The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 January 2010, 12:28 PM   #1
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Please Help, What Bracelet is this Spring Bar For?

CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 01:18 PM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDiver View Post

First off, that spring-bar is definitely designed for a csse WITH lug-holes on the outside.

Secondly, it looks like a 2 mm thick x 20 mm spring-bar......which means it would be perfect for an older Sub case with lug-holes.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 01:21 PM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
It's not a Rolex springbar.... The Rolex bars will have both double shoulders and double flanges.

Or, they will be solid with only a single end piece that fits into the lug holes cases as JJ described...

This one has a collapsed sleeve on the left side that is still inside the main tube, and has a functional double shoulder on the right side..

This one should be tossed...........
Old 13 January 2010, 01:23 PM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
It's not a Rolex springbar.... The Rolex bars will have both double shoulders and double flanges.

Or, they will be solid with only a single end piece that fits into the lug holes cases as JJ described...

This one has a collapsed sleeve on the left side that is still inside the main tube, and has a functional double shoulder on the right side..

This one should be tossed...........
Hmmmm......thanks, Larry......I was a bit skeptical about that left side wondering if it was just stuck inside.

Can it not be pulled out with a tweezer? And then maybe a bit of oil......or is it just plain stuffed?

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 01:26 PM   #5
Safetrends
Banned

Watch: my hand. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Hmmmm......thanks, Larry......I was a bit skeptical about that left side wondering if it was just stuck inside.

Can it not be pulled out with a tweezer? And then maybe a bit of oil......or is it just plain stuffed?

JJ
JJ please do not pull it out with tweezers or you will cause uncontrollable laughter in TRF!

:r ofl:
Safetrends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2010, 01:27 PM   #6
Tools

I suppose that it could be pulled back out.... or fiddled with if necessary and you don't have another bar...

But, springbars are cheap, and they do hold the bracelet on, so one that is questionable........ and may not spring back out fully when it is unseen between the lugs...... it should be tossed..

This one apears to be a decent generic replacement that has seen a lot of time on a watch judging by the burnish marks in the middle and the stuck inner shoulder...
Old 13 January 2010, 02:28 PM   #7
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
and may not spring back out fully when it is unseen between the lugs...... it should be tossed..

This one apears to be a decent generic replacement that has seen a lot of time on a watch judging by the burnish marks in the middle and the stuck inner shoulder...
It is part of the story that I went through here: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=109294
I’m not a happy camper. I noticed it today when I tool off the bracelet to put on a Nato (JJ don’t get mad, as sometime Rolex does not give you an option!). It does not fit right either. It is short on that side that does not have the step. It also is smaller. Why would Rolex do this?
This is what it had on it when I handed over the watch:

This is what it had when I got it back:
Old 13 January 2010, 02:40 PM   #8
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

I thought it was stuck as well, but my eyes are not that good. As far as I can tell there is nothing stuck. I think what is on the smaller shaft is a shadow. Also, on the side the has the double stage, it sticks out of the other side of the watch. Another thing I noticed when I went to remove the bracelet. Think the watchmakers bench is dirty?
Old 13 January 2010, 03:01 PM   #9
CBR900RR
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014
My 1986 16014 had the same spring bar on the 1st pic.
CBR900RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2010, 12:08 AM   #10
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Any logic to what Rolex did?
Old 14 January 2010, 03:35 AM   #11
Tools

Quote:
Any logic to what Rolex did?
There is no logic here... the spring bar you originally pictured is just wrong for that watch.. and by your last photo, it also appears that the other bar, although correct configuration, has a main body that is too short.. An original spring bar only has about a half mm difference between the lugs and the main tube..

I think that I would walk it back into the Dallas Service Center and tell them that the spring-bars they put on do not appear correct..
Old 16 January 2010, 05:06 PM   #12
Tools

After some research on spring bars, I want to correct myself here..

It appears that the original spring-bar pictured is indeed for a Rolex and part number 9290... It is a 20mm bar but only 1.8mm in diameter and has the small diameter end pins...

The correct bar for a lug holes Sub should be the 9291 spring bars which are 2mm in diameter by 20mm... These have long but properly sized end pins... If they stick out of the lugs too far then the 9293 pins should be used which have shorter end pins.....