The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 July 2006, 05:56 AM   #1
sub2004
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona
Icon20 Owning both ss sub and sd

Hi friends

May i have some advice from those of us who have had the pleasure of owning both the ss sub and the sea dweller.

Specifically:

1. Why did you get both, or one after the other?

2. What is the wearing rotation like?

3. Does it feel different wearing each or do you sometimes have to look at your wrist to know which you are wearing? i.e. they both wear the same?

4.Is it "worth" getting/owning both sd and ss sub?

5. When you wear the one, do you miss the other?

My Perspective:

I have a ss sub. Its my only rollie. I usually manage to stay off the cravings as i have a bigger addiction of guitar collecting. But lately i have been itching for either a sd, gmt/exp11 or panny.

I have an affinity for the sd as it was the watch i initially agonised over in comparison to the ss sub. Therefore i still have residual want feelings for that watch.

I am keen on a daytona but they are much more easier to find at my ad at my home in the Fiji Islands as opposed to New Zealand. In Fiji a ss daytona is 15k fijian dollars which is about 6-7k US i believe.

In the end as a wis i dont think i can "rationalise" or "justify" the purchase. As we all know its no point explaining this to outsiders.

Any help with the sea dweller is appreciated. I guess the best way would be to keep looking and trying them on until my heart settles. I just feel like i need the sea dweller.... sounds weird
sub2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2006, 06:01 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hi Don,

I loved the SD for the flat crystal look and heft, but started to miss the cyclops.

Since you already have the Ultimate, Quintessential Rolex, then why not go in for a nice contrast - a white dial Exp-II. Practical too for travelling, etc. with its dual timezone feature. Just a thought!!

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2006, 06:04 AM   #3
Spencer
"TRF" Member

To each his own, but to me I'd rather have a Sub and a GMT.

Resident Audemars Piguet Fanatic
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2006, 06:06 AM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
To each his own, but to me I'd rather have a Sub and a GMT.
Fair enough, but personally I'd never have BOTH - the Sub-date and SD. Just too damn similar in looks and virtually everything else!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 23 July 2006, 06:33 AM   #5
sub2004
"TRF" Member

Yes i have been eyeing the white dial exp ii. I like it but the little voice in my head says i need the sea dweller.

I also want to be a 2 watch guy. So this hopefully will be my last.
Old 23 July 2006, 06:38 AM   #6
viper
"TRF" Member

you'll be a 2 watch guy until a 3rd catches your eye

go with your initial interest in the SD, i have a feeling if you go with anything else the SD will make you a 3 watch guy in the long run
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2006, 07:05 AM   #7
watchdrummer
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT YM TT Sub TT Da
JJ. How about a Yacht-Master and Sub? I have the former and hope to get the Sub soon. Hey Viper ,nice car. I have a GTS and SRT (sold my RT)
watchdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2006, 07:46 AM   #8
mike
"TRF" Member

Oh boy.... I hope I don't offend anybody here, but here goes.

I have those watches. From a practical standpoint I don't think there's much difference between the Sub and the SD. Both are strong reliable watches that will serve you well. Both use the 3135 movement. I don't think one is stronger than the other.
I sometimes think there's a myth that a watch with a deeper depth rating is somehow stronger.
The Sub sits a bit lower on the wrist. It has the Rolex trademark cyclops. I dare say when someone mentions Rolex more times than not it's the watch that springs to mind.
The SD is a bit taller watch on the wrist. It is a heavier watch, and because of the lack of a cyclops, in my view, presents a more business like utilitarian apperance. I find the SD moves a bit more on my wrist and therefore is not quite as comfortable.
Both have a long and storied history. From a practical and comfort standpoint limited to one or the other I would prefer the Submariner.

The GMT-MASTER II and the EXP II are both multi-time zone pieces although designed for different purposes. The GMT is the more versatile of the two because of the rotatable bexel. The white EXP II allows a versatility of look that can be refreshing. Both use the 3185 movement.

If it were me, I would prefer versatility of FUNCTION in a battery of watches designed with a tool watch concept in mind.

My vote would be the Sub/Date and the GMT II. The GMT allows the added feature of changing the bezel insert for added versatility.

Indeed these are the two that for me see the most use.

mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2006, 10:36 AM   #9
viper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdrummer View Post
JJ. How about a Yacht-Master and Sub? I have the former and hope to get the Sub soon. Hey Viper ,nice car. I have a GTS and SRT (sold my RT)
thanks. i had a 94 RT/10 before too.
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2006, 02:37 PM   #10
betrezra
"TRF" Member

$$

I have both in addition to a vintage Sub (1680) and vintage GMT (1675) and I love them all.

I appreciate and enjoy the differences between my SD and my SS Sub. You must hold/wear/enjoy each on a daily basis to understand.

You must also include a vintage 1680 sub in that line-up!!!! You'll love the chic fat crystal :)

Guitar collector here also...... 79 SB LP, 77 Strat, 69 Strat, several old USA Deans :)....... Love the guitars.

Cheers,
Jeff
betrezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2006, 03:51 PM   #11
sub2004
"TRF" Member

Hi all

Thanks for the detail description. Yes that extra 24hr hand on the exp ii and gmt ii is mighty tempting.

Jeff: i currently have a gibson les paul standard plus and a paul reed smith. Both kick. I'm on the hunt for the perfect stratocaster.
Old 23 July 2006, 06:45 PM   #12
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Hi Don,

If you really want to be just a TWO watch guy like me, then you do need something completely different from your present Sub-Date.

So I think it should either be an Exp-II or I could suggest a beautiful YM SS/Pt. or perhaps a TT Daytona. Mansor's can do good deals on any of these models, I'm sure of that.

Good luck with your final decision - JJ

Old 25 July 2006, 03:47 AM   #13
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Watch: Isn't it obvious?
I have both. Actually, I have FOUR Subs, but only one SD. I bought the SD when I retired my original SS Sub as my daily beater.

If I could have only one, it would be the SS Sub. I like it better because it sits lower on my wrist, it's lighter and the cyclops is helpful. When I wear the SD, it's usually only for a day or two, then I switch to a GMT-II, a Sub or one of the lighter sports models.

Then again, I would encourage you to own an SD because it's really a great watch. The SD and Sub are different enough that they each have their own appeal, and the SD is more rare. Sometimes I prefer it to the Sub and sometimes I don't.
Old 25 July 2006, 04:33 AM   #14
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subfiend View Post
I have both. Actually, I have FOUR Subs, but only one SD. I bought the SD when I retired my original SS Sub as my daily beater.

If I could have only one, it would be the SS Sub. I like it better because it sits lower on my wrist, it's lighter and the cyclops is helpful. When I wear the SD, it's usually only for a day or two, then I switch to a GMT-II, a Sub or one of the lighter sports models.

Then again, I would encourage you to own an SD because it's really a great watch. The SD and Sub are different enough that they each have their own appeal, and the SD is more rare. Sometimes I prefer it to the Sub and sometimes I don't.
There's a perfectly vague, spot-on reply!!

Old 25 July 2006, 05:03 AM   #15
morgman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by betrezra View Post
I have both in addition to a vintage Sub (1680) and vintage GMT (1675) and I love them all.

I appreciate and enjoy the differences between my SD and my SS Sub. You must hold/wear/enjoy each on a daily basis to understand.

You must also include a vintage 1680 sub in that line-up!!!! You'll love the chic fat crystal :)

Guitar collector here also...... 79 SB LP, 77 Strat, 69 Strat, several old USA Deans :)....... Love the guitars.

Cheers,
Jeff

LOL!! that is funny...guitar gear here too...just got my first Sub (non-date), and am planning on getting a SD at some point here. Just got a jimmy page les paul, love that thing, need to sell other guitars and amps and stuff to finance this!
morgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2006, 07:12 AM   #16
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
There's a perfectly vague, spot-on reply!!
As a guitar collector, I am sure Sub2004 will understand my subjective and meandering response. Until last week, I owned 9 Gibson Les Paul guitars. I sold one of my two 1954 Les Paul Juniors, but only because I still had one to keep, so now I only have 8 to play.

Sometimes I feel like playing a Les Paul with humbuckers, and other times I feel like playing a Les Paul with P-90s. Other times I feel like playing a Junior, or a Tele, or a PRS McCarty. But I enjoy owning all of them. It's the same with watches. Sometimes the Sub feels better than the SD, and sometimes it doesn't. Other days are just perfect for the white dial Ex II or GMT-II.

But after all these years of collecting both, I have decided there is just no place in my life for Stratocasters and DJs. I sold my DJ a few months ago, and I am putting my Stratocaster on the block too. I tried to like both of them, but they were just taking up space in my closet.

If I could only have one watch and one guitar, I would have a SS Sub and a Tele, because that's where it all began. I coveted both for years, and for good reason. The SD would be like my first Les Paul. I would miss it, but I could survive without it as long as I had my Telecaster. The same goes for my Sub.
Old 25 July 2006, 08:44 AM   #17
watchdrummer
"TRF" Member

Watches, guitars, cars-this is all an illness.Until last week I had 4 sets of drums--a vintage Ludwig set I have had since the 60s', 2 Yamaha sets and a Gretsch. i sold all but the Ludwig and Gretsch. I had 3 Vipers--one for each body style, AND C5 and C6 Vettes. Sold all but the newest Viper (but did add a Caddy XLR) Now i get on this site and get a TT YM and am close to getting a Sub any day---just when I think I am cured.....
Old 25 July 2006, 11:29 AM   #18
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Watches, guitars, cars-this is all an illness.Until last week I had 4 sets of drums--a vintage Ludwig set I have had since the 60s', 2 Yamaha sets and a Gretsch. i sold all but the Ludwig and Gretsch. I had 3 Vipers--one for each body style, AND C5 and C6 Vettes. Sold all but the newest Viper (but did add a Caddy XLR) Now i get on this site and get a TT YM and am close to getting a Sub any day---just when I think I am cured.....
Didn't you know there is no cure for these addictions. That's why we're all here. It's a misery loves company support group.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2006, 11:47 AM   #19
betrezra
"TRF" Member

Cars, Guitars, Watches :)

Wow I AM in good company here :)

Cars the stable: z06, 66 stang.... and two other daily drivers :)

Guitars: 79 Silverburst LP Custom, 77 Strat, 69 Strat, +/-17 Vintage USA Deans (Z, V, ML, Caddi's), and 1 HUGE DEAN USA BASS!!!!

Watches: SS Sub, 1680 Sub, 1675 GMT, SD.
Wife's watches: SS Sub, GMT II, Lady Datejust.
------------------
It all started for me on my 69 strat so if I had to have only 1 it would be the 69 stratocaster.

If I could only have one watch... it would be the Seadweller...... just because it's more utilitarian and not everyone has one ;)

If I could only have one car...... it will eventually be a 69 GTO Judge RAIII or RAIV numbers matching..... these cars are going up up UP now...... I need to get in before they're >100K!!! lol!

Good Times my Rolex Brothers and Sisters
Old 26 July 2006, 02:56 AM   #20
morgman
"TRF" Member

I find that I actually try not to collect stuff, especially guitar stuff. If I have more than two of anything, it's because I'm too lazy to sell the stuff that I'm not playing anymore. I have 2 great amps and 3 guitars that are all collecting dust at the moment. Usually I feel that one one main item and one backup item will suffice.

Of course, watches may be different and I may want to hoard them
morgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2006, 03:30 AM   #21
betrezra
"TRF" Member

$

I enjoy collecting guitars..... they've done MUCH better than my stock-picks.... plus no cap gains ;)

I usually look for beat guitars with lots of un-tapped potential... failed electronics, missing hardware, etc..... and rebuild them back to their orig glory.... replace missing parts, clean/dress the frets, buff/polish the body, do a proper set-up on the neck/bridge..... play it for a couple years and sell when I get the urge... and repeat the process over and over...... I only keep the special ones.

Plus you can't play a GE stock cert :)
Old 26 July 2006, 04:07 AM   #22
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

"If I could only have one car...... it will eventually be a 69 GTO Judge RAIII or RAIV numbers matching..... these cars are going up up UP now...... I need to get in before they're >100K!!! lol!"

I think you're too late. I have two clients who each own '69 Chevelles, one is a hardtop and one is a convertible. I think they have surpassed the $100,000 mark, especially the convertible.

I can't play in that league. I have to be content with watches and guitars that cost less than $5,000. In fact, I paid under $2,000 for most of my stuff.

Guitars: '54 Les Paul Jr., '58 LP Special, '73 LP Custom, '77 Guild D-40, '54 RI LP Goldtop, '56 RI LP Goldtop, '57 RI LP Goldtop with Bigsby (aged by Tom Murphy), '60 RI LP Classic, '52 RI Tele, '62 RI Strat, PRS McCarty, Fender P-Bass.

Watches: '43 Chronographe Suisse two register chrono with pink gold case, '55 Rolex Oyster 6565 with silver Explorer dial, '58 Explorer with gold case and champagne honeycomb dial, '63 GMT 1675 with gilt dial, '65 Sub 5512 with gilt dial, '65 Speedy 105-003, '66 Sub 5513 with gilt dial, '66 Speedy 105-012, '91 SS Sub, '99 Speedy, '02 TT Blue Sub, '04 GMT-II, '05 Ex II with white dial and caseback engraved by Rolex, '05 SD engraved by Rolex, '05 SS Daytona with white dial.

I just sold my '68 Heuer Autavia chrono, pending receipt of funds. My other '54 LP Junior was sold last week. The Strat is in the dog house.
Old 26 July 2006, 04:47 AM   #23
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subfiend View Post

Watches: '43 Chronographe Suisse two register chrono with pink gold case, '55 Rolex Oyster 6565 with silver Explorer dial, '58 Explorer with gold case and champagne honeycomb dial, '63 GMT 1675 with gilt dial, '65 Sub 5512 with gilt dial, '65 Speedy 105-003, '66 Sub 5513 with gilt dial, '66 Speedy 105-012, '91 SS Sub, '99 Speedy, '02 TT Blue Sub, '04 GMT-II, '05 Ex II with white dial and caseback engraved by Rolex, '05 SD engraved by Rolex, '05 SS Daytona with white dial.
WOW!! Simply awesome!!!!!
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2006, 05:55 AM   #24
betrezra
"TRF" Member

$$

Wow you guys have nice taste :)

I'm not in the $100K muscle car league either. I'm looking for the barn-fresh numbers matching Judge for $10K ;) :) :)
Old 26 July 2006, 06:52 AM   #25
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by betrezra View Post
Wow you guys have nice taste :)

I'm not in the $100K muscle car league either. I'm looking for the barn-fresh numbers matching Judge for $10K ;) :) :)
When you find it, check the glove box. With that kind of luck, it should have that nights winning lotto numbers written down inside
Old 26 July 2006, 07:00 AM   #26
watchdrummer
"TRF" Member

I don't get the whole muscle car thing. Barrett-Jackson and others have really inflated the values. In truth, most of these cars were made like crap and drove that way new (I am old enough to have driven some new) and drive even worse now. I like new Vipers/Vettes and other modern fast cars that are much faster than the older cars , handle 50X better, etc By contrast some classic guitars/drums play and sound great.
Old 26 July 2006, 10:43 AM   #27
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Guitar collectors >>

Sorry to hijack this thread but I wonder if any of you guitar collectors have heard of an SD Curlee guitar? Leon Russell's bass player had one as many musicians did at one time. I knew Randy Curlee, he passed away last year. =) maverick
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2006, 11:23 AM   #28
betrezra
"TRF" Member

Muscle

The muscle car thing is a combination of things:

1. Since I was old enough to play with hotwheels I've always dreamed of owning a GTO Judge.
2. I'm finally old enough to have the scratch to possibly land one..... (if I find the right deal)..... see barn-find :) :) :)
3. For many maturing males from the 60's/70's..... it represents all that is fading today....... old school muscle cars from a simpler time..... 8-track radio, reverberator center rear speaker for that 60's surround effect, RAIII or RAIV motor with cable pull mechanism under dash that remotely activates the ram-air scoop on the hood..... lighted hood tack.... Munci M-21 performance 4 speed trans with hurst shifter..... man oh man!!!!!!
4. Investment - having just been discovered by the collectors the 68/69 judges are climbing like nuts...... this will be the next SS Chevell or Shelby in the next few years garnering upward of 6 figures...... A clean Judge can be had today for 45-75K....... and it will only go up up up.

I guess I've said enough about this subject eh :)
Old 27 July 2006, 01:13 AM   #29
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
WOW!! Simply awesome!!!!!
Thanks. It took me a while to refine my collection, but I have settled in to the sports models and icons.
Old 27 July 2006, 01:48 PM   #30
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Hi Don,

I loved the SD for the flat crystal look and heft, but started to miss the cyclops.

Since you already have the Ultimate, Quintessential Rolex, then why not go in for a nice contrast - a white dial Exp-II. Practical too for travelling, etc. with its dual timezone feature. Just a thought!!

Cheers - JJ

Not much contrast between the white dial and white sweater
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote