The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 August 2024, 03:48 AM   #1
WristWatchWonders
"TRF" Member

Considering an Oysterquartz

I'm considering adding an oysterquartz to my collection. The model holds an interesting and unique place in the Rolex catalog.

What are some of the pitfalls to owning this model? I've heard the movement can be a bit temperamental. Is Rolex still servicing the oysterquartz? How long does the battery last and does it need to go back to Rolex to be changed?

Any input or overall impressions of the wearing experience from past or current owners would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
WristWatchWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 04:25 AM   #2
Green Man 23
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 36
I also have s soft spot for this watch but have heard that service is a problem. Have I heard right?
Green Man 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 04:33 AM   #3
Kingsking
"TRF" Member

Had mine for 3 years and never needed to have the battery replaced but you can replace the battery yourself or any quality watchmaker can . I cant comment on the movement servicing but I too have heard it might be an issue. If you do decide to get one just buy the best condition case you can find. The Oysterquartz is all about the sharp angles and bracelet so make sure you don't get one thats been over polished.
Old 8 August 2024, 04:35 AM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WristWatchWonders View Post
I'm considering adding an oysterquartz to my collection. The model holds an interesting and unique place in the Rolex catalog.

What are some of the pitfalls to owning this model? I've heard the movement can be a bit temperamental. Is Rolex still servicing the oysterquartz? How long does the battery last and does it need to go back to Rolex to be changed?

Any input or overall impressions of the wearing experience from past or current owners would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Pre Rolex own quartz movement there was about 16 Swiss companies involved in the development of the first Beta 21 quartz movement.And Bulova Accutron paid a high part in development of the step motor,the battery life then was around 12 months.And at this time Rolex could not alter the design of the beta 21 movement,to fit there Oyster case,so only stated the 5100 was water resist and not waterproof this was the first Rolex with sapphire crystal.Later they started around 1972 to develop there own movement,and the design was very still close to the beta movement,but now designed to fit a oyster type case.

The Thermo-compensated Quartz watches made by Rolex:

Caliber: Rolex 5035 (and 5055 for the Day-Date model)
Technology: single 32 kHz crystal using the forced constant frequency (TCVCXO) method
Annual accuracy: around ±60 seconds (Rolex has never stated an official accuracy specification.)
Rate adjustable?: yes, via trimmer condenser (user adjustable)
Watches that use this movement:

Rolex Oyster-quartz (1977 to 2001)

Note 1: We are unaware of any other watch using TCVCXO technology.
Note 2: While discontinued, we have heard that Rolex plans to introduce a new quartz movement with update technology and perpetual calendar. More can
Ref http://www.oysterquartz.net/

Selected Grand Seiko quartz model now these were very accurate quartz model but very expensive then.

Note 1: Seiko re-issued a limited edition of the "Astron" in 2000 that used a special version of the 9F movement that was rated to ± 2 seconds per year after adjustment.
Now certainly by the Japanese movement accuracy was much better than the Rolex movement
Note 2: The 9F movement is reportedly designed to run fifty years before it needs servicing.
Note 3: Other Grand Seiko quartz models use the 8J movement. Even less is know about this movement.
Source of information: Japanese retail sites

And just a little bit more its possible that the new Oysterquartz could be reborn 2009 Basil Show.

The Next Oysterquartz?

In 2004, an Oysterquartz watch was offered at auction by Antiquorum that looked like an ordinary 17014 stainless model with the white gold bezel. Upon closer examination, however, it was clear this watch was something unique and many wondered if it was a genuine Rolex. There was no reference number on the back of the watch where one would expect to see it engraved on a typical Oysterquartz. And the watch contained a heretofore unheard of 23 jewel quartz movement marked "5335" with a date function that employed a perpetual calendar mechanism that could be completely adjusted using the crown.

This mystery watch was never sold because it was pulled when Rolex told Antiquorum officials that it had been stolen from them. A civil lawsuit ensued in Switzerland between the owner of the watch and Rolex. Rolex lost this suit largely due to the testimony of former and current Rolex employees who testified that it was common practise for Rolex to dispose of prototype watches by giving them to employees. Also, the fact that Rolex had never reported the watch to the police as stolen didn't help their case. The publicity surrounding the trial served to confirm the authenticity and provenance of this watch and ensure its value as a collector's piece when it is eventually offered for sale again.

Prototype Oysterquartz Day-Date Perpetual Calendar

Thanks to a former Rolex insider (who no longer works for Rolex), I am able to confirm not only the existence of the Oysterquartz Perpetual Calendar, but give some details about this watch, which is without doubt the rarest Oysterquartz ever produced by Rolex.

Approximately eleven prototype Oysterquartz Perpetual Calendar watches were produced.

They were produced in Datejust and Day-Date versions.
All prototypes were encased in 17014 SS cases with white gold bezels.

No external reference numbers were engraved on the cases.

The movement used in the Datejust model was designated the 5335 and had 23 jewels.

The movement used in the Day-Date model was designated the 5355 and had 23 jewels.

The movement is silent, with no audible tic (a marked difference from the original Oysterquartz).

The perpetual calendar function of this watch was patented by Rolex: Swiss Patent number CH 672 222 G A3.

The 5335 movement used in the Oysterquartz Perpetual Calendar, the lack of a battery compartment,and a Rolex coronet on the gold battery contact.

Now don't forget there are quite a lot of mechanical parts in a quartz analogue watch.The same drive train as the cal 3135 less the balance and escapement and main spring.Its main spring is the battery and escapement the quartz crystal. And the quartz movement is more expensive than its mechanical brother.Oysterquartz uses a SR344 battery and it's not rocket science to change it yourself if you have the correct caseback tool.You can buy a pack of 5xSR344 batteries for around £8-£10 it's not like if its some special Rolex certified battery its just a normal run of the mill battery.But trouble today once you mention Rolex the price always escalates 10 fold, it's no different to change a battery in a Rolex as to changing one in say a Seiko.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 07:18 AM   #5
GRabens
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many Rolex!
Just be prepared to take a hit on it if you ever decide to move on from it. Other than that, I'd buy one if you really like the style of the cases and the oxy-moron of owning a quartz Rolex! It has a reputation of being one of the best quartz movements ever made.
GRabens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 07:27 AM   #6
danicasi2002
"TRF" Member

I have one complete with B/P, manufactured a year before they discontinued it. Very nice case. All steel and raised Roman numerals (not painted). My only complaint is the battery. I have not tracked the frequency. But I feel it was more frequent than the Casio and other quartz watch. The advantage is: RSC will change the battery free of charge and the only cost to you is shipping it to RSC.
danicasi2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 07:36 AM   #7
daysky1
"TRF" Member

I've done some research into quartz movements I've never specifically focused on the Rolex Oyster quartz. the quartz movement itself isn't difficult to manufacture I just wonder what the difference is between a standard quartz movement and the Rolex quartz movement unless it's not about the quartz movement but about the mechanical involvement of wheels and such in the movement does anyone know I'd be interested to find out.
daysky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 07:43 AM   #8
77T
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Pre Rolex own quartz movement there was about 16 Swiss companies involved in the development of the first Beta 21 quartz movement.And Bulova Accutron paid a high part in development of the step motor,the battery life then was around 12 months.And at this time Rolex could not alter the design of the beta 21 movement,to fit there Oyster case,so only stated the 5100 was water resist and not waterproof this was the first Rolex with sapphire crystal.Later they started around 1972 to develop there own movement,and the design was very still close to the beta movement,but now designed to fit a oyster type case.

The Thermo-compensated Quartz watches made by Rolex:

Caliber: Rolex 5035 (and 5055 for the Day-Date model)
Technology: single 32 kHz crystal using the forced constant frequency (TCVCXO) method
Annual accuracy: around ±60 seconds (Rolex has never stated an official accuracy specification.)
Rate adjustable?: yes, via trimmer condenser (user adjustable)
Watches that use this movement:

Rolex Oyster-quartz (1977 to 2001)

Note 1: We are unaware of any other watch using TCVCXO technology.
Note 2: While discontinued, we have heard that Rolex plans to introduce a new quartz movement with update technology and perpetual calendar. More can
Ref http://www.oysterquartz.net/

Selected Grand Seiko quartz model now these were very accurate quartz model but very expensive then.

Note 1: Seiko re-issued a limited edition of the "Astron" in 2000 that used a special version of the 9F movement that was rated to ± 2 seconds per year after adjustment.
Now certainly by the Japanese movement accuracy was much better than the Rolex movement
Note 2: The 9F movement is reportedly designed to run fifty years before it needs servicing.
Note 3: Other Grand Seiko quartz models use the 8J movement. Even less is know about this movement.
Source of information: Japanese retail sites

And just a little bit more its possible that the new Oysterquartz could be reborn 2009 Basil Show.

The Next Oysterquartz?

In 2004, an Oysterquartz watch was offered at auction by Antiquorum that looked like an ordinary 17014 stainless model with the white gold bezel. Upon closer examination, however, it was clear this watch was something unique and many wondered if it was a genuine Rolex. There was no reference number on the back of the watch where one would expect to see it engraved on a typical Oysterquartz. And the watch contained a heretofore unheard of 23 jewel quartz movement marked "5335" with a date function that employed a perpetual calendar mechanism that could be completely adjusted using the crown.

This mystery watch was never sold because it was pulled when Rolex told Antiquorum officials that it had been stolen from them. A civil lawsuit ensued in Switzerland between the owner of the watch and Rolex. Rolex lost this suit largely due to the testimony of former and current Rolex employees who testified that it was common practise for Rolex to dispose of prototype watches by giving them to employees. Also, the fact that Rolex had never reported the watch to the police as stolen didn't help their case. The publicity surrounding the trial served to confirm the authenticity and provenance of this watch and ensure its value as a collector's piece when it is eventually offered for sale again.

Prototype Oysterquartz Day-Date Perpetual Calendar

Thanks to a former Rolex insider (who no longer works for Rolex), I am able to confirm not only the existence of the Oysterquartz Perpetual Calendar, but give some details about this watch, which is without doubt the rarest Oysterquartz ever produced by Rolex.

Approximately eleven prototype Oysterquartz Perpetual Calendar watches were produced.

They were produced in Datejust and Day-Date versions.
All prototypes were encased in 17014 SS cases with white gold bezels.

No external reference numbers were engraved on the cases.

The movement used in the Datejust model was designated the 5335 and had 23 jewels.

The movement used in the Day-Date model was designated the 5355 and had 23 jewels.

The movement is silent, with no audible tic (a marked difference from the original Oysterquartz).

The perpetual calendar function of this watch was patented by Rolex: Swiss Patent number CH 672 222 G A3.

The 5335 movement used in the Oysterquartz Perpetual Calendar, the lack of a battery compartment,and a Rolex coronet on the gold battery contact.

Now don't forget there are quite a lot of mechanical parts in a quartz analogue watch.The same drive train as the cal 3135 less the balance and escapement and main spring.Its main spring is the battery and escapement the quartz crystal. And the quartz movement is more expensive than its mechanical brother.Oysterquartz uses a SR344 battery and it's not rocket science to change it yourself if you have the correct caseback tool.You can buy a pack of 5xSR344 batteries for around £8-£10 it's not like if its some special Rolex certified battery its just a normal run of the mill battery.But trouble today once you mention Rolex the price always escalates 10 fold, it's no different to change a battery in a Rolex as to changing one in say a Seiko.

Exceptional post Peter.

I have read a thread on TRF in the past about difficulty sourcing replacement stepper motors and circuit boards.

They seem to be a recurring replacement after 10 years or so

Together they can cost $2,000 on eBay.

Do you recall hearing of any difficulty with motors needing replacement after 10 years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 08:57 AM   #9
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

They are incredible watches. Incredible engineering and history. I've had a few of them over the years. A couple of bits of advice I'd give you if you are thinking of adding one to your collection - buy the best condition one you can find and consider sending it off for service through a Rolex Service Center to make sure everything is working at top condition. Because these watches are getting older, it might get harder to have significant movement repairs done properly. Get it done through an RSC while you can and rest comfortably that you've got one of the coolest watches ever made by Rolex.
Old 8 August 2024, 09:44 AM   #10
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Lots of misinformation on the OQ. They can be expensive to service but the circuit boards and ‘motor’ are good for 20 to 25 years or even longer. My 1979 OQ had both originals and was still running fine. Source - Lititz RSC where my Oysterquartz is now for service. Can be tough to find a mint one as most of these were worn and worn hard. They are built like tanks. Very solid watch.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 10:01 AM   #11
michaelstyle
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 129600
You cant beat the aesthetics of the OQ, I find myself reaching for mine a majority of the time. Mine just came back from service at the RSC last week, it came back looking beautiful. As previously stated parts are becoming harder to find, 3 months ago I called the Dallas RSC and all they had was a bracelet and a case back for the 17000, I picked up the bracelet. OP I would not hesitate to add one to your collection.
michaelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 05:27 PM   #12
TikTok
"TRF" Member

You want quartz? Go with Grand Seiko. The best there is.
Old 8 August 2024, 10:57 PM   #13
aniconic
"TRF" Member

Yes, Rolex Still Service

For example, go to a CPO Rolex site and you'll see a variety of Oysterquartz models (including Day-Date models) all serviced. I enquired about one and was told that the quartz mechanism had been replaced with a new one during refurbishment. But the watch sold before I could pull the trigger and I haven't found another example of this particular model since.

If you go the CPO route, be aware that there is no set price: Difference vendors set different prices, and these can vary by thousands of dollars (I'm comparing US-based CPO sites). Don't pay attention to people who say all CPO are overpriced. First, it depends on the model, and second, it depends on the particular CPO site. Third, take into account the cost of a complete overhaul including new quartz mechanism and an absolute guarantee that it is genuine.

As others have said, it's a niche watch. Buy if you like and enjoy in good health. Do not buy if you are concerned about recouping your money. Absolutely do not buy as an investment.
aniconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2024, 11:44 PM   #14
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the watch and would consider the right model at a reasonable price.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 12:02 AM   #15
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikTok View Post
You want quartz? Go with Grand Seiko. The best there is.
THIS is the answer. It's in current production, and it's extremely unlikely that GS will discontinue support for the 9F as it's built to have a 25 year service interval outside of battery changes.

I bought one this spring and while it's rated at +/- 10 seconds per year the reality is it has never varied by more than a second from my WWVB receiver. With the independent hour hand, you really only have to hack it once per battery change.

Lastly, they practically give these away compared to a Rolex. I paid a mere $2,600 + sales tax for mine from a GS AD.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 09:28 AM   #16
johnliley

The OQ is a great watch. They can be a pain to service. Rolex RSC is running out of parts keep that in mind. My local Rolex fellow serviced mine and is Rolex certified and has a parts account. I bought my first one new out of the case in 2006 it having sat there 3 years best I can tell. I have the OQ Day Date too my example is from 1981 in white gold and is very accurate. Batteries last about 2 years on average. Great watches. 11 jewel mov't with a 3000 caliber base to it.

JL
Old 9 August 2024, 11:31 AM   #17
goldfixer21

I bought a 17000 a few years ago that was missing some parts. Through a good friend with a LOT of contacts with watchmakers, I was able to get original parts to fix it. It's been running flawlessly since. I never wear it, but its still a cool conversation piece.
goldfixer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 02:50 PM   #18
Watchdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: I can't tell time
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77t View Post
exceptional post peter.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk pro
x2
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 03:59 PM   #19
wm82
"TRF" Member

It's a fantastic watch, built like a tank. Case and bracelet condition is key. Rolex still have plenty of parts and will support it until at least 2037 as it was sold up until 2006. Motor and circuit are expensive if needed but on the other hand it runs for 15-20 years flawlessly with just a new battery every 2 years.

The date mechanism is the same as calibre 3035. The wheel train has no similarities at all to 31 or 3035, lots of errors in Padis copy pasted text above, as usual.
wm82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 06:00 PM   #20
Swearengen
"TRF" Member

Try to get one with a sharp case
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OQ TT.jpg (151.3 KB, 229 views)

1680 1675 16800 16570 16710 17000 16613 17013

Gone but not forgotten 16610LV 1016
Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 02:09 AM   #21
INC

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
The publicity surrounding the trial served to confirm the authenticity and provenance of this watch and ensure its value as a collector's piece when it is eventually offered for sale again.
Thanks for the great post Padi

Based on this, I think, I found this watch here:

https://catalog.antiquorum.swiss/en/...tz-lot-329-378

INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 10:18 AM   #22
WristWatchWonders
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the great responses, everyone.
Let the hunt begin!

Sent from my moto g 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk
WristWatchWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 10:46 AM   #23
Andad

Watch: A few.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 10:48 AM   #24
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Peter's post is "spot on."
Old 10 August 2024, 11:20 PM   #25
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I hear Rolex doesn't service the movements anymore and it is hard to find service elsewhere. Finding one in good working order is key.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 12:15 AM   #26
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I hear Rolex doesn't service the movements anymore and it is hard to find service elsewhere. Finding one in good working order is key.
Fake news. My OQ is at RSC right now. Getting new circuit board and full service.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 12:37 AM   #27
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Fake news. My OQ is at RSC right now. Getting new circuit board and full service.
Great news. Hope you have it back soon.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 01:22 AM   #28
tictic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INC;13362746 Based on this, I think, I found this watch here:
[img
https://imagescatalog.antiquorum.swiss/images/329/lots/378/378_5.jpg[/img]
Where is the battery?
Would the movement need to be partially disassembled to get to the battery?
tictic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 03:16 AM   #29
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
Real watches have mechanical movements. JMO.
JoseR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 03:27 AM   #30
J_L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Seiko
I own a 18k yellow gold one and it’s still in amazing condition and runs great. Bought it a few years back from an AD. It must of been a safe queen and it came with everything plus a Rolex warranty. Absolutely love that watch.
J_L is offline   Reply With Quote