The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 18 September 2024, 01:09 PM   #1
gregorpal
"TRF" Member

Price range for a Sub 1680-

Hi everyone, what would it be a fair / range price for a Sub 1680, MK1,s/n. 5.4M all orginal, decent condition Papers and Box?
Thank you in advance

Kind regards
gregorpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2024, 03:07 PM   #2
MrLemon
"TRF" Member

you can check with tropicalwatch and graypatina, they are well known Vintage seller.
I am no expert, I think 15k is about right
MrLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:25 AM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

For any sort of valid response, you would really need to show good photos of the watch, and also all of the accessories. If all you're looking for is a ballpark, then obviously you can easily research that yourself using auction sales.
Old Yesterday, 12:37 AM   #4
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
You can always check asking prices on chrono but that’s not a true gauge of a potential selling price. Dan makes a good point post some photos to get a true idea of something’s worth and good feedback
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:55 AM   #5
yowlie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 pumpkin
It would have a lot to do with the level of polish, insert fading, and dial patina and condition.
yowlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:25 AM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowlie View Post
It would have a lot to do with the level of polish, insert fading, and dial patina and condition.
And bracelet, and whether the accessories are correct/original, etc., etc. The OP has been posting a lot of threads asking for people to evaluate watches and perform valuations for him. So he should understand the drill by now.
Old Yesterday, 03:46 AM   #7
dhknola
"TRF" Member

A decent red sub 1680 hammered on Loupe this for 15.5k a week or two ago.
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:59 AM   #8
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhknola View Post
A decent red sub 1680 hammered on Loupe this for 15.5k a week or two ago.
The OP wasn't specific, but the serial number he gave suggests that it would be a white 1680, assuming it's correct.
Old Yesterday, 05:25 AM   #9
gregorpal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
For any sort of valid response, you would really need to show good photos of the watch, and also all of the accessories. If all you're looking for is a ballpark, then obviously you can easily research that yourself using auction sales.
Thank you,Dan. I have no photos yet. Anyway, I was watching different sources, and the variety in prices (sale prices not sold) ar so wide for almost the same watch and condictions that is really hard to say what is a fair price nowdays.
Regards
Old Yesterday, 05:26 AM   #10
gregorpal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The OP wasn't specific, but the serial number he gave suggests that it would be a white 1680, assuming it's correct.
yes, as the serial number it is a white one.
Old Yesterday, 05:28 AM   #11
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorpal View Post
Thank you,Dan. I have no photos yet. Anyway, I was watching different sources, and the variety in prices (sale prices not sold) ar so wide for almost the same watch and condictions that is really hard to say what is a fair price nowdays.
Regards
That's why we all generally do our own research when buying a watch. I could say $8k–$16k USD, depending on condition, originality, etc., but I doubt that would be very helpful.
Old Yesterday, 05:34 AM   #12
gregorpal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And bracelet, and whether the accessories are correct/original, etc., etc. The OP has been posting a lot of threads asking for people to evaluate watches and perform valuations for him. So he should understand the drill by now.
Yes, I have posted threads just a couple of times (not a lot) asking opinions about a 5508 vs a 6536/1, and for a Daytona 16520. In both cases regarding conditions and opinions in order to help me to make a decision.
I hope it is not a problem for the Forum members.
Regards
Old Yesterday, 05:35 AM   #13
R44
"TRF" Member

I had someone try and tempt me into selling my 5m serial number 1680 Mk1 white for £15000. It’s a full set with box, original papers and 200m anchor. It’s been polished (about 10 years ago by LA Watchworks) but still has thick lugs and great chamfers on it. For some time now I’ve gone by watch condition rather than worry about papers / full sets etc - this was one of the last vintage watches I brought with box and papers. I’ve also got a 1680 Red in the collection which was purchased around 12 years ago and the intention at the time was to sell the 1680 white. I decided to keep the white as well as I think the 1680 is a fabulous watch and really like white version as well as the red so didn’t want to part with it.
R44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:36 AM   #14
gregorpal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLemon View Post
you can check with tropicalwatch and graypatina, they are well known Vintage seller.
I am no expert, I think 15k is about right
Many thanks Mr Lemon
Regards
Old Yesterday, 05:47 AM   #15
gregorpal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R44 View Post
I had someone try and tempt me into selling my 5m serial number 1680 Mk1 white for £15000. It’s a full set with box, original papers and 200m anchor. It’s been polished (about 10 years ago by LA Watchworks) but still has thick lugs and great chamfers on it. For some time now I’ve gone by watch condition rather than worry about papers / full sets etc - this was one of the last vintage watches I brought with box and papers. I’ve also got a 1680 Red in the collection which was purchased around 12 years ago and the intention at the time was to sell the 1680 white. I decided to keep the white as well as I think the 1680 is a fabulous watch and really like white version as well as the red so didn’t want to part with it.
Many thanks for your reply. It is an interesting reference as prices are really mad in the last 2 years so it is difficult to have an estimation, as we had in the past with prices more regular. Thank you again.
Old Yesterday, 06:15 AM   #16
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorpal View Post
Many thanks for your reply. It is an interesting reference as prices are really mad in the last 2 years so it is difficult to have an estimation, as we had in the past with prices more regular. Thank you again.
Yea prices have dropped a lot in the last two years. You don't want to use comps from 2020 or 2021.
Old Yesterday, 06:26 AM   #17
gregorpal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yea prices have dropped a lot in the last two years.
Yep, that is why I am a bit lost and confused and asking opinions out of the Chrono's /ebay or other sales / auctions references. Many thanks again.
Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM   #18
springer
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Based on my experience, I would think that $16,000 to $18,000 would find you a very nice, correct, late 1970s example with no issues. By nice and correct, I mean - very nice case, whether original or refinished with the correct tritium dial/hands, bezel, bezel insert, crystal, bracelet and a recent service. You might find one for less which is all the better!!! If you are looking for a set, expect to pay more.

Be very careful with many of these "trusted dealer" listings. I often see many of their watches listed that are not listed listed correctly or have issues with parts that are not period correct based on the listing description. If you are not concerned about a watch being 100% correct, then the price should be expressed accordingly.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:21 AM   #19
gregorpal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Based on my experience, I would think that $16,000 to $18,000 would find you a very nice, correct, late 1970s example with no issues. By nice and correct, I mean - very nice case, whether original or refinished with the correct tritium dial/hands, bezel, bezel insert, crystal, bracelet and a recent service. You might find one for less which is all the better!!! If you are looking for a set, expect to pay more.

Be very careful with many of these "trusted dealer" listings. I often see many of their watches listed that are not listed listed correctly or have issues with parts that are not period correct based on the listing description. If you are not concerned about a watch being 100% correct, then the price should be expressed accordingly.
Many thanks Springer, appreciate your advice, really hard to find an example as you precisely describe . And yes, if not 100% correct, price should be significant less. Kind regards