The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 March 2007, 05:08 AM   #1
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
What is the Big deal about the Daytona

I love Rolex watches! But I fail to see why the Daytona gets so much reverence! Can someone explain why!, using other than it's monetary worth as an argument.
Old 10 March 2007, 05:20 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nko51 View Post
I love Rolex watches! But I fail to see why the Daytona gets so much reverence! Can someone explain why!, using other than it's monetary worth as an argument.
Well, I have to agree with you half way. The Daytona with its new 4130 in-house 44 jewel movement is considered to be one of the best Chornograph movements in the world.

On the other hand, the SS version would be worth its price only at list - certainly not at the asking premium price.

In that case, the TT version with the all solid gold links would be a more "sensible" buy.

But it is a fantastic watch in terms of horological terms....there's no doubt about that.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2007, 05:35 AM   #3
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Well, I have to agree with you half way. The Daytona with its new 4130 in-house 44 jewel movement is considered to be one of the best Chornograph movements in the world.

On the other hand, the SS version would be worth its price only at list - certainly not at the asking premium price.

In that case, the TT version with the all solid gold links would be a more "sensible" buy.

But it is a fantastic watch in terms of horological terms....there's no doubt about that.

JJ
I have to admit! that is one good, solid explanation!
Old 10 March 2007, 05:40 AM   #4
worktolivelife
"TRF" Member

What is it you dislike Alex

steve
Old 10 March 2007, 05:54 AM   #5
ian.thomas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

What JJ said.
ian.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2007, 05:58 AM   #6
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Theres alot to like about this watch, The only thing I dislike is no date.... Im starting to get the hang of it though, But as a natural reaction when someone asks the date I still look at my watch and seem like a fool when I then pull out my phone :(

I agree on the TT, It was a much better buy imho I wasnt going to shell out the same amount for a SS watch, Especially since its a daily worn watch not a vault queen.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2007, 06:02 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo118 View Post
Theres alot to like about this watch, The only thing I dislike is no date.... Im starting to get the hang of it though, But as a natural reaction when someone asks the date I still look at my watch and seem like a fool when I then pull out my phone :(

I agree on the TT, It was a much better buy imho I wasnt going to shell out the same amount for a SS watch, Especially since its a daily worn watch not a vault queen.
Good one, Sol!! I've seen your silver/grey dial for real and love it. In fact, it was my one time dream watch....but the lack of date and the stationary second hand would drive me nuts!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 10 March 2007, 06:04 AM   #8
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I just leave it running.... I have no choice I am very into the sweep!
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2007, 06:06 AM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Good move, Sol. Padi, our resident expert, says there's no harm in leaving the Chrono function running at all times.

Probably might be a good idea to stop it at night....that's if you don't wear it at night!!

Old 10 March 2007, 06:08 AM   #10
worktolivelife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
me too!! cool IMO, i love to see something going on, on a dial

steve
Old 10 March 2007, 07:14 AM   #11
Spark
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by nko51 View Post
Hi,
I had a Steel Daytona with black dial, up until 8 months ago.
It was my grail watch (other than a Vintage 6263 Daytona with Silver dial and white subs)
I bought the watch new from an AD after being on the waiting list for a very short time (I was very lucky).
I absolutely loved the watch.
It is built like a tank as you would expect and with the new style Oyster bracelet and in house movement it has been updated very nicely.
The other main thing in my opinion that the Daytona is so popular is the fact it is the only true complicated watch Rolex make today and Chronograph's are always very appealing to the eye.
I would not hesitate to buy another one, the only reason for selling the watch was I had a small cashflow problem and I actually prefer vintage watches.
The £1300 GBP profit after owning the watch for 3 years was very nice too
Cheers ,

Spark.
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2007, 08:08 AM   #12
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
When I had my Alpha Newman, I left the chrono run because it looked odd to see the hand stationary. The Daytona is still an awesome watch.
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2007, 07:06 PM   #13
Timascus

I've always been around Rolex watches but knew very little (relative to members of this forum ) about them. I guess one can say I take Rolexes for granted.

I joined this forum last year to learn more about them after seeing a meteorite Daytona in a magazine. My visit to an AD got me a chance to see one in person and it took my breath away. Unfortunately the sales person was not very knowledgable. What I learned about the daytona I gleamed from reading different forums.

It is now my everyday watch. Every once in a while I take a little break and marvel at the Daytona "complication." I suppose it will do until I pick up an IWC Grand Complication.
Timascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2007, 07:55 PM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Got to agree the Daytona is a fine chronograph watch, but so are many others Myself not a fan of the modern Daytona,and cannot see what all the fuss is in the S.steel.I am convinced that its just because in some places its hard to get unless you pay a premium.The same could be said of the vintage Daytona like the 6263 in the late 70s 80s they could not give then away.Very poor sellers and at the time cheaper that any of the SS rolex sports.Even cheaper than the OQ,but today very very expensive.Now I have 6263 and have said it many times before before, I am sure without the name Rolex on the vintage Daytona dial.And the world wide currant Daytona fever,the vintage Daytona would not get a second look.After all in many eyes its only got a ETA Valjoux movement,and its not even chronometer rated.So it must come down to just the Rolex name,take the name Rolex of the dial,then you will have the same basic watch as many other vintage based same Valjoux powered chronos.It just shows the brilliant marketing power of the Rolex name over the years, Hans Wilsdorf I salute you,and thats what I admire most about Rolex the history..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2007, 09:02 PM   #15
gmt 16750
"TRF" Member

Watch: what your doing.
Spot-On Padi . Sorry to all the Daytona owners and lovers out there but I simply just don't get the Daytona hype at all.
IMHO I much prefer the Tudor chrono to the Rolex and I'm not just saying this because I don't have a Daytona but do have a Tudor Chrono - I would never pay a premium for a new (or modern) watch
OK Daytona owners - blast me down now
Old 10 March 2007, 10:16 PM   #16
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmt 16750 View Post
...OK Daytona owners - blast me down now
You are most welcome to your opinions and thoughts, Neil. I have strong opinions myself, and state them from time to time. I am a Daytona owner, and I love it. But I recognize that its not everyone's cup of tea.

However, just take another look at this:

You're becoming more enamored with it by the second...you're beginning to see my point of view...or...you're getting very sleepy...
Old 10 March 2007, 10:30 PM   #17
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
And again Allan IMHO the Zenith powered Daytona especially if currant fashions hold in SS. will be more collectable.And rise in prices, and that will be another collectable vintage Rolex Daytona.Like all the previous Rolex Chronos without a Rolex movement inside.Untill the introduction of the in-house Cal 4130 .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2007, 10:43 PM   #18
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
And again Allan IMHO the Zenith powered Daytona especially if currant fashions hold in SS. will be more collectable.And rise in prices, and that will be another collectable vintage Rolex Daytona.Like all the previous Rolex Chronos without a Rolex movement inside.Untill the introduction of the in-house Cal 4130 .
Old 10 March 2007, 10:57 PM   #19
worktolivelife
"TRF" Member

i like what i buy and buy what i like!, would guess thats the case with anyone with a mind of there own!

steve
Old 10 March 2007, 11:00 PM   #20
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worktolivelife View Post
i like what i buy and buy what i like!, would guess thats the case with anyone with a mind of there own!

steve
Indeed, Steve. That is precisely what guides my purchases. If I like it, I buy it. It somehow always follows that I like it after that!
Old 11 March 2007, 12:03 AM   #21
WES

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post

You're becoming more enamored with it by the second...you're beginning to see my point of view...or...you're getting very sleepy...
QUICK! QUICK! Snap your fingers, wake me up! I'm on my way to my AD with a Credit card in my hand! Bill
WES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2007, 12:11 AM   #22
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WES View Post
QUICK! QUICK! Snap your fingers, wake me up! I'm on my way to my AD with a Credit card in my hand! Bill
LMAO

It may be too late, Bill. I'm not one to interfere with hypnotic suggestion!
Old 11 March 2007, 01:02 PM   #23
watchnut
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona & TT DJ
Between Allan and Spenser's pics, I'm beginning to see what the " Big Deal" is!
watchnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2007, 09:55 PM   #24
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchnut View Post
Between Allan and Spenser's pics, I'm beginning to see what the " Big Deal" is!
You betcha, David.

And for good measure, here's one more...

Old 11 March 2007, 10:12 PM   #25
mike
"TRF" Member

Ok...I'll play, it took lomg enough to get here. LOL!

mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2007, 10:31 PM   #26
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Ok...I'll play, it took long enough to get here. LOL!
LOL - yessir, Mike. The more the merrier!!!

That one fits in to YOUR collection just like MINE fits into my collection! Beautiful!

I remember when it arrived, Mike. You had photos of you receiving it next to store workers dressed in matching attire. Too funny!!!
Old 11 March 2007, 10:37 PM   #27
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

Cause it's a cool watch.
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2007, 12:51 AM   #28
mrbieler
"TRF" Member

Watch: all about acrylic
I haven't seen a Daytona I'd be interested in owning/wearing, but Rolex makes enough watches to keep us all happy and busy. :)

Cursimus Cum Forfex

mrbieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2007, 01:11 AM   #29
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
LOL - yessir, Mike. The more the merrier!!!

That one fits in to YOUR collection just like MINE fits into my collection! Beautiful!

I remember when it arrived, Mike. You had photos of you receiving it next to store workers dressed in matching attire. Too funny!!!
Yeah, that was a hoot my friend! All the ladies had the same black dress. They're talking about doing it again in the fall. If Rolex does introduce the new SS GMT the timing should be about right. Humm......
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2007, 01:27 AM   #30
ofelas
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dinged & Gouged
Interesting thread...:)
ofelas is offline   Reply With Quote