The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 October 2024, 01:08 AM   #1
casadecamporolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
Which Mom and Pop AD gets the letter next?

Just visited Saratoga Springs, NY-small town famous for the race course.
On the tiny Main Street sits an old school jewelry store, Fox Jewelers; they are the prototype of the soon to be extinct AD….family business built on quality and service. I used to deal with 3 ADs just like them.
Nice people, but definitely not the current vibe required. They remind me of the way stores were. These type retailers must hold their breath every time a letter comes from RolexUSA.
casadecamporolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2024, 01:12 AM   #2
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Or they get the letter and think “oh well. At least we don’t have to deal with difficult entitled customers whining about allocations and lists anymore”
Old 13 October 2024, 01:34 AM   #3
mailman
TRF Moderator & SUBMARINER 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by casadecamporolex View Post
Just visited Saratoga Springs, NY-small town famous for the race course.
On the tiny Main Street sits an old school jewelry store, Fox Jewelers; they are the prototype of the soon to be extinct AD….family business built on quality and service. I used to deal with 3 ADs just like them.
Nice people, but definitely not the current vibe required. They remind me of the way stores were. These type retailers must hold their breath every time a letter comes from RolexUSA.
Wonderful store and employees in a great town no matter what time of year you visit.
Old 13 October 2024, 01:54 AM   #4
Max7857
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AK EXP II SeaQ
Unfortunately Martin Binder in Valparaiso, IN just lost Rolex after 58 Years. September 30th was the last day. They were awesome to deal with and will be greatly missed. Doubt there will be anymore Rolex at retail for me. I haven’t the energy to start on a new relationship from the ground up. Plus I would not be willing to buy jewelry from a different jeweler. Matin Binder earned my trust on the jewelry and would not be fair to take that business elsewhere just because Rolex abandoned them.
Max7857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2024, 10:20 PM   #5
Redfoot
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR 126710
I am shocked Medawar in Fenton, MI is still an AD.

They have three stores, but only one carries Rolex. Small display area, and the store is in a strip mall just south of Flint, MI.

Really nice folks, but surprising they still carry Rolex.
Redfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2024, 10:36 PM   #6
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
Or they get the letter and think “oh well. At least we don’t have to deal with difficult entitled customers whining about allocations and lists anymore”

Or they just lost their ability to move high margin items like diamonds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2024, 10:39 PM   #7
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
I think it’s sad when a long time relationship ends like this. Esp for high priced items that people may want to touch and feel prior to buying. Whether they go back to smaller jewelers depends on how badly demand wanes.

Because it is undeniable that the territorial footprint is smaller with less retail locations. Rolex has more than 1.2m watches to sell. Then with new facility, potentially even more. They could also begin to test online sales as well or truly move Tudor into the previous Rolex position by selling them through jewelers. They could also go back to selling through smaller jewelers but merchandise their products for the region, client type, price point, color, etc…

Don’t know. But I hope demand wanes drastically so they get their act right.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2024, 10:40 PM   #8
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It’s sad to see retailers like this go. I had a great little AD close by. I could pop in any time to chat with the owner who was always welcoming, friendly and chat watches or just anything.

I get the new direction etc etc, but it still saddens me to see these mom and pop stores slowly getting phased out for larger stores.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2024, 10:41 PM   #9
Porscheconvert
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Pepsi
What causes Rolex to remove a jeweler AD status?
Porscheconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2024, 11:24 PM   #10
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscheconvert View Post
All sorts of reasons, most of which are not disclosed, and it varies on a case by case basis. I suppose it is possible that some ADs get a termination notice out of the blue but it is unlikely that it happens without prior discussion and periods of notice being given. Some ADs may wish to terminate it on their side.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2024, 11:59 PM   #11
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Location, unwillingness to convert their store to Rolex standards and low revenue.
Old 15 October 2024, 12:20 AM   #12
casadecamporolex
"TRF" Member

Only #1 reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
All sorts of reasons, most of which are not disclosed, and it varies on a case by case basis. I suppose it is possible that some ADs get a termination notice out of the blue but it is unlikely that it happens without prior discussion and periods of notice being given. Some ADs may wish to terminate it on their side.
The AD is not big enough.
Old 15 October 2024, 01:17 AM   #13
Porscheconvert
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Pepsi
Interesting…

If no ADs can keep any watches in stock, how would it be a low revenue problem? Would rolex care what the jeweler revenues are in addition to Rolex? If so, why?

What other standards are there?

I’m not in that business, but I gotta believe the notion of having empty watch cases is embarrassing to Rolex and detrimental to the brand. Could it just be as simple as location? They need 1/4 the total dealers they once did.
Porscheconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2024, 01:19 AM   #14
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
It’s sad to see good old fashioned businesses get forced under
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2024, 02:49 AM   #15
cdmorenot

Watch: = Want them all.
Location, location, location...

Actually I have no idea what Rolex's basis for cancelling AD status is but the three that I am familiar with and purchased from at some point have a few things in common such as poor location with a demographic that changed drastically.

Michael Anthony - Wayne NJ - Willowbrook Mall - Across from the food court, small space, surrounded by towns that went to crap.

D'Amore - Cliffside Park NJ - No parking, main street jeweler, beautiful store that used to also carry Patek. Walking out of the store, Bodega right across the street.

Morre Lyons - Clifton NJ - Next to a Chinese Restaurant and liquor store in a subprime strip mall. Nestled around a good area of town and two really crappy towns.
Old 15 October 2024, 02:57 AM   #16
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Seems like end of an era.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2024, 03:05 AM   #17
casadecamporolex
"TRF" Member

A little known fact from my extinct AD. Although he had paid for the buildout when the “Store in store" was the concept, the contract stated that the total construction price would be rebated if the relationship ended within a five year window. In year five, it was a mere 10% returned.
These type stores no longer are their footprint.
And as my extinct AD fine jeweler said his bottom line ROI is better, no more dictating of Rolex edicts or surprise unwanted watches and, most important, no more hassles of dealing with the dozens of reach outs and flippers. They disappointed many clients; not a good long term strategy.
Old 15 October 2024, 03:48 AM   #18
horseco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116528
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmorenot View Post

Michael Anthony - Wayne NJ - Willowbrook Mall - Across from the food court, small space, surrounded by towns that went to crap.

D'Amore - Cliffside Park NJ - No parking, main street jeweler, beautiful store that used to also carry Patek. Walking out of the store, Bodega right across the street.

Morre Lyons - Clifton NJ - Next to a Chinese Restaurant and liquor store in a subprime strip mall. Nestled around a good area of town and two really crappy towns.
WAY BACK WHEN
I was offered 10% off as a walk in at Morre Lyons
I purchased a TT blusey at D'Amore for 25% off new & was offered 30% of PM
I bet this may have had a hand in it as well.
horseco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2024, 04:47 AM   #19
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Location, unwillingness to convert their store to Rolex standards and low revenue.
Rolex very commonly cuts off ADs right after they've finished spending a fortune building a dedicated Rolex store next door on Rolex's orders, lol.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2024, 05:47 AM   #20
cdmorenot

Watch: = Want them all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseco View Post
WAY BACK WHEN
I was offered 10% off as a walk in at Morre Lyons
I purchased a TT blusey at D'Amore for 25% off new & was offered 30% of PM
I bet this may have had a hand in it as well.
Yup. You'd often find D'Amore stamped warranty cards along Rt 4 Jewelry exchange.
Old 15 October 2024, 05:51 AM   #21
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
One would hope most are for some valid noncompliance issue with Rolex policy which includes the store's appearance and its Rolex display area.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2024, 06:49 AM   #22
EndlessEight

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmorenot View Post
Location, location, location...

Actually I have no idea what Rolex's basis for cancelling AD status is but the three that I am familiar with and purchased from at some point have a few things in common such as poor location with a demographic that changed drastically.

Love that the one in Cranford got yanked.

When I started my Rolex journey, I was looking for a his and hers pair and the owner had the audacity to bring me outside onto the street while she pointed at the Rolex clock across the way. Then said “I’m not sacrificing that clock for anyone…”.

No idea what she was going on about but glad they are no longer an AD.

I lost both of my ADs Morre Lyons and Sydney Thomas the same year. The only other Rolex AD I have a purchase history with in Hawaii, won’t sell out of state any longer.

So I’ve been in limbo with Rolex. Been buying Omega since.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2024, 07:43 AM   #23
OSU1989
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
My local AD, which used to offer Rolex at both of their locations - is now limited to one as of a few years ago. Interestingly, they appear to have lost their Patek accreditation since my last visit to their website.

The one location that still has Rolex appears to be building a Rolex-dedicated store next door, I assume to secure the blessing of Rolex for some more time. I really hope they keep it as it's the only AD where I have spend history.
OSU1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2024, 08:18 AM   #24
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casadecamporolex View Post
The AD is not big enough.
It's also what they turn over. My small ish AD claims to sell in excess of what Rolex requires for the local population, although it's not just about units shifted. They can't order what Rolex considers to be excess inventory because this might encroach on the turnover of adjacent ADs. At the other end of the scale, some ADs might not be able to secure the credit required to buy enough inventory to satisfy Rolex. I suspect the latter situation leads to franchises being withdrawn, but the complete picture will only be known to the AD and Rolex. We're mostly guessing, myself included.

ADs who do not opt to do the required upgrades have already decided to drop Rolex, it's just a question of when. A bald, unsemintal business decision. The sentimentality seems to reside among the customers, who know the least of it.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2024, 10:40 AM   #25
Watch_aficionado
"TRF" Member

Just heard that Bigham Jewelers in Naples has been pulled as a Rolex dealer. I can't say I'm sad to hear this because the times I've been in there I've been treated like garbage. It's not even that I didn't get a watch from them- it was the pretentious, crappy way they treated me when I went in there about a year ago. I have family in Naples and travel/stay there often.

Essentially, they had a really small Rolex counter and when I asked about buying something, they just walked me over to the pre-owned section and looked at me like I was unworthy. The lady that dealt with me (I remember her name was Carol) was just rude and impersonal. I had to force them to take my name to be put on the list.
Watch_aficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2024, 10:53 AM   #26
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

First of all, in any cohort, somebody's going to be the lowest ranked so if Rolex feels they can no longer supply the number of AD's with product, they always have an easy choice.

Geography also certainly plays a part, both in how near your nearest competitor is and also whether the surrounding area still fits the brand. Neighborhoods certainly change, sometimes rapidly.

My AD is in a great area and is doing a very expensive build out right now so I think I'm safe.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2024, 11:02 AM   #27
rom33
2024 Pledge Member

Oystersteel92 makes a great point:
Geography also certainly plays a part, both in how near your nearest competitor is and also whether the surrounding area still fits the brand. Neighborhoods certainly change, sometimes rapidly.

Rolex is now a luxury brand, just like Chanel, Prada, etc. These brands are located in "luxury buying" neighborhoods.
rom33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2024, 11:38 AM   #28
Max7857
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AK EXP II SeaQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch_aficionado View Post
Just heard that Bigham Jewelers in Naples has been pulled as a Rolex dealer. I can't say I'm sad to hear this because the times I've been in there I've been treated like garbage. It's not even that I didn't get a watch from them- it was the pretentious, crappy way they treated me when I went in there about a year ago. I have family in Naples and travel/stay there often.

Essentially, they had a really small Rolex counter and when I asked about buying something, they just walked me over to the pre-owned section and looked at me like I was unworthy. The lady that dealt with me (I remember her name was Carol) was just rude and impersonal. I had to force them to take my name to be put on the list.
Doesn’t surprise me. Their Rolex section was very small. Even though they sold me a couple of watches over the years it was never a memorable experience. Always seemed like they were doing you a favor.
Max7857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2024, 12:58 PM   #29
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Don’t live there anymore but saw four Rolex ADs in the Houston area have their franchises revoked over the last 6 years. Ben Bridge at one time had three Rolex doors in the city. First store lost Rolex when another area dealer was awarded a Rolex only Boutique in the same upscale mall. Second store quit carrying and told me they wanted to consolidate inventory at their third store, a year later no more Rolex at BB although the stores are still open.
Second store was closed due to alleged hanky panky that I witnessed first hand. I was offered a new 116500 at $5K over with a convoluted story of how they had traded with another AD for over MSRP. Similar stories were spread and they were gone within months of my experience.
Third store was an old school mom and pop that perhaps had become too dowdy over the years. They retired and closed their store within a year of losing Rolex.
Last but not least was another case of hanky panky. AD never seemed to have any new Rolex yet always had a well stocked pre-owned section of pretty much unworn watches. Seems they did “straw buyer” deals where they sold then bought back their new watches so they could charge over MSRP.
It’s worth noting that the two that basically broke their contract were terminated immediately whereas the others seemed to get to at least finish their year out.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2024, 12:58 PM   #30
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

Don’t even get me started on Bigham in Naples, as mentioned above that SA Carol the worst ever. That AD was more of a grey market dealer than a Rolex AD. I was told we have plenty of pre owned 2024 models for sale! and a ten year wait list.

I’m sure they will continue as a grey market dealer.

So I guess they got what they deserved.

I lost a great AD last year in the Caribbean a great small family owned, because of the build out expense. They were the nicest family with exceptional customer service. Always a smile and happy to see you, even if you were not in to buy.

I agree, that it’s very sad to see what is happening!
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote