The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

View Poll Results: Does your 32xx movement seem to be 100% ok?
Yes, no issues 1,032 70.01%
No, amplitude is low (below 200) but timekeeping is still fine 61 4.14%
No, amplitude is low (below 200) and timekeeping is off (>5 s/d) 381 25.85%
Voters: 1474. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20 October 2021, 04:27 AM   #2041
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Yes, I must have missed something, since these directions are perfectly clear !

I'll probably wait another ten days or so, since I'll have to reset the time at the end of the month and don't want to mess with the "experiment" by hacking the watch.

Will also be interesting to try an additional experiment whereby I repeat, but wear the watch every other day.
Start today!
Perform the "experiment" until the end of October, 12 days are sufficient for a first data set.
Can you use the WatchTracker app?
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 06:08 AM   #2042
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
Start today!
Perform the "experiment" until the end of October, 12 days are sufficient for a first data set.
Can you use the WatchTracker app?
Thanks. Should be easy enough to use! Out of curiosity, is it worth doing an every-other-day test at some point, since that's the most likely scenario for long-term use?
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 06:14 AM   #2043
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks. Should be easy enough to use! Out of curiosity, is it worth doing an every-other-day test at some point, since that's the most likely scenario for long-term use?

Do it as I described in 2038, every day.
Old 20 October 2021, 06:16 AM   #2044
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Well, now I'm getting a little concerned...

After the post-winding time loss, I wore the watch every day for a few days, instead of every other. Gradually, the time loss dissipated and got closer to zero (gaining back about a second a day). Yesterday I didn't wear the watch. Today I put it back on, and it's roughly +2.5 (but was -1.5 when I took it off on Sunday night).

When I store it, granted, it's dial-up but this is how I've always kept it at night.

Reading through this thread, it seems that the issues have been more pervasive with the earliest 3235 movements, but I'm reaching the six month mark with mine, which I also seem to recall being when some of these popped up.

Does anyone know whether there were specific component changes made to the movement at some point, and whether it was all 32xx or just some?
The movements are mass produced.
Someone in this thread said it's not a matter of if but when, given the fact they're mass produced. Only time will tell
It stands to reason this is the likely scenario given that around 1/4 of the watches are reportedly having problems in the poll.

Hopefully we will hear of a fix, but given all aspects around the nature of the issue, I would imagine Rolex are scratching their heads trying to pin the problem down.
The whole thing is compounded by the declaration by Rolex around the 10 year service intervals. But history gives context there
It looks like Rolex have simply got too far ahead of themselves this time.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 06:50 AM   #2045
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
The movements are mass produced.
Someone in this thread said it's not a matter of if but when, given the fact they're mass produced. Only time will tell
It stands to reason this is the likely scenario given that around 1/4 of the watches are reportedly having problems in the poll.

Hopefully we will hear of a fix, but given all aspects around the nature of the issue, I would imagine Rolex are scratching their heads trying to pin the problem down.
The whole thing is compounded by the declaration by Rolex around the 10 year service intervals. But history gives context there
It looks like Rolex have simply got too far ahead of themselves this time.
Would also be interesting to have seen, based on the poll, whether one 32xx specifically was experiencing more problems than others. At least then, maybe, one could deduce whether it had to do with the date function, the second timezone function, day function, or something common to all 32xx series.
Old 20 October 2021, 07:05 AM   #2046
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Would also be interesting to have seen, based on the poll, whether one 32xx specifically was experiencing more problems than others. At least then, maybe, one could deduce whether it had to do with the date function, the second timezone function, day function, or something common to all 32xx series.
That one is proving hard to gauge for many reasons. The 3235 would be easily the most plentiful of the 32XX movements in circulation right now and are the bulk of the reported issues.

Baz indicated he saw it on the 3285s and 3255s. The thing is there are far fewer of these two movements in circulation .3255 owners I'd dare say a lot of said owners are unlikely to be sitting at a timegrapher.

On the other hand 3230s are pretty new.

The issue appears to be around are part related to the seconds hand so I believe it's a common component between all the 32XX but i'm not an expert on that stuff.

Rolex did change the lift angle from 55 to 53. I think something has changed. The way the maths works this is not the sort of thing an engineer miscalculates and publishes for 4 years and then goes "oh whoops it's actually 53". This is also not an error you'd expect from Rolex... let alone any proper watch brand.
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 07:10 AM   #2047
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanbra View Post
That one is proving hard to gauge for many reasons. The 3235 would be easily the most plentiful of the 32XX movements in circulation right now and are the bulk of the reported issues.

Baz indicated he saw it on the 3285s and 3255s. The thing is there are far fewer of these two movements in circulation .3255 owners I'd dare say a lot of said owners are unlikely to be sitting at a timegrapher.

On the other hand 3230s are pretty new.

The issue appears to be around are part related to the seconds hand so I believe it's a common component between all the 32XX but i'm not an expert on that stuff.

Rolex did change the lift angle from 55 to 53. I think something has changed. The way the maths works this is not the sort of thing an engineer miscalculates and publishes for 4 years and then goes "oh whoops it's actually 53". This is also not an error you'd expect from Rolex... let alone any proper watch brand.
By now there should be plenty of 30s and 85s in circulation here, from multiple years, but I see your point. Hopefully all I'll discover is that I haven't been wearing my watch enough (or moving enough while I am).
Old 20 October 2021, 07:13 AM   #2048
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The RSC watchmaker indicated it was specifically due to friction (wear) on the seconds wheel pivot. As all 32xx movements have a seconds hand, I don't believe it is limited to any subset of the family.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 07:13 AM   #2049
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
By now there should be plenty of 30s and 85s in circulation here, from multiple years, but I see your point. Hopefully all I'll discover is that I haven't been wearing my watch enough (or moving enough while I am).
I check my watches once a day on watchtracker when I wear them, I tend to wear them a week at a time as I rotate through them.

If you notice a change that's when you start taking more samples or chuck them on a grapher etc... If your watch stabilises out don't worry about it too much. If it continues to slow down then you prob want it looked at.
Old 20 October 2021, 10:05 AM   #2050
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
The RSC watchmaker indicated it was specifically due to friction (wear) on the seconds wheel pivot. As all 32xx movements have a seconds hand, I don't believe it is limited to any subset of the family.
This
Old 20 October 2021, 10:06 AM   #2051
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanbra View Post
I check my watches once a day on watchtracker when I wear them, I tend to wear them a week at a time as I rotate through them.

If you notice a change that's when you start taking more samples or chuck them on a grapher etc... If your watch stabilises out don't worry about it too much. If it continues to slow down then you prob want it looked at.
Agreed
Old 20 October 2021, 11:04 AM   #2052
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
Thanks for the link. Seems like an earlier issue so I'd be curious whether there was some fix enacted at some point, and if so, what/when. Doesn't sound like anyone ever did a visual comparison of early 2018/19 32xx and 2020/2021 32xx to see if anything had changed.
Old 20 October 2021, 01:55 PM   #2053
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Seems like an earlier issue so I'd be curious whether there was some fix enacted at some point, and if so, what/when. Doesn't sound like anyone ever did a visual comparison of early 2018/19 32xx and 2020/2021 32xx to see if anything had changed.
We are waiting for confirmation of a fix which has been implemented at Rolex. To date there is nothing.
All updated parts and service procedures are automatically rolled out throughout the worldwide service network.
I imagine we will know not long afterward all going well
Old 20 October 2021, 07:55 PM   #2054
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Controllable and Predictable Timekeeping of a 3235 watch

Since there are many so discussions about 32xx timekeeping and which watch position to choose at rest (for example during nights), I thought the following information and data might be illustrative.

Below is a nice example how to measure and keep excellent timekeeping for my healty 3235 movement, using the simple WatchTrackker app. The explanation of the white line is given inside the graph.

This specific 3235 watch loses time while being worn at top amplitude (about 290 degrees).

It gains time while losing amplitude (about 20 degrees) overnight.

The shown behaviour is movement specific and can strongly depend on the caliber regulation.
Therefore, no two movements are alike.

Choosing the right position at rest, a 32xx movement behaviour and its timekeeping becomes CONTROLLABLE and PREDICTABLE. The same holds for 31xx and other movements.
Old 20 October 2021, 09:52 PM   #2055
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
We are waiting for confirmation of a fix which has been implemented at Rolex. To date there is nothing.
All updated parts and service procedures are automatically rolled out throughout the worldwide service network.
I imagine we will know not long afterward all going well
From Bas' thread linked above, it sounded as though the issue was at least in part rectified by lubricating the seconds wheel from the factory, and that lack thereof on early models had been an oversight.
Old 21 October 2021, 06:09 AM   #2056
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
From Bas' thread linked above, it sounded as though the issue was at least in part rectified by lubricating the seconds wheel from the factory, and that lack thereof on early models had been an oversight.
Imagine, you knew directly from Rolex, in Geneva, all the technical 32xx issues they have discovered and solved during the past few years, could you do anything with that information?

Would it not be more interesting to know if your 32xx watch has any issues, and if so, what would be the best (and easiest) way to find out yourself?
Old 21 October 2021, 07:36 AM   #2057
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Imagine, you knew directly from Rolex, in Geneva, all the technical 32xx issues they have discovered and solved during the past few years, could you do anything with that information?

Would it not be more interesting to know if your 32xx watch has any issues, and if so, what would be the best (and easiest) way to find out yourself?
Your point is well taken. I suppose that information would be most helpful in understanding:

1. The likelihood that something is actually wrong (was mine built pre or post-fix)
2. What issues overlap with my watch based on approximate dates (to gauge potential severity and the fix)
3. The solutions available, again, partly a guess...

Basically, an all-round game of probabilities that the watch has "issue X" wrong with it to decide whether to service and if so whether to do it right away or wait and see.
Old 21 October 2021, 09:23 AM   #2058
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My understanding is that part of the current remedy is to lube the Second pivot where it's not customarily a lube point.
I wonder it it's a measure to kick the can down the road along with mitigating metal dust being distributed around the insides of the movement by keeping it more or less localised
The other part of the problem is that even after lubing the pivot under the conditions set out by Rolex during a warranty service, the problem eventually comes back regardless
There's been instances reported on this forum of some watches going back three times under warranty with the exact same problem.
Old 21 October 2021, 09:29 AM   #2059
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My understanding is that part of the current remedy is to lube the Second pivot where it's not customarily a lube point.
I wonder it it's a measure to kick the can down the road along with mitigating metal dust being distributed around the insides of the movement by keeping it more or less localised
The other part of the problem is that even after lubing the pivot under the conditions set out by Rolex during a warranty service, the problem eventually comes back regardless
There's been instances reported on this forum of some watches going back three times under warranty with the exact same problem.
Yep this, my DJ36 same issue again after about 6 months from being back from warranty.
Old 22 October 2021, 06:12 AM   #2060
dannyp
Banned

Well, from the time I started the timekeeping app and now (about 47hrs) it's 1.1sec faster. So it would seem that there aren't any obvious issues with the watch itself.

Now, the interesting question is whether there re problems with my wearing patterns: When I started this, I wound it fully, so even if unworn it should have about 70hrs PR, meaning I don't know whether it's getting sufficient winding each day to maintain it indefinitely.

What I do notice is that it gains 1-1.5sec overnight, then evens out during the day, so that suggests it's doing what would be expected of this series of movements.

I'll post the first graph shot when I have at least a week.
Old 22 October 2021, 06:53 AM   #2061
dannyp
Banned

Here are some graphs for the first two days. I'm not 100% sure how to interpret, or the different things they measure...
Old 22 October 2021, 06:58 AM   #2062
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here are some graphs for the first two days. I'm not 100% sure how to interpret, or the different things they measure...
Good start.
How do you place the watch at rest overnight?

The app graphs are the following:
- Offsets
- Rates
- Variance

The app also has a page where you see the date/time and the measured data: "View data points" Can you show that too?
Old 22 October 2021, 07:20 AM   #2063
saxo3
"TRF" Member

This is the relevant graph (Offsets). My interpretation:

- You did not set the watch to the correct atomic time because the graph starts with an offset of about +2 s.

- The lines going down are what happens during daytime.
- The lines going up are what happens during watch at rest.
- If that is right, then you gain more time at rest overnight compared to what you are losing during the day.

- The green line is a coarse fit to your data.
- At present, your watch is running with +0.7 s/d.

- That looks VERY good to me.

For the coming days or weeks:
- do NOT wind the movement,
- do NOT change the watch position at rest (overnight),
- wear this watch every day,
- try to keep the hours at rest similar each day.
Old 22 October 2021, 08:02 AM   #2064
dannyp
Banned

Quote:

This is the relevant graph (Offsets). My interpretation:

- You did not set the watch to the correct atomic time because the graph starts with an offset of about +2 s.

- The lines going down are what happens during daytime.
- The lines going up are what happens during watch at rest.
- If that is right, then you gain more time at rest overnight compared to what you are losing during the day.

- The green line is a coarse fit to your data.
- At present, your watch is running with +0.7 s/d.

- That looks VERY good to me.

For the coming days or weeks:
- do NOT wind the movement,
- do NOT change the watch position at rest (overnight),
- wear this watch every day,
- try to keep the hours at rest similar each day.
I rest it face-up overnight. As for the other datapoints:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2949F5CF-05DE-475B-B3D7-513EC06825D4_1_201_a.jpeg (106.6 KB, 155 views)
Old 22 October 2021, 08:17 AM   #2065
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I rest it face-up overnight. As for the other datapoints:
Thanks. These data points confirm my interpretation from post 2063.

Quote:
Now, the interesting question is whether there re problems with my wearing patterns: When I started this, I wound it fully, so even if unworn it should have about 70hrs PR, meaning I don't know whether it's getting sufficient winding each day to maintain it indefinitely.
Your watch performs different compared to what you think it should do!

During the day, the movement is at high amplitude due to your wrist movements. The overall rate is slightly negative, therefore the watches loses a bit of time.

During nights, in fixed dial up position, the movement loses amplitude but gains in rate. That means it is running faster. The day-night net effect results in a positive overall rate (+0.7 s/d).

I have measured that in detail for my Sea-Dweller 126600 (3235), as a function of watch rest position overnight.
Old 22 October 2021, 09:32 AM   #2066
dannyp
Banned

So I understand that part, but the question is what happens once it gets past 70hrs, and whether I move enough to keep put going. In theory, that initial wind would keep it going another day without any use. So once that’s past I’ll be curious if patterns change at all.
Old 22 October 2021, 02:29 PM   #2067
saxo3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
… but the question is what happens once it gets past 70hrs….
This question is easy to answer: during the course of the entire PR (about 70-72 hours), the movement amplitude will become continuously smaller, as for every mechanical watch, until your watch finally stops running. Many examples of such PR measurements are shown (graphs) and explained in this thread, mainly by Charles and saxo3 (me).
Quote:
… and whether I move enough to keep put going.
Nobody can answer that for you. The first systematic experiment, which you are currently conducting, will already give you a first indication.
Quote:
In theory, that initial wind would keep it going another day without any use.
Yes, but do NOT test it already now and do NOT vary 2 parameters at the same time. That is also the reason whyyou should keep dial up as your chosen rest position overnight. If you change to another rest position, it will most likely also be visible in your timekeeping, which you now measure with the WatchTracker app.
Old 22 October 2021, 03:10 PM   #2068
saxo3
"TRF" Member

32xx movement problem poll and data thread

For dannyp

Here is a nice example of two combined (Timegrapher + WatchTracker) measurements, along the entire power reserve, until the 3285 movement stopped running. For both tests, the watch was all time at rest in dial up position. The experiment was done by Charles.

One can see:

- Excellent time keeping until about 69 hours (see Watch Tracker curves).

- The watch GAINED time during the amplitude decreases in both tests.

- But this behavior is NOT necessarily identical for all 32xx calibers.
Old 22 October 2021, 09:37 PM   #2069
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
I can see how lubing from the beginning might solve the problem, while lubing at service would not. With the latter, some damage to the parts themselves may already be done and if they aren't replaced, that damage will not be resolved with lubrication. On the other hand, if lubed from the beginning, perhaps the damage wouldn't occur in the first place?

Of course, if the warranty service identifies and replaces the worn parts, too, well, then I've got nothing...
Old 23 October 2021, 12:34 AM   #2070
dannyp
Banned

Also, the inverse amplitude/time gain/loss relationship makes perfect sense to me as a parent: As my kids get more and more tired (losing PR, amplitude decreasing, they get more and more wild and crazy, right up until the moment they crash)