The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 September 2024, 03:57 AM   #1
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR 226570
Could the 116900 AirKing be the best pre-owned value at the moment?

First Off…

I KNOW. The AirKing is a polarizing model. It’s busy and unconventional. It’s a race car inspired watch with an aviation moniker.

However, If it’s your jam, I think the predecessor to the current 126900 may constitute one of the best values out there in the used market.

For prices in the mid to high sixes, you can get a like new condition 116900. Is the 126 objectively better? Sure, I think so too. But there’s not that much difference. Crown guards, an improved (symmetrical) 05 marker, marginal lume, and a few other things. The watches are very similar.

However, if you’ve always wanted to have a playful Rolex that looks great on an aftermarket strap as well as oyster and are budget conscious, this may be the way to go! With some mild negotiating, you are about $1500 under the after tax price of a new 126900 with no wait.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2024, 04:13 AM   #2
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Best pre-owned value is probably the previous gen Explorer II - and the current gen isn't trailing that far behind it.
mgsooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2024, 04:30 AM   #3
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
Best pre-owned value is probably the previous gen Explorer II - and the current gen isn't trailing that far behind it.
(Me nodding)

Could be right….

Of course, the current gen doesn’t work for many wrists. I have seen some black dial 16570’s for some great deals. You are going with a watch that may potentially need immediate servicing though.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2024, 04:43 AM   #4
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
(Me nodding)

Could be right….

Of course, the current gen doesn’t work for many wrists. I have seen some black dial 16570’s for some great deals. You are going with a watch that may potentially need immediate servicing though.
Yeah I was referring to the 216 series rather than the 165s. If you shop in places that live in reality when it comes to the current market, you can find some excellent prices on 216s. You're getting date and GMT functionality at a price that is a relative "bargain" for modern Rolex sports models. As you said, however, the 42s are fairly large watches with big dials.
Old 11 September 2024, 05:10 AM   #5
swexlin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
First Off…

I KNOW. The AirKing is a polarizing model. It’s busy and unconventional. It’s a race car inspired watch with an aviation moniker.

However, If it’s your jam, I think the predecessor to the current 126900 may constitute one of the best values out there in the used market.

For prices in the mid to high sixes, you can get a like new condition 116900. Is the 126 objectively better? Sure, I think so too. But there’s not that much difference. Crown guards, an improved (symmetrical) 05 marker, marginal lume, and a few other things. The watches are very similar.

However, if you’ve always wanted to have a playful Rolex that looks great on an aftermarket strap as well as oyster and are budget conscious, this may be the way to go! With some mild negotiating, you are about $1500 under the after tax price of a new 126900 with no wait.
I already own one (bought grey 4 years ago). Even then, grey, was just a smidge over retail, so yes this is an excellent value.
swexlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2024, 06:12 AM   #6
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
Yeah I was referring to the 216 series rather than the 165s. If you shop in places that live in reality when it comes to the current market, you can find some excellent prices on 216s. You're getting date and GMT functionality at a price that is a relative "bargain" for modern Rolex sports models. As you said, however, the 42s are fairly large watches with big dials.
I just went through this exact thing. Yes, the 216 reference explorer 2 is probably the Best value for what it has. The issue is the size. Doesn’t work for everyone. If it does, great. I had to trade mine for a new OP 41 because it was just too big.
sportsfan0704 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2024, 06:39 AM   #7
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
I just went through this exact thing. Yes, the 216 reference explorer 2 is probably the Best value for what it has. The issue is the size. Doesn’t work for everyone. If it does, great. I had to trade mine for a new OP 41 because it was just too big.
Yeah, I've thought hard about potentially adding the newest gen polar Exp II. I've read from some that the slight tweaks in case and bracelet design from the 216 to 226 series make the 42 fit a bit better. However I'm still concerned I'd ultimately be unsatisfied with the size. It's a really attractive value proposition though.
Old 11 September 2024, 08:02 AM   #8
horseco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116528
39mm explorer mk2 dial is by far and away the best value in modern Rolex. iIMO
horseco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2024, 08:21 AM   #9
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by swexlin View Post
I already own one (bought grey 4 years ago). Even then, grey, was just a smidge over retail, so yes this is an excellent value.
It was my first Rolex and I was lucky enough to get MSRP from B&M full set in 2019. Right after I purchased it, everything went nuts with Rolex. You can still find one for a little over MSRP from grey full set and IMO it's a good watch for the money. It's not for everyone, but I love mines.
JoseR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2024, 07:27 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
First Off…

The best pre-owned value Rolex is the one you want to own and wear irrespective of model or perceived value.The Airking is a great watch with a lot of history its one of the longest Rolex production runs since started in the 1940s

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2024, 08:32 PM   #11
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Yes it is. You get a lovely watch made with the same movement, same quality and same level of finishing for a fraction of the price.
Old 11 September 2024, 08:51 PM   #12
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: SEIKO TUNA
Quote:
First Off…

This, plus the leftover/recycled Milgauss case and Explorer 39 MKI 3/6/9 kinda kill it for me.
Old 11 September 2024, 09:06 PM   #13
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Great value IMO.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2024, 09:39 PM   #14
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Might be. I just can't make it work for me. Tried one on again at my AD the other day. When this was released someone said it looked like Rolex threw up on the dial. I can't get that one out of my head when I look at the AK. And they may have been right.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2024, 10:10 PM   #15
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Might be. I just can't make it work for me. Tried one on again at my AD the other day. When this was released someone said it looked like Rolex threw up on the dial. I can't get that one out of my head when I look at the AK. And they may have been right.
You could say the same for dials like the celebration,but hype has made them the greatest thing since sliced bread.Now if the Airking was hyped the same then that would be the best thing since sliced bread hype sells Rolex watches today as many buy the hype to wear it.But must admit much prefer the old dial versions of the Airking.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 12:46 AM   #16
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Actually currently, the best preowned value for the shorter term is the Daytona Rolex Rainbow gemsets in multiple variants. Very limited in number already. So, can actually be considered an "investment".

The first of its kind and possibly piece unique 16599 rainbow is coming to market in November. It is expected to set the market for gemset (rainbow). Estimates are at $3m. However, multiple dealers are estimating this watch to get to $7m at auction. Last year's gemset 4 digit daytona auction was rumored to be purchased by Rolex itself for $4.12m. (https://www.phillips.com/detail/rolex/CH080123/102)

If the 16599 gets $3m-7m, it will set a market value much higher than any previous rainbow gemsets. So all Daytona Rolex Rainbow gemsets are presumed to be great preowned values at its current market price.

If you don't like gemsets because they seem too gaudy to you, that's okay. Just remember the 49ers kicker was shot for a plain 41mm smooth bezel datejust. the various robberies being reported in London with stabbings assaults have been on plain jane nautilus, aquanaut, etc. Not on gemsets. So the tables have turned on gaudiness actually. Thanks social media. In the last 5 years, even the robbers have learned how bust down diamonds reduce the value of the watch.

Quote:
First Off…

SLWoodster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 01:23 AM   #17
CaptT

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseco View Post
39mm explorer mk2 dial is by far and away the best value in modern Rolex. iIMO
I tend to agree on the mk2 Exp, and the 5 digit Exp2s as well.

Quote:
First Off…

The 116900 and 126900 are actually more different than some of the specs/features might suggest. Add in the flip lock clasp, the slimmer case, and crown guards as you mention and the 126900 has a substantially different look and feel as a sports watch (*to this crowd, not the general public of course). The new Air-King is worth the premium over the 116900 in my perspective, and relative to many other models, great value.
CaptT is offline   Reply With Quote