The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 10 September 2021, 02:46 PM   #1
watchwecrave
"TRF" Member

1967/68 Rolex 1675 MK 1 Fuchsia insert - opinion on dial

Hi thanks for accepting me as the forum member. I am very new to vintage watch collecting. I just purchase my very first vintage Rolex 1675 that comes complete with box and paper, which I am really2 happy about it. However since I am new I have few question that I would like to ask to this forum member.

The biggest question is my hour marker still glows strong so I assume it has been relume, however I just had the movement service and the service guy said is not relume and this could be a service dial. However I have not seen a single MK 1 service dial. I also read few website that during 67/68 the marker was treated with zinc sulfide/tritium but is it possible to still glow bright? called a day glow dial but it say it last few seconds mine last for around 2- 3 minutes if I put it under intense light and then turn off the light. The marker looks still puffy correct period as the 67/68

So my question is my dial a service dial? Or it is not service dial and been relume or it is period correct and possibility still glows strong?
I have attach few pictures and video under UV. the video is film under UV

The watch is serial number 175xxxx match with the guarantee and cosc paper dated 1968
Case back stamp II.67
Insert fuchsia faded
Bracelet is not correct so if anyone is selling 7206 or the 6251 jubillee please dm me. I am interested to purchase

Thanks for the help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex 1675 1.jpg (129.7 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex 1675 3.jpg (179.1 KB, 367 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex 1675 4.jpg (170.6 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex 1675 5.jpg (104.0 KB, 366 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex 1675 6.jpg (140.3 KB, 376 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex 1675 7.jpg (114.2 KB, 370 views)
Attached Files
File Type: wmv WhatsApp-Video-2021-09-09-at-4.34.55-PM.wmv (1.30 MB, 15 views)
watchwecrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 12:02 AM   #2
1665fan
"TRF" Member

It looks like an original mark 1 dial to me……so when it exposed to sun and put in a dark room the dial glows? I’ve had 3 mark 1 and they are all dead(no glow) all the hands are super minty for the age….must have spent a lot of time in a safe(but bezel has a lot of fade??)…..and never polished..wow
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 12:14 AM   #3
watchwecrave
"TRF" Member

Thanks

Yes thats why i was wandering why the lume is still strong if you see the video, i just had it service the movement. All the punch paper match with the case number. I just need second opinion. Im really happy to get the watch. But do you think its been relume? The service guy here in indonesia said it could be service dial but i never come across any mark 1 service dial.

Cheers
Old 11 September 2021, 12:17 AM   #4
watchwecrave
"TRF" Member

I attach more picture. I put in uv box and after uv box on dark room. Please comment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20210910-WA0043.jpg (17.4 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20210910-WA0042.jpg (58.7 KB, 346 views)
Old 11 September 2021, 12:21 AM   #5
watchwecrave
"TRF" Member

I read that 67/68 it use zinc sulfide but i dont know how it suppose to br
Old 11 September 2021, 04:43 AM   #6
Beccaio
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2005 16610
That is a really illuminated dial. How does it last for so many years?
Beccaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 04:57 AM   #7
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccaio View Post
That is a really illuminated dial. How does it last for so many years?
I’ve had/have a few 1966 gilt dial pieces w that type of lume mixture. Even under just a bright light, the markers will glow for a short while. Maybe a couple minutes.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 05:00 AM   #8
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

In my experience, 1960s zinc sulfide phosphor can glow visibly for a minute or two after UV excitation. Of course, it is gradually getting dimmer over that time.
Old 11 September 2021, 09:24 AM   #9
watchwecrave
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
In my experience, 1960s zinc sulfide phosphor can glow visibly for a minute or two after UV excitation. Of course, it is gradually getting dimmer over that time.
I measure mine it lasted 3 min almost 4 min until completely dead from given intense light.
Old 11 September 2021, 09:27 AM   #10
watchwecrave
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
I’ve had/have a few 1966 gilt dial pieces w that type of lume mixture. Even under just a bright light, the markers will glow for a short while. Maybe a couple minutes.
Im really confuse because as i am aware there is none mark 1 service dial. But does it look relume or it is the transitional dial between gilt and matte and is it possible for the serial number.
Old 11 September 2021, 05:25 PM   #11
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
It looks correct.
Old 11 September 2021, 07:26 PM   #12
watchwecrave
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
It looks correct.
So it is still possible for the dial to still glow? Is there any mark 1 service dial? I saw few post in internet that this period uses zinc sulfode is it correct? Im really new sorry if i ask too much question.
Old 11 September 2021, 07:48 PM   #13
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwecrave View Post
So it is still possible for the dial to still glow? Is there any mark 1 service dial? I saw few post in internet that this period uses zinc sulfode is it correct? Im really new sorry if i ask too much question.
Early mk1 dials glow and are often greenish in color.
Old 11 September 2021, 07:53 PM   #14
tommyzzj
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD
My Long E mark 1 doesn't glow when exposed to the sun - but it does react to UV. OP's one looks remarkably bright however..
tommyzzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 09:35 PM   #15
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Beautiful watch, insert is killer. See my thread regarding the lume on my 5513. Looks exactly like yours under UV light and reacts exactly the same afterwards. Also does not seem to react much from direct sunlight. So you have a zinc sulfide dial. Your handset glows a different color so those look relumed to me. But the dial is in amazing condition, if that is relumed whoever did it is a master craftsman. I’m sure you’ll get more of the Eagle eyed experts around here to chime in but so far from what I’ve read so far they think it’s good which should be reassuring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2021, 01:00 AM   #16
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
There is no Mark I service dial, whether tritium or luminova, that has the same appearance as a Mark I dial. In the past, before there were service dials for the GMT 1675, you would find Mark V or Mark VI dials used as service dials on the early white-lettered Mark I watches and possibly the Mark II or Mark IV dials.

Later, service dials went into production for the GMT 1675s with the original dials identified as:

1) the first variation of service dial had tritium markers with SWISS-T<25 printed at the bottom of the dial

2) the next service dial variation had luminova markers and was also marked SWISS-T<25

3) the third variation of the GMT 1675 service dials looked in appearance as the other two service dials and luminova markers but was marked "SWISS" at the bottom of the dial. (Referred to as the superluminova dial)

No matter which service dial was used on these GMT 1675s, all three have the same appearance as found in the dial photos below. The coronets on these service dials appear somewhat similar to the original Mark I dials, but upon closer scrutiny, the differences are apparent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mark I.sm.jpg (155.9 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg service dial TRITIUM.jpg (130.5 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg service.Luminova.JPG (59.0 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg service.super lum.jpg (56.0 KB, 233 views)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2021, 01:05 AM   #17
watchwecrave
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavli3 View Post
Beautiful watch, insert is killer. See my thread regarding the lume on my 5513. Looks exactly like yours under UV light and reacts exactly the same afterwards. Also does not seem to react much from direct sunlight. So you have a zinc sulfide dial. Your handset glows a different color so those look relumed to me. But the dial is in amazing condition, if that is relumed whoever did it is a master craftsman. I’m sure you’ll get more of the Eagle eyed experts around here to chime in but so far from what I’ve read so far they think it’s good which should be reassuring.

Thanks for the comment. Can i have the link for the 5513?
Old 12 September 2021, 01:08 AM   #18
watchwecrave
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
There is no Mark I service dial that looks like a Mark I dial. In the past, before there were service dials for the GMT 1675, you would find Mark V or Mark VI dials used as service dials on the early white-lettered Mark I dials.

Later, service dials went into production for the GMT 1675s with the original dials identified as:

1) first variation of service dial was tritium marked swiss-T<25)tritium

2) the next service dial variation had luminova markers and was also marked swiss-T<25

3) the third variation of the GMT 1675 service dials looked in appearance as the other two service dials, had luminova markers but was marked "swiss" at the bottom of the dial. (Referred to as the superluminova dial)

No matter which service dial was used on these GMT 1675s, all three have the same appearance as found in the dial photos below.
Hi Springer thanks for the reply. So do you think my dial has been relume or it is the correct zinc sulfide/tritium for 67-68? Since it is not service dial. Can you please give your insight. I bought this with paper 68 but caseback 11.67 with serial no 1752xxx match the papaer and the case

Thanks
Old 12 September 2021, 01:11 AM   #19
watchwecrave
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavli3 View Post

Thanks tavil3. Cam i have the link for your beautiful 5513?

Cheers
Old 12 September 2021, 01:50 AM   #20
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
must have spent a lot of time in a safe(but bezel has a lot of fade??)…..and never polished..wow
Maybe the watch was worn a lot for the first 20 years of its life, fading the insert, and then put away for the next 30 years, preserving the condition of the dial/case.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2021, 02:07 AM   #21
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hi Springer thanks for the reply. So do you think my dial has been relume or it is the correct zinc sulfide/tritium for 67-68? Since it is not service dial. Can you please give your insight. I bought this with paper 68 but caseback 11.67 with serial no 1752xxx match the papaer and the case

Thanks
Based on the photos, and remember, this is not an "in person" inspection, I do not see any issues with the dial.

The odd color of the markers when exposed to the UV light is based on your light. Not all UV lights project the same color UV. I've seen some UV lights used on vintage dials make the dial markers on a particulate watch look white while another UV light projected on the same dial would give the markers a light green or blue tint.

The markers on the pre 1967 dials, and some from 1968 too, normally glow green under a UV light with the glow lasting several seconds to a minute or so. Also, based on my experience, these dials that glow green under UV light have a glitter or sparkle effect within the markers when excited by UV light and observed under magnification while the UV light is on the markers.

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 12 September 2021, 02:17 AM   #22
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:
Thanks tavil3. Cam i have the link for your beautiful 5513?

Cheers

It’s listed under the thread titled What Would You Guys Do

Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2021, 02:26 AM   #23
watchwecrave
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Based on the photos, and remember, this is not an "in person" inspection, I do not see any issues with the dial.

The odd color of the markers when exposed to the UV light is based on your light. Not all UV lights project the same color UV. I've seen some UV lights used on vintage dials make the dial markers on a particulate watch look white while another UV light projected on the same dial would give the markers a light green or blue tint.

The markers on the pre 1967 dials, and some from 1968 too, normally glow green under a UV light with the glow lasting several seconds to a minute or so. Also, based on my experience, these dials that glow green under UV light have a glitter or sparkle effect within the markers when excited by UV light and observed under magnification while the UV light is on the markers.

Thanks springer, i saw few thread and some within close to my serial number. Some people said to me its definetly relume. But i saw some it said dayglow. Mine lasted to completely dead is 3 min 49 second when i exposed to intense light.. i hope its the right dial. I have attach video also. But the dials look correct right? How about the other like insert and case ? So this is not relimed dial?
Old 12 September 2021, 02:39 AM   #24
watchwecrave
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Would you say this is the correct period dial with the srial number for zinc sulfide/tritium? Base on the lume when active and the dial picture when the lume is inacrive.
Cheers
Old 12 September 2021, 02:54 AM   #25
watchwecrave
"TRF" Member

After 1-2 minites it becomes like thsi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210911_234624.jpg (74.6 KB, 221 views)
Old 12 September 2021, 03:19 AM   #26
newkidonblock4
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I had a zinc sulfide dial mk1 and this seems the same. It's a beautiful watch and the complete makes it even better. Congrats
newkidonblock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2021, 06:56 AM   #27
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Would you say this is the correct period dial with the srial number for zinc sulfide/tritium? Base on the lume when active and the dial picture when the lume is inacrive.
Cheers
The Mark I dial is correct for your serial number.

I have a suggestion for you. Try this. Hire a consultant or find an expert close to you that can help you out by examining the watch in person. In person exams by someone knowledgeable who can address your concerns always works quite well for most.

The other option is returning the watch. You seem to have a lot of concerns about this watch so maybe you might just need to do a return and find a GMT from someone reputable that you trust.

Old 12 September 2021, 11:14 AM   #28
watchwecrave
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The Mark I dial is correct for your serial number.

I have a suggestion for you. Try this. Hire a consultant or find an expert close to you that can help you out by examining the watch in person. In person exams by someone knowledgeable who can address your concerns always works quite well for most.

The other option is returning the watch. You seem to have a lot of concerns about this watch so maybe you might just need to do a return and find a GMT from someone reputable that you trust.
Thanks Springer, i actually do not have concern because when i purchase the watch i have consult few people and they make assurance its all correct. Its just when i saw it still glows i am also sure that it was the zinc sulfide/tritium for the short period of 67-68. It just give me question when i had it for movement service, because the movement was really2 bad condition i ask them why is the dial still glows. He said all orginal tritium but it could be a service dial. Thats why i ask in this forum. Since i cannot find any mk 1 service dial

I found across another watch close to my serial number its also zinc sulfide so im pretty sure its all period correct. Btw do you have picture of mark 1 back dial?

Thanks
Old 12 September 2021, 11:15 AM   #29
watchwecrave
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newkidonblock4 View Post
I had a zinc sulfide dial mk1 and this seems the same. It's a beautiful watch and the complete makes it even better. Congrats
Thanks i am really enjoying the watch
Old 12 September 2021, 11:21 AM   #30
watchwecrave
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newkidonblock4 View Post
Thanks i am really enjoying the watch