The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 February 2023, 12:53 PM   #1
Grimm
"TRF" Member

Opinions on this 16750

Hey everyone, hope I'm doing this right and not violating any forum rules. Been on the hunt for my first vintage Rolex (my first Rolex period) for a while now and with the help and guidance of forum members have become completely enamored with the matte 16750 and have decided this is the chosen one for me. I've been bugging forum members privately but in an effort to to be less irritating to them I've sought out your collective wisdom.

I think I've found the right piece for me. It is by no means a collector and has seen some heavy wear, which I'm totally cool with as long as it is an honest piece. The seller seems reputable enough through my amateur eyes and is well reviewed through many re-sale platforms. I plan to have the watch authenticated upon arrival but wanted to make sure there were no glaring abnormalities that my ignorance and desperation for a fairly priced piece may be missing. Appreciate any advice, please feel free to be as harsh as necessary, im trying to learn, but not the hard way.

Thanks!

RR

Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2023, 12:56 PM   #2
Grimm
"TRF" Member

Think I got it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 16750_jub5.jpeg (260.4 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpeg 16750_jub1.jpeg (289.0 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpeg 16750_jub2.jpeg (271.8 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpeg 16750_jub3.jpeg (255.9 KB, 317 views)
File Type: jpeg 16750_jub4.jpeg (270.6 KB, 319 views)
Old 9 February 2023, 01:17 PM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I'm not seeing any "glaring abnormalities." The condition of the insert is bad enough to be distracting for me, but I assume you're ok with it at the asking price. I also assume that you've confirmed the watch is operating properly and asked about any service history it might have. Cosmetically, the case is great and the dial is appealing, and that's the foundation of a good watch. You can always upgrade the insert.

I would just point out that the bracelet is badly stretched, to the point where it has relatively little value. In your place, I would budget for a replacement.
Old 9 February 2023, 01:39 PM   #4
Grimm
"TRF" Member

All great advice, thank you Dan. Don't know if the bracelet is salvageable for repair. Will definitely be shopping for a replacement. The insert looks like total shit but I'm happy for its originality. Reportedly serviced recently and running well, but can't confirm until I receive. The seller has a generous return window so I'd plan to put it through its paces.

RR
Old 9 February 2023, 01:49 PM   #5
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
All great advice, thank you Dan. Don't know if the bracelet is salvageable for repair. Will definitely be shopping for a replacement. The insert looks like total shit but I'm happy for its originality. Reportedly serviced recently and running well, but can't confirm until I receive. The seller has a generous return window so I'd plan to put it through its paces.

RR
The bracelet can be repaired, but it may not be economical compared to buying a good one and selling that one for parts. That would also allow you to consider an oyster, if you prefer that.
Old 9 February 2023, 01:49 PM   #6
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

That bracelet is very stretched but I dont see major denting or smashing of the corners. Im sure Rolliworks can rebuild it for a fraction of a new bracelet and it will be just as good as new when rebuilt.
Old 9 February 2023, 03:47 PM   #7
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Does the bracelet have small ‘50’ stamps on the last link before the endlinks? If so, it’s a more htf version of the 62510h that came with a gmt originally. It’s worth fixing if it’s got these stamps.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2023, 11:50 PM   #8
some.idiot
"TRF" Member

I don't know anything about anything but I love that. I'd gladly buy it if the price was right.
some.idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2023, 11:51 PM   #9
Grimm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
The bracelet can be repaired, but it may not be economical compared to buying a good one and selling that one for parts. That would also allow you to consider an oyster, if you prefer that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
That bracelet is very stretched but I dont see major denting or smashing of the corners. Im sure Rolliworks can rebuild it for a fraction of a new bracelet and it will be just as good as new when rebuilt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
Does the bracelet have small ‘50’ stamps on the last link before the endlinks? If so, it’s a more htf version of the 62510h that came with a gmt originally. It’s worth fixing if it’s got these stamps.
Thanks everyone for the insight! Exactly what I was looking for.
Old 10 February 2023, 12:59 AM   #10
Grimm
"TRF" Member

Ugh! Someone else scooped it out from under me overnight. Bummed.
Old 10 February 2023, 03:54 AM   #11
kegan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Disappointing for sure. You’ll find another that you like more. Good choice by the way on the 16750
kegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 04:04 AM   #12
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
Bummer. You'll find another. The hunt is definitely the fun part.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 05:16 AM   #13
dhknola
"TRF" Member

How much was asking price?
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2023, 07:12 AM   #14
Grimm
"TRF" Member

Disappointing for sure but the hunt has been fun. 12,900 out the door
Old 11 February 2023, 08:04 PM   #15
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
£10,500 / $12,900 was on the money, (not cheap though, as insert scruffy rather than aged - though there is a little trick with polish that would have got a lot of those scratches to disappear), esp if it had 50 end links.

It’s worth noting that 62510h D bracelets are relatively cheap (as my research suggest over half were first found on DJs and have -shall we say- ‘migrated’ over to a pricier watch!!) compared to a 78360/7836 which are often more than double the price.

I pay about £275 for a stretched one like that up to a max of £550 for a low stretch. Folded link versions I.E 6251h with period clasps are more circa from c £750. Worth seeking a period folded link jub bracelet if you can….they look more ‘tool like’ minus the polished jubilee centre links of a later D link.

Don’t beat yourself up….£10-12k sterling gets a good 1675 here in uk if you look hard and avoid the plate glass establishments and prestige vintage sellers.
THE THE - Kingdom of Rain.
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote