The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 February 2009, 09:41 AM   #1
ijen0311
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Boo to unfriendly ADs

Visited a local AD today... name starts with an M...

I was wearing the TT Blue sub. There was a guy in the store with his dad looking at both the TT Blue and TT Black subs. The salesperson was feeding him so much crap... I felt bad for this guy! My husband was looking at some watches and the sales woman was not only un-knowledgeable but she was also quite rude. I began talking to the customer about Rolex stuff... the salesman interrupted and asked me where I worked I said I worked for the State of Florida and he said I had no reason to know what I was talking about... that the TT Bluesy would never be discontinued because the VP of Rolex just told him so.

Needless to say, I walked out with the customer and suggested he go elsewhere. They gave him a decent price, but man, what a bunch of jerks!
ijen0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2009, 09:44 AM   #2
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Not surprised at all

There are a lot of AD's like the one you visited

GMT - Master II C - 116710 LN
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2009, 09:47 AM   #3
ijen0311
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostie View Post
Not surprised at all

There are a lot of AD's like the one you visited
I know! I'm lucky to have a great AD

I also suggested he look over things at TRF before he buys!
Old 9 February 2009, 09:47 AM   #4
harvey
"TRF" Member

jen, i always try to focus on the watches... and ignore the ASSistant(s)
Old 9 February 2009, 09:50 AM   #5
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Jen,

I would send a strongly worded letter both to the AD and to Rolex. I may even go so far as to process a complaint through the BBB. But that is just me and I cannot stand someone so rude and arrogant and will do all I can to "dethrone" them.

Sorry you had a bad experience. This should never happen especially in a place full of such great timepieces! Just ruins the day doesn't it. Sheesh!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2009, 09:50 AM   #6
Lol-x
Facilitator

There will always be good and bad sales people in AD's. One just has to find one that is good for you.

I heard from one AD that Rolex actually sends dummy purchasers into some AD's to get the inside experience of an AD's selling techniques.

Maybe things like this will improve the quality of AD information.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2009, 09:51 AM   #7
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
There will always be good and bad sales people in AD's. One just has to find one that is good for you.

I heard from one AD that Rolex actually sends dummy purchasers into some AD's to get the inside experience of an AD's selling techniques.

Maybe things like this will improve the quality of AD information.
Ooooh! I like the dummy purchasers idea! Lovely!
Old 9 February 2009, 09:53 AM   #8
ijen0311
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
Jen,

I would send a strongly worded letter both to the AD and to Rolex. I may even go so far as to process a complaint through the BBB. But that is just me and I cannot stand someone so rude and arrogant and will do all I can to "dethrone" them.

Sorry you had a bad experience. This should never happen especially in a place full of such great timepieces! Just ruins the day doesn't it. Sheesh!
The saleswoman actually shut the Rolex book on my hand when I pointed at a watch in there. I had said "oh I really like that one" and she just pretended to not hear me. Then, when we walked out with the other customers, she followed me out just to eavesdrop (she just stood there!) Good idea about the letter, I think I will.
Old 9 February 2009, 09:59 AM   #9
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijen0311 View Post
The saleswoman actually shut the Rolex book on my hand when I pointed at a watch in there. I had said "oh I really like that one" and she just pretended to not hear me. Then, when we walked out with the other customers, she followed me out just to eavesdrop (she just stood there!) Good idea about the letter, I think I will.
Oh my!!! Assault!!!

Seriously, I would peel her like an onion!!!! She sounds evil!
Old 9 February 2009, 10:00 AM   #10
lawrenceb
2024 Pledge Member

Put yourself in the salesperson position.. times are tough... he needs a sale and probably works on commission with a draw.
Do you think that rent is free? Workmans comp? Insurance? Taxes?

Would you appreciate a know it all coming in and dorking up your sale??

I have heard some STUPID things come out of sales peoples mouths in AD's but the LAST thing I would do is say something to a customer a sales person is working with.
Chances are GOOD the guy shopping at a AD could care less about watch forums, the history behind the watch, what its made off etc... he just wants a Rolex. If he opts to buy they line of BS the salesperson is selling then so be it.
Next time have SOME RESPECT for the business you are visiting... when you come up with several MILLION dollars to open up your own AD then you can tell your customers whatever you want.
lawrenceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2009, 10:05 AM   #11
ijen0311
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrenceb View Post
Put yourself in the salesperson position.. times are tough... he needs a sale and probably works on commission with a draw.
Do you think that rent is free? Workmans comp? Insurance? Taxes?

Would you appreciate a know it all coming in and dorking up your sale??

I have heard some STUPID things come out of sales peoples mouths in AD's but the LAST thing I would do is say something to a customer a sales person is working with.
Chances are GOOD the guy shopping at a AD could care less about watch forums, the history behind the watch, what its made off etc... he just wants a Rolex. If he opts to buy they line of BS the salesperson is selling then so be it.
Next time have SOME RESPECT for the business you are visiting... when you come up with several MILLION dollars to open up your own AD then you can tell your customers whatever you want.
Well... I didn't butt in... the customer asked me what I thought since I was wearing the same watch he was shopping for. I said it was a great watch and I would definitely suggest it. And I said he was being offered a good price, so I certainly didn't blow his sale or do anything to be a "know it all".

I don't have a problem with the AD making money... but you shouldn't deceive someone to do it. When an AD tells the customer the BOX is extra $$, something is wrong
Old 9 February 2009, 10:13 AM   #12
MaxilloFacial

Watch: White SS Daytona
lawrenceb sort of has a point, but at the end of the day its a personal decision if you feel the need to intervene. On one hand, its just a watch and salespeople in all walks of life feed consumers bs, its part of the job. On the other hand, im sure there are the consumer rights advocates who strongly believe in informed decision making... but the latter at the end of the day is the buyer's responsibility.

Bottom line... I hate salespeople in the jewelry industry personally, they are the most untrustworthy individuals who however need to do what they do to survive i guess.
MaxilloFacial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2009, 10:15 AM   #13
MaxilloFacial

Watch: White SS Daytona
p.s. selling the box is theft if its a new piece only.
MaxilloFacial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2009, 10:24 AM   #14
lawrenceb
2024 Pledge Member

If the AD is selling boxes then they won't be an AD for long. If you were in Mayors or Jareds (both in Fl), then the AD did not try to sell a box.
What they did try to sell was a winder box, both Jared and Mayors push winders heavy to Rolex customers.
Bottomline, would you appreciate someone coming into your business "informing" your customers?
Its out of line and very rude...
Businesses MUST make money.. they can't GIVE products away. The "gimme gimme" attitude is part of the economic problem in the US.
Old 9 February 2009, 10:26 AM   #15
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Omega SMP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijen0311 View Post
Well... I didn't butt in... the customer asked me what I thought since I was wearing the same watch he was shopping for. I said it was a great watch and I would definitely suggest it. And I said he was being offered a good price, so I certainly didn't blow his sale or do anything to be a "know it all".

I don't have a problem with the AD making money... but you shouldn't deceive someone to do it. When an AD tells the customer the BOX is extra $$, something is wrong

Wow, how low can an AD go just to get a sale
If that were me in your shoes, I would've definitely spoken up about that as well.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2009, 10:33 AM   #16
ijen0311
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If the AD is selling boxes then they won't be an AD for long. If you were in Mayors or Jareds (both in Fl), then the AD did not try to sell a box.
What they did try to sell was a winder box, both Jared and Mayors push winders heavy to Rolex customers.
Bottomline, would you appreciate someone coming into your business "informing" your customers?
Its out of line and very rude...
Businesses MUST make money.. they can't GIVE products away. The "gimme gimme" attitude is part of the economic problem in the US.
They were pushing the winder as well. AD told customer the wood box came with the watch but he could get him the new box for an extra price
Old 9 February 2009, 10:39 AM   #17
tommypit

Watch: 2005 TT Sub Black
thanks 4 the thread, thought it was me

I really dont like going to my local AD. They make me feel very uncomfortable,
because they are just unfriendly

The last time I tried to buy a watch(with $ in hand). The sales person went to speak to the owner and came back with no discount at all on a DJ!
I said no thank you and walked out.

I drove to a reputable grey dealer. Same watch 30% off, no tax

I dont understand why any AD would treat prespective customers like that.
tommypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2009, 10:42 AM   #18
lawrenceb
2024 Pledge Member

Lying and deceiving a customer is not cool... however sometimes the salespeople are just STUPID..
I would say 90% of the salespeople do not share the passion that his forum has for Rolex. I like going to AD's just to hear something dumb about Rolex's... makes me feel smart!
Old 9 February 2009, 10:53 AM   #19
onkyo
Banned

Jen,

I have personally banned my local AD in downtown Manhattan. I Will NEVER walk into that store again in my lifetime.

Rude and bad customer service, so I know what you are talking about. My GF actually wrote a letter to the owner to complain about one salesperson. Never heard back... surprise, surprise.

They lost tens of thousands of dollar in sales just from me alone.

Big to bad AD .....

onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2009, 10:59 AM   #20
WatchSmith
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
...however sometimes the salespeople are just STUPID..
I would say 90% of the salespeople do not share the passion that his forum has for Rolex.
I think this is the most accurate assessment yet. Unless a sales person has a similar passion, it's doubtful that he/she will know all of the details that a watch forum surfer knows. This is also true for many things besides watches. I can't tell you how many times a sales person struggled to tell me something about a product when I knew more than they did. Only because I'd done prior research. It's refreshing when you DO meet someone knowledgeable about a product and who conducts him or herself in a courteous and professional way. I would expect more from a Rolex dealer.
WatchSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2009, 11:16 AM   #21
Sperry
"TRF" Member

My local shop did their best; the gal tried to answer, and asked or consulted the book when she didn't know.

However, when the manager "took over", it was downhill.
We were talking about my selection, and he placed it back in the cabinet.
Where I'm from, that's the same as a salesman getting up from the table first.

So I visited a shop advertised on I-78 in PA [across from Cabela's].

Very pleasant and knowledgeable! Even pulled out a third watch for comparison.
Finally placed them back when I said "You can put them back now".
But left the original choice out on the mat while I was standing in front of them [half hour total].

So, which AD does one think would get my business, if I buy new?
Sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2009, 11:22 AM   #22
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Jen,

I think you did the right thing in every regard. I would have publicly lipped out that salesperson had she closed the catalog on my hand, but again that's me and I relish confrontation when it is so blatantly warranted.

I couldn't care less if times are hard and I don't give a flip about what an AD has to pay to keep the doors open. They are in business. That is a part of it. If they can't take it then they can get out! I am including the salesperson in this statement.

I will also say that I have absolutely NO RESPECT for any business just because I walk in their open ornate doors. That is something they must earn from me! They should understand that. If they don't care to, then I will not leave any of my money there. Ever! And will council everyone I know to do the same. Good on you Jen for posting this here!

A sales person should be professional at every turn. If that sales person considers a conversation between two customers "dorking" up the sale then so what! That is their problem and not the two customers that are having a conversation on the benefits or detraction's of owning a Rolex. And to exhibit such immaturity is unforgivable!

I know of many situations just like you described (I was in sales for many years) where a conversation between two customers during my presentation actually helped close the sale on big ticket items. I never felt threatened by it. And a good salesperson knows how this can work to their benefit and uses it.

Again, I would go after this person who treated you with such disrespect. I would make sure to mention the catalog / hand incident. Totally unforgivable.

I almost find myself wishing it were me in that AD instead of you!
Old 9 February 2009, 11:23 AM   #23
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkyo View Post
Jen,

I have personally banned my local AD in downtown Manhattan. I Will NEVER walk into that store again in my lifetime.

Rude and bad customer service, so I know what you are talking about. My GF actually wrote a letter to the owner to complain about one salesperson. Never heard back... surprise, surprise.

They lost tens of thousands of dollar in sales just from me alone.

Big to bad AD .....

My compliments!
Old 9 February 2009, 11:39 AM   #24
lawrenceb
2024 Pledge Member

The "right" thing to do if you feel strongly about what a salesperson is telling a customer is to ask for the manager and tell them what has been said.
If that does not go anywhere then call corporate for the store you are in or Rolex and tell them. Calling someone out or putting your two cents into a sales deal in someone elses business is highly unethical.
I visited very large chain that starts with J who is everywhere in the US told me a blantant lie about a watch I wanted. I wrote a letter to their corporate office and a VP called me and personally apologized.

Support the AD's that treat you right, and tell all your friends not to go to the ones that don't... thats the best way to get "even" with a crappy dealer.

Remember, if AD's go away then so do discounts... Imagine having to shop at a Rolex boutique! Dont expect to get a nickel off list price.
Old 9 February 2009, 12:07 PM   #25
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Jen,

I think you did the right thing in every regard. I would have publicly lipped out that salesperson had she closed the catalog on my hand, but again that's me and I relish confrontation when it is so blatantly warranted.

I couldn't care less if times are hard and I don't give a flip about what an AD has to pay to keep the doors open. They are in business. That is a part of it. If they can't take it then they can get out! I am including the salesperson in this statement.

I will also say that I have absolutely NO RESPECT for any business just because I walk in their open ornate doors. That is something they must earn from me! They should understand that. If they don't care to, then I will not leave any of my money there. Ever! And will council everyone I know to do the same. Good on you Jen for posting this here!

A sales person should be professional at every turn. If that sales person considers a conversation between two customers "dorking" up the sale then so what! That is their problem and not the two customers that are having a conversation on the benefits or detraction's of owning a Rolex. And to exhibit such immaturity is unforgivable!

I know of many situations just like you described (I was in sales for many years) where a conversation between two customers during my presentation actually helped close the sale on big ticket items. I never felt threatened by it. And a good salesperson knows how this can work to their benefit and uses it.

Again, I would go after this person who treated you with such disrespect. I would make sure to mention the catalog / hand incident. Totally unforgivable.

I almost find myself wishing it were me in that AD instead of you!
I totally agree with you Richard!!! I work just as hard for my $$$ and I'm not about to spend it with an AD who hasn't EARNED the sale!
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2009, 12:15 PM   #26
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The "right" thing to do if you feel strongly about what a salesperson is telling a customer is to ask for the manager and tell them what has been said.
If that does not go anywhere then call corporate for the store you are in or Rolex and tell them. Calling someone out or putting your two cents into a sales deal in someone elses business is highly unethical.
I visited very large chain that starts with J who is everywhere in the US told me a blantant lie about a watch I wanted. I wrote a letter to their corporate office and a VP called me and personally apologized.

Support the AD's that treat you right, and tell all your friends not to go to the ones that don't... thats the best way to get "even" with a crappy dealer.

Remember, if AD's go away then so do discounts... Imagine having to shop at a Rolex boutique! Dont expect to get a nickel off list price.
Lawrence,

I completely agree with 90% of what you say in this post and you have made some very good points IMO, but "unethical" to call out a salesperson who closed a catalog on your hand??? I don't think so. What about the ethics of that saleslady? Do you agree with what she did? It seems like it.

If all the AD's go away so be it. Then I will buy here on TRF or from grey's or whoever meets my price on the desired timepiece. That's the bottom line to me and probably to most here.

These arrogant AD's need to close their doors and I personally hope they do. If they continue to hire people like this salesperson, then they surely will eventually.

I have an AD here that completely deserves my trust and admiration. They have always gone out of their way to help me and I have spent $10,000's of dollars with them. They are always so deserving of my support fiscally. Perhaps that is the reason I have no mercy for AD's like Jen experienced.
Old 9 February 2009, 12:26 PM   #27
MrCowboy99
"TRF" Member

reminds me of one local AD to me that kept calling and calling me at christmas time. I told them I was holding off due to the economy on one call but they never stopped calling. I hate sales people that can't leave you along.
MrCowboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2009, 12:35 PM   #28
lawrenceb
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Lawrence,

I completely agree with 90% of what you say in this post and you have made some very good points IMO, but "unethical" to call out a salesperson who closed a catalog on your hand??? I don't think so. What about the ethics of that saleslady? Do you agree with what she did? It seems like it.

If all the AD's go away so be it. Then I will buy here on TRF or from grey's or whoever meets my price on the desired timepiece. That's the bottom line to me and probably to most here.

These arrogant AD's need to close their doors and I personally hope they do. If they continue to hire people like this salesperson, then they surely will eventually.

I have an AD here that completely deserves my trust and admiration. They have always gone out of their way to help me and I have spent $10,000's of dollars with them. They are always so deserving of my support fiscally. Perhaps that is the reason I have no mercy for AD's like Jen experienced.
Richard,
Missed the part about the catalog... anyone closing a book on my hand is going to get an ass whipping <lol>

I know there are some horrible AD's.... In due time they will get whats coming to them , be it Rolex shutting them down or just going out of business.
Its just my opinion to handle a poor salesperson in professional manner by talking to their boss or the store owner. Great sales people do not have to lie or make up stories to sell a Rolex.... bad ones do and telling their boss will get them canned eventually or corrected.

I just feel for AD's right now... Sometimes people say the wrong thing because they dont know or are just desperate to make a sale. That doesnt make it right, but having been dirt poor once I know what its like to need to make deal so I could eat and pay rent.
Old 9 February 2009, 12:41 PM   #29
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Quote:
Calling someone out or putting your two cents into a sales deal in someone elses business is highly unethical.
Lawrence, what ethical rule has been breached here? As far as I can tell, as both a customer and an enthusiast, Jen has done nothing wrong with sharing facts with a potential buyer. As someone who is experienced with buying Rolexes, she has done nothing wrong sharing her opinion about the quality of service that the other customer was receiving.

Jen is not from another AD, nor is she selling Rolexes herself. Had there been some gain to be achieved by taking the customer from this particular AD, I would have agreed that there was a question of ethics, but since her actions would in no way have resulted in her personal gain, there is no such issue. If anything, she has done the customer a favour by steering him away from bad service, so it does put her ahead in the ethics game.

Now speaking of unethical conduct, the salesperson could well have been deliberately laying out the tall stories to see how much he could get away with vis-a-vis this customer. If, for example, the customer swallowed everything hook, line and sinker, in the event of the watch being returned on warranty the salesperson would have been armed with the knowledge needed to deny any warranty claims with that customer. I'm not saying that such is the case, but if it was, Jen has just done her part in preventing unethical behaviour.

Anyway, I digress. What did Jen do that was unethical?
Old 9 February 2009, 12:43 PM   #30
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
We live here in America where Capitalism is the name of the game. Competition can be tough and only the strongest will survive in these market conditions. If you feel that an AD is treating you wrong there are other AD's that will be happy to accommodate your needs and be happy for your business. I do demand to be treated with respect and politeness and rudeness will not be tolerated. A salesperson should be knowledgeable or know how to find the correct information to satisfy your needs. To be successful a store should/needs to set up a 'win win situation' to complete the transaction and leave you with a lasting positive opinion and satisfied!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote