The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 August 2024, 02:38 PM   #181
richardlo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
On a mechanics level I think Omega has better movements overall. From a design perspective I like Rolex more. They both run well and since I have to look at the watch design more than the movement I will always opt for Rolex. There are some Omega's I really like but the dial, bracelet, size is always just a bit off that I dont purchase it.
richardlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 02:58 PM   #182
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

I used to be more 50/50 but not really s interested in Omega now because of the Thai made bracelets and things like the moon watch. It just shows they’re willing to burn brand equity imo.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 04:39 PM   #183
wm82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardlo View Post
On a mechanics level I think Omega has better movements overall. From a design perspective I like Rolex more. They both run well and since I have to look at the watch design more than the movement I will always opt for Rolex. There are some Omega's I really like but the dial, bracelet, size is always just a bit off that I dont purchase it.
They really don't have better movements. It's all spruced up ETAs and they only finish the parts that are visible when assembled. Everything you don't see is raw untreated surfaces, thin stamped out wheels etc. The setting mech is all stamped out sheet metal like 2824 and 2892. It's an ETA design after all.

They do run well and the coaxial is quite fun to work on. But they are far behind Rolex and the market knows this, and values the watches thereafter.
wm82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 07:39 PM   #184
Gazoak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I recently purchased a Speedmaster Racing and was amazed by its accuracy. I've only owned one Rolex which was as good. In general, though I really like the rolex bracelets better. Design wise I like Rolex better as well. I've owned a number of Omegas in the past and this is the only one I want. Not all Rolex are my cup of tea, either. I’d add that things like the engraved rehaut, LEC, and easy bracelet adjustability seal the deal for Rolex!
Completel;y agree regarding the bracelets. Omega's are much too fussy and no where near as well made. Roelx bracelets are simple, functional and timeless.
Gazoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 09:36 PM   #185
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Both great watches. Personal preference. Mine happens to be Rolex.
In terms of value, it’s Rolex hands down if the money value is important to you or whomever inherits your watches.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 10:45 PM   #186
Phil8352
"TRF" Member

My suspicion is that the Omega defenders all have a lot of Omega watches. I think many have a lot of Omega watches for a couple of reasons:

1) They acquire the less expensive, easier to get watches along their journey to acquiring their first Rolex.

-OR-

2) They acquire a Rolex and the watch collecting bug bites them and they begin building out a “collection” (read: accumulation) of Omegas, etc that are fine watches but probably not purchased with the intent of keeping forever and handing down to a future generation. They’re essentially filler in the watch box.

Sorry, not sorry.
Phil8352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 11:37 PM   #187
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

How many people get mugged for their Omega?
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 11:40 PM   #188
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil8352 View Post
My suspicion is that the Omega defenders all have a lot of Omega watches. I think many have a lot of Omega watches for a couple of reasons:

1) They acquire the less expensive, easier to get watches along their journey to acquiring their first Rolex.

-OR-

2) They acquire a Rolex and the watch collecting bug bites them and they begin building out a “collection” (read: accumulation) of Omegas, etc that are fine watches but probably not purchased with the intent of keeping forever and handing down to a future generation. They’re essentially filler in the watch box.

Sorry, not sorry.
I have 3 Rolexes and an Omega, Just purchased the Omega 3 weeks ago and bought the first Rolex in 1985. Sometimes you just want a change....
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 12:11 AM   #189
samson66
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoak View Post
Completel;y agree regarding the bracelets. Omega's are much too fussy and no where near as well made. Roelx bracelets are simple, functional and timeless.
Tend to agree, although the new tapered Moonwatch bracelet has closed the gap. But I still think no one does as good a bracelet as Rolex. They oyster bracelet with glidelock clasp is pure perfection.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 12:31 AM   #190
Easy E

Quote:

-OR-

Sorry, not sorry.

You should hook up with the mall guy. I'd bet you two will hit it off.

I bought this one because it's fabulous in every way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RGRacing1.jpg (113.6 KB, 289 views)
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 12:32 AM   #191
Mystro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
Probably a lot as many get robbed for their sneakers or just because they were a target.

As far as bracelets, the dive watches of both have very similar quality bracelets in their strength and how they are adjusted. I will give a slight nod to Rolex in a slight bit of a perceived quality from my perspective. Both bracelets are absolutely rock solid on their dive watches with the Omega a bit more organic and softer edges that touch your skin. Omega dive watches are designed to look better and more proportional in that 42-45mm size range. Rolex designs their watches for 40mm and then stretches them up to larger sizes but still look more natural at that 40mm size.

Old 9 August 2024, 12:55 AM   #192
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
You should hook up with the mall guy. I'd bet you two will hit it off.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 01:30 AM   #193
Stew7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex
These Rolex vs. Omega threads all end up reading the same. They are 2 different brands with very different styles and both make great products. Phrases like "better quality" and "better value" are all subjective and depend on personal preferences and individual experiences.

Given that this is TRF, there is an obvious bias towards Rolex but to dismiss Omega as worse than Rolex because it doesn't cost as much or hold its value is not representative of the true performance of the product. Clearly Rolex is a more desirable brand for the masses based on their 70+ years of very impressive marketing - but it doesn't make the product design and performance any better. It's goes back to customer preference.

There are a lot of new "enthusiasts" here but people seem to forget that Omega was rocking solid link bracelets and machined clasps years before Rolex. Here's a comparison of 2x watches both from 2006. One looks like a cheap sheet metal stamped bracelet and one has a very solid milled clasp and solid links. They're both awesome watches that I wear equally.

And eventually Rolex made the shift to more solid bracelet assemblies and now make phenomenal bracelets across all their models, as does Omega.

One thing that can't be debated is customer service and sales. What good is all of the Rolex marketing really doing if I can't walk in and buy the product I see in a magazine or on the billboard? Rolex & ADs were really providing the best experience 10 years ago. You saved your money and then walked in and bought something special. Now, that was a great experience. Not the silliness that goes on now. Which is a shame because I still very much like their products.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bracelets.jpg (88.3 KB, 282 views)
Stew7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 02:58 AM   #194
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
Quote:
That we don't know. With Rolex its name recognition that people hear when talking about watches. Omega has been around for a lot longer than Rolex. Omega 1848, Rolex 1905. It's all in the name that more people hear. I like Rolex but my Omega is more accurate.
JoseR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 03:21 AM   #195
Hostinkee
"TRF" Member

It kind of comes down to this… “throw your Omega in the sky, wave em side to side and keep your hands high” said the Notorious B.I.G never.
Hostinkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 03:30 AM   #196
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm82 View Post
They really don't have better movements. It's all spruced up ETAs and they only finish the parts that are visible when assembled. Everything you don't see is raw untreated surfaces, thin stamped out wheels etc. The setting mech is all stamped out sheet metal like 2824 and 2892. It's an ETA design after all.

They do run well and the coaxial is quite fun to work on. But they are far behind Rolex and the market knows this, and values the watches thereafter.

This is good info. Is this still the case with newer movements?

I always feel like the pre owned Omegas I look at run like +- 15sec/day or worse. While many Rolex seem to hold within +-5 or so even decades old with no service…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lesnerelli23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 04:49 AM   #197
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

Quote:

-OR-

Sorry, not sorry.

Ok Phil

Don’t be sorry. You figured out all the Omega guys.

It was a question for the ages.

Definitely mall-guy inspired.

JFC lol
Gearjockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 04:55 AM   #198
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostinkee View Post
It kind of comes down to this… “throw your Omega in the sky, wave em side to side and keep your hands high” said the Notorious B.I.G never.

Nice effort.

Did Omega guy ever die of GSW’s?
Gearjockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 05:20 AM   #199
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMP mast
A lot are saying on here that the movement on omega - especially the 8800 and 8900 are “better” than the Rolex 3135/3235

I don’t see that. My omega master coaxial 8800 is minus two per day yet is rated 0-5

My sub 3135 is about minus 1.5, my datejust 3235 is about -1 and my explorer ii 3285 is about plus 1.

So yeah not really sure that omega movement is that much better based on my sample of one.

And the quirky beat rate and mediocre power reserve are hardly ground breaking either tbf.

Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 05:30 AM   #200
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddypeepa View Post
A lot are saying on here that the movement on omega - especially the 8800 and 8900 are “better” than the Rolex 3135/3235

I don’t see that. My omega master coaxial 8800 is minus two per day yet is rated 0-5

My sub 3135 is about minus 1.5, my datejust 3235 is about -1 and my explorer ii 3285 is about plus 1.

So yeah not really sure that omega movement is that much better based on my sample of one.

And the quirky beat rate and mediocre power reserve are hardly ground breaking either tbf.

I had an 8800 based PO and I have 3135 sub.

By switching resting position each night I kept them both at +-0. That said, I only had the Omega a year so who knows what would have happened after a few more, while my Sub is 5 and still holding that accuracy.

Lesnerelli23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 05:32 AM   #201
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMP mast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesnerelli23 View Post
I had an 8800 based PO and I have 3135 sub.

By switching resting position each night I kept them both at +-0. That said, I only had the Omega a year so who knows what would have happened after a few more, while my Sub is 5 and still holding that accuracy.

Exactly. It’s noise not data

I’m yet to be convinced that omega movements are “superior” in stability, longevity, simplicity of service or any other meaningful measurement.

They are decent movement for sure but one of the arguments I see a lot are they are superior- how? I don’t agree or see that.

Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 06:01 AM   #202
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

To me what separates Rolex and Omega is the design language.

Rolex has models (DD/DJ/OP/Sub/GMT2/Daytona) that are timeless, iconic and rarely change. You can want any of these for a lifetime and know what you are getting (just not when). Additionally, they basically only make three bracelets, all of which are iconic and can be identified from a mile away.

In my opinion, Omega only make one model that is timeless/iconic (the Speedmaster Moonwatch) and even this model comes with too many variations. Other Omega models like the Seamaster have change the look of hands that some might say look unfinished and might seem terribly out of fashion at some point. All the Omega bracelets are forgettable.

All this being said, I am sure Rolexes and Omegas keep time pretty well (so well it would be hard to choose one over the other from an accuracy standpoint). However, if Omega could get its act together from a design language perspective, perhaps their watches would become more sought after.

In my case, the only Omega I own is the 3861 Moonwatch which I like, but its bracelet is not iconic and looks very ordinary. It is a fantastic watch with a nice history, and the only other Omega I want is the 321 (which is hard to get, but hasn't changed since the mid 1960s), as none of the other Omegas in their current line seem timeless or ironic.

On the other hand, I own three Rolexes and expect to acquire more. The key is what I want now, whenever I get it, will be the same.

Consistent design language is key to being timeless and iconic.
Laine V38 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS - Garmin Approach S62
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune/Lava
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 06:39 AM   #203
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I had the Omega Racing 44 white dial. Extremely accurate watch, like +2s a week. Let it go eventually, after 2 years. Legibility at a glance wasn't the best, but my deal breaker was the absence of a date quickset, which can be a pain if like me you rotate watches but don't use a winder.

I still own a Planet Ocean 2500. Been wearing it since 2005. I love it. It's a special piece to me. My first step into "luxury" watches at the time. Worn daily 7 years straight. I don't wear it much these days, but it's a keeper.

However, for some reason, I never felt compelled to add another Omega after selling the Speedy. I just don't desire another one. I don't like some of Swatch Group decisions, like the Moonswatch and Blancpain collabs junk. All the limited editions. They're not afraid to devalue the brand, in my eyes at least. Maybe that's why I don't want one.

Rolex feels different, less utilitarian, less anything goes, more conservative in general, closer to my idea of luxury.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 06:53 AM   #204
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post

USA! USA! USA!

Well at least Rolex has the generosity of eating their profits by giving us a bracelet that’s made of more than 3 similar parts across all the lengths. The no taper thing is 100% laziness.

As a big Seiko fan, taper is overrated

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 07:03 AM   #205
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
I've been wearing a Rolex since 1984, but I have a vintage Seamaster Planet Ocean on the way.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 07:26 AM   #206
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
If we are talking bracelets, by the way, the best bracelet I have is on my Santos.

Beautifully made, a clever quick release mechanism, perfect case integration, a discreet yet effective butterflly clasp, a brilliant almost invisible link removal mechanism that is failsafe and offers damage free adjustment with a simple push tool and its beautifully finished.

Frankly it puts a Rolex oyster bracelet to shame.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 07:58 AM   #207
jibby23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
If we are talking bracelets, by the way, the best bracelet I have is on my Santos.

Beautifully made, a clever quick release mechanism, perfect case integration, a discreet yet effective butterflly clasp, a brilliant almost invisible link removal mechanism that is failsafe and offers damage free adjustment with a simple push tool and its beautifully finished.

Frankly it puts a Rolex oyster bracelet to shame.
100% agree on this, that Cartier bracelet could sell w/o a watch
jibby23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 10:01 AM   #208
RustyW
"TRF" Member

I own both. Multiple Rolexes (5 digit Sea Dweller, Deep Sea, SD 43, Oyster quartz). CUrrently still have the SD 43 & OQ.

The bracelet on my Omega Ploprof is very, very nice. Very well made. The case work on it (polished chamfered edges/hard corners meeting brushed case top and sides, hard angles mixed with rounded areas, shape) is the nicest I've handled on a sports watch. It is really, really nice craftsmanship.

Movement...I haven't had problems with Rolex (yet...knock on wood) mechanicals. I have a SD 43 w/ the 3235. The OysterQuartz from the 80s was handed down to me and has been a little rough go. Serviced twice now since 2018 and not running again. I have not sent it to Rolex yet though. Well respected independents have worked on it. May just need a battery now...not sure.

I had to the have the Ploprof serviced a couple of years ago because the hour hand would not advance past 9pm. I had to reset it every am and it would work fine until 9 pm (3 hours before the date changed over). It quit working after I tried to advance the hand in reverse near the midnight hour. Anyway, has run flawless since getting it back from Omega service center in Seattle.

That has been my experience.

I want a Speedmaster pro next BTW.
RustyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 12:49 PM   #209
thatswhatshesaid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's a pretty strong 8 word argument.
thatswhatshesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 12:54 PM   #210
thatswhatshesaid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseR View Post
That we don't know. With Rolex its name recognition that people hear when talking about watches. Omega has been around for a lot longer than Rolex. Omega 1848, Rolex 1905. It's all in the name that more people hear. I like Rolex but my Omega is more accurate.
Listen, I own Rolex Omega breitling and panerai. I'm a fan of all.

The post is very accurate because people get mugged for their Rolex for a reason and that reason is money.

Thiefs don't care about a Omega that retails for $5,000 that they can sell for $2,000. They care about a $10,000 Rolex that they can sell for $15,000.

This is why you don't see any threads about guys that went to Vegas, met a girl in a casino and woke up in their room missing their breitling or Omega.
thatswhatshesaid is offline   Reply With Quote