The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 August 2024, 11:58 PM   #151
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
I think the big thing in Rolex's favor is they have more truly iconic models

Daytona, "Pepsi" GMT, Submariner, Datejust

Omega really only has one, the Moonwatch

That doesn't make Rolex better than Moonwatch, but it says a lot about the perception of the brand. For most people when you think dive watch you think Submariner. When you think GMT watch, you think Rolex. Even though when you think of a chrono the Omega may be the most iconic, I still think many if not most would mention Daytona first. And in spite of all the sport watch fans on this board, the Datejust may be the most iconic watch ever made and the one most associated with Rolex.
Really great perspective Mike
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 12:41 AM   #152
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majidessa View Post
Good point, but then why Rolex accuracy rating is higher than Omega -2/+2 Vs 0 to 5 sec? And despite double barrel spring also the power reserve is less than Rolex?

I own 3 Omega watches, one of which is SM Diver 300 and all my Rolex watches keep better time with less variance, My Omega PO Chrono with 9300, is the most accurate Omega that I have which is on par with the Rolex watches.
I had a different experience with my SMP 300. Always +2 seconds while worn with an easy slow adjustment, crown down, at night. 0 to +5 seconds is arguably better accuracy as most people value slightly fast more than slow. The fact that it is guaranteed to never be slow is more important than possibly be 2 seconds slow, although both are superfluous measurements.

I honestly never never cared about the power reserve. All my 48 hour PR 3135 and 3185’s were ample enough. Rolex got themselves into trouble when they tried to compete with Omega, who had already experienced their own teething problems regarding PR. I know it may be an outlier here, but I am uncomfortable purchasing a 32xx until it’s been demonstrated that there are no more amplitude problems.
Gearjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 12:46 AM   #153
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR Jubilee
I tried omega. I just like the look and feel of Rolex so much more.
Old 8 August 2024, 12:48 AM   #154
Mick_Tock
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710ln
No collection would be complete without at least one of each. For me, that would be a Submariner and a Speedmaster. Any variant of either watch would make a fine 2-watch collection.
Mick_Tock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 01:26 AM   #155
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon84 View Post
Still more subtle than that daytona

The only bracelet that doesnt taper with omega is the smp300 now, so one watch out of an entire catalogue….i expect that will be rectified, not before time when its refreshed…probably next year

My planet ocean 39.5 did not taper, have they changed that? Mine was a ‘22 model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lesnerelli23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 01:43 AM   #156
rohada
"TRF" Member

I had Omega watches between 1996 and 2019 or so and loved them and would have kept all 6 them had I not transitioned to Rolex. However, if I was starting today, I can't say I'd be as big a fan as the broad arrows hands started to take over more of the line and the numerous different color combinations made it feel a bit more like a Swatch product. Given the ownership status, I guess that isn't surprising. But, that's just me. I always loved the skeleton hands as I felt that they were easily recognizable and handsome. I also liked the scalloped bezels. As far as a great watch, I think for the price point it tends to punch above its weight class. Rolex is the only line I would move to from Omega. YMMV.
Old 8 August 2024, 01:44 AM   #157
whattimeyougot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not entirely correct, did you try to buy Snoopy, EDwhite 321, or Seamaster bond anniversary?

These are exceptions rather than the rule. Cmon!

whattimeyougot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 01:57 AM   #158
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
I think the big thing in Rolex's favor is they have more truly iconic models

Daytona, "Pepsi" GMT, Submariner, Datejust

Omega really only has one, the Moonwatch

That doesn't make Rolex better than Moonwatch, but it says a lot about the perception of the brand. For most people when you think dive watch you think Submariner. When you think GMT watch, you think Rolex. Even though when you think of a chrono the Omega may be the most iconic, I still think many if not most would mention Daytona first. And in spite of all the sport watch fans on this board, the Datejust may be the most iconic watch ever made and the one most associated with Rolex.

I agree AND this gave me a thought.

I would say that Rolex design is the MOST copied. Seiko, Invicta, Steinhart, Squale, and many many more brands use the Rolex style case, hands, and dial styles.

To me, not only does this make Rolex seem more popular but it basically does 90% of their marketing for them. I mean, who doesn’t want the watch all these other watches are trying to be?

I can’t think of a single brand that outright copies any Omega watch. Although I have seen some combos of Rolex/Omega style, they are usually still heavily based on Rolex with maybe an Omega inspired dial or bezel.

Old 8 August 2024, 02:02 AM   #159
Manamana
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good point, but then why Rolex accuracy rating is higher than Omega -2/+2 Vs 0 to 5 sec? And despite double barrel spring also the power reserve is less than Rolex?

I own 3 Omega watches, one of which is SM Diver 300 and all my Rolex watches keep better time with less variance, My Omega PO Chrono with 9300, is the most accurate Omega that I have which is on par with the Rolex watches.
February 2023 article

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/he...e-system-works

A couple weeks ago, Omega announced the new Speedmaster Super Racing, but the more exciting bit of news was the technical innovation inside, the new Spirate System. Omega says the new mechanism will allow it to regulate the movement to 0/+2 seconds per day. Eventually, Omega plans to industrialize the Spirate System and roll it out across other models.
Manamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 02:06 AM   #160
majidessa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whattimeyougot View Post
These are exceptions rather than the rule. Cmon!

These are 3 exceptions for very desirable watches, and they are the only ones in Omega current catalog that trade over MSRP. If Omega watches had the desirability and demand of Rolex, they might even be worse than Rolex in playing games.
majidessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 02:46 AM   #161
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manamana View Post
February 2023 article

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/he...e-system-works

A couple weeks ago, Omega announced the new Speedmaster Super Racing, but the more exciting bit of news was the technical innovation inside, the new Spirate System. Omega says the new mechanism will allow it to regulate the movement to 0/+2 seconds per day. Eventually, Omega plans to industrialize the Spirate System and roll it out across other models.

Thanks for sharing! I’m excited to see this in new models in the future!

Old 8 August 2024, 02:46 AM   #162
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

"better" needs to be defined.

I will say as an Omega fanboy though, a Rolex never broke on the moon!
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 03:02 AM   #163
Ferrari-F430
"TRF" Member

It can be a mentality thing... The Rolex just stands out so much more and once I had my first Rolex (over 2 decades)... Nothing else seemed to match it except other super high quality brands (AP, Patek Philippe). God knows I've tried other watch companies (besides AP and PP), but they don't feel nearly as special to me as Rolex!

Since I've been on a super long wait for a steel Rolex GMT, I bought anther brand GMT hoping it would hold me over... and it absolutely failed. Just didn't seem special and give me that Rolex vibe.

Whatever Rolex has done to their brand, it works! There's a reason the wait is so great everywhere.
Ferrari-F430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 04:48 AM   #164
goodolejr
2024 Pledge Member

I feel Omega would make significant gains in terms of consumer demand if they reduced case thickness to 12.5mm or less. They are chonky bois.

-Omega and Rolex owner
Old 8 August 2024, 04:51 AM   #165
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

No.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 05:06 AM   #166
opawlows
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor/PAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodolejr View Post
I feel Omega would make significant gains in terms of consumer demand if they reduced case thickness to 12.5mm or less. They are chonky bois.

-Omega and Rolex owner
Agree with this point. I generally like Omega's offerings but they tend to sit awkwardly on my wrist due to the thicker casebacks.
opawlows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 05:54 AM   #167
Torshalla
"TRF" Member

I own a Sub and a Seamaster… i cannot say the Sub is better quality or better built.
Somehow Rolex are doing a better job at Marketting and brand positioning and Rolexes hold their value / appreciate better…

Torshalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 07:43 AM   #168
Eagles
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torshalla View Post
I own a Sub and a Seamaster… i cannot say the Sub is better quality or better built.
Somehow Rolex are doing a better job at Marketting and brand positioning and Rolexes hold their value / appreciate better…

Pretty much where I’m at with it. I actually prefer the SMP300 and Planet Ocean to the standard Sub and SD. Think the designs are a little more interesting (Deepsea is far superior to the Ultradeep though!)

However Omega don’t seem able to coherently market their watches whilst Rolex know their strategy and stick to it.
Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 09:52 AM   #169
Krash

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Is Rolex THAT much better than Omega?

Quote:
Originally Posted by opawlows View Post
Agree with this point. I generally like Omega's offerings but they tend to sit awkwardly on my wrist due to the thicker casebacks.

I agree about the size of the Seamaster. And I have slightly larger than 7.5” wrists, so it’s not as if they’re small in size. The watch feels bigger, thicker, and heavier than it needs to be. I love the watch. I wear it all the time, but I still prefer my Submariner.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 10:30 AM   #170
martyjanderson
"TRF" Member

Watch: omega sm chronogra
Have a SD 43 and Omega Diver Chronograph.
First was 14k, second was 9k with tax.

Love both but I the omega feels higher quality, more rugged, same accuracy as good looking or slightly better looking. Actually quite a bit bigger but wears better as the SD 43 has a bracelet that is imo a bit too tapered and thin for SD 43. Love both and dont want to ever sell either.
martyjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 10:35 AM   #171
martyjanderson
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=DoricSpiker;13359187]Rolex very big in certain continents where it is seen as the only luxury watch to have.
Omega has better movements and therefore better accuracy. Rolex has better bracelets and better designs on some models. The speedmaster moonwatch however is the best mass produced Chronograph ever made.

Demand and quality don’t always go together. Look at Blancpain. Leagues above Rolex and Omega in terms of quality but difficult to shift on the secondary market.

Can't see or notice any better quality in Blancpain vs omega and rolex. Just notice they are ugly
Old 8 August 2024, 10:36 AM   #172
martyjanderson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Omega make some really nice watches with really good movements. Where Rolex beat Omega hands down for me is wearing comfort.
Only have one rolex but suprised that I find the Omega diver chrono bracelet far more comfortable than the SD 43 bracelet. Not even close.
Old 8 August 2024, 10:48 AM   #173
Krash

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
[QUOTE=martyjanderson;13361043]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoricSpiker View Post
Rolex very big in certain continents where it is seen as the only luxury watch to have.
Omega has better movements and therefore better accuracy. Rolex has better bracelets and better designs on some models. The speedmaster moonwatch however is the best mass produced Chronograph ever made.

Demand and quality don’t always go together. Look at Blancpain. Leagues above Rolex and Omega in terms of quality but difficult to shift on the secondary market.

Can't see or notice any better quality in Blancpain vs omega and rolex. Just notice they are ugly

People keep saying Omega is more accurate. My Submariner 114060 with the 3130 movement is more accurate than my METAS certified Seamaster.

YMMV.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 10:49 AM   #174
EEpro

Watch: Daytona
[QUOTE=Krash;13361053]
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyjanderson View Post

People keep saying Omega is more accurate. My Submariner 114060 with the 3130 movement is more accurate than my METAS certified Seamaster.

YMMV.

Same experience here. Rolex keeps under a second. Omega is like +3 for me.
Old 8 August 2024, 10:58 AM   #175
DJH1977
"TRF" Member

In the end for me, it's comfort and thickness that gives Rolex the edge. I have both brands.
DJH1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 10:58 AM   #176
Easy E

[QUOTE=Krash;13361053]
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyjanderson View Post

YMMV.
[QUOTE=EEpro;13361060]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post

Same experience here. Rolex keeps under a second. Omega is like +3 for me.
Too me, it depends on what models are in play. My 31s are stellar, 32s not as much. Most of my Omegas are modern and are pretty much spot on.

I think it is a bit disingenuous to categorically say straight out or imply <all> Omegas are better movements, or <all> Rolexes are better movements. Its a series by series call for me. I own both, happy with both.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 11:01 AM   #177
thegrandseirolexguy
"TRF" Member

Is Rolex THAT much better than Omega?

Official Rolex website recommends a service every 10 years, Omega recommends one every 5-8 years.

If the manufacturer is going to stick its neck out and state, in no uncertain terms, how often the watch should be serviced, I think it speaks volumes about the build quality and robustness of the watch.

I prefer Rolex because its design aesthetic is more appealing to me. And the watches tend to be more carefully thought out and wear better on the wrist.

FYI, despite all the touted benefits of the coaxial movement, it’s not easy to lubricate all the additional contact points. I can see why Rolex decided not to adopt the escapement. Especially when you’re manufacturing millions of watches annually. Those precious extra seconds spent on oiling those extra points add up and snowball pretty quickly.

thegrandseirolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 01:41 PM   #178
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrandseirolexguy View Post
Official Rolex website recommends a service every 10 years, Omega recommends one every 5-8 years.

If the manufacturer is going to stick its neck out and state, in no uncertain terms, how often the watch should be serviced, I think it speaks volumes about the build quality and robustness of the watch.

I prefer Rolex because its design aesthetic is more appealing to me. And the watches tend to be more carefully thought out and wear better on the wrist.

FYI, despite all the touted benefits of the coaxial movement, it’s not easy to lubricate all the additional contact points. I can see why Rolex decided not to adopt the escapement. Especially when you’re manufacturing millions of watches annually. Those precious extra seconds spent on oiling those extra points add up and snowball pretty quickly.

The service intervals are a great point!

Old 8 August 2024, 02:12 PM   #179
klenboy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I wish I can answer this question but despite having several Rolex in my collection I have yet to find an Omega I really want to own. I do like several of Omega's offerings but not enough to buy one.
klenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 02:34 PM   #180
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I wonder if we carved out the Speedmaster moon watch if the discussion would be different. I do like the Speedmaster, and obviously it’s an iconic watch that has stood the test of time, but nothing else in the Omega lineup appeals to me.

It’s somewhat similar to JLC. I know they make great watches, but other than the iconic and gorgeous Reverso, there isn’t any other JLC watch I’m interested in.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote