The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 23 July 2022, 01:46 PM   #1
MazOrd
"TRF" Member

G'day - Brand new to Rolex, what do I have?

G'day all,

Today I picked up my first, vintage, Rolex and would like to know what I have (I have zero knowledge about these watches). The back is engraved '1932' which seems to check out with the serial number.

It has a lot of extremely small engraving on the inside - I can see C1886D/E, 21487, C15049WH, 2354H, C5476W, C7675E, AT467K and 11072 with a few I can't make out - no idea what these numbers/serials are supposed to represent!

Appreciate if anyone can tell me what I have- model, anything else of interest. Going to have it serviced, with the intent of giving it to the wife as a present. Thanks for looking, and look forward to finding out more about what I've picked up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R1.jpg (185.3 KB, 442 views)
File Type: jpg R2.jpg (228.6 KB, 441 views)
File Type: jpg R4.jpg (182.7 KB, 440 views)
File Type: jpg R5.jpg (35.8 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg R8.jpg (37.5 KB, 428 views)
File Type: jpg R6.jpg (54.8 KB, 427 views)
File Type: jpg R7.jpg (34.6 KB, 433 views)
File Type: jpg R9.jpg (44.0 KB, 427 views)
File Type: jpg R10.jpg (41.2 KB, 431 views)
MazOrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2022, 07:13 PM   #2
zapokee
"TRF" Member

I know nothing of these old cocktail watches, but the font on those dial numbers is superb.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2022, 09:42 PM   #3
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Welcome to the forum.

Nice cocktail watch.
Old 23 July 2022, 09:48 PM   #4
1William
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Welcome.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2022, 10:01 PM   #5
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum and congratulations

I hope that one of the more knowledgeable members here can assist.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2022, 10:29 PM   #6
Mark020
"TRF" Member

The hand inscribed numbers are old watch maker service marks
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2022, 05:55 AM   #7
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

What a thing of beauty!!
L.K Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2022, 06:30 AM   #8
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
Congratulations!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2022, 06:34 AM   #9
Stan Cooper

Watch: GMT-Master II
I believe that's earlier than 1932; the 41558 on the case is the case number, not the watch's serial number. The "9C" mark on the case shows, I believe, that the case is 9 carat gold.

The movement appears to be an early Aegler Rebberg, a Swiss manufacturer who made movements for Wilsdorf & Davis which became Rolex, as well as U.S. watch company Gruen and other manufacturers. Aegler eventually became part of Rolex.

There should be some hallmarks stamped in the case that would help date it. You have a gorgeous watch, but because it likely predates balance jewel shock resistant inventions like Incabloc, you need to take care not to subject it to dropping or accidentally hitting it on something.

This is my 1915 Rolex trench watch in a sterling silver hinged case.

Notice the case hallmarks.

♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite, Seiko SSC813 quartz solar powered chronograph
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2022, 02:34 AM   #10
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Cooper View Post
I believe that's earlier than 1932; the 41558 on the case is the case number, not the watch's serial number. The "9C" mark on the case shows, I believe, that the case is 9 carat gold.

The movement appears to be an early Aegler Rebberg, a Swiss manufacturer who made movements for Wilsdorf & Davis which became Rolex, as well as U.S. watch company Gruen and other manufacturers. Aegler eventually became part of Rolex.

There should be some hallmarks stamped in the case that would help date it. You have a gorgeous watch, but because it likely predates balance jewel shock resistant inventions like Incabloc, you need to take care not to subject it to dropping or accidentally hitting it on something.

Notice the case hallmarks.

Nice Stan.
Old 26 July 2022, 02:17 PM   #11
MazOrd
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Stan Cooper;12287757]I believe that's earlier than 1932; the 41558 on the case is the case number, not the watch's serial number. The "9C" mark on the case shows, I believe, that the case is 9 carat gold.

Thanks for the info mate- really appreciated, and you have quite the watch there! Is there somewhere else on the movement where a serial number would be, if the one on the case is not the one for the watch? Really just trying to date it, and see if it has a model name etc. I'll get some pics of the hallmarks on the case when I get home today
MazOrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2022, 11:36 PM   #12
Stan Cooper

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazOrd View Post
Thanks for the info mate- really appreciated, and you have quite the watch there! Is there somewhere else on the movement where a serial number would be, if the one on the case is not the one for the watch? Really just trying to date it, and see if it has a model name etc. I'll get some pics of the hallmarks on the case when I get home today
I'm not sure it's a serial number, but on the dial side of the movement there is a number, 7153, and the word "REBBERG" indicating it's an Aegler Rebberg movement which were produced from 1902 to 1927. The Rebberg movement was replaced by the improved Hunter movement which looked similar.

"7153" seems like a low number for a serial number to me, but pure speculation on my part, they may have used the same serial numbers on different size movements. Mine is 13 Ligne in size.

Some information on hallmarks are on David Boettcher's website:
https://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/swisshallmarks.php
and
https://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/casemarks.php

♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite, Seiko SSC813 quartz solar powered chronograph
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote