The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 March 2007, 01:17 PM   #1
bmackinlay
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18K Pres.DD 118238
Icon20 Rolex Yachtmaster 18K YG White Dial New Z

I am a new piece of meat so be gentle!! I need advice, I'm in the process of trading my 1993 18K YG Submariner with a Diamond Champagne Dial 16618 N series.I'm a old Guy (70) so it is like new. What is this Sub worth on a trade. Secondly are the center links on the new Yachtmaster bracelet solid instead of hollow as the older modles are.My deal is $ 22550.00 MSRP less $6000.00 Discount = $ 16550.00 What can I ask for my Submariner? Hayman4353
bmackinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 10:16 AM   #2
bmackinlay
"TRF" Member

Why can't I get one reply to my Post? Hayman4353
Old 3 April 2007, 12:11 PM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmackinlay@earthlink View Post
I am a new piece of meat so be gentle!! I need advice, I'm in the process of trading my 1993 18K YG Submariner with a Diamond Champagne Dial 16618 N series.I'm a old Guy (70) so it is like new. What is this Sub worth on a trade. Secondly are the center links on the new Yachtmaster bracelet solid instead of hollow as the older modles are.My deal is $ 22550.00 MSRP less $6000.00 Discount = $ 16550.00 What can I ask for my Submariner? Hayman4353
Hi Hayman,

Welcome to TRF. Sorry, I just saw this post of yours. Of course, you have a right to receive a reply to your post and I think you also have a right to be a bit pissed if no one's bothered yet!!

I don't think I can help you much on the financial side of things (someone else should be along shortly to sort that out), but to answer some of your other questions.....

The SS/Pt. YM has a steel Oysterlock bracelet with all solid links, including the centre ones which are solid and polished.

The TT YMs have hollow gold centre links.

The YG YMs have all solid gold links.

I hope somebody else comes along to help you with the rest.

Good luck and do keep us updated.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 12:14 PM   #4
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Yea, sorry for the lack of replies. I would have replied but I know so little about Rolex (learning alot here though) that I would not have been any help. Welcome to the forum though!
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 12:27 PM   #5
syahriltaher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
Hi Hayman,

From the website of preowned watch dealer we can know that a preowned 18kYG Submariner would cost about USD 12k - USD 13k. So if there is a 25% margin for the seller (normal margin for the seller), we can say the seller buys that watch from previous owner for about USD 9k.

But once again, it's only my rough estimation...

Regards,
- Rolex RG Daytona 116505 - Rolex SS Submariner "Hulk" - Rolex SS Sky Dweller "Black Dial" - Rolex SS GMT Master II 16710 "Coke" - Rolex GMT Master II CHNR "Rootbeer" TT - Rolex SS Daytona Ceramic 116500LN "Black Dial" - Rolex 126710 "New Batman" 2022 - Rolex SS/WG Datejust 41 126334 "Blue Roman" - Panerai "PAM 88" GMT - Omega New Moonwatch 3861
syahriltaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 01:05 PM   #6
OysterDavid
Banned

Trade in Value

Unfortunately, there's no 'price guide' or 'blue book' equivilant for Rolex watches. You can spend some time on the internet looking at the Pre-Owned dealers and try and find your watch and see what they're asking for one and you can look at the internet gray dealers and see what they're asking for 'new' gray, but when all is said and done, your watch is worth what someone else will pay for it.

And the estimate of worth doesn't mean squat if there's no one willing to pay that price on the day you decide to sell.

You can ask if your Rolex dealer takes trades and get an estimate. Then if you want to go to the time and trouble, you can mark it up a bit and see if it sells on a place like this forum's for sale page. There are a couple of consignment people who make themselves available on the internet. But much like a used car, selling it will take up some of your resources and then you'll have to be careful about receiving proper funds and not getting ripped off with a forged cashier's check.

Another idea is to see if a jeweler knows of someone who's interested and then pay a finders fee. Or maybe you've got a younger relative who'd be interested in catching Rolex fever. And finally, if you'd like to send me an email, I'll be happy to give you my name and address and you can let me borrow your watch for a while. I'll promise to take VERY good care of it while on loan.

I hope you find at least some of these ideas helpful.

Good Luck.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2007, 12:37 AM   #7
bmackinlay
"TRF" Member

Appreciate the come-backs,I have made a purchase of a YM Model 16628W 18K White Dial model SN Z---- . Dealer wanted $8800 and my Sub, we negoiated to $ 8400. and my watch. MSRP $22500, Less a $6000, off invoice $16500 less my Sub $8100 = $8400 difference.My Sub was a N---- SN or 1992/93. Did I get hosed? Hayman4353
Old 4 April 2007, 01:10 AM   #8
mic6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116718 green
Quote:
Appreciate the come-backs,I have made a purchase of a YM Model 16628W 18K White Dial model SN Z---- . Dealer wanted $8800 and my Sub, we negoiated to $ 8400. and my watch. MSRP $22500, Less a $6000, off invoice $16500 less my Sub $8100 = $8400 difference.My Sub was a N---- SN or 1992/93. Did I get hosed? Hayman4353
$8100 was not enough money for your sub especially if it was in good condition as you said. He will now sell it for around $12000..
But don't worry so much..life is too short just enjoy your new beauty
mic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2007, 02:07 AM   #9
puffnmo

Hayman - First of all, welcome! Next order of business, yr. not an old guy, because 70 is the new 50!!!

Re the trade - Any time I've traded a watch with a dealer I know for a fact I got hosed. Never mind - this is an expensive hobby. Main thing is that you love your new YM! Cheers, Larry.
puffnmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2007, 02:14 AM   #10
OysterDavid
Banned

No regrets

Quote:
For what it's worth, I think you did just fine. You negotiated what I consider to be a fine discount on the new purchase and the dealer gave you a substantial amount for your trade, and now you've got a timepiece that gives you what you're looking for.

To ask a dealer to give you a trade amount where they cannot make a profit isn't realistic. Now it isn't your problem as to how and to whom to sell and collect and worry about a dissatisfied buyer who doesn't like the 'ticking' sound coming from your old watch and besides the gold doesn't glitter like it should, and so on and so on....

Enjoy your new watch.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2007, 04:44 AM   #11
pcarson

Watch: 16610 Sub Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterDavid View Post
For what it's worth, I think you did just fine. You negotiated what I consider to be a fine discount on the new purchase and the dealer gave you a substantial amount for your trade, and now you've got a timepiece that gives you what you're looking for.

To ask a dealer to give you a trade amount where they cannot make a profit isn't realistic. Now it isn't your problem as to how and to whom to sell and collect and worry about a dissatisfied buyer who doesn't like the 'ticking' sound coming from your old watch and besides the gold doesn't glitter like it should, and so on and so on....

Enjoy your new watch.
I'm with OysterDavid. I just checked out some reputable Australian "pre-owned" sites to get a local feel for this trade, and I think it's a fair deal; definitely not hosed. If you get a great deal in this neck of the woods, then there's usually something wrong.

That said, JJ got a steal for an SD a few weeks ago but he has access to strange and secret means which are the subject of much debate. We think it's that he's a really great guy and his AD probably appreciates that, but we don't all have that ability to build relationships with our ADs and there's only one JJ.

I'd kill for your new watch, but failing assassination as a means of getting it, I'd part with that money. As someone else said, this is not a cheap hobby and the dollars just have to be secondary to the confidence you have in the dealer and your fondness for the watch. In your case, I'd do that deal tomorrow.

In closing, you might want to check out Jackson's thread about his LV on eBay to see what happens when you go bargain hunting (no offence intended Jackson)! Forget the price unless it's a fake, true fraud, extortionate pricing or a "closing down sale". Aside that, enjoy your new watch and wear it in good health.
pcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2007, 05:23 AM   #12
WES

Watch: Rolex
First, Welcome to the forum, next I agree with OysterDavid and pcarson, all things considered you did OK, now it's time to enjoy your new watch We're all hoping you'll be posting a few pics of your new prize! They have all these little "clubs" around here, the TT Blue Sub Club and the SD 4000Ft Club and so on, you and I will have to start one, the 18K YM White Face Club and see how many members we can gather Again, enjoy your new watch! Here's a few pic of my gold Yachty
WES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2007, 05:54 AM   #13
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
As they say He Who Wears Gold Makes the Rules
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2007, 07:23 AM   #14
bmackinlay
"TRF" Member

Really enjoyed all of your comments,I feel I got a fair deal and am happy with it. I will post some pics as sonn as I get my camera back from my daughter. Hayman4353 Remember :" If you rest you rust"