The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 October 2008, 05:49 AM   #1
Deep Sea
"TRF" Member

Watch: A Rolex or two
Another Daytona.....I just got another call today

I usually deal with two different AD's, and one of them just called me minutes ago to ask if I wanted a black dial Daytona (not sure about new or old clasp, but price was $9925).

I cordially turned it down (4th time this year). If it were a white dial, I would be figuring out how to explain it to the wife.

Daytona's seem to be popping up everywhere now.
Deep Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2008, 05:54 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
At times like this, I guess it makes more sense to convert material wealth into hard cash!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2008, 06:11 AM   #3
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
I have predicted and still predict that in the next 12 months or so, we will hear stories of TRF memebers buying SS Daytona's at AD's for less then MSRP. I predict that AD's are going to be discounting all models just to move inventory. With the 40% mark up that has been quoted on this forum from what AD's pay for these watches, even with a 20% discount everyone is still making money. The good deals are coming. This is really going to hurt the grey dealers and others trying to sell their Rolex's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Sea View Post
I usually deal with two different AD's, and one of them just called me minutes ago to ask if I wanted a black dial Daytona (not sure about new or old clasp, but price was $9925).

I cordially turned it down (4th time this year). If it were a white dial, I would be figuring out how to explain it to the wife.

dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2008, 06:18 AM   #4
Marrk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
What city are you in?

Quote:

Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2008, 06:19 AM   #5
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcash0615 View Post
I have predicted and still predict that in the next 12 months or so, we will hear stories of TRF memebers buying SS Daytona's at AD's for less then MSRP. I predict that AD's are going to be discounting all models just to move inventory. With the 40% mark up that has been quoted on this forum from what AD's pay for these watches, even with a 20% discount everyone is still making money. The good deals are coming. This is really going to hurt the grey dealers and others trying to sell their Rolex's.
Here's to hoping, but I doubt it.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2008, 06:21 AM   #6
RossInIllinois
Banned

Watch: GMT 2
Quote:

No shortage of Stainless Daytonas in the Chicago area either. Its the global economy. Rolex is making the same amount but they are not being prurchased as quickly so they are starting to stack up now.
RossInIllinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2008, 06:36 AM   #7
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Maybe so.. Just hoping for the members who do not have one as of yet. I fortunately have two. White face Z serial and a black face F serial. Purchased the Z for $7900 and the F for $6975 (no tax).
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
Here's to hoping, but I doubt it.
Old 22 October 2008, 06:36 AM   #8
Deep Sea
"TRF" Member

AND she just called me back to tell me they also have a white dial, and I could have the white since I really don't want the black dial.

So now I really do have a dilemma on my hands!!!

She has others waiting in the wings if I turn it down, but I have until 12:00 tomorrow to make up my mind.
Old 22 October 2008, 06:39 AM   #9
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Seems to more and more out there.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2008, 06:42 AM   #10
ashu2289
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas,SD
Quote:
AND she just called me back to tell me they also have a white dial, and I could have the white since I really don't want the black dial.

She has others waiting in the wings if I turn it down, but I have until 12:00 tomorrow to make up my mind.
Get it before anyone else does
Daytonas are still one of the rarest Rolex and it is just due to bad economy n market turmoil that people are fortunate to get these calls

Everything becomes nothing after ROLEX
116520 SS Daytona White Dial
116520 SS Daytona Black Dial
116523 18K&SS Daytona Slate Dial
16600 Sea-Dweller
16710 GMT Master II Pepsi Bezel
16613 18K&SS Submariner Blue Dial
116660 Deepsea Sea-Dweller
ashu2289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2008, 08:31 AM   #11
Klokke

Sorry, but predicting it won't make it true. Daytona demand strong as ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcash0615 View Post
You can't predict such things because you simply have no objective data to support the prediction. Daytona demand was and is still high unlike the GMT II-C, SDDS, and GV Milie. Anecdotal evidence from a handful of WISs and ADs is not objective or conclusive. As soon as 2 or 3 WISs coincidentally buy or see a Daytona at their AD, everyone starts calling for an end to the Daytona hype.

We have seen this many times before. We have been hearing of an impending price/demand drop in Daytonas for literally years but it never seems to happen. What is likely going on now is simply the coincidental arrival of a batch of Daytonas at US ADs from Rolex.

The GV Milgauss is a very cool Rolex but it is not going to be like the SS Daytona, just as the GMT II-C did not become like the SS Daytona despite initial speculation. There's only one Rolex like the SS Daytona and it's called the SS Daytona. The Daytona has more of a history than the Milgauss. The demand and scarcity of the SS Daytona have steadily increased over more than a decade. It is clearly not a fad. The big auction house sold a '71 "Albino" Daytona for over half a million dollars on April 23, 2008. I doubt a Milie has ever sold for much more than a tenth of that number. The Daytona is a legend.

With the SS GMT II-C and now with the GV Milgauss and the SDDS we see a short burst of high demand at retail launch followed by a sharp drop in price back towards list price. We have no access to Rolex production numbers, shipments, or AD sales. Anecdotal evidence from one AD who may or may not have an agenda is not objective. A few TZ salescorner sales is not indicative. The current market prices (the Bay and GM-ers) tell the true story and are the only objective measures of supply and demand. GV prices are down because demand is down. SS Daytona prices have been have been over list for years. Waiting lists for SS Daytonas can be years long and that's if you are a good customer.

Worldwide, black is harder to get and commands a higher premium over list in most countries (e.g. Japan). This may not be an issue if you are not going to flip it but rarity is always nice to have.

The perceived increased popularity of white in some countries is likely due to the greater availability of the white dial compared to black even though both are still very hard to get at an AD for list price.

Finally, there is historic support for going with the black dial. COSMOGRAPH production began in 1963 with the reference 6239, initially with a VALJOUX 72B movement, and identical to that of the 6238 models. The oldest examples have a bezel for speed measurement with graduations and silver counters on a BLACK DIAL for the steel version.

Having said all that, get whichever comes your way first. You won't have a choice unless you plan on paying over list. And the chance to get it at an AD at list price and have your name on the registration is great. There are always risks higher prices buying gray market or pre-owned.
Klokke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2008, 09:04 AM   #12
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

We shall see... Lets revist this in a year or so and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klokke View Post
You can't predict such things because you simply have no objective data to support the prediction. Daytona demand was and is still high unlike the GMT II-C, SDDS, and GV Milie. Anecdotal evidence from a handful of WISs and ADs is not objective or conclusive. As soon as 2 or 3 WISs coincidentally buy or see a Daytona at their AD, everyone starts calling for an end to the Daytona hype.

We have seen this many times before. We have been hearing of an impending price/demand drop in Daytonas for literally years but it never seems to happen. What is likely going on now is simply the coincidental arrival of a batch of Daytonas at US ADs from Rolex.

The GV Milgauss is a very cool Rolex but it is not going to be like the SS Daytona, just as the GMT II-C did not become like the SS Daytona despite initial speculation. There's only one Rolex like the SS Daytona and it's called the SS Daytona. The Daytona has more of a history than the Milgauss. The demand and scarcity of the SS Daytona have steadily increased over more than a decade. It is clearly not a fad. The big auction house sold a '71 "Albino" Daytona for over half a million dollars on April 23, 2008. I doubt a Milie has ever sold for much more than a tenth of that number. The Daytona is a legend.

With the SS GMT II-C and now with the GV Milgauss and the SDDS we see a short burst of high demand at retail launch followed by a sharp drop in price back towards list price. We have no access to Rolex production numbers, shipments, or AD sales. Anecdotal evidence from one AD who may or may not have an agenda is not objective. A few TZ salescorner sales is not indicative. The current market prices (the Bay and GM-ers) tell the true story and are the only objective measures of supply and demand. GV prices are down because demand is down. SS Daytona prices have been have been over list for years. Waiting lists for SS Daytonas can be years long and that's if you are a good customer.

Worldwide, black is harder to get and commands a higher premium over list in most countries (e.g. Japan). This may not be an issue if you are not going to flip it but rarity is always nice to have.

The perceived increased popularity of white in some countries is likely due to the greater availability of the white dial compared to black even though both are still very hard to get at an AD for list price.

Finally, there is historic support for going with the black dial. COSMOGRAPH production began in 1963 with the reference 6239, initially with a VALJOUX 72B movement, and identical to that of the 6238 models. The oldest examples have a bezel for speed measurement with graduations and silver counters on a BLACK DIAL for the steel version.

Having said all that, get whichever comes your way first. You won't have a choice unless you plan on paying over list. And the chance to get it at an AD at list price and have your name on the registration is great. There are always risks higher prices buying gray market or pre-owned.
Old 22 October 2008, 09:39 AM   #13
tphan
"TRF" Member

Frankly...availability, msrp, grey market, whatever isn't matter much now.

Why?

I am enjoying mine...blk & wht.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2008, 12:03 PM   #14
RolexSoFla

Watch: SS Daytona, ND Sub
Quote:

We have seen this many times before. We have been hearing of an impending price/demand drop in Daytonas for literally years but it never seems to happen. What is likely going on now is simply the coincidental arrival of a batch of Daytonas at US ADs from Rolex................................
I agree. I got my black dial almost two years but remained on a list with my local AD that I purchased three Rolexes from in the past. Still waiting.
RolexSoFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2008, 12:41 PM   #15
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

Please lets us know what you decide?
Wow this is the third thread about a S/S Daytona becoming available, in one day!!!!

Last edited by topcat30093; 22 October 2008 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: Added an extra piece
topcat30093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2008, 01:15 PM   #16
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:

While I respect your opinion, the fact does not change, and remains ...Daytonas are dead -in-the-water. They are everywhere for sale, prima facie evidence of my statement. If that were not the case, they wouldn't be showing up for sale everywhere, everyday. Sorry to be the messenger, but it still is a great watch...enjoy.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2008, 01:30 PM   #17
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Me!!!
Quote:

I guess season is coming they are realsing it before us people use our money some where else hahahaha
Old 22 October 2008, 05:01 PM   #18
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
Quote:

Make sure you pay $9200 only since the newer price only applies to models/pieces with newer clasp only. Many AD's are jumping on this and charging more.
Several people already go their refund of 725+tax.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 05:33 AM   #19
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
While I respect your opinion, the fact does not change, and remains ...Daytonas are dead -in-the-water. They are everywhere for sale, prima facie evidence of my statement. If that were not the case, they wouldn't be showing up for sale everywhere, everyday. Sorry to be the messenger, but it still is a great watch...enjoy.
It really isn't prima facie evidence that they will be selling for discounts within the next 12 months, which was your statement, or that they are dead in the water either. They are for sale (and have been for months), but they are still not widely available at dealers, and the sale prices, while lower than they were several months ago, are still not dropping below MSRP for the most part.

A quick scan of the for sale forum shows a sale just within the last few weeks of a five year old model for $9700, a tidy profit for the individual assuming he purchased it new...and others are selling in the 10's.

So the market has definitely slowed (hardly a surprise given the current state of things; a 40+% decline in the Dow will tend to put the fear into people), I think it's quite an overstatement to declare the watch "dead in the water". The watch market as a whole is slowing, and the Daytona isn't immune, but it's still a rarity to find them at ADs...plus, Rolex can always limit production if they decide that one of their most-hyped models is losing its sheen.

Time will tell, but imo reports of the SS Daytona's death are greatly exaggerated.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 05:48 AM   #20
James T
"TRF" Member

Watch: submariner 16610
improviz, i second what you said...
Old 23 October 2008, 06:10 AM   #21
Deep Sea
"TRF" Member

Update....I ended up turning down the Daytona. I'd be buying it just to have a Daytona, and, truth be told, once it crossed the $8K mark, it lost its appeal. For $10K (it has the new bracelet, and then you have to add tax), I can buy a very gently used Sub date, plus a gently used GMT, and a beater ND Sub. I may regret it later, but the self-justification and mental jockeying throughout the evening, and most of the morning, told me I really only want it b/c it's so hard to find new from an AD.

But in the end, having been offered the elusive white dial, I am just sitting back, counting the days 'till I get my hands on another Pepsi (which I really do want (again)).

I think I need a drink...
Old 23 October 2008, 06:15 AM   #22
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
It really isn't prima facie evidence that they will be selling for discounts within the next 12 months, which was your statement, or that they are dead in the water either. They are for sale (and have been for months), but they are still not widely available at dealers, and the sale prices, while lower than they were several months ago, are still not dropping below MSRP for the most part.

A quick scan of the for sale forum shows a sale just within the last few weeks of a five year old model for $9700, a tidy profit for the individual assuming he purchased it new...and others are selling in the 10's.

So the market has definitely slowed (hardly a surprise given the current state of things; a 40+% decline in the Dow will tend to put the fear into people), I think it's quite an overstatement to declare the watch "dead in the water". The watch market as a whole is slowing, and the Daytona isn't immune, but it's still a rarity to find them at ADs...plus, Rolex can always limit production if they decide that one of their most-hyped models is losing its sheen.

Time will tell, but imo reports of the SS Daytona's death are greatly exaggerated.
I don't know anything about, nor did I mention discounting of Daytonas in my post. My post concerned they are everywhere, and if looking to buy, you won't have a problem finding one at retail because they are everywhere for sale. They are dead-in-the-water as far as selling above retail- at least for most people. And, quite frankly, it is about time. Enjoy yours!

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2008, 01:11 PM   #23
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
I don't know anything about, nor did I mention discounting of Daytonas in my post.
My goof...got your post mixed up with another poster's who'd said that.

Quote:
My post concerned they are everywhere, and if looking to buy, you won't have a problem finding one at retail because they are everywhere for sale. They are dead-in-the-water as far as selling above retail- at least for most people. And, quite frankly, it is about time. Enjoy yours!
Ah, that clarifies it....I thought you were saying they were "dead in the water" popularity-wise, but it seems you were talking about big markups in the grey market. However, even w/this it'll take some monitoring, as the grey market dealers are still asking above retail for them (albeit not as much as before)....if the prediction comes to pass, it'll show up soon enough in the pricing.

They are definitely down from their previous lofty heights, though, so if the trend continues you'll be spot-on....we'll know before long, that's for sure.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote