The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 April 2007, 04:24 PM   #1
kings4sap
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Rolex Baselword Tease....

I metioned this in another post a few minutes ago but I was just on the Rolex site. There is a new teaser page about Baselworld that comes up when you click "collection". A gold "10" on a blue faced gold bezel. All it says is that it "arrives at Baselworld April 12....".

Interesting.....

I am thinking new ceramic bezel on all gold or TT subs.

Sorry if this is a repeat topic.

K4S
kings4sap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2007, 05:11 PM   #2
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

Ok
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2007, 08:35 PM   #3
Lol-x
Facilitator

I can't see it, is this a joke?
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2007, 09:55 PM   #4
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
I hope not!!! A TT BLue with a Ceramic Bezel will cause JJ to go Nuts!!! And empty his bank account. His family will be digging through the garbage for months looking for scraps of food to eat!
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2007, 09:57 PM   #5
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
TT BLue with a Ceramic Bezel where! I must have it! I can't live without it!
Old 3 April 2007, 01:03 AM   #6
kings4sap
"TRF" Member

Guys - read the other thread that is running. There is a good screen capture on what I was talking about.

K4S

p.s. - It is NO JOKE!!!! - Unless Rolex was April Folling all of us!
Old 3 April 2007, 02:37 AM   #7
kenlperry
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 19018
I saw it this morning as well and it's supposed to be presented at BASELWORLD on 4/12/07. But looking at the picture I'm not so sure it's a Sub at all. The font is different, more like that on the GMT2 and it's missing the hash marks that would be present near the number 10 on all previous Sub bezels.. I guess we'll see soon enough though. Could Rolex have pulled a blue bezel for the GMT2 out of their bag of tricks?? Hmmmm!
kenlperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 02:52 AM   #8
HK33
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlperry View Post
I saw it this morning as well and it's supposed to be presented at BASELWORLD on 4/12/07. But looking at the picture I'm not so sure it's a Sub at all. The font is different, more like that on the GMT2 and it's missing the hash marks that would be present near the number 10 on all previous Sub bezels.. I guess we'll see soon enough though. Could Rolex have pulled a blue bezel for the GMT2 out of their bag of tricks?? Hmmmm!
I would say NO this is definitely not a GMT. Notice the water droplets in the picture. That would make absolutely no sense unless Rolex was just trying to trick everyone.

Second the font on the 10 in the picture is definitely different than the 10 on my TT GMT it is substantially smaller and the zero is more square rather than curved.
HK33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 02:52 AM   #9
HK33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlperry View Post
I would say NO this is definitely not a GMT. Notice the water droplets in the picture. That would make absolutely no sense unless Rolex was just trying to trick everyone.

Second the font on the 10 in the picture is definitely different than the 10 on my TT GMT it is substantially smaller and the zero is more square rather than curved.
Old 3 April 2007, 03:05 AM   #10
kenlperry
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 19018
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK33 View Post

I would have to agree with you regarding the water droplets.. I totally hadn't thought about that. But the font for the number 10, looks pretty similar to the number 10 on the new Gold GMT II Anniversary pictured on rolex.com. Granted the font and style of the numbers on the bezel of the GMT2's have been changed from the previous GMT2, so it's very possible that they are changing the font on the new Sub too. But did they remove the hash marks also? I guess anything is possible.....
kenlperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 03:23 AM   #11
mike
"TRF" Member

Well,....for what it's worth, someone on another forum did some dective work. By looking at the website properties and CSS info (image information, etc.. in HTML) it's listed as a GMT photo.....for what it's worth.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 03:33 AM   #12
HK33
"TRF" Member

To me it appears that there is more space from both the top and the bottom of the numbers to the top and bottom of the bezel compared to the numbers of the Ceramic Bezel of the GMT, which is why I think the numbers are smaller

If I had bet my wager would be that this is an all gold blue sub.
Old 3 April 2007, 03:34 AM   #13
HK33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Well,....for what it's worth, someone on another forum did some dective work. By looking at the website properties and CSS info (image information, etc.. in HTML) it's listed as a GMT photo.....for what it's worth.
I read that post but I still think it is a sub.
Old 3 April 2007, 03:58 AM   #14
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK33 View Post
I read that post but I still think it is a sub.
Yeah,..It would seem. Although not without precedent, the seeming lack of hash marks is interesting (Rolex did this on certain military versions). Seems to speak futher to the direction Rolex has taken toward luxury--makes sence on a gold watch.
It'll be interesting to see what other changes, references are affected..if any.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 05:50 AM   #15
Ironstark
TechXpert

Watch: SS/W Skydweller
It may well be simply a countdown to Basel. 10 days to go.
See if it changes to 9 tomorrow!
Looking at it closely the numbers are straight, they do not follow the curve of the bezel as they would if it was a picture of a real bezel and not a photoshop type image.
Ironstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 07:11 AM   #16
FastBurner

Watch: Aquanaut/AK/PAM000
Also, on a current GMT, the number 10 is in the red. I would assume it is a TT Blue sub. Why would they mix gold with read and blue? I don't think that would look right. Just my opinion.
FastBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 07:46 AM   #17
D4UK
Banned

Watch: TT SUB LV GMTII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironstark View Post
Looking at it closely the numbers are straight, they do not follow the curve of the bezel as they would if it was a picture of a real bezel and not a photoshop type image.
I'm with this suggestion...
Looking again yes numbers don't seem to curve as you would expect...
plus Ironstark is more likely to know more than us (with his inside knowledge)

The rumours are getting widler by the day - today I heard someone mention that they'd heard the Seadweller was getting a red bezel!
D4UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 08:16 AM   #18
D4UK
Banned

Watch: TT SUB LV GMTII
just posted this pic on the other thread... thought i'd had it here too...

out of interest... can anyone visit Baselworld?? I know it;s technically trade only.. but presumably if you were to turn up and buy a ticket you could get in.. that being the case is it worth a visit??
D4UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 09:52 AM   #19
SeanL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4UK View Post
out of interest... can anyone visit Baselworld?? I know it;s technically trade only.. but presumably if you were to turn up and buy a ticket you could get in.. that being the case is it worth a visit??
Baselworld is open to the public. It's the SIHH in Geneva a week later that is "Industry Insiders and invited guests only".
SeanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 12:09 PM   #20
Lol-x
Facilitator

Thanks Andy for the photo.
Well it looks like a ceramic bezel and it is either on a solid yellow gold or TT sports model going by the gold bezel numbers and gold bezel ring. The water droplets may suggest a water related model. So my guess would be a solid gold maxi dial Submariner as Sea-Dwellers only come in stainless. Rolex tends to release the solid 18K model first.
Old 3 April 2007, 12:13 PM   #21
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Thanks Andy for the photo.
Well it looks like a ceramic bezel and it is either on a solid yellow gold or TT sports model going by the gold bezel numbers and gold bezel ring. The water droplets may suggest a water related model. So my guess would be a solid gold maxi dial Submariner as Sea-Dwellers only come in stainless. Rolex tends to release the solid 18K model first.
I think you could be pretty spot-on with all of your assumptions, Steve!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 12:20 PM   #22
Lol-x
Facilitator

Thanks JJ but I hope I am not disappointed with my hope that Rolex release a solid stainless steel GMTII. That would be a real kick in the guts if they skipped a revision of the stainless steel GMT until after they go through the next few years of releasing solid gold and TT revisions. :(
Old 3 April 2007, 12:32 PM   #23
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Thanks JJ but I hope I am not disappointed with my hope that Rolex release a solid stainless steel GMTII. That would be a real kick in the guts if they skipped a revision of the stainless steel GMT until after they go through the next few years of releasing solid gold and TT revisions. :(
I honestly don't think we are going to see an SS Anniversary GMT-II for a very long time to come. I've been saying this all along, but a lot of guys here have built up their hopes about it.

Gold and steel/gold seems to be more on the agenda for new things to come!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 02:18 PM   #24
Lol-x
Facilitator

I think I was wrong on the 18K gold Sub prediction. The style of the 10 without the minute markers on the bezel, just doesn't seem like a sub at all, but more like a GMT font and style of bezel.
Maybe the blue bezel with the gold lettering isn't a new model at all, it might just be a blue/red GMT bezel to fit on the existing 18k and TT GMT's that have been released in the last 2 years with factory black ceramic bezels. I mean blue/red is the traditional GMT bezel, and maybe this is just a new bezel option.
Old 3 April 2007, 02:29 PM   #25
ian.thomas
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Maybe the blue bezel with the gold lettering isn't a new model at all, it might just be a blue/red GMT bezel to fit on the existing 18k and TT GMT's .....
Hummmmmm...........you might be on to something there. Very interesting............very.........interesting.
ian.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 02:31 PM   #26
teton
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS DJ Oyster band
I am leaning towards a new all gold Sub wth all the upgrades from the 50 GMT II. I just don't think it an be anything less or anything more than a model upgrade.

I also think in the long run all Rolex watches will be made of either gold or platinum. I think their prices have gone up to a certain point that it just makes no sense to carry steel models around, probably a few more price hikes and we'll get there.
teton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 02:33 PM   #27
HK33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironstark View Post
Ironstark must be right (surprise) there is a 9 on the bezel now.
Old 3 April 2007, 02:51 PM   #28
bwalkerVintage
Banned

Wow, Rolex is really trying to stir up some interest. I bet they are going to have something big in store for everyone.
bwalkerVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 02:58 PM   #29
kings4sap
"TRF" Member

Yep - there is a 9. That being said - I still think that it is a tease preview of a new style to be announced at the show - in 9 days. My vote - a ceramic bezeled TT and all gold sub.

K4S
Old 3 April 2007, 02:59 PM   #30
Lol-x
Facilitator

Well that blue 9 just shot all my guesses down in flames. If it was a red/blue GMT bezel it would not have a "9" mark at all. Also the "10" would have been on a red insert. So I give up. 9 days to go!