The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 December 2007, 02:55 AM   #1
maz

Watch: SS GMT II C
Newbie needs help, please...

I'm curious why two watch retailers both tried to talk me out of getting a Rolex. I've been searching and exploring and investigating what to get for my first really nice watch....I start discussing with the salesperson and they keep trying to move me into another direction?? Twice (in two different stores) they suggested I skip the Rolex and go for IWC.....in their opinion, a far better watch for the price. As a person experienced with sales...I'm wondering if the IWC has a better profit margin since Rolex doesn't discount? It's difficult to make educated decisions if the "professionals" are guiding me based on what they'll make rather than on what best suits me. Any input would help....but I was super close to picking up a Sea Dweller.....
By the way, this forum is a fantastic resource for info
-Nik
maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2007, 02:57 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Welcome Nik.

Can't help on this one..

No Rolex Dealer has ever steered me away from the Rolex counter...

Old 31 December 2007, 03:05 AM   #3
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Sounds like they may have an ulterior motive to me. Here is a comparison of the SD and IWC Aquatimer that might be of some interest to you.

http://www.watchtime.com/archive/wt_...005_05_050.pdf
Letsgodiving is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2007, 03:19 AM   #4
steel4me
Banned

If you just walk into an AD, not knowing who to talk to, they'll pretty much treat you like a lookie loo ... out of a 100 people who walk into an AD in a mall lets say, 10% promise to return and maybe not even 1% actually buy. so a rollie customer is a rare customer .. i won't be surprised that whoever bought their rollie on a particualr day from a particualr AD, that might have been the only rollies sale for that AD for that day ....

Now if you walk into the store with a rollie on your arm, they will treat you better. And try not to make any gang signs or dress like a "homie" ... it makes the AD reach for the gun, rather than his discount chart ......
steel4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2007, 06:39 AM   #5
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Welcome to TRF!

It could very well be that the sales' assistants want to sell you an IWC due to a better profit.

IWC makes excellent watches, but they are not "better" than Rolex. In fact, many of the IWC movements are modified ETA movts. Now, ETA's are not bad movts., but still pretty standard, but Rolex makes its own movts.

Also, Rolex watches don't depreciate as much as IWC watches do.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2007, 07:17 AM   #6
marshallr47
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,TT Sub,GMT
Welcome to TRF. IWC are very nice watches but you will truly enjoy a Rolex. The feel and durability goes without question. Good luck in your decision.
Old 31 December 2007, 07:29 AM   #7
travellingbrit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 11, BF
Salesguys huh....there is ALWAYS an ulterior motive and salesguys sell what they are told to sell ! maybe IWC's are sitting on shelves a little too long and the screws are on to move them faster.

But the great thing is that the choice is yours and it sounds like the SD is grinning back at you
travellingbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2007, 12:45 PM   #8
maz

Thanks for all the great feed-back. I'm really excited and quickly discouraged. It's difficult trying to make an educated decision based on sales professionals "less-than-honest" recommendations....and yes, the SD does whisper to me in my sleep. It shall be mine...maybe even before this week is over. I'll keep you posted -Nik
Old 31 December 2007, 12:51 PM   #9
Lol-x
Facilitator

Another thing to consider Nik is maybe the IWC stock levels were high, and if you appeared to be a little unsure of a Rolex, the salesperson might have thought it was a good opportunity to point you in a direction that would still give you a good watch, but also to turn over a watch that may well be more difficult for them to sell and have in more plentiful supply than a Sea-Dweller.
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2007, 01:03 PM   #10
problmchylde
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665 SD
My decisions are always based on my heart....NOT the sales person.Buy what ever YOU fancy..........
problmchylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2007, 01:07 PM   #11
5150Sooner

Now if you walk into the store with a rollie on your arm, they will treat you better. And try not to make any gang signs or dress like a "homie" ... it makes the AD reach for the gun, rather than his discount chart ......[/QUOTE]

5150Sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2007, 01:10 PM   #12
maz

point well taken. when two different salesmen in two different stores did the same thing, however...that's when I started to question my choice of the Rolex. Since then, last week actually...I've pulled myself together....spent way too much time on this forum....and am going straight for the SD. I did get a little side-tracked with everyone's banter on the new GMT....but the SD it is. Once again, the speedy replies and wealth of information and support here has been fantastic!