The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 April 2007, 04:18 AM   #1
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
SD waterproof rating of 4000 ft. WHY?

Okay guys,

Here are a few obvious questions coming your way...please answer them as best you can. Thanks!!

1. What is the maximum depth a professional trained diver can go down to with the usual breathing apparatus, but only wearing a normal dive suit?

2. What is the maximum depth a professional trained diver can go down to with a special extra thick diving suit and the huge metal helmet on top?

3. Whatever the depth, I'm pretty sure no human being on earth can get anywhere even close to 4,000 ft without being crushed like a tin can. So why this enormous depth rating on the SD when it can never be actually WORN by any man to that depth?

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 04:23 AM   #2
cbrenthus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my second hand
Well, seeing as how you didn't specify that the diver needed to return alive, I would say the answer to #1 and #2 is ~36000 feet (the Challenger Deep; the deepest part of the ocean)

Therefore the answer to #3 is "That's the best Rolex can do!

Seriously, I don't really know.
cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 04:23 AM   #3
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
In case you are diving and it slips off of your wrist. Then if some oceanographers are looking for parts of the Titanic or something with a remote controlled robot sub and if they find it on the ocean bottom and can retrieve it they have a functioning watch.

Last edited by Gaijin; 3 April 2007 at 08:27 AM..
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 04:29 AM   #4
madformac
"TRF" Member

I think we are looking at this the wrong way.

The SD can withstand the pressure to 4000ft but what we need to ask is can it withstand the pressure of being on JJ's wrist?

Its only a matter of time before it becomes worried about heading on down to flipper land...
madformac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 04:31 AM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Okay, you tossers, you've had your laughs (as usual)....now how about some serious answers?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 3 April 2007, 04:34 AM   #6
mike
"TRF" Member

Pffft! A measly 4000 ft.! Get a real watch and then talk to me!
If only I could get it under a shirt cuff.

mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 04:40 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Pffft! A measly 4000 ft.! Get a real watch and then talk to me!
If only I could get it under a shirt cuff.

You too, Mike? At least I expected a serious reply from you!!

Old 3 April 2007, 04:48 AM   #8
worktolivelife
"TRF" Member

I'd actually be interested in any knowledgeable replies,did Rolex create this tool watch specifically to meet specs for this depth rating, or did they "just" produce it then tested it till it blew-up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,

steve
Old 3 April 2007, 04:49 AM   #9
worktolivelife
"TRF" Member

well crushed actually i guess
Old 3 April 2007, 04:50 AM   #10
worktolivelife
"TRF" Member

imploded you get the picture
Old 3 April 2007, 04:52 AM   #11
worktolivelife
"TRF" Member

HE valve would save it does that become ineffective below 4000ft
Old 3 April 2007, 04:55 AM   #12
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by worktolivelife View Post
HE valve would save it does that become ineffective below 4000ft
The He valve is useless and ineffective in water. It's only designed to release the excess He gas that the diver breathes when confined inside a diving bell or a bathyscape. The He gas is very microscopic in size and can get into the watch and blow out the crystal with excess pressure.

But you fellas are missing the whole point of this thread. My question is why have a watch which can take all the pressures of 4000 ft. when the person wearing it CANNOT!!!!!!

Old 3 April 2007, 04:57 AM   #13
worktolivelife
"TRF" Member

one more of my thoughts, its just the waterproof rating right so is the actual watch effected in a dry enviroment pressure chamber etc
Old 3 April 2007, 05:06 AM   #14
cbrenthus
"TRF" Member

Found these to be interesting:

http://www.themercury.co.za/index.ph...icleId=2555327

http://www.mediacen.navy.mil/pubs/al...jun00/pg14.htm
Old 3 April 2007, 05:11 AM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrenthus View Post
Thanks, my friend....very interesting links....especially the second one. Would need the SD for that one...and still have 2000 ft. to spare.

Cheers - JJ

Old 3 April 2007, 05:46 AM   #16
mike
"TRF" Member

Ok, I'm not a diver so I have to defer to those that are, but my guess (and it's only that) is the depth rating was an out growth of the improved HE valve that came out on the reference 16660. This, along with the thicker case and saphire crystal led to the greater depth rating.

Lot's of information here under COMEX,

http://www.doubleredseadweller.com/
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 05:53 AM   #17
langejl

Very interesting. I was thinking the samething about the rating. Guess it is for the brag'ing rights.
langejl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 06:00 AM   #18
Russel

Watch: Submariner, GMT II
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Okay guys,

Here are a few obvious questions coming your way...please answer them as best you can. Thanks!!

1. What is the maximum depth a professional trained diver can go down to with the usual breathing apparatus, but only wearing a normal dive suit?

2. What is the maximum depth a professional trained diver can go down to with a special extra thick diving suit and the huge metal helmet on top?

3. Whatever the depth, I'm pretty sure no human being on earth can get anywhere even close to 4,000 ft without being crushed like a tin can. So why this enormous depth rating on the SD when it can never be actually WORN by any man to that depth?

Cheers - JJ
A couple of thoughts...

The first, in my opinion, is that Rolex makes a watch with that rating because people want it, or like it. Yes JJ, that means you! (and Me!)

Second thought: The rating is for 4,000 ft static water pressure. I wonder what pressure the seals may see if diving into water head first from 20ft? Or taking a spill water sking?
Russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 06:05 AM   #19
Russel

Watch: Submariner, GMT II
Quote:
... So why this enormous depth rating on the SD when it can never be actually WORN by any man to that depth?...
Well, that's not entirely true, I would say why this enormous depth rating on the SD when it can never be actually WORN by any man _alive_ to that depth?...

Russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 06:12 AM   #20
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russel View Post
Second thought: The rating is for 4,000 ft static water pressure. I wonder what pressure the seals may see if diving into water head first from 20ft? Or taking a spill water sking?
I don't think that really matters with the SD. I'm pretty sure that if the SD were somehow strapped onto a deep diving submersible and plunged straight down to 4000 feet, nothing would happen to the watch.

In fact, someone once posted an interesting thread with fantastic pics of an SD actually undergoing this treatment....and coming back up in full working order!!

Old 3 April 2007, 08:38 AM   #21
sevykor
"TRF" Member

So that Rolex can say they "did it". How many other watch brands can make that claim and prove it. Kind of like swimming the English Channel one cold October 7th day in 1927 and proving Rolex superiority(myth or fact???). Yeh babe, Who's you Daddy!
sevykor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 10:26 AM   #22
jackson

Quote:
The He valve is useless and ineffective in water. It's only designed to release the excess He gas that the diver breathes when confined inside a diving bell or a bathyscape. The He gas is very microscopic in size and can get into the watch and blow out the crystal with excess pressure.

But you fellas are missing the whole point of this thread. My question is why have a watch which can take all the pressures of 4000 ft. when the person wearing it CANNOT!!!!!!
I suppose that is a marketing ploy? with real good qualities that we will have no need for.
jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 10:40 AM   #23
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
Between the SD and the IWC, I am still wanting that IWC aquatimer, with 2000m rating.

http://www.time2watch.net/IWChome.htm

Not that I will ever go beyond 50M, but for the gimmick factor.
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 10:53 AM   #24
Ragu
"TRF" Member

Watch: the Sauce ;)
JJ,
I don't think you'll have to worry too much if your SD will survive a 4K' dive my friend.

First thing you'll have to do is learn to "swim" without the use of your "water wings".

Then you'll be able to go deeper than your 2 foot inflatable above ground backyard pool.

Proud Member #2391
Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 11:59 AM   #25
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Why the rating to 4000 ft....so they can charge more for it.

...and the plan seems to be working doesnt it.
Flyjet601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 11:59 AM   #26
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
AS for ratings, how about the GP SeaHawk Pro rated to 3000meters!

I do know that about the deepest recreational dive I ever did was about 150 feet deep. Anything over 90 feet is considered a "Deep" dive.

One of the guys I worked with was a diver in the Navy and then later a commercial diver. The deepest he ever went was 350 feet. That was in a special suit and breathing some weird gas mixture.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2007, 12:03 PM   #27
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragu View Post
JJ,
I don't think you'll have to worry too much if your SD will survive a 4K' dive my friend.

First thing you'll have to do is learn to "swim" without the use of your "water wings".

Then you'll be able to go deeper than your 2 foot inflatable above ground backyard pool.
Ragu....you're a bloody tosser!!

Old 3 April 2007, 12:07 PM   #28
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
I think the reason for the 4000' depth rating is for that special someone who may find themselves suddenly wearing cement block shoes and being thrown overboard.
Old 3 April 2007, 12:19 PM   #29
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nko51 View Post
I think the reason for the 4000' depth rating is for that special someone who may find themselves suddenly wearing cement block shoes and being thrown overboard.
Provided the "hoods" who throw him overboard still have the grace to allow him to keep his SD on!!!

Old 3 April 2007, 12:24 PM   #30
cbrenthus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Provided the "hoods" who throw him overboard still have the grace to allow him to keep his SD on!!!

Oh come on! Like anyone who would get thrown overboard wearing cement shoes would ever be seen wearing a watch with any stainless steel in it. Now if the SD cam in YG, that would be another matter!