The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 8 June 2024, 05:19 AM   #1
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Visiting Japan

I expect to visit Japan this fall and wonder if there are any watch stores or boutiques that are musts to see.

At this point, I will be in Tokyo and Kyoto, but may add other cities as we will be there for two weeks.

There have been two GS LEs that I have been curious about that were not offered in the states (SBGY 027 and/or 029). Any chance I see these in the motherland?

Any suggestions?
Laine V38 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS - Garmin Approach S62
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2024, 11:25 AM   #2
thegrandseikoguy
"TRF" Member

Strongly recommend you check out Anthony Kable's travel articles that you can find here -

https://www.plus9time.com/travel-articles

Additionally, Anthony has put together a map of interesting places to check out -

https://www.plus9time.com/japan-watch-guide-map

It is highly unlikely that you will come across SBGY027/029 in Japan. The former was a European exclusive, and the latter a London exclusive.
thegrandseikoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2024, 07:32 PM   #3
IGY
"TRF" Member

GS in Japan

1) SBGY027 and SBGY029 were Continental European and UK exclusives, respectively. So low likelihood of seeing either in Japan. The 027 has a cool grey/silver overtone to the dial, whereas the dial on the 029 has a cream / off white overtone that is warmer. I own the SBGY029 and I really enjoy wearing it. Here is a quick picture of it.

2) As I posted in another similar topic, check out getting a JR Rail pass which you need to buy before travelling to Japan. As for watch shops this blog post gives some excellent recommendations.

Watch hunting in tokyo

I hope you have an epic time in Japan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GS5.jpg (114.8 KB, 166 views)
IGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2024, 07:37 PM   #4
IGY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrandseikoguy View Post
It is highly unlikely that you will come across SBGY027/029 in Japan. The former was a European exclusive, and the latter a London exclusive.
I see that you are living in Thailand. The two Thai-exclusive SBGY models released in 2022 were epic, but not for the introvert.

For those unaware do a google search on:

SBGY021 Nami
SBGY025 Hikari (this one is a little bit similar to Glasshutte Original's Eye of Sauron)

Hang on, found this link:
Thailand SBGY specials
Old 11 June 2024, 12:57 AM   #5
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Great responses so far.

I plan on basing my stay out of Tokyo and Kyoto (one week each). Any hotel suggestions welcome. A strong US $ makes cost a 2ndary issue.

I love that everyone has SBGY suggestions.

My first GS was a difficult choice btwn the SBGA 407 and the SBGY 007.

Now that I have the Skyflake, I don't want to get another light blue dialed watch. The swirl pattern of the 027 and 029 really have caught my attention.

While I would like either one, the cream colored 029 is really special.

Wonder if they will ever introduce something similar in the states?
Laine V38 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS - Garmin Approach S62
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
Old 11 June 2024, 09:05 PM   #6
IGY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
I plan on basing my stay out of Tokyo and Kyoto (one week each). Any hotel suggestions welcome. A strong US $ makes cost a 2ndary issue.

Wonder if they will ever introduce something similar in the states?
1) No idea. I stay with friends.

2) That year Grand Seiko released the SBGY023 for the US market. The dial is Kira-zuri “sparkling painting” in a primarily grey tone (with slight Brown subtone). Quite nice, but another cool tone, not like the warmer 029 we got in the UK. I'm not wanting to sell mine, but if you don't mind importing from the UK signup to Subdial's weekly email. Subdial is a really well run and professional used watch dealer in London. They've sold the only two SBGY029 that I've seen come on the market here. None currently listed (there were only 50 in the limited run), but worth keeping an eye out. I sometimes see the SBGY003 come up for sale, and that trades a little above it's original RRP given the rarity and attractiveness of the dial.
Old 25 June 2024, 05:42 AM   #7
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Is it safe for tourists to wear nice watches when traveling to Tokyo/Kyoto?
Old 25 June 2024, 06:23 AM   #8
Mighty_Kraken
"TRF" Member

Quote:
One of the safest places on earth to wear nice watches imho. Similar to Dubai
Mighty_Kraken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2024, 03:45 AM   #9
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

I’m a huge fan of the Imperial in Tokyo. Simply peerless location; it’s not as ultra-luxury as some of the competition, but it’s Japan in distillate. It’s also being demolished and the Hibya area redeveloped, so this is the last chance to stay in this iteration.
mongrelnomoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2024, 03:46 AM   #10
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
If you took your $100,000 watch off and left in on a sidewalk table, it’d still be there when you got back… if someone didn’t run after you with it.
mongrelnomoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2024, 04:15 AM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
If you took your $100,000 watch off and left in on a sidewalk table, it’d still be there when you got back… if someone didn’t run after you with it.
That’s a refreshing thought
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote