The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 August 2024, 12:02 PM   #1
Deroya
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub/Explorer
Do your dd! Even with trusted rolex botiques ! Almost lost $32k.

Bottom line up front – The actual trusted boutique in question here (BODYBUMP aka Oscar/International Watch Vault) did NOT attempt to scam me.

Posting in 2 forums sections for awareness (general and watchout) as this is very serious.

I am still in a bit of shock since this happened last week but have taken time to reflect. I am a 10-year TRF member, bought and sold on here many times. I decided to sell a few of my personal watches as of late, and took it to TRF to post them, but also reach out to some trusted dealers listed as “boutiques” to see what they would offer for quick sale. I wrote a canned email with info on all my pieces to all of them. “Bodybump” was one of the several, who appeared to be a HIGHLY trusted seller on TRF as well as a heavy social media presence and active store. (Still listed as a boutique today).

I emailed the email on his most recent posting, but also the SAME email that matched his IG/FB business accounts. I was responded to normally with fair dealer prices to which I decided to move forward with. We agreed on a deal via email for him to buy 3 watches for $32.5K and I told him to text me to move forward with the label etc.

I boxed up the watches, and prepared them for shipment and before I sent the invoice for the label, I decided to do some extra DD. Regardless the fact he emailed me from his real account, and he was an established TD on TRF. It was here some things started to not add up. The biggest catch I had was the phone number he was texting me on was different than what was listed on his ad/social media pages, I would not have caught this if the area codes were the same. Further digging revealed his state for shipping was different than what I matched his business to.

I asked this person texting me, why is the # different? And they stated that was a business phone # and he was texting me on his personal line. I asked him to text me from the business phone to verify this and he stalled/diverted the conversation.

I then texted the business #, and the REAL Oscar verifies it was NOT him the whole time and his email must have been hacked? We exchanged a dozen or so emails over 2-3 days on his REAL business email account and the scammer I guess deleted everything in and out? The scammer also texted me fake drivers license info. I can share screenshots of all of it for anyone interested. I notified mods on the forum immediately and the dealer himself who apologized and said he would work out the hacking problem.

Regardless--- This SMALL detail prevented me from taking a $32.5K loss. The real Oscar seems awesome, but please….TRIPLE check everything, even if they are trusted “boutiques”. Do anything you can to ensure you are dealing with the actual dealer, because this would have been a catastrophic loss for me, and I would hate to hear it happened to someone else.

Stay safe out there.
Deroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 12:08 PM   #2
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Deleted
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 12:31 PM   #3
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

Wow. I am so happy this worked out for you. I think this is one of the benefits of know what a dealer sounds like so you can know when you talk on the phone. Guys like Tim at Fog City have an instagram where you know its Tim. I think its a scary world out there and the extra effort can really make the difference. Thanks for sharing OP.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 12:32 PM   #4
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Whoa. That is a nasty story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 12:44 PM   #5
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Thanks for posting to alert others to be careful who you deal with. But if it was me I would never be handling over something with so much value to effectively someone I don’t know without meeting them. Hindsight is a great thing in situations like this and it’s a worry to know people are out there looking to rip people off given half a chance.
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 12:50 PM   #6
Deroya

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996marty View Post
Thanks for posting to alert others to be careful who you deal with. But if it was me I would never be handling over something with so much value to effectively someone I don’t know without meeting them. Hindsight is a great thing in situations like this and it’s a worry to know people are out there looking to rip people off given half a chance.

While I understand what you’re saying, this wasn’t some random user on this forum. This was via email to a TRUSTED boutique to which TRF promotes as such… One of the 8 or so listed?

It is a well known fact you can deal with them in confidence since I’ve been using this forum. Many people front watches to these dealers and when they receive the watches, they wire funds after inspection.

Old 4 August 2024, 01:34 PM   #7
Andad

Watch: A few.
Have you reported this to the mods?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 02:13 PM   #8
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

I have only sold a few things on here, but I have had multiple emails and PMs trying to 'phish' me, and multiple attempted logins to my email. It's why 2FA on everything is very important - and even then it sounds like they can find a way to just intercept your email from time to time... Always be careful.
Old 4 August 2024, 02:21 PM   #9
thegrandseirolexguy
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing this incident with us. Glad you dodged a bullet there.

A timely reminder of the importance of doing due diligence.

thegrandseirolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 02:38 PM   #10
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Thank you for posting, glad you were able to avoid a potentially painful scam.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 03:07 PM   #11
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Have you reported this to the mods?

Yes - that was mentioned in the narrative.

This is puzzling because if Oscar's email was hacked, then there must be many more people in peril.

The OP goes into detail, but the best due diligence is for the seller to have 2FA enabled and use PMs as a secure measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 03:53 PM   #12
hojlund
"TRF" Member

there are always risks of buying fake, or losing money trading with a grey dealer. buy your watch from an AD is the only safe way to go, and brings you peace of mind.
hojlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 03:55 PM   #13
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hojlund View Post
there are always risks of buying fake, or losing money trading with a grey dealer. buy your watch from an AD is the only safe way to go, and brings you peace of mind.

Someone on here almost got done by a fake invoice scam by an AD in the UK.

Old 4 August 2024, 03:55 PM   #14
Torshalla
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing. And glad you avoided a nightmare

Torshalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 03:57 PM   #15
rajurama
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
Thanks for sharing these phishing scams are here to stay and will get even more sophisticated, we must be vigilant in anything and everything online specially where $$$ is involved.
Old 4 August 2024, 04:20 PM   #16
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Wow! A bizarre case of impersonation where the scammer had covertly gained access to the real persons email.

I am glad your spider senses kicked in OP.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 04:28 PM   #17
Carguy87

Watch: JC 126660
Scary; glad it all ended ok!
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 04:29 PM   #18
Son Goku
"TRF" Member

Really happy this worked out for you and thank you for sharing to raise awareness!
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 04:36 PM   #19
Bladeshot

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
These are sophisticated scammers. Glad you figured it out in time!

Just another WIS who loves to trade.
@bladeandwatch1 on IG
Old 4 August 2024, 06:00 PM   #20
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: SEIKO TUNA
From what I can see, Bodybump doesn't use his Boutique space and hasn't listed any watches for sale here since March 2020.
Old 4 August 2024, 06:09 PM   #21
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
From what I can see, Bodybump doesn't use his Boutique space and hasn't listed any watches for sale here since March 2020.
Have to agree Adam and its always up to the buyer to research any sale to anyone on forum or retail shop before parting with his/her money so all buyers be fully aware.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 06:23 PM   #22
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Which is why Rolex CPO is not going away
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 07:22 PM   #23
Andad

Watch: A few.
Old age Paul.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 08:48 PM   #24
Deroya

Quote:

You are correct, something I didn’t notice at first… again though… he’s still listed as a “boutique” though inactive for several years, and the email I contacted him on matches his profile on here and elsewhere he does business.

Not sure why his boutique is still listed as active on here if he hasn’t sold on here specifically in a while.

Old 4 August 2024, 08:54 PM   #25
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: SEIKO TUNA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deroya View Post
You are correct, something I didn’t notice at first… again though… he’s still listed as a “boutique” though inactive for several years, and the email I contacted him on matches his profile on here and elsewhere he does business.

Not sure why his boutique is still listed as active on here if he hasn’t sold on here specifically in a while.

You'd have to ask Steve (Lol-x), as mods don't deal with the Boutique listings and who gets to list there. Maybe send him a PM.

Just FYI, I merged both your threads into one (here) and left a permanent redirect to it in the Watchout section.
Old 4 August 2024, 08:54 PM   #26
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Geepers, that’s crazy. I could’ve easily fell for that had I been in your shoes. Glad you averted the scam OP

I’ve only ever done face to face transactions except for one purchased through a gray dealer here.

Although face to face has its drawbacks, I think I’ll continue that way if it’s a watch I can’t get from an AD.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 08:56 PM   #27
77T

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree Adam and its always up to the buyer to research any sale to anyone on forum or retail shop before parting with his/her money so all buyers be fully aware.
Yes - I agree guys. An aspect I didn't elaborate upon adequately is worth repeating...

The OP reached out to Oscar using email and also used text messaging. The OP wanted to sell some watches.

So the entire episode happened outside of the TRF realm. Then, when the alleged ruse by the scammer fizzled it was reported here.

Nobody can PM Oscar via TRF because his mailbox is full. The 64,000 dollar question is whether Boutiques that are idle for years, as well as their listings, should be eliminated to avoid such situations.

Oscar's been a tremendous supporter of TRF so this isn't any slam against him. Just a question we hadn't thought about perhaps.

PS: Oscar hasn't been active on any FB/IG sales platform since May 29th -

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 08:59 PM   #28
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexPatekCartier
Lucky! Glad you did all the right checking.

There are only a couple of trusted dealers here that i “trust” from experience.

Sometimes a lower offer from a 100% checked dealer is bet.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 09:00 PM   #29
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Wow, great catch OP! Glad you discovered the anomaly.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2024, 09:07 PM   #30
Deroya

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Yes - I agree guys. An aspect I didn't elaborate upon adequately is worth repeating...

The OP reached out to Oscar using email and also used text messaging. The OP wanted to sell some watches.

So the entire episode happened outside of the TRF realm. Then, when the alleged ruse by the scammer fizzled it was reported here.

Nobody can PM Oscar via TRF because his mailbox is full. The 64,000 dollar question is whether Boutiques that are idle for years, as well as their listings, should be eliminated to avoid such situations.

Oscar's been a tremendous supporter of TRF so this isn't any slam against him. Just a question we hadn't thought about perhaps.

PS: Oscar hasn't been active on any FB/IG sales platform since May 29th -

It started here on TRF, I found his boutique on here and emailed him via the info listed on here.