The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 November 2021, 07:22 AM   #1
cglondon
"TRF" Member

Do I sell my Ceramic Seamaster for a BB58?

Hi.

So, bare with me here. I don’t know if it’s the right or wrong thing to do.

I’ve had my Ceramic 41mm Black Seamaster for over 3 years now. I do love certain things about it. The applied logo, the red Seamaster text, the date and ceramic bezel. The things I’m not massively keen on is the bracelet (style and width) and the winding of the movement. Its an ETA2500 movement with the usual Omega additions. Winding that movement compared to my Explorer (3132) doesn’t compare. I know I’m splitting hairs here but still…

Now, I’ve liked the look of the black Black Bay 58 since it was released. The size, the style, it seems, now, it’s more my style. I need to go into a shop and get hands on with the BB58. Possibly even check out the GMT as well.

The used market for my Seamaster is very strong. I will basically break even with the price I paid 3 years ago.

So, am I crazy to consider selling my Ceramic Seamaster for a BB58?

Couple of pictures included of my Watch Collection, Seamaster and some pics from Google of the BB58.

Any opinions?

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cglondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 07:33 AM   #2
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,Sub,DJ
Personally, I wouldn't.

Having said that, I really like the Pepsi look of the Tudor.

But I think I would like the Omega more than the BB58. But I realize that my own perspective is different from yours.

Having rambled for a few sentences - YOU are the one that should decide what YOU like. Opinions on here, as anywhere else in your life, are just that - opinions.

Find what you like and enjoy it!!

PDG
Ferrari308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 07:34 AM   #3
Deep18
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Not really. I’m not a fan of that bracelet on the Seamaster. I really dig the GMT model of the Black Bay so I’d do it.
Deep18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 07:37 AM   #4
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Love my Seamaster and wouldn't sell it for anything.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 07:39 AM   #5
cglondon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari308 View Post
Personally, I wouldn't.

Having said that, I really like the Pepsi look of the Tudor.

But I think I would like the Omega more than the BB58. But I realize that my own perspective is different from yours.

Having rambled for a few sentences - YOU are the one that should decide what YOU like. Opinions on here, as anywhere else in your life, are just that - opinions.

Find what you like and enjoy it!!

PDG

Cheers mate.

Yeah sorry, I forgot to ask. If anyone else has experienced that? Wanting to sell a watch for one that you haven’t even got hands on with yet!

I understand it’s MY choice. It’s just good to get opinions from like minded people. As my mates and Mrs don’t give a monkeys about these things.

Thanks.

Old 21 November 2021, 07:39 AM   #6
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Personally I think Omega is in a different league to Tudor, so I wouldn’t swap.

Also looking at second hand seamasters online I don’t think they’re going for that strong a price? The new ceramic Seamaster 300 can be had for around £3300 if you find the right auctions. I know this as I have been looking to buy one for a few months so have been tracking them.
shammad10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 07:48 AM   #7
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Do I sell my Ceramic Seamaster for a BB58?

I am not a fan of the modern seamaster, so i would swap it in a heartbeat. I have the BB58 and i think it really depends on what you’re looking for. If the seamaster is too big, and you don’t need a date, you might really like the BB58. The GMT is large, and the bracelet taper isn’t great. Such a cool watch but you really need the wrist size to support it. I bet it wears a touch larger than the Seamaster you currently have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 07:52 AM   #8
BDII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126710 BLRO
I would do it for sure. I really looked into trading my BB58 for a seamaster ceramic a year ago.

Reasons I stayed:

1) love the classic sub styling. Just a cleaner looking watch to me.

2) size. More comfortable

3) bracelet. Again, cleaner design with the oyster bracelet.
BDII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 07:56 AM   #9
S7gpt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610ln YM37 wife
Keep the omega, much better watch in my opinion
S7gpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 07:57 AM   #10
watchmavan

Watch: Polar 16570
No. Own both. They're quite different watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 07:59 AM   #11
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Love my 58. Prefer it over any Seamaster, past or current.
Old 21 November 2021, 08:01 AM   #12
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S7gpt View Post
Keep the omega, much better watch in my opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by shammad10 View Post
Personally I think Omega is in a different league to Tudor, so I wouldn’t swap.
Tudor is full step (or two) below Omega.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 08:12 AM   #13
shammad10
"TRF" Member

Having said that, if you’ve fallen out of love with it then there’s nothing wrong with trying out another watch that you’ve seen.
Old 21 November 2021, 08:25 AM   #14
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Personally think the Seamaster looks dated and the bracelet is a disaster. Would do it in a heartbeat. All about preference
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 08:30 AM   #15
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Owning two Omegas (planet ocean and speedy pro), I love them. But between that particular SM and BB58 (which I also own), I’d choose the BB58 everyday.
Old 21 November 2021, 08:36 AM   #16
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001jesper View Post
Personally think the Seamaster looks dated and the bracelet is a disaster. Would do it in a heartbeat. All about preference
yes, on all accounts
Old 21 November 2021, 08:40 AM   #17
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

The Omega you own is in a different league to the BB58.
Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 08:43 AM   #18
colpol
"TRF" Member

Why not have both in the short term. Most of the big ADs are doing 0%

If you really feel the seamaster getting zero wrist time - sell later

Ps - got the seamaster & thec silver Casio myself
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 09:11 AM   #19
cglondon
"TRF" Member

See it’s very hard. There’s no right answer. It’s ultimately going to come down to how I honestly feel about the Seamaster. Having a ceramic bezel is so cool. It pops in the sunlight but I feel I’m not completely in love with it.

I think I should be considering it’s quite an expensive item to have mixed feelings about.

I don’t know how to reply to multiple people in one message so I ll try to remember a few points people raised.

Firstly, the fact Omega is in a different league to Tudor. Or the watch itself is. That’s kind of a moot point in this situation. As that doesn’t determine if it’s “right” for me or not. My modded Seiko SKX doesn’t even have hacking but I modded that myself. It’s perfect for me.

The BB58’s lack of bracelet adjustment worries me. I have upgraded my SMP300’s bracelet to the PUSH clasp adjustment so I can get a near perfect fit.

Secondly, it’s one or the other. I only have one need for a dive watch. My collection is never going above 8 as that’s the size of my watch box and it’s sentimental to me. So I will never buy a second one. I don’t want to use additional money to purchase the BB58. As I bought my Explorer this year so to purchase a second diver in the same year just seems unnecessary. Obviously my SKX is classed as a dive watch but I’ve had the case back off so many times I wouldn’t trust it’s water resistance walking through a puddle.

Please keep the advice coming. It’s really interesting to see.

Anyone got any thoughts on the BB GMT? My grail is a BLNR, so I’m probably eyeing it up for that reason!

Old 21 November 2021, 09:21 AM   #20
dnd2984
2024 Pledge Member

I made this mistake. Don’t do it. Both are different. Miss that Seamaster.
dnd2984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 09:24 AM   #21
russeree
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
No way bb58 is good but the sea master is excellent.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 21 November 2021, 09:25 AM   #22
shammad10
"TRF" Member

I’m one of the people who said that Omega is in a different league to Tudor. I recently bought a new Speedmaster when buying a new watch.
However, I think if you no longer get the joy of wearing the seamaster, then go for the BB58 or the GMT. They seem to hold value pretty well (would lose maybe £300) and you could pick up a seamaster again at a similar price if you wanted to.
Old 21 November 2021, 09:53 AM   #23
snyde
"TRF" Member

Going from ceramic to aluminum is a big change.

snyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 09:53 AM   #24
haganaga
"TRF" Member

I had the blue version of that SMPc and sold it after owning it less than a year. The bracelet just drove me nuts with its heft and lack of taper. Interestingly, just yesterday I got the BB58 blue and it’s amazing how well it wears.

haganaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 09:58 AM   #25
watchmavan

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by haganaga View Post
I had the blue version of that SMPc and sold it after owning it less than a year. The bracelet just drove me nuts with its heft and lack of taper. Interestingly, just yesterday I got the BB58 blue and it’s amazing how well it wears.

And what might you have said the day after you bought the Seamaster!

Not having a go just highlighting honeymoon. I have both watches and like them both in different ways. But the OG Seamaster bracelet hasn't been on the watch since week one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 10:19 AM   #26
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

Can't speak to the Seamaster, but I have the blue bb58 (and used to have the black) and it's a great watch. I use it primarily for daily and office wear and it does great. The finishing is definitely not as nice as a Rolex sub (and probably below Omega as well), but it does it's job well. Also like that the aluminum bezel will likely fade over time in the sun.

btw, love your Seiko.
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 10:27 AM   #27
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,Sub,DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglondon View Post
See it’s very hard. There’s no right answer. It’s ultimately going to come down to how I honestly feel about the Seamaster. Having a ceramic bezel is so cool. It pops in the sunlight but I feel I’m not completely in love with it.

I think I should be considering it’s quite an expensive item to have mixed feelings about.

I don’t know how to reply to multiple people in one message so I ll try to remember a few points people raised.

Firstly, the fact Omega is in a different league to Tudor. Or the watch itself is. That’s kind of a moot point in this situation. As that doesn’t determine if it’s “right” for me or not. My modded Seiko SKX doesn’t even have hacking but I modded that myself. It’s perfect for me.

The BB58’s lack of bracelet adjustment worries me. I have upgraded my SMP300’s bracelet to the PUSH clasp adjustment so I can get a near perfect fit.

Secondly, it’s one or the other. I only have one need for a dive watch. My collection is never going above 8 as that’s the size of my watch box and it’s sentimental to me. So I will never buy a second one. I don’t want to use additional money to purchase the BB58. As I bought my Explorer this year so to purchase a second diver in the same year just seems unnecessary. Obviously my SKX is classed as a dive watch but I’ve had the case back off so many times I wouldn’t trust it’s water resistance walking through a puddle.

Please keep the advice coming. It’s really interesting to see.

Anyone got any thoughts on the BB GMT? My grail is a BLNR, so I’m probably eyeing it up for that reason!

I've thought about the selling part to get the next one. I am just really bad at doing it. Heck, I still have the first car I ever bought...LOL!!!

PDG
Ferrari308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 10:28 AM   #28
elrelojeroz
"TRF" Member

No!
elrelojeroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 10:30 AM   #29
Laostuh
"TRF" Member

TBH the only thing that has stopped me from buying an Omega is the bracelet design. I prefer the Tudor over the Omega in this situation so I would do it. I have seen some Omega's w/ a Day Date looking bracelet that was pretty cool but I believe that might've been a custom.
Laostuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2021, 10:33 AM   #30
jed11
"TRF" Member

Very different watches in my opinion. If you like the 'look' of the BB58 better, then there's no real debate. But if watch vs. watch....like others have said, I believe Omega is a step or two (or more) above Tudor. Me personally, Seamaster is more unique so that gets my vote.
jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote