The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 July 2006, 11:07 PM   #1
Atomic

The new YG GMT

I had one on my wrist on Friday night... black dialed version.

While I don't like YG on watches, this thing was pretty nice. The printing on the chapter ring is nothing near as bold as it looks in photos. In fact, you really have to look at it to notice it. The bezel is nice with the gold inlaid in the ceramic for the hours. Nice touch. The clasp is also a vast improvement over the old punched steel one and the triplock looks very much like it belongs.

Overall, it's a very nice watch, but then again it lists at CDN$27,500 so it should be nice (and you can get nice discounts on YG watches, so I'm guessing you could walk out with it for around $20K plus tax. That's a guess though. The sales dude said the SS version should be priced in the CDN$6,000 range. Since the current GMT is CDN$6100, I'm guessing it'll be closer to $7000, since the LV is now $6800 plus.

BTW, there was a guy doing a first time luxuray watch purchase and he had it down between a 16610 and a black PO. Tough choice. He said 'it'll be the last watch I ever buy' and I looked at him and said 'good luck'. When he asked what I meant, I told him buying luxuary time pieces is a disease that takes really strong will power to ignore. He laughed like he thought I was crazy, but the sales guy gave me a knowing smile.
Old 25 July 2006, 01:48 AM   #2
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Right, my only watch, sure He'll probably be on the list for the SS GMT within a couple of weeks He has no idea what he's getting into
Old 25 July 2006, 01:56 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Like you John not a lover of all gold watches,but apart from that the new GMT is a winner with me.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2006, 03:22 AM   #4
Spencer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic View Post

BTW, there was a guy doing a first time luxuray watch purchase and he had it down between a 16610 and a black PO. Tough choice. He said 'it'll be the last watch I ever buy' and I looked at him and said 'good luck'. When he asked what I meant, I told him buying luxuary time pieces is a disease that takes really strong will power to ignore. He laughed like he thought I was crazy, but the sales guy gave me a knowing smile.

Very true

Resident Audemars Piguet Fanatic
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2006, 04:38 AM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Right on, Johnny!! The new YG GMT-II is a real beauty. What did you think of the new clasp?

And did you try and turn the bezel? Notice how it jumped in 2½ moves around the dial?

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2006, 05:27 AM   #6
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Right on, Johnny!! The new YG GMT-II is a real beauty. What did you think of the new clasp?

And did you try and turn the bezel? Notice how it jumped in 2½ moves around the dial?

JJ
Yeah I had it on. The clasp is very nice. Where it should have been 20 years ago. The bezel is a work of art though.
Old 25 July 2006, 05:30 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Yeah I had it on. The clasp is very nice. Where it should have been 20 years ago. The bezel is a work of art though.
Thanks, Johnny. I love it when you sing praises about my beloved Rolex!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2006, 05:35 AM   #8
Atomic

Quote:
JJ, you should know by now I call a spade a shovel.
Old 25 July 2006, 06:53 AM   #9
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
It goes beyond this, my friends. Most of us are surrounded by watch ignoramuses. (And they have the right to be so). My colleagues, bar two, don't give a hoot about the watch they are wearing. It's just a necessity. If it keeps time and doesn't fall off their wrists, it's fine. One, our Financial Director, wears an IWC Portofino. It caught my eye in a millisecond. Nice watch there, I said. He looked like I caught him with his hand in the cookie jar and hastened to say it was a gift from his children. This is one of the ways many Dutch think and act. It's almost a deadly sin to own such an item of luxury. The other one wears a nice Sinn pilot's watch, he knows I'm 'in the know' and isn't ashamed to talk about it.

I keep to my own ways and understand that for many people a watch isn't important. That's why we are here. Here, people do understand. So it doesn't matter if you like Rolex, IWC or Panerai, you like watches and are able to look beyond the time keeping ability alone. Our watches are more than that.
Old 25 July 2006, 11:37 AM   #10
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Sorry, John. While I love YG watches (having several), the YG GMT does nothing for me. It's just a tarted up workhorse. It shouldn't try to be something it isn't. I don't see a YG GMT being a dress watch. I would rather wear my black bezel GMT as a dress watch than the YG version.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2006, 10:50 PM   #11
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
Sorry, John. While I love YG watches (having several), the YG GMT does nothing for me. It's just a tarted up workhorse. It shouldn't try to be something it isn't. I don't see a YG GMT being a dress watch. I would rather wear my black bezel GMT as a dress watch than the YG version.
Ed, I actually agree 100%. I don't understand how any 'tool' watch could have a precious and soft metal in it, let alone be wholly made of it. It's beautiful, but certainly not a watch I would ever consider even if money was no option.

But, if it lays the foundation for a revamped SS version, then they're certainly moving in the right direction.
Old 26 July 2006, 11:58 PM   #12
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch View Post
It goes beyond this, my friends. Most of us are surrounded by watch ignoramuses. (And they have the right to be so). My colleagues, bar two, don't give a hoot about the watch they are wearing. It's just a necessity. If it keeps time and doesn't fall off their wrists, it's fine. One, our Financial Director, wears an IWC Portofino. It caught my eye in a millisecond. Nice watch there, I said. He looked like I caught him with his hand in the cookie jar and hastened to say it was a gift from his children. This is one of the ways many Dutch think and act. It's almost a deadly sin to own such an item of luxury. The other one wears a nice Sinn pilot's watch, he knows I'm 'in the know' and isn't ashamed to talk about it.

I keep to my own ways and understand that for many people a watch isn't important. That's why we are here. Here, people do understand. So it doesn't matter if you like Rolex, IWC or Panerai, you like watches and are able to look beyond the time keeping ability alone. Our watches are more than that.
I've noticed that a few guys I work with are somewhat into watches. A very few really appreciate the pieces and once mention is made of them, they can go on forever in a great conversation about all watches mechanical But, most have no idea what they have. They just know it was expensive and therefore must look good. but, they can never figure out why something that cost so much $$$ doesn't keep time as well as their casio did
Old 26 July 2006, 11:58 PM   #13
madformac
"TRF" Member

Quote:
BTW, there was a guy doing a first time luxury watch purchase and he had it down between a 16610 and a black PO. Tough choice. He said 'it'll be the last watch I ever buy' and I looked at him and said 'good luck'. When he asked what I meant, I told him buying luxuary time pieces is a disease that takes really strong will power to ignore. He laughed like he thought I was crazy, but the sales guy gave me a knowing smile.

I visited my AD on Saturday. I wasn't going in on purpose but I noticed they had a seadweller and a 16610 in the window at the same time which is unusual in a UK city, especially in summer.

I've been thinking about which to go with to partner my white face EXP II and with the chance to do a pepsi challenge between the two at the same time, I checked them out. I was leaning towards the seadweller but I also tried on a black face PO with the rubber strap. Now I'm thinking about going with the PO instead... I'm gonna need to think this one through I think...
madformac is offline   Reply With Quote