The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 20 December 2008, 06:02 PM   #1
Alxlee
"TRF" Member

Looks fishy to me (eBay Daytona Warning)

Looked like a really good deal at first, then noticed the pictures looked familiar. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150317012226

Original pictures appears here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270316884481
Alxlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2008, 01:02 AM   #2
Orchi
Banned

Err buddy Alex...welcome to this WatchOut forum...!

Orchi has 0 confidence on BOTH Sellers...
Problem is...which one appears more genuine than the other...?
Orchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2008, 01:14 AM   #3
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Welcome to the Forum, Alex...

Great catch!
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2008, 01:40 AM   #4
Alxlee
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the welcome.

I actually had exchanged some e-mails with the first guy ("devdardee")...the one I ~believe~ to be legitimate. The lister now insists it's the actual watch he's selling...so I asked him if he'd be willing to meet at an AD to do any potential deals. No responses to that email yet... If you notice, he's actually got feedback for selling a fake in the past.
Old 21 December 2008, 03:58 AM   #5
tudorman8276
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Prez
...I am of the...

...opinion, that the devarde listing was a SCAM.

...he has less than 20 FB while the other seller has over 300 FB. I would also be of the opinion, because of the dates of the listings, that the 300FB seller re-listed the watch (as it may not have sold the first time around etc).

...not likely that someone with 300 FB is going to try to scam someone. The 300 FB seller ALSO showed the TOP portion of the Jared receipt, while the under 20 seller did NOT.

...what I have found, is that the majority of legit sellers, place as many in-focus pic's AND item descriptions to support a good listing to assure a good sale.

...just my $ .02 worth.

...also, we need to monitor the FB exchange of both from the devarde listing.

Stan.

Stan.
tudorman8276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2008, 06:25 AM   #6
Alxlee
"TRF" Member

I'm actually more and more leaning towards the Devarde was the legitimate seller. Mostly because of the communications between he and I, just little things I noticed. Like the sales tax rate in Indiana is not 8.9% like it shows on the receipt but it is in some areas of Washington State (where the first auction location was). I don't know, I'm probably just overanalyzing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorman8276 View Post
...opinion, that the devarde listing was a SCAM.

...he has less than 20 FB while the other seller has over 300 FB. I would also be of the opinion, because of the dates of the listings, that the 300FB seller re-listed the watch (as it may not have sold the first time around etc).

...not likely that someone with 300 FB is going to try to scam someone. The 300 FB seller ALSO showed the TOP portion of the Jared receipt, while the under 20 seller did NOT.

...what I have found, is that the majority of legit sellers, place as many in-focus pic's AND item descriptions to support a good listing to assure a good sale.

...just my $ .02 worth.

...also, we need to monitor the FB exchange of both from the devarde listing.

Stan.

Stan.
Old 21 December 2008, 06:34 AM   #7
JimW
Banned

Watch: 18k Datejust
I looked at this. if each is the original owner, I wonder why the phone number on the receipt is from Pheonix, AZ.
16 feedback? Selling a 10k watch? Someone who is involved with trust and safety ebay should contact them and ask if the name Joel is good?

Just my small 1/3rd of a cent's worth. I am not up to 2 cents worth like Stan yet, sighhhhh
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2008, 06:50 AM   #8
Alxlee
"TRF" Member

Wow, ok, I didn't catch that...nice one! OK, they're all fake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
I looked at this. if each is the original owner, I wonder why the phone number on the receipt is from Pheonix, AZ.
16 feedback? Selling a 10k watch? Someone who is involved with trust and safety ebay should contact them and ask if the name Joel is good?

Just my small 1/3rd of a cent's worth. I am not up to 2 cents worth like Stan yet, sighhhhh
Old 21 December 2008, 07:15 AM   #9
JimW
Banned

Watch: 18k Datejust
Not saying anything for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxlee View Post
Wow, ok, I didn't catch that...nice one! OK, they're all fake!
Not saying for sure, just pointing out what I looked into is all. Also forgive me for not welcoming you to the forum in my 1st post. So welcome to the forum.
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2008, 12:41 PM   #10
tudorman8276
"TRF" Member

...cannot be...

Quote:
I'm actually more and more leaning towards the Devarde was the legitimate seller. Mostly because of the communications between he and I, just little things I noticed. Like the sales tax rate in Indiana is not 8.9% like it shows on the receipt but it is in some areas of Washington State (where the first auction location was). I don't know, I'm probably just overanalyzing.
...the devarde listing did NOT have the top portion of the receipt in his listing, BUT, the 300 FB seller DID.

Stan.
Old 21 December 2008, 04:47 PM   #11
Alxlee
"TRF" Member

I thought it did. No worries, moot point now since the 300 FB seller appears to have taken a $7,000 offer for it. Someone either got a really good deal or lost a lot of money.

OK, what's the point of these anyway? Assuming the watch does not come or a counterfeit shows up at your doorstep. You protest the charge with your credit card carrier or PayPal and they charge back the charge and the scammer would not get the money either. Or is that just a naiive belief on my part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorman8276 View Post
...the devarde listing did NOT have the top portion of the receipt in his listing, BUT, the 300 FB seller DID.

Stan.
Old 21 December 2008, 05:15 PM   #12
tudorman8276
"TRF" Member

...they are going for less...

Quote:
I thought it did. No worries, moot point now since the 300 FB seller appears to have taken a $7,000 offer for it. Someone either got a really good deal or lost a lot of money.

OK, what's the point of these anyway? Assuming the watch does not come or a counterfeit shows up at your doorstep. You protest the charge with your credit card carrier or PayPal and they charge back the charge and the scammer would not get the money either. Or is that just a naiive belief on my part?
...on the bay right now. I saw a couple nice ones with BIN's between $6500-8000.

Stan.