The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 August 2024, 05:05 AM   #1
MilesKita-2023
"TRF" Member

Deep Sea

Hi everyone,
I have been thinking of adding a Deep Sea/Sea Dweller to my collection. Any thoughts from those who own/have owned one? Granted, it's a beautiful watch, but any issues with the weight, wearing them all day? How do they look wearing a suit? etc.

Thanks all for your input and help!
MilesKita-2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 06:49 AM   #2
pandajoe
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ Sub Pepsi SkyD
Love the D Blue - one of the favorites reasons for me is the weight and size. Wrist feel for me is the best out of all my watches
pandajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 06:53 AM   #3
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
I had the 126660 blue for a while. Both loved and hated it.

I love the dial and the clasp is the best Rolex makes. It’s big. It somehow can look good. The issue I could not get over was the curved glass. I really dislike non flat sapphire and it killed the watch for me.
Make sure to try it for more than 1 minute, because it is very very big.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 07:00 AM   #4
earlstone
"TRF" Member

I have a 126660 JC. Looking to trade it. It’s my favorite dial. Beautiful. Just is thick and on my wrist sometimes feels like it’s wearing me. It’s perspective of course. A garmin watch could be just as huge and no one would think otherwise. It’s not an elegant watch, but it’s very special in its own right. I would explore it if you’re curious and see for yourself. Don’t sleep on the black dial either, just as cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
earlstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 07:14 AM   #5
Papi
"TRF" Member

I have a 13-series JC - took me at least a week of constant wear to get used to size (prior regular choice was my sea dweller 4000) - but now feels totally natural and all other sizes feel small! And it looks fab... Go for it!
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 07:17 AM   #6
Mclark202
"TRF" Member

Sold mine. Too thick. I tried to love it.
Mclark202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 07:34 AM   #7
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Love it, both 12 and 13 series DSSD. I wouldn't wear it with a suit, albeit it is very comfortable for daily wear as it feels balanced for such a heavy watch.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 07:45 AM   #8
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
If you have the frame for it, it works. I loved mine when I had it. Decently balanced for how big it was and the glide lock clasp was amazing. It got a bad rap for being comically big, but it's supposed to be. That's the allure. I wore a JC as a daily for a year before moving on.
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 07:56 AM   #9
Deep18
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Big wrist or a big watch lover. DSSD with a JC dial is amazing. Something a little smaller but amazing. The SD43 all day.
Deep18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 08:07 AM   #10
Kingranch
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
116660 here and I wear mine 24/7 for the last 4 years. No issues at all.
Old 3 August 2024, 08:10 AM   #11
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Amazing reference but a weekend or rotation watch for me. I did find it heavy, but not uncomfortable like the SD43.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 08:24 AM   #12
MplsMN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Amazing reference but a weekend or rotation watch for me. I did find it heavy, but not uncomfortable like the SD43.
Hi! I had the SD43, with the deep sea being bigger and heavier, how did you find it more comfortable than the SD43?
MplsMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 08:27 AM   #13
brandrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsMN View Post
Hi! I had the SD43, with the deep sea being bigger and heavier, how did you find it more comfortable than the SD43?

For me, I preferred the flatter, larger caseback of the DBlue.

The SD43 had a smaller convex shaped caseback that was sort of uncomfortable on my wrist.

Many here find the SD43 supremely comfortable … a few of us others, not so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 August 2024, 08:40 AM   #14
Edwardfry3
"TRF" Member

The weight can be a bit heavier than other watches, but most people get used to it after wearing it for a while. They look super stylish with a suit, very classy! Do you already have a Submariner? How's that one treating you?
Edwardfry3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 09:13 AM   #15
Mclark202
"TRF" Member

It’s a hefty watch. For me I just didn’t like the size more than the weight though.

Mclark202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 09:39 AM   #16
RustyW
"TRF" Member

I had one. Liked its heft and size. The large case, tech, domed crystal, clasp, and steel ring around the dial are so cool. I found it very balanced and comfortable to wear.

I did not like the narrow bracelet (I had first iteration from 2008 right when they came out), black/bold text printed on the cool steel ring, or all the text on the dial.

They fixed some of the above issues, but until they x the text around the ringlock/ring, I can't do it. If they did fix it, I would buy another. I moved on the SD 43 and love the watch. It is nearly perfect for me.
RustyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 11:01 AM   #17
Kingranch
"TRF" Member

Bunch of pansies on this thread.

Man up and wear it!
Old 3 August 2024, 11:15 AM   #18
kayaker21
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Deepsea is a great reference

Have both the Jc and black first generation. Love everything about them,when I think they are to big I just wear my SS ploprof for a couple of days.
kayaker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 12:11 PM   #19
rohada
"TRF" Member

Have the 11 series and a 7.25 wrist, 6'-3" and it wears great for me. The glidelock allows you to properly position and secure the watch so it isn't rolling on your wrist, which is super annoying to me for a watch this size and heft.
Old 3 August 2024, 12:14 PM   #20
rohada
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker21 View Post
Have both the Jc and black first generation. Love everything about them,when I think they are to big I just wear my SS ploprof for a couple of days.
Ownership of my current 116660 and my SS Ploprof had several months of overlap and I agree that the Ploprof is a beast. Cool, for sure, but a beast on the wrist.
Old 3 August 2024, 02:43 PM   #21
Mldrake
"TRF" Member

I had one for 10 years. Loved it. As for wear with formal attire, you may need custom shirts to fit under a cuff. It’s very thick.
Mldrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 03:43 PM   #22
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I’m enjoying mine but leaning towards trading in for the YG model
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 06:27 PM   #23
waterman1
2024 Pledge Member

I’ve had a DSSD since 2010 and been on fence to sell many times. Something always brings me back to this watch and has truly been my favorite Rolex over the years. Yes, somehow I feel the shape of the DSSD is actually more comfortable than the smaller sd43 which I have as well. Lots of debate on this issue and appears to be a personal fit item. All in all DSSD is amazing watch in my opinion.
waterman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 09:06 PM   #24
CaptT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesKita-2023 View Post
Hi everyone,
I have been thinking of adding a Deep Sea/Sea Dweller to my collection. Any thoughts from those who own/have owned one? Granted, it's a beautiful watch, but any issues with the weight, wearing them all day? How do they look wearing a suit? etc.

Thanks all for your input and help!
The DSSD is awesome, in both dial iterations. I particularly appreciate the utilitarian look of the black dial, though there’s no denying the D-blue is stunning. The watch is obviously big, but wears comfortably thanks to the wider bracelet on the 126660 and 136660.

The SD43 is nearly perfect, but just didn’t wear comfortably for me. I’d probably still own it if the caseback was not so bulbous.

Quote:
Quote:
For me, I preferred the flatter, larger caseback of the DBlue.

The SD43 had a smaller convex shaped caseback that was sort of uncomfortable on my wrist.

Many here find the SD43 supremely comfortable … a few of us others, not so much
Agreed - the larger/flatter caseback of the 126660 made a big difference in wearing comfort relative to the SD43. And I believe the 136660 has an even larger/flatter surface area.
CaptT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 09:09 PM   #25
brandrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclark202 View Post
It’s a hefty watch. For me I just didn’t like the size more than the weight though.

Great comparison
Old 3 August 2024, 09:30 PM   #26
Dirt
"TRF" Member

I have 2 of them. A black dial and D-blue.
The black was the first and it took me quite some time to get used to it, but no problems after a while.
Then came the issue of all my other Rolex watches becoming redundant and so they were sold off as surplace to needs as wonderful as they were and everything.
I wore my D-blue on my wedding day under a l/s shirt and suit coat no problems
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 09:46 PM   #27
humphries.mc
"TRF" Member

I’m a big guy. Have the new JC Deepsea. Came from an Omega Planet Ocean and have always worn big watches. 8 in wrist. The weight is not noticeable to me. It doesn’t wear thick and the clasp was the biggest reason I chose this model. But the dial is amazing too. If you have a bony wrist it will look like it is riding high. But it’s perfect for me.
humphries.mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 09:53 PM   #28
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I've owned one since they were first introduced. It's one of the watches that will never leave my collection.
I don't wear it daily but have zero issues with size, weight and comfort (I almost never wear a suit, so I can't comment on that). It feels and looks more special than most other watches with the engineering of the case and gradient blue dial.
A big yes for me.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 10:18 PM   #29
Jeevesbond
"TRF" Member

Have a 136660 jc. I absolutely love it. Its been my daily since i got it a few months back and due to glidelock clasp and bracelet i dont notice it but it gets noticed. I have multiple rolexes and yet this is one of my favorites alongside 116610LV. The domed glass and tech as well as lack of cyclops makes it unique. Id say go for it!
Jeevesbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2024, 11:28 PM   #30
Powerplay13
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126660 & 136668LB
The Deep Sea is an awesome and beautiful watch.
I have worn my 126660 D-Blue deep sea regularly since purchased in 2018, and I really love it.

It is definitely a large and heavy watch, but when I wear it, I really don’t notice the weight as it seems very well balanced and not top heavy on my wrist.

The glidelock clasp is really good as you can make quick size adjustments.

As most folks say, the dial is beautiful.
But as one member said on this thread he didn’t like the ‘ringlock text’.
When I first saw the D-Blue online I also had a major issue with this, as this text in the pictures looked very pronounced and I hated it.
I also said at the time that it was a deal breaker for me…….until I finally saw the watch in person.
When on my wrist, the text is much smaller than it looks in pictures so it’s not nearly as noticeable.

Regarding wearing the watch with a suit, it works for me but maybe I happen to have the right cuffs.

Finally since I love my D-Blue so much, 6 weeks ago I was able to purchase the 136668LB yellow gold deep sea.
In person, the blue dial and yellow gold is an absolutely stunning combination. It is really beautiful and looks so much better in person than any online pictures I’ve seen.
I was slightly concerned that it might be uncomfortably heavier than my 126660, but once on my wrist, I really don’t feel it.

Believe it or not, my wife really loves it too (after originally saying she thought it would look gaudy, etc….she was wrong).

So for me….
*Either model of the deep sea is beautiful and impressive
*They are comfortable to wear, and the glidelock clasp is excellent
*The weight is not an issue
*Depending on your shirt cuffs, you can wear with a suit
*And I like the engineering of the watch where one ‘could’ (but never would) dive to 12.800 feet

See picture link:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/njnqy...7hx2911nu&dl=0

(can anyone tell me how to post pics without using a weblink?...thank you)

Check out the deep sea in person……I hope you love it as much as I do.
Powerplay13 is offline   Reply With Quote