The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 December 2007, 03:23 AM   #1
biesek
"TRF" Member

Changing dials/bezels, is this OK?

I have met with a local dealer in Atlanta, Alex Jewelers, offering me a SS Mens Datejust, supposedly pre 2000, with an aftermarket bezel @ $3800. The bezel is diamonds all the way around, and the dial (which says Rolex on it; how do they get these if they are not an AD?) has diamonds where the numbers would be, and is currently in a small ziploc packet. I asked her about the risk of taking things apart to put the new dial in. She says it is precision tested for any leaks, etc after the new dial is put in. Here's the link to it on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

Thoughts???
biesek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2007, 05:14 AM   #2
ohlins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
as a owner..... one is free to do what he likes to the watch....

but rolex will not service a modified watch...... :)

the hype is true. a crown for every achievement.
visit my audio and watch blog & how to use the rolex comfort link?
ohlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2007, 05:16 AM   #3
cmiller
"TRF" Member

hey how are you??i have a similar jeweler here where im from that is a very respected jewelry store and has been open for more than 30 years...i went it just to see what they had and what they'd say...they have preowned Rolex watches and switch out the bezels, dials, etc. I was kind of skeptical about it at first too....the watches were in baggies like you described and most have aftermarket dials and bezels that looked cheap to me and definetly out of place...i asked the guy if he had a particular model and his reply was, "I can get that dial, etc. and have it on in a day"...that sounded shady to me...then he said they can get any dial and make it into any dial i wanted, they would just shave it down and go from there....then i asked about sending it to Rolex for service/repair and he said "why would you do that?they charge way too much and take forever to get your watch back to you." Again that wasnt sounding too good...then they said "think of it like buying a mercedes and then putting aftermarket rims on it." That was funny they said that because i actually had recently sold a new lexus suv that i put aftermarket everything on and couldnt get it serviced or anything!, what a headache that was!! anyways, moral of the story for me was, definetly buy from an AD and not a store like that that has preowned watches...the prices werent even but like a $1000 or so less which in my opinion isn't worth it and most of the watches were in bad shape! sorry for the long reply but i just went through this same thing! I ended up buying a TT/SS Yacht w/ black MOP from my local AD and am lovin' it!

good luck!
cmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2007, 05:20 AM   #4
eduardogmtii
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex gmt ii,
looks like an old lady datejust
eduardogmtii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2007, 06:01 AM   #5
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Welcome to TRF!

Personally, I'd pass on that one. Too much aftermarket.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote