The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 July 2007, 11:55 AM   #1
bigcletus

Refurbishing, or not ??

I have a 6265/0 SS. I am the original owner. It has some minor wear on it, light scratches etc. Does Rolex (in my case Rolex Canada), refurb/polish/rebuild these watches ??
If so, any idea the cost, and exactly what they would do to it ??
Can a competent Non-Rolex jeweller do the job (I know one that works on Rolex). I've had the maintenance done on it over the years, but now I'd like to improve the cosmetics.
Thanks

Jack
bigcletus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2007, 12:19 PM   #2
ROLEXAHOLIC

Watch: 116528
If you send it to rolex for a complete overhaul they will return it to you in like new condition ! They completely disassemble and reassemble the watch and they can restore the bracelet as well !
ROLEXAHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2007, 12:42 PM   #3
bigcletus

Thanks. Any idea (ball park) cost ??
Old 25 July 2007, 12:52 PM   #4
ROLEXAHOLIC

Watch: 116528
You can send it to rolex for an estimate
ROLEXAHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2007, 06:47 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcletus View Post
I have a 6265/0 SS. I am the original owner. It has some minor wear on it, light scratches etc. Does Rolex (in my case Rolex Canada), refurb/polish/rebuild these watches ??
Can a competent Non-Rolex jeweller do the job (I know one that works on Rolex). I've had the maintenance done on it over the years, but now I'd like to improve the cosmetics.
Thanks

Jack
Now any vintage watch regarding a service on no circumstances let Rolex change dial or the hands.Just a oil service and a gentle polish,but to be honest with you any good watchmaker could service the Daytona 6265,being a Valjoux 72 series movement.But being now such a valuable watch now reaching telephone number prices best left to Rolex.Things like the crystal and crown tube is ok to change but the rest most important to leave as original as possible,case just a gentle polish,bracelet the same service cost around the $300-$500.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2007, 07:57 PM   #6
bigcletus

Thanks PADI56
Old 25 July 2007, 09:57 PM   #7
jac67
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Thanks Padi.

I was almost going to post the same thing!

DO NOT change the dial, hands, bracelet OR bezel under ANY circumstances!!

How about a picture or two, please.

John.
jac67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2007, 09:31 AM   #8
bigcletus

I will....once I find a photo hosting site..
Old 26 July 2007, 09:39 AM   #9
David alston
"TRF" Member

in the Maritimes

I don't know where you are in Canada, but there is a local jeweler here, independent, that does a lot of Rolex work. When I left my Tudor with him, he had four others lined up for repair. I have seen several rolexes and tudors he has done. They all looked good. He does what you ask, but not always without some discussion. He's reasonable and it might be worth at least talking to him.
David alston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2007, 09:48 AM   #10
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
My TT Sub went to the Toronto RSC a year ago, and came back looking like a new watch. Disassembled to the last screw and spring of the movement, cleaned, inspected, any worn parts replaced, then oiled, reassembled and timed. The case and bracelet were polished back to perfection. I almost took the bracelet off to check the serial # and verify it was the same watch!

Any competent watchmaker can overhaul a Rolex if he has access to genuine parts, but for the polishing many here feel that nobody can touch Rolex's refinishing.

Cost at the Toronto RSC is around $475 or so plus whatever bits are required. Mine came to about $1,040, but that included $200 worth of innards, a new 18K crown & tube, and a new crystal to replace the one I chipped. And it came back in a cool Rolex Service box with a 1 year warranty document.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2007, 09:52 AM   #11
mike
"TRF" Member

If RSC Canada will do it and NOT change the dial and hands that would be my choice.

On a reference like that I'd try to get as much documentation as I could.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2007, 09:56 AM   #12
David alston
"TRF" Member

$475 is a good price. For what it's worth, mine came in the same type of box, with a one year warranty and a polishing cloth.
David alston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2007, 10:14 AM   #13
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by David alston View Post
$475 is a good price. For what it's worth, mine came in the same type of box, with a one year warranty and a polishing cloth.
Yep, that's right. I forgot the cloth.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2007, 01:22 AM   #14
bigcletus

Now, as a follow-up, my conundrum:
I spoke with the local AD who, of course can do the work for me. Now they quoted me a cost which I find quite high. They also use a local 70-year old master jeweller for most of their non-warranty work. I know this gentleman and he does fantastic work. All my 6265 needs is to change the gaskets, lubrication, and polishing out any minor scratches. Would going to this gentleman instead of the AD (who I suspect will use him to do the work as well), de-value the watch ?? I plan on selling it once its at 100% cosmetically.
Old 29 July 2007, 03:28 AM   #15
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Now, as a follow-up, my conundrum:
I spoke with the local AD who, of course can do the work for me. Now they quoted me a cost which I find quite high. They also use a local 70-year old master jeweller for most of their non-warranty work. I know this gentleman and he does fantastic work. All my 6265 needs is to change the gaskets, lubrication, and polishing out any minor scratches. Would going to this gentleman instead of the AD (who I suspect will use him to do the work as well), de-value the watch ?? I plan on selling it once its at 100% cosmetically.
IMHO if selling is your goal. RSC paperwork will make the deal go a lot smoother.

The price of service can always be included in the overall price of the watch. At these levels a serious buyer won't think twice and be glad to have the documentation.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2007, 04:00 AM   #16
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
IMHO if selling is your goal. RSC paperwork will make the deal go a lot smoother.

The price of service can always be included in the overall price of the watch. At these levels a serious buyer won't think twice and be glad to have the documentation.
Have to agree with Mike if you intend on selling watch,but as I have said in my previous post any good watchmaker could service your watch.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 29 July 2007, 08:12 AM   #17
bigcletus

Thanks Guys...I've, errr you've, made up my mind ..
Cheers

jack
Old 29 July 2007, 12:00 PM   #18
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Typical overhaul with RSC in Toronto is around $500 CDN. Now if the dial and hands need replacing they will include that in the quote. It typicall costs $200 for the dial/hands and they will not hand you the older one.. its more like a trade-in.

RSC does magic... you won't believe the work that they do. Both my 14060 and my wife's 6618 came back brand spanking new!

As for case polishing without opening the case back, they may even offer a complimentary one. I think a thorough buff job would be $80-$90. I would give RSC Toronto a call and let them patch you to the after sales service to get a quote. Usually, they prefer you come in person so that their technician and have a quick look over.
Old 29 July 2007, 07:23 PM   #19
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcarver View Post
Typical overhaul with RSC in Toronto is around $500 CDN. Now if the dial and hands need replacing they will include that in the quote. It typicall costs $200 for the dial/hands and they will not hand you the older one.. its more like a trade-in.

RSC does magic... you won't believe the work that they do. Both my 14060 and my wife's 6618 came back brand spanking new!

As for case polishing without opening the case back, they may even offer a complimentary one. I think a thorough buff job would be $80-$90. I would give RSC Toronto a call and let them patch you to the after sales service to get a quote. Usually, they prefer you come in person so that their technician and have a quick look over.
Dont forget we are talking about a vintage 6265,and a dial hand change or case over polish etc would seriously lower the price of any vintage watch.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 31 July 2007, 03:56 AM   #20
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Ah, that is one critical point that I missed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Dont forget we are talking about a vintage 6265,and a dial hand change or case over polish etc would seriously lower the price of any vintage watch.
Old 31 July 2007, 12:38 PM   #21
bigcletus

I have to make one comment: you guys, all of you, area great resource to someone like me...someone who bought a Rolex many moons ago as a "I've always wanted one" situation. Now that I've learned my "old" stainless "hub-cap" watch is worth a small fortune, I can take the steps required. The info about not changing the hands and face is quite a surprise to me.
Thanks again