The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 15 October 2014, 04:28 PM   #1
expensivetaste
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 124060
Most sought after

I am interested in finding a list of the different models in regards to their collectiveness, or how sought after they are. I have looked through quite a few pages of this section and have yet to find what I am looking for, although I certainly could have just overlooked it. I have notice that the Logo models usually sell relatively quickly on here, i love these models but isn't this a bit backwards as these models have an ETA movement, painted dial, and no complications. What makes them so popular, is it the logo? Any help in all of this would be greatly appreciated as i am new to the Panerai world.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
~Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
expensivetaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2014, 08:34 PM   #2
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by expensivetaste View Post
I am interested in finding a list of the different models in regards to their collectiveness, or how sought after they are...
I don't believe there's such a list. Just like Rolex, you need to put in some time in learning about Panerai's history and what makes one model more desirable than the next.

To get a quick overview of Panerai's history, check out Jake's excellent blog.

Two things that might simplify your quest:
1. the original Panerai watches were large and simple. The "base" Panerais (3-6-9-12 and two hands) are some of the most popular among Panerai fans ("Paneristi"). For those who can pull it off, a 47mm base like the 372 is the essence of Panerai. Less imposing but no less admirable are the 44mm Luminor base (000) and Marina (005) logos and their derivatives. A strong fondness for either the "vintage years" or the "Pre-Vendome" ("SlyTech") years will also influence one's choices.

2. Special Editions are more "collectable" than production, for obvious reasons. OP's website has a list of all Special Editions released.

Beyond that, I would again recommend that you take the time to learn something about the brand's history to see why Paneristi are attracted by certain models more than others...

Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2014, 01:53 AM   #3
Preeble
"TRF" Member

I agree with everything that Traveller said and I would add:
- ETA movements should in no way detract from the value of the watch. While Panerai may want to charge you more for watches with their own movements, the reality is that there are an equal number of pros/cons about the movement. With Panerai, the only time I would consider movement as a factor is when a non-ETA or non-Panerai movement is used (e.g., the JLC in the 190) as those may cause some to believe that those watches have some additional value
- I also don't believe that there is a different in 'value' or 'worth' between the painted and sandwich dials. Both have a relevant place in history and I think anyone would be hard-pressed to give a reason why one would want one vs the other besides personal preference. There are actually three types of dials - sandwich, painted and a variant that is filled (look at the 590 for a recent example). Of the three, I think that the filled type is very intriguing.
- The 000 and 005 sell fast because of their price point and because of their simpleness. Make no mistake though - there are/were large quantities of these watches produced (for Panerai) and they aren't considered collector's watches.
- The best piece of advice that is mentioned (and I agree with) is that you shouldn't be buying Panerais to serve as appreciating assets. Very few of the models sold within the past 10 years are selling for more than their original asking price
Preeble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2014, 12:01 PM   #4
expensivetaste
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 124060
I appreciate you both for taking the time to respond. I have been putting some time into researching the brand and it's history and I must admit that i am falling more and more in love with them. I am finding that Panerai has an extremely rich and interesting history!

I would like to clarify that I do not intend to purchase any in the hopes that they will appreciate, I buy watches that speak to me, not on the opinions of others. my question is based out of curiosity and interest in learning about the brand.

In a world of complicated and sometimes overcrowded dials the 000 and 005 are a breath of fresh air, I love their simplicity! Thanks again for taking the time out to "educate" me, I am off to continue my research!
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
~Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
expensivetaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2014, 09:36 PM   #5
up2nogood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
This a difficult one to answer, as you're straddling two concepts.
The rare/early base models are collectible.
The newer base and logo models are cheaper, and made in volume. Accordingly, they sell faster as an entry point to the brand. They are not collectible.

Panerai have recently begun adding complications, the pinnacle being the ceramic tourbillon 396. This will hopefully be collectible, but is affordable to few.

The 237 and 382 were LE's that were affordable models that became collectible and appreciated rapidly. Others have not followed the same trajectory.

My advice?
Troll the Internet. Check out owner reviews.
Get on down to your AD. Get a catalogue. Check out their stock. Go to other dealers if they don't have a large enough selection.
Then, after hours of trolling/trying on different models, buy the exact opposite model as it fits you better and you love it!
up2nogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2014, 02:51 AM   #6
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by expensivetaste View Post
I am interested in finding a list of the different models in regards to their collectiveness, or how sought after they are. I have looked through quite a few pages of this section and have yet to find what I am looking for, although I certainly could have just overlooked it. I have notice that the Logo models usually sell relatively quickly on here, i love these models but isn't this a bit backwards as these models have an ETA movement, painted dial, and no complications. What makes them so popular, is it the logo? Any help in all of this would be greatly appreciated as i am new to the Panerai world.
IMHO.. 372 is pretty much the prefect one for me! The only other one I am interested now is 587.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2014, 03:00 AM   #7
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
IMHO.. 372 is pretty much the prefect one for me! The only other one I am interested now is 587.
Yup
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote