The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: The Supercase was a MISTAKE!
Agree 326 33.06%
Disagree 371 37.63%
I like both 203 20.59%
Don’t know / don’t care 86 8.72%
Voters: 986. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20 October 2020, 10:58 PM   #211
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexxus View Post
Now looking back at the supercase its so ugly...
Yeah, a bit too manly for some...the poll numbers while close have disagree edging ahead
Old 20 October 2020, 10:58 PM   #212
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
You didn’t like the video? They have 68K subscribers and the video received 11,000+ views and a 94% positive rating in only 24 hours. Fairly impressive.
Rolex sold every single super case that was made for a decade, and the vast majority of people that want one can’t buy one without spending a large premium over MSRP. Much more impressive than an opinion of someone trolling to generate those followers (and likes and follows aren’t cash like Rolex got for making the super case).

That said, the design change looks good. I like it, but I didn’t dislike the super case. Most importantly, only 0.0000001% of people in the world would know, notice or care about the extremely slight difference. The rest just want a Sub.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 11:13 PM   #213
WastedYears
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Yeah, a bit too manly for some...the poll numbers while close have disagree edging ahead
The SD43 with it's slimmer lugs is obviously also a very "girly" watch
WastedYears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 11:15 PM   #214
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WastedYears View Post

For sure. Super Amazon woman girly.
Old 20 October 2020, 11:20 PM   #215
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoOne View Post
Rolex sold every single super case that was made for a decade, and the vast majority of people that want one can’t buy one without spending a large premium over MSRP. Much more impressive than an opinion of someone trolling to generate those followers (and likes and follows aren’t cash like Rolex got for making the super case).
No one is arguing that the Submariner line isn't popular. Rolex sells every Air King they make too. And Pontiac sold every Aztek. That's a different discussion than evaluating/comparing the aesthetic evolution.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 11:22 PM   #216
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
That's a tad harsh, but fair, opinion. Some might offer a more nuanced perspective... that, in retrospect, the lug design on the 11 Supercase appears less elegant and refined than that of its successor.
If I want a "elegant" watch, I will buy a Cellini or some other brand of dress watch. I find it comical that a dive watch should be elegant.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 11:23 PM   #217
Ranger67
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB Bluesy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoOne View Post

That said, the design change looks good. I like it, but I didn’t dislike the super case. Most importantly, only 0.0000001% of people in the world would know, notice or care about the extremely slight difference. The rest just want a Sub.
I think this thread was made knowing it will create some controversy and get many replies, as I’ve said on previous reply I’ve not watched the video and don’t intend to, for this I was told I wasn’t a Rolex enthusiast, I reiterate my point I’ve have read soooooo many opinions I don’t need another, I have an 11 and love it, I will also get a 12 when available, about time this thread was put to bed as it’s the same vitriol being repeated over and over again zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Ranger67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2020, 11:55 PM   #218
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
If I want a "elegant" watch, I will buy a Cellini or some other brand of dress watch. I find it comical that a dive watch should be elegant.
The SD43 is even more tapered and elegant than the Sub... and it's also quite capable. A $10K LUXURY dive watch should be able to do the job -- and look classy and stylish while doing it.
Old 20 October 2020, 11:58 PM   #219
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger67 View Post
I think this thread was made knowing it will create some controversy and get many replies, as I’ve said on previous reply I’ve not watched the video and don’t intend to, for this I was told I wasn’t a Rolex enthusiast, I reiterate my point I’ve have read soooooo many opinions I don’t need another, I have an 11 and love it, I will also get a 12 when available, about time this thread was put to bed as it’s the same vitriol being repeated over and over again zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
1. So, you won't watch the video that is the subject of the discussion.
2. You think the discussion is tired... but you keep commenting (even though you haven't watched the video).
3. You think the thread should be closed because it doesn't interest you.

Post of the month!!!
Old 21 October 2020, 12:03 AM   #220
javier
"TRF" Member

yes indeed
javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 12:08 AM   #221
Kostas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @ kostastimepieces
Looks like someones about to have a meltdown

Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 12:13 AM   #222
steveyrock
"TRF" Member

It wasn't a mistake. At the time larger watches were in fashion. I am glad they did the supercase rather than increase the size. Now smaller watches are in, I still surprised they increase to 40.5mm. I know it not much and that they slimed out the lugs to make it look smaller but I still surprised they went larger. I wonder what would it look like if they went to 39.5 MM and kept 20mm lug with.
steveyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 12:13 AM   #223
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WastedYears View Post
Apparently some people complain about big watches, my wife is petite but wears men’s watches. I don’t actually believe the term mans watch is as relevant anymore but figured some might need help understanding big watches...
Old 21 October 2020, 12:22 AM   #224
JP(Canada)
"TRF" Member

I never quite warmed up to the super case enough to keep one in the stable for too long, and the older 5 digit versions looked nice to me, but were too small for my taste. The latest Sub seems to have addressed my concerns. For similar reasons, I prefer the EXP2 and latest DeepSea.

The nice thing is that there is enough variety in the Sub range to appeal to various people.
Old 21 October 2020, 01:30 AM   #225
Ranger67
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB Bluesy
Quote:
1. So, you won't watch the video that is the subject of the discussion.
2. You think the discussion is tired... but you keep commenting (even though you haven't watched the video).
3. You think the thread should be closed because it doesn't interest you.

Post of the month!!!
1, As said do not need anymore opinions, why would someone on the internet be any more informative, i have tried on the new releases, i know what they look and feel like, i have put side by side with my 11, i have my own views, i have heard all sides of the discussion many, many times, how is that not clear?

2, yes the discussion is tired, i don't KEEP commenting, thread keeps appearing and nothing new comes up its the same opinions regurgitated, yes i think its run its coarse, you keep coming back to the thread to give it legs and posting on other related threads repeating the same issues again.

3, It did interest me but how much more can be said about the bracelet size, the thinner lugs, the diameter, the AR coating, the thickness, the weight, give me strength! its a evolution of a watch, with very subtle changes.
Ranger67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 02:05 AM   #226
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Wow, lots of comments.

TRF got trolled by the video.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 02:06 AM   #227
franktehtank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post
You can like the Supercase lugs, but that don't make 'em pretty

The Oyster case was never meant to have such fat lugs. They had the design right back in the '50s and I'm glad for Rolex to see the error in their ways. They may have sold a ton but, aesthetically speaking, the Supercase was a miss.
In your opinion

Everyone is stating their opinion like fact. You'd think everyone here has personal contact with the head of Rolex design.
franktehtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 02:13 AM   #228
JerBear
"TRF" Member

OP, are you affiliated with C&C? If not, they owe you royalties.

I love my 116610LN. I have not tried on the new model but from what I can tell online it looks great too.

I'm extremely new to Rolex but I would have thought Sub owners would have been more united, celebrating the different models and variations. Sadly that does not appear so.
JerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 02:23 AM   #229
thlax
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
[QUOTE=Kostas;11006797]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlax View Post
The difference between going between the old bracelet and new bracelet is like trying on a Rolex with Non-SEL vs. SEL. The old bracelet feels so skinny in flimsy now.

- r/username checks out

Is this true? flimsy?

Just night and day difference with how the wider bracelet feels.

2020 Green OP41 124300 (Sold), 2020 114060 ND Sub (Sold) Tudor BB58 Blue (Sold), CHNR (Sold), 126603 TT SD43 (Sold) 116500 Black Daytona (Sold), 5512 vintage ‘69 (Sold) 114060 (Sold), AP15202ST (Sold) AP15500 Grey (Sold), 126710 BLRO Pepsi (Sold), 2018 39MM White OP (Sold), SD43 (Sold), ALS 1815 WG (Sold), 116520 White Daytona (sold), DSSD (Sold), 116655 RG YM (Returned), 116619LB Smurf (Sold), PP 5167A (Sold), AP Diver (Sold), PAM112 (Sold)
thlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 02:47 AM   #230
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Wow, lots of comments.

TRF got trolled by the video.
To be fair, I took a 3-second comment (out of a 20-minute video) and sensationalized it to spur a productive and substantive discussion on TRF. I don't think C&C intended for that to happen. And, for the most part, the debate has been extremely cordial and positive. Very few people literally think Rolex made a "mistake" per se. We are just sharing opinions on the recent changes to the Submariner line. It's all in good fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerBear View Post
OP, are you affiliated with C&C? If not, they owe you royalties.
They get plenty of views and subscribes on their own. They don't need my help... although this thread probably generated some traffic to their YouTube channel. Again, the video has a 94% "thumbs up" so people who actually watched the video liked it. We should be appreciative of enthusiasts and resellers who create interesting content for us to enjoy. And, I think we are all united in our love for Rolex.
Old 21 October 2020, 02:56 AM   #231
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyrock View Post
It wasn't a mistake. At the time larger watches were in fashion. I am glad they did the supercase rather than increase the size. Now smaller watches are in, I still surprised they increase to 40.5mm. I know it not much and that they slimed out the lugs to make it look smaller but I still surprised they went larger. I wonder what would it look like if they went to 39.5 MM and kept 20mm lug with.

I’d like to see that. I think the problem with the super case is that it doesn’t flow smoothly to the band/lugs and that gives it an odd look. If you look at the original Bond sub on the fabric strap you’ll see that strap is not as wide as the lugs and it has an odd look also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 03:05 AM   #232
Fenix84
"TRF" Member

I feel it was a mistake, glad its been fixed cause its quite the improvement and a return to traditional proportions.
Fenix84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 03:20 AM   #233
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowaco View Post
I’d like to see that. I think the problem with the super case is that it doesn’t flow smoothly to the band/lugs and that gives it an odd look. If you look at the original Bond sub on the fabric strap you’ll see that strap is not as wide as the lugs and it has an odd look also.

Back in 1962 you did not have the internet and watch geek forums to critique such things. The Bond Sub is famous nonetheless.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 03:32 AM   #234
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowaco View Post

There are reasons why the bond watch looked like that in the movie, all the reasons have everything to do with the fact it was featured in that movie. That was fiction.
That wasn't how it was sold. Even the fixed spring bar Subs and Mil Subs had appropriate straps that fit accordingly. However, your comments about the case shape is spot on and remember those Submariners were in the 37mm size range.
That's closer to a 36mm DJ than a 40mm Sub.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 03:43 AM   #235
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

Definitely a big mistake but they corrected with the new collection
Rodrigo082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 03:56 AM   #236
inv1siblehand
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Disclaimer: I am biased as a 114060 owner and lover

Opinion: the Supercase helped to differentiate the Submariner from other dive watches. The original case shape introduced in the 1950's was copied by other brands and Rolex had to move away from a design they created to stand out from the pack. The new case looks beautiful, but it may lead to consumers considering other divers more readily than they had previously.
inv1siblehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 05:06 AM   #237
Tallbark
"TRF" Member

I still wonder why they didn't update the GMT II case the same way as the SUB?
Tallbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 05:20 AM   #238
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv1siblehand View Post
Disclaimer: I am biased as a 114060 owner and lover

Opinion: the Supercase helped to differentiate the Submariner from other dive watches. The original case shape introduced in the 1950's was copied by other brands and Rolex had to move away from a design they created to stand out from the pack. The new case looks beautiful, but it may lead to consumers considering other divers more readily than they had previously.
A very interesting hypothesis
I never thought about it in those terms, but it doesn't fully explain the back track in terms of styling
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 05:22 AM   #239
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
I like how different the "super case" is from my 16710.

I'm also a biased owner of the Hulk, so there are no regrets here!
Old 21 October 2020, 05:39 AM   #240
Fin3908
Banned Scammer

Watch: GMT, JC, SD4k,Dj
I have a Dj36 just purchased, love it, very light, feels nice on my wrist.

I also have a 16710 larger watch feels great. Love it also

I recently got the call for the SD43.
I was worried I wasn’t going to like it because of the size. I tried it on, haven’t taking of yet. Great watch.

Rolex made no mistake, they know what there doing your all talking about now.

if you don’t like the watch because of the size
Don’t buy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fin3908 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
124060 , 126610ln , 126610lv , 2020 rolex , lugs , submariner , supercase