The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 21 June 2022, 08:59 AM   #241
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carterman32 View Post
Honestly, when I first looked at the hangtags, it didn't make sense that it didn't have the same day as the warranty. Or that it used the day instead of the year after the month. But that all checks out. But can never be too careful, right? Even reputable sellers make mistakes. And do you think every gray market dealer opens the case to check? Many are dealing with hundreds of watches at a time. They may loupe them, but it's easy to put in an after market dial and mixed guts.

Nobody is taking the time to Frankenstein a watch that is widely available at retail from Cartier and authorized dealers themselves.

People write the day that way in countries outside of the USA. In fact, that’s how Rolex warranty cards are supposed to be dated.

The santos is actually a hard watch to fake either way. The easiest way to tell a fake watch these days seems to be the warranty cards actually. So the fact that checked out is the key info you needed.

I just sold my santos. I did a lot of research on this stuff so I speak from experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2022, 09:22 AM   #242
Carterman32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
Nobody is taking the time to Frankenstein a watch that is widely available at retail from Cartier and authorized dealers themselves.

People write the day that way in countries outside of the USA. In fact, that’s how Rolex warranty cards are supposed to be dated.

The santos is actually a hard watch to fake either way. The easiest way to tell a fake watch these days seems to be the warranty cards actually. So the fact that checked out is the key info you needed.

I just sold my santos. I did a lot of research on this stuff so I speak from experience.

They can and do Frankenstein Santoses with working warranty cards. See link below. Someone got duped by a reliable seller, who had a watch with a working warranty card that matched the watch. I assume a scammer saw a real Santos for sale without the serial blurred out. Then they took that serial, manufactured a fake watch and card, and sold it for a huge profit. Buyer only found out by servicing at Cartier. This is why I'm asking questions about mine. Even reliable dealers may miss something. And my guess is many don't even bother opening the cases.

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/c...rvice.5239121/
Carterman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2022, 07:08 PM   #243
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

Thank you for this thread.

I recently stumbled across the new Santos De Cartier model and especially the full ADLC version and the partial one.

And your insight and photos have been of great help.

Seriously thinking of getting the WSSA0037
Old 2 July 2022, 07:28 PM   #244
Juan_B
Banned

Beautiful watch
Juan_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2022, 07:06 AM   #245
thewatchidiot
"TRF" Member

Can anyone educate me on the difference between the santos de Cartier and the santos dumont?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thewatchidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2022, 08:44 AM   #246
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewatchidiot View Post
Can anyone educate me on the difference between the santos de Cartier and the santos dumont?

Santos dumont is more similar in design to the original santos. It comes on a leather strap exclusively. Most of the models have quartz movements. The dial typically features elongated Roman numerals. There are some really nice limited edition dumont’s with better movements and precious metals, but they’re pricey.

The santos de Cartier is the more modern take on the original santos. It comes on a metal bracelet and has a strap system to add a leather strap, so it’s the best of both worlds. The case is a bit thicker and more sporty, whereas the dumont is a little dressier.

Old 3 July 2022, 09:48 AM   #247
thewatchidiot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Santos dumont is more similar in design to the original santos. It comes on a leather strap exclusively. Most of the models have quartz movements. The dial typically features elongated Roman numerals. There are some really nice limited edition dumont’s with better movements and precious metals, but they’re pricey.

The santos de Cartier is the more modern take on the original santos. It comes on a metal bracelet and has a strap system to add a leather strap, so it’s the best of both worlds. The case is a bit thicker and more sporty, whereas the dumont is a little dressier.

Thanks I appreciate your explanation and I have a little more understanding now
thewatchidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2022, 10:10 AM   #248
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewatchidiot View Post
Thanks I appreciate your explanation and I have a little more understanding now

The santos de Cartier has an automatic movement I should clarify. Looks wise, either is a great watch. The santos de Cartier is very versatile. I personally found the idea that the bezel is a scratch magnet to be overrated. It picks up hairlines but so do most watches that are worn. I ultimately got rid of mine because I couldn’t stand the accuracy (or lack thereof). But I miss the watch because of how awesome it looked every time I wore it.

Old 3 July 2022, 10:41 AM   #249
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
My Santos medium

Old 6 July 2022, 12:17 AM   #250
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman, Kermit
Quote:
I ultimately got rid of mine because I couldn’t stand the accuracy (or lack thereof). But I miss the watch because of how awesome it looked every time I wore it.

Did you ever send it back to Cartier to be serviced or regulated. A guy I know bought a new one maybe 6 months to a year ago. He wasn't happy with the accuracy, and brought it to Cartier to have it regulated. They gave the movement a complete overhaul (which was free since it the warranty is still in effect). Now it is running within chronometer specs, even though it is not a certified chronometer, and he is very happy with it. Just a thought if you ever pick up another one.
Dino944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2022, 01:01 AM   #251
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
Did you ever send it back to Cartier to be serviced or regulated. A guy I know bought a new one maybe 6 months to a year ago. He wasn't happy with the accuracy, and brought it to Cartier to have it regulated. They gave the movement a complete overhaul (which was free since it the warranty is still in effect). Now it is running within chronometer specs, even though it is not a certified chronometer, and he is very happy with it. Just a thought if you ever pick up another one.

I actually did and Cartier told me it was NOT worth regulating. I was getting really varying differences, some days +8 and some days as much as +18. In the end, it probably averaged around +11 over the course of the two weeks I timed it. One day, I took it to 3 ADs in the span of an hour and they used a timographer, which read +9, +12 and +16 within that span. That’s when I took it to Cartier.

Cartier said that the specs for the santos are -5 to +13, so the average I was getting was at the very upper bound of that range. Cartier said it wasn’t worth having their watchmaker regulate it given it was that close to spec. I didn’t wanna force the issue with them though they did say they would do it if I wanted. Ultimately traded the watch for a reverso a week later and im much happier.

Obviously one doesn’t buy a Cartier for its movement. However, i wish the watch ran a bit better while I had it. I know some people have gotten much better accuracy than I did. The biggest issue I had was not so much the lack of accuracy but the inconsistency. I can tolerate a watch that is constantly + or - - certain amount. But to vary so wildly day by day just drove me crazy.

Old 6 July 2022, 02:15 AM   #252
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I actually did and Cartier told me it was NOT worth regulating. I was getting really varying differences, some days +8 and some days as much as +18. In the end, it probably averaged around +11 over the course of the two weeks I timed it. One day, I took it to 3 ADs in the span of an hour and they used a timographer, which read +9, +12 and +16 within that span. That’s when I took it to Cartier.

Cartier said that the specs for the santos are -5 to +13, so the average I was getting was at the very upper bound of that range. Cartier said it wasn’t worth having their watchmaker regulate it given it was that close to spec. I didn’t wanna force the issue with them though they did say they would do it if I wanted. Ultimately traded the watch for a reverso a week later and im much happier.

Obviously one doesn’t buy a Cartier for its movement. However, i wish the watch ran a bit better while I had it. I know some people have gotten much better accuracy than I did. The biggest issue I had was not so much the lack of accuracy but the inconsistency. I can tolerate a watch that is constantly + or - - certain amount. But to vary so wildly day by day just drove me crazy.

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you, but I'm glad the Reverso has worked out well.
Old 18 July 2022, 09:51 PM   #253
Fifteen
Banned

Just bought a santos today but noticed when I got home they there is a gap (about 1mm) where the two sides of the bracelet meets in the clasp. I looked at some photos online and I see that same watches have them and some don’t. Is this a QC problem? I got a two tone medium. Otherwise, fantastic watch!
Fifteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2022, 01:12 PM   #254
sss205
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub.
Adding my new Santos to the group! Love this thing

sss205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2022, 05:24 AM   #255
Inseconds99
"TRF" Member

I am considering buying a black Santos soon. Love the look of it with the alligator band. Love the photos everyone, keep them coming.
Inseconds99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2022, 06:42 AM   #256
Carterman32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonsowwss View Post
Still one of my favorites.

I wanted this one but I tried on my friend's blue dial Large and it was way too big for my six inch wrist. Really a bummer that they don't make these in a medium for everyone to enjoy.
Carterman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 07:15 AM   #257
PO 2500D
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43TT & DJII blue
I really like the Santos so versatile strap or bracelet

cartier wrist shot 3 by Neil Willerton, on Flickr

wrist shot cartier by Neil Willerton, on Flickr
PO 2500D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2023, 03:10 AM   #258
Jim_K
"TRF" Member

Can anyone advise if you can get a pin buckle strap from Cartier for the Santos?

I dislike deployant straps and if I can't find a pin buckle option, it would keep me from getting the watch.

Delugs currently sells straps with the proprietary end, but will cease in May23 due to Cartier sending them a cease and desist.
Jim_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2023, 03:25 AM   #259
yorkzilla
"TRF" Member

My first Cartier.

Old 18 February 2023, 07:06 AM   #260
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
My Tank Francaise 18 k WG, automatic, and my Tank Solar Beat with in-house quartz battery with 16 year life

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2023, 09:37 AM   #261
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo5 View Post
My Tank Francaise 18 k WG, automatic, and my Tank Solar Beat with in-house quartz battery with 16 year life

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Nice pair
MichelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2023, 01:16 PM   #262
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Mine says hello…
I did write a review of this watch. Great piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 959B9E99-4918-4D6E-8912-5805988A3C84.jpeg (87.4 KB, 430 views)
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2023, 03:15 AM   #263
buddenfan
Banned

I’m looking to buy a vintage Santos. Whats a better buy a Carree or a Galbee?
buddenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2023, 03:38 AM   #264
buddenfan
Banned

Found a galbee moonphase for $5100 worth it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6DEC7E85-8DCA-458B-AC2E-5BE73A52D691.jpeg (248.7 KB, 398 views)
Old 22 February 2023, 04:44 AM   #265
buddenfan
Banned

Do you guys prefer your santos automatic or quartz?
Old 22 February 2023, 05:18 AM   #266
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddenfan View Post
Not sure.
But I have been studying up on the Santos from the late 70’s and would like to find a nice example.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2023, 03:47 AM   #267
buddenfan
Banned

Quote:
If it was automatic and carree id def buy
Old 23 February 2023, 02:08 PM   #268
Birch
"TRF" Member

Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2023, 12:35 AM   #269
Dino944
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If it was automatic and carree id def buy
I think the Santos Galbee Moonphase watches were all quartz.
Old 4 March 2023, 05:07 AM   #270
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40
The first reaction was to add another Rolex. Was told I could pretty much have my pick of SS minus daytona (obvs), I have a good relationship with my SA.

My current

Exp II 226570
Datejust II 116334
Sub LV 126610 LV
Yachtmaster 40 126622
Tag Monaco Heuer 02

I turned down a GMT BLNR to get this today.

And boy am I happy, everything about this screams elegance and understated.

I started this watch game falling to the brand power of the crown. Sometimes you just need to realise there’s a whole wide world out there.

Will now be my go to, almost my gada, the times when a little bit of panache is needed.

Next step will defo be the day date however , which will hopefully position me well for the Daytona and then I’m done
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F7C373BB-3809-4058-87E8-CB79997F5CF0.jpeg (96.4 KB, 267 views)
RoRoRo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cartier , santos