The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 July 2022, 05:48 AM   #1
outer_space19
"TRF" Member

Vintage Rolex Datejust...should I buy

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and know next to nothing about watches. I am interested in purchasing this Rolex Datejust for 4500 Euro from a local watch seller on a US Navy Base, however, I would like to know if I'm getting a good deal or not. Can you all please help me out? I'm really worried about buying a fake watch and wanted to know if any of you see any warning signs from these photos. Also, I don't know what further questions to ask him to verify that the Rolex is indeed authentic. I have done some research but honestly in regards to Rolex Datejust the information is overwhelming. He said that the watch is from the 1980's and that's pretty much all the information i know. Thanks in advance, and if there's anything I can clarify let me know. spb
outer_space19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2022, 11:38 AM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Looks ok, but a bit too expensive IMO. The market is currently soft on vintage DJs, and this is the most common variant. And it's quite likely that you may have to put another $500 or so into it for a service.

The watch is not from the 80s, it's from the 70s, so the seller apparently doesn't know much about it. It appears to be a sigma-dial ref 1601 based on the pie-pan dial and folded-link bracelet. Ask to see the engravings between the lugs on both top and bottom. Dealbreaker if the seller won't do that. If he can open it, ask to see the movement and the engravings inside the caseback. He probably won't do the latter, which means you need to build a little risk into the purchase.
Old 27 July 2022, 11:45 AM   #3
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
A classic.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2022, 01:46 PM   #4
baumare
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675/8
I can see a sticker on the case back and in one photo is visible the “Rolex Service Center” card, so maybe the watch was recently service by Rolex and it come with a warranty card, the card should report the serial number between the lugs.
You should ask the seller if this is the case and have him send you photos, that could be the reason for a higher price…
baumare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2022, 01:52 PM   #5
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Those look like replacement hands, as the lume is much lighter than the dial plots. Not necessarily an issue, but purists prefer original hands.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2022, 02:59 PM   #6
Nick9
"TRF" Member

That’s a good looking watch with a nice dial, as noted above. Classic.

You could ask the seller for a picture that shows the amount of stretch in the bracelet.

As Dan S has pointed out, the asking price is quite high. I’d expect somewhere nearer €3600, plus or minus. Maybe somewhat more if it has a recent Rolex service.
Nick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2022, 05:08 PM   #7
Chris
"TRF" Member

Nice dj from the 70s, bracelet looks like it might have some stretch, it would be good if you could get the back off. Price wise from a retailer £3.2- £3.5k.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2022, 11:04 PM   #8
outer_space19
"TRF" Member

Wow everyone! Thank you so much for the responses...they are all very helpful. I will definitely be getting more information regarding last service, warranty, and engravings between the lugs.

This forum is definitely a lifesaver, I spent 2 weeks searching for information that you all just provided in a matter of hours...greatly appreciated!
Old 28 July 2022, 12:02 AM   #9
outer_space19
"TRF" Member

Updated Information

Rolex gurus...

I messaged with the dealer asking the questions that were recommended in the previous part of this post and he sent me quite a few photos...the watch was last serviced in 2015 by Rolex and I think last year by another dealer (see picture) in Torino, Italy, and he said the hands are original. He told me the price is a little higher due to the "sigma dial" and the Rolex servicing...the warranty is finished but he took off the case back to show me the mechanism...I don't know what I should be looking for but the watch looks great. Any input is welcome...TIA
Old 28 July 2022, 12:20 AM   #10
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Nice-looking DJ from about 1973. Fairly certain the seller is mistaken about those hands. They've been replaced at some point. That's an issue for some buyers, not for others. If I'm paying this much for a vintage DJ, I'd want matching patina, but maybe that's just me.

Also, something looks odd about the date wheel and/or cyclops. Several of the photos show unusual distortion and super thick font. I wonder it it's an aftermarket crystal or just an optical illusion because of the lighting in the photos.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2022, 01:16 AM   #11
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I agree that the hands are luminova replacements and the bright white lume clashes with the nice yellow aged lume on the dial. That doesn’t appeal to me personally.
Old 28 July 2022, 01:32 AM   #12
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Original datewheel and crown and folded link bracelet, and reverser wheels in the movt .....but definitely service hands and after mkt plexi I suspect.
£3,350-3,450 price in UK as it sits my opinion.
THE THE - Kingdom of Rain.
TuRo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2022, 05:45 AM   #13
StanGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Nice-looking DJ from about 1973. Fairly certain the seller is mistaken about those hands. They've been replaced at some point. That's an issue for some buyers, not for others. If I'm paying this much for a vintage DJ, I'd want matching patina, but maybe that's just me.

Also, something looks odd about the date wheel and/or cyclops. Several of the photos show unusual distortion and super thick font. I wonder it it's an aftermarket crystal or just an optical illusion because of the lighting in the photos.
I didn't know if it was just me, but I agree that there's something not right about the date wheel/cyclops. It might just be the optical quality of the cyclops, but I've not seen anything like it before and it would make me question the authenticity of these components.

Stan.
StanGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2022, 05:47 AM   #14
Nick9
"TRF" Member

OP, lots of good comments for you to consider.

Replacing the crystal is easy and not expensive, and whether the replaced hands bug you is up to you. For me, those would just be some thing to consider in pricing/value.

The seller should be able to see that something is off with the crystal or the datewheel. Given that it needs a little work, I continue to see the asking price as steep.

Other than that, it’s definitely a watch worth owning.
Nick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2022, 06:00 AM   #15
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Good looking watch and seems to have been taken care of.

Classic. I expect that the vendor knows what the market is in your area, but you could check some sources with Rolex for sale to make sure that the price is in the ball park.

If it is a Navy approved vendor, then they would likely take care of any issues you may have after purchase.
Old 28 July 2022, 10:00 AM   #16
springer
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
For me, it appears to be a nice watch. It is in the ballpark as far as price goes $4600 (4500 Euro), especially from a dealer. For me, the hands are inconsequential as far as being luminova and a very easy item to replace, or relume with non glowing material if they are in fact luminova.

I purchased a very nice "pie pan" Datejust about a year ago and the pricing then for a decent example in the USA was around $4200 to $5,000 based on condition.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2022, 01:45 AM   #17
outer_space19
"TRF" Member

Thank you all VERY MUCH for the help!