s next.
Big Tex wrote it best
“11 is more sporty
12 is more refined

Black is the better looking of the two
White is the more interesting looking of the two”
928ktgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2024, 09:24 AM   #175
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
A few chromalight lume shots

Stunning pictures,
Paul Newman

Old 13 July 2024, 12:28 PM   #176
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
I like it. IMHO the metal ring around bezel is a cool finishing touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The metal ring around the bezel is the ding, scratch and polish prone Achilles heal of the watch.

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2024, 12:46 PM   #177
Greg.A
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
The metal ring around the bezel is the ding, scratch and polish prone Achilles heal of the watch.

Meant to protect that scratch resistant but brittle ceramic bezel though and it’s a nod to earlier Daytonas. Omega SpeedMaster have them as well.
Greg.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2024, 01:10 AM   #178
Bazil
2024 Pledge Member

I don’t agree at all, I can barely see the bezel ring, it’s a couple of mm if that so amazing to see a scratch on it, ding yes I can agree it possibly could but again as it’s so small take something to just ding the ring so to speak … like to see a photo of any that have scratches or dings ? Or have found this on theirs … I just can’t see it unless zoom in with my phone camera .. hey ho, I love the 12 series ..
Paul Newman

Old 14 July 2024, 01:58 AM   #179
karleone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
Stunning pictures,
Thank you so much! Appreciate it!!
Old 14 July 2024, 02:10 AM   #180
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
I had no love for the 116500 but this one is crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote