The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 20 July 2022, 11:51 PM   #1
Metric30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 82 16800 Mk3, P39
PLEASE ~ Put My Mind at Some Ease Here Re: 14060m!!

So here goes nothing...or very much something if you consider how much this has been bugging me. I recently gave up my 126610LN to get into my 14060m 2-liner. And...like many of us always on the hunt...I'm feeling like I miss my previous piece! I'd been lucky enough to purchase at retail (before the price jump) and had been the sole owner.

Now - all the reasons still stand for my wanting to jump into the 14060m. The bezel (I like a my watch to tell my story ~ esp since this will go to the son of mine who behaves better over the next 25 years or so ;), the cleaner dial, the case, the drilled lugs, the less of a 'statement' piece (except to collectors like us). But I do find myself still missing the heft of my date Sub. The feel of it. I can say I'm giving it my all to fall into the jangle of the 14060m bracelet. But I miss the sold construction of the new one.

I'm trying my best not to Monday morning quarterback this decision because, alas, it has been made and what's done is done. But I keep going back to boards and videos and reviews to put my mind at ease. I appreciate the many threads devoted to people's love of this reference. So just looking for a little positive reinforcement within this context (has anyone done the same thing of going from a contemporary to vintage piece and had the same initial experience?). I accept the bashing that may come here as well. This is the internet after all. But just go easy. We're all just looking to be loved in life, eh?

In the meantime, I'll be getting my watch into as much muck as humanly possible as I wait for that everlasting patina to come through! Surf's up!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 9.50.31 AM.png (151.7 KB, 654 views)
Metric30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2022, 12:15 AM   #2
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Yes entirely and I'll have a sportsman's bet than in 10 years the much larger Chubmariner you moved on will be less popular than say the 14060/16610 pieces, as fashion and style changes and the 'less is more' vibe gathers pace!
THE THE - Kingdom of Rain.
TuRo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2022, 12:58 AM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Unfortunately, I don't think we can put your mind at ease because it's entirely a matter of personal taste and it sounds very clearly that you preferred your previous watch. You will probably be happier if you replace it. In my experience, you need to go with your gut, you can't talk yourself into liking something that you don't like.

BTW, a 14060m is not even close to vintage for me.
Old 21 July 2022, 01:00 AM   #4
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
You can never go wrong with a 14060M.

Old 21 July 2022, 01:55 AM   #5
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508 & 9401
Agree with Dan. We can't convince you to like or dislike something. Also 14060m is definitely not vintage.
Juhuatai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2022, 02:16 AM   #6
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Many
And I’ll agree w Frank. That 14060M is not vintage. Older? Yes. Vintage? No way.
I hate to say it, but I think you made a mistake. If you like your previous watch that much, it seems you’re a modern Rolex guy. Stick with those.
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2022, 02:35 AM   #7
dbhak22
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: ♛
Firstly, I really like your approach and thinking towards this...anticipating/accepting "the bashing"..."This is the internet after all." haha, well said.

As others have already stated, really comes down to personal taste and it sounds like you actually like BOTH a lot whereas many of us have a strong preference towards ONE (for various reasons). Did you handle/experience the 14060 before doing the swap?

I happen to be in the 14060 > 114060/124060 camp so think you made the right decision, :)
Old 21 July 2022, 02:45 AM   #8
springer

Watch: GMT-MASTER
The 14060 is a classic. It is not vintage nor modern - after-all, it has been discontinued for several years. The 14060 is a classic indeed and a great watch.

I have one that I wear exclusively in the summer months due to the amount of water the watch comes in contact with daily. I prefer to wear mine on a rubber strap during the summer months with the black strap blending in very well with the black dial and bezel insert.

I have never warmed up to the newer"big block" ceramic models, so for me, trading your big block trade for the 14060 was a good move.

Enjoy the 14060.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2022, 03:14 AM   #9
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
What springer said. With the note that your SWISS MADE dial will not develop the extensive patina you likely imagine (like the one of tritium dials).
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2022, 06:39 AM   #10
IgCarr

Watch: 16800 16220 14270
I once asked a watch collector which piece was his favorite. His answer: The one I just bought.

Words to live by.
IgCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2022, 09:00 AM   #11
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
The 14060 is a classic. It is not vintage nor modern - after-all, it has been discontinued for several years. The 14060 is a classic indeed and a great watch.

I have one that I wear exclusively in the summer months due to the amount of water the watch comes in contact with daily. I prefer to wear mine on a rubber strap during the summer months with the black strap blending in very well with the black dial and bezel insert.

I have never warmed up to the newer"big block" ceramic models, so for me, trading your big block trade for the 14060 was a good move.

Enjoy the 14060.
100%!!
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2022, 09:14 AM   #12
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I have one that I wear exclusively in the summer months due to the amount of water the watch comes in contact with daily.
I have an N-serial 14060 for my rainy day watch.
Old 21 July 2022, 09:39 AM   #13
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Wonderful choice, OP, 14060 two liner carries the original Submariner's heritage, it's simplicity is outstanding.

On the other hand you seem to be "trendy", not a criticism at all, mind you, but on the long run you won't regret your true spirit over fashion decision.

Way to go!
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2022, 03:15 PM   #14
RFC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1968 5513 Sub
I prefer my 14060M 2 liner over the newer 124060 Sub for all the right reasons, just like you. As for missing a date, go for a 5 digit GMT Master, its even lighter and thinner than the M.
RFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2022, 06:59 PM   #15
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
If you know you really want something after it’s gone then that only confirms you should do what it takes to get it back.
I don’t have a 14060M but I do have a 16613 for the 2nd time after selling my original one to fund another purchase.
I wish you luck with going for what you already know you want.
Old 21 July 2022, 09:56 PM   #16
pk552502
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570 black
It could just be a case of "the grass is greener on the other side." I say keep the 14060 for a year and then you will know if you made the right choice.

For what it's worth, I much prefer the 14060 over the new models. I have a 1997 tritium model and I love it.
pk552502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 12:18 AM   #17
G3Z
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex etc..
I wouldn’t worry - maybe give it 12 months. The 14060m is only increasing in value, so your not on the back foot.
G3Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 12:28 AM   #18
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Many
Where did he go?
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 01:11 AM   #19
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Where did he go?
I hope not repenting at leisure, in-lieu of acting in haste !
Old 22 July 2022, 01:17 AM   #20
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

The 5-digit (and 114270) watches may not be considered vintage, yet, but, like the Porsche 993, they’ll be seen as the final renditions of the old Rolex way of doing things. The 14060 is infinitely cooler than a Sub-C, and, with its lighter weight, better to wear, too.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 02:18 AM   #21
Greglaw
Banned

Wouldn't be surprised if it was another

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
Where did he go?
"is it real" thread in disguise.
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2022, 02:39 AM   #22
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipćo View Post
Wonderful choice, OP, 14060 two liner carries the original Submariner's heritage, it's simplicity is outstanding.

On the other hand you seem to be "trendy", not a criticism at all, mind you, but on the long run you won't regret your true spirit over fashion decision.

Way to go!
Ridiculous to call a 126610 a fashion decision..."true spirit," indeed...
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2022, 03:35 AM   #23
Metric30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 82 16800 Mk3, P39
Thanks, everyone. I'm sorry~been a little crazy around here and I haven't had a chance to sit down a write a proper response. I was never looking to be convinced of anything, per se. I was looking for exactly what I received: personal anecdotes about obtaining this reference that could lend a little context to mine. I appreciate those of you who've expressed their love for it. I've also appreciated some stories about letting go of a particular reference only to obtain one again down the line. This is what we do as enthusiasts. We dive in, research meticulously, revisit decisions good and bad. Compare, compare, compare. Really, the only hard part for me is missing the bracelet. While I didn't always love the ceramic, it was hard to part with such a solid bracelet. Surely, that's something someone somewhere could sympathize with. Perfectly aware that the dial won't patina the same way at all. I am, however, looking forward to the wabi sabi bezel. This, after all, is going to be passed down. I'm not a collector looking to flip nor do I care so much about "value" from a monetary standpoint. The "value" the 126610 had was sentimental only in how I got it. I put my name on a list on a lark whilst shopping for a bracelet for a Tudor of mine. Month later, I got the call one was in. Truly it was the first bond I've ever had after 20 years of wearing a watch. But as time went on through the year, there were aspects to the piece that always felt out of place FOR ME. ME ONLY. This is not an attack on any of you who love the new models. Just felt like more of a statement watch. In my other interests in life, I appreciate the craft of years' past. I'll take a sloop from the 70's made in Bristol, RI over some modern monohull any day of the year. I'll take drum brakes and a finicky kickstart thank you very much over a push button ignition nod to the past. So why wouldn't I get myself into a piece that I can bang around only to have it look better!

Alas, I'm human after all. Can't help but lose myself in green grass over there sometimes.
Metric30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2022, 05:19 PM   #24
Mdpaint
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 gmt
I've had both. And I bought neo vintage after having ceramic. I went in really concerned I would hate the bracelet and honestly because I was so skeptical I wass actually pleasantly surprised. As soon as you have it on it blows away a modern one in terms of comfort. I think it feels more like it was made more by hand with less robots which I also appreciate more. Every modern sub is exactly the same and will always look the same

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Mdpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2022, 05:26 PM   #25
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric30 View Post
Thanks, everyone. I'm sorry~been a little crazy around here and I haven't had a chance to sit down a write a proper response. I was never looking to be convinced of anything, per se. I was looking for exactly what I received: personal anecdotes about obtaining this reference that could lend a little context to mine. I appreciate those of you who've expressed their love for it. I've also appreciated some stories about letting go of a particular reference only to obtain one again down the line. This is what we do as enthusiasts. We dive in, research meticulously, revisit decisions good and bad. Compare, compare, compare. Really, the only hard part for me is missing the bracelet. While I didn't always love the ceramic, it was hard to part with such a solid bracelet. Surely, that's something someone somewhere could sympathize with. Perfectly aware that the dial won't patina the same way at all. I am, however, looking forward to the wabi sabi bezel. This, after all, is going to be passed down. I'm not a collector looking to flip nor do I care so much about "value" from a monetary standpoint. The "value" the 126610 had was sentimental only in how I got it. I put my name on a list on a lark whilst shopping for a bracelet for a Tudor of mine. Month later, I got the call one was in. Truly it was the first bond I've ever had after 20 years of wearing a watch. But as time went on through the year, there were aspects to the piece that always felt out of place FOR ME. ME ONLY. This is not an attack on any of you who love the new models. Just felt like more of a statement watch. In my other interests in life, I appreciate the craft of years' past. I'll take a sloop from the 70's made in Bristol, RI over some modern monohull any day of the year. I'll take drum brakes and a finicky kickstart thank you very much over a push button ignition nod to the past. So why wouldn't I get myself into a piece that I can bang around only to have it look better!

Alas, I'm human after all. Can't help but lose myself in green grass over there sometimes.
You've nailed it ... If you'd take calipers over discs (racing bike) valves over electronics (amps), wood over GRP (boats) old period over a modern glass and steel (house) carbs over injectors (cars) a goldstar over a goldwing (bikes)..... you're predisposed to a vintage watch !
Old 23 July 2022, 09:49 PM   #26
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Great looking sub. Were I you, I would suspend judgment and just wear the watch for a good period of time. Make it part of your routine. Use it as intended, a bullet proof tool watch. In a few months or a year, you will know if it is a keeper for you.
Old 24 July 2022, 11:09 AM   #27
wappinghigh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14270 14060
Sit tight don't overthink it - Love my 14060 my favorite Rolex
wappinghigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2022, 01:03 PM   #28
Mk2rick
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedy Tuesday ST1
like what springer said.. you cant go wrong with a 14060 compared to the chubmariner..
Mk2rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2022, 01:33 PM   #29
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Bored?

Feel like a change in your dull life?

Overeating is not an option, though trendy nowadays!

What about a bracelet change?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018.05.19 IMG_6231.jpg (168.1 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpeg 2020.11.19.jpeg (81.4 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg 2022.01.14 a.jpg (181.0 KB, 260 views)
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2022, 01:46 PM   #30
RFC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1968 5513 Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldavidthorpe View Post
You've nailed it ... If you'd take calipers over discs (racing bike) valves over electronics (amps), wood over GRP (boats) old period over a modern glass and steel (house) carbs over injectors (cars) a goldstar over a goldwing (bikes)..... you're predisposed to a vintage watch !
Right. And, driving stick over auto as a daily, in traffic jams, in a naturally aspirated old school V8, well then, vintage fits perfectly.
RFC is offline   Reply With Quote