The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 February 2022, 03:12 PM   #1
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Recommended Strategy with ADs?

So I got a promotion a few months ago and finally decided to get a Rolex. I have been into watches for a while, and want to build a collection. In any case, I bought a couple of watches at the AD that I had been looking at and the AD. He told me he would get me a Root Beer by the end of the year. Great. He has not intimated that any further purchases are necessary. I have a pretty good relationship with the SA.

Here’s my question. I have been looking at a JLC that I have been lusting after for a while in the meantime. I will buy this regardless of the Rolex purchase. I’m trying to decide how to proceed. Here are my options as I see them.

1)Buy the JLC at at the current AD. I could just buy it, or I could say, I’ll buy the JLC when they deliver the Rolex.

2) buy the JLC at another AD since the first AD has told me he will get me a watch this year and put myself on list for other Rolexes.

3) Buy the JLC grey. This will result in a small savings compared to what I would pay at AD who will give me a discount.

My goal is to buy more watches. I would like a couple more Rolexes eventually in addition to other brands. So buying the Rootbeer at grey makes less sense to me.

So the basic question is this. Spread your purchases around or put all your eggs in one basket?

What say the forum?
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 03:41 PM   #2
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

Right now buying luxury watches and penny pinching do not seem to go together. If you think your AD is solid, it may be worth buying the JLC from them, even if you spend a little more to increase your status with them. Cheaper than going grey.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 04:05 PM   #3
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Grey makes sense to me if you want one watch. But if you want multiple watches and want non-Rolexes in addition to Rolexes and are willing to wait, it seems that it isn’t the most cost effective option.

Yeah, it sucks not being able to walk in and buy the Rolex, but that’s not the world as it exists today. So if it’s a game, you may as well play with optimal strategy.
Old 18 February 2022, 04:06 PM   #4
Tanuki
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Man View Post
Right now buying luxury watches and penny pinching do not seem to go together. If you think your AD is solid, it may be worth buying the JLC from them, even if you spend a little more to increase your status with them. Cheaper than going grey.
I agree. I would consolidate my purchases since they are treating you well. I wouldn’t use the JLC as leverage for the Rolex and try to strong arm them if you have a good relationship. They should reward you for the purchase on their own. It would also be a good test for them if they don’t.
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 04:16 PM   #5
Vigilante24
"TRF" Member

From the context, I would not go grey. Having a good relationship with a SA and having purchase history in other brands besides Rolex is great. AD sounds like a keeper if they pull through and get you the CHNR this year. I would hold off on the JLC purchase for now and feel it out. I am not the biggest fan of putting all my eggs in one basket in this market. In all honesty, I would purchase the JLC at a different AD and establish at 2 different ADs. Good luck!
Vigilante24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 05:05 PM   #6
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Forgive my ignorance but why not just wait for the root beer? Then buy the JLC after that, at the same AD. I think that would be more favorable to you as you alternating brands with your purchase (e.g. root beer 1st, then JLC, then maybe some other Rolex 3rd...)
Old 18 February 2022, 05:10 PM   #7
Andad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Buy it from your Rolex AD.

It is the current “bundling standard” of the day providing the JLC is not a sought after model.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 05:32 PM   #8
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
Forgive my ignorance but why not just wait for the root beer? Then buy the JLC after that, at the same AD. I think that would be more favorable to you as you alternating brands with your purchase (e.g. root beer 1st, then JLC, then maybe some other Rolex 3rd...)

That makes total sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 February 2022, 06:12 PM   #9
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
But the JLC now from the AD that is getting you the Rolex. But no games, just buy it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 06:50 PM   #10
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Stick with AD and ask for discount .

They know secondary markets, if they push back, tell them. Tell them it’s 20% cheaper BNIB and ask for 15%. Anything that goes for over retail they won’t usually move on, anything under, possibly.

To be honest way back when I bought JLC you could get over 20% and then JLc had a major crackdown in 2017 on discounting.

JLC are massively under appreciated and extremely good value so it’s a shame they depreciate but what are you going to save 1k gbp ish. You’d make that back in earnings in no time. It isn’t worth quibbling over
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 07:03 PM   #11
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
I would go to other AD’s, find the biggest discount for your JLC then ask them to price match

I got 35-37% off my reverso grande calendar but still lost 40% of that when I resold. Whereas now there’ll be some models that have no discount so it also depends on the JLC model. Tribute small seconds no discount for eg.
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 10:41 PM   #12
1William
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
JLC is an amazing watch but is a rock in the secondary market and many can not be sold to dealers as they have a hard time with them. I would look in the secondary market for the JLC you want and you might find a great example for 40-60% off. Nothing the AD can touch. It is about the watches and of course the funds it takes to buy them but I would not spend one dime more than what it takes to get what I want. The other money can be used to purchase other watches. Good luck on the GMT and I hope your AD comes through.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2022, 11:49 PM   #13
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

I have had a watch recon alert on for the JLC for 2-3 months and have not seen an example at all. For a watch that came out in 2020
When I search the typical grey players there are no deals to be had, unless you count a 5 percent discount at WatchRapport, which I think is a scam site. So maybe they drop like a stone, but it’s not like this thing is easy to find used.
Old 19 February 2022, 12:04 AM   #14
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Support your AD. They're treating you well so I don't really understand why you would purchase the JLC somewhere else. Purchasing the JLC somewhere else hardly seems fair to your AD. That's my
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2022, 12:33 AM   #15
paxjedi
"TRF" Member

I stopped reading after the second sentence.....

Old 19 February 2022, 12:43 AM   #16
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
I think long term it will benefit you to stay with your AD. I would probably wait to buy the JLC till after you get the CHNR but if you really want it now go for it... the more you spend the more you get..
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2022, 12:51 AM   #17
d.n.d.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2201.51
I would go with your AD as well, your dollar goes farther in terms of building your purchase history. They sound like they will take care of you, no games or run-around. To me they earned your business.
d.n.d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2022, 12:53 AM   #18
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
No harm trying both 1 and 2 but only one transaction. If they want to sell you a JLC, the Rolex has to be included in the deal.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2022, 12:53 AM   #19
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
My goal is to buy more watches.
Then buy them

When did deciding to buy things become so difficult?
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2022, 12:58 AM   #20
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
Support your AD. They're treating you well so I don't really understand why you would purchase the JLC somewhere else. Purchasing the JLC somewhere else hardly seems fair to your AD. That's my

To be clear, the AD has done zero for me other than be nice to me and tell me they would get me a watch in the next 10 months. Which I guess is more than what a lot of folks report.
Old 19 February 2022, 01:01 AM   #21
RazorD
"TRF" Member

If you have a good relationship with that AD and they said they aim to get you the root beer by year-end, I’d buy from them. It will only help build your relationship and go towards them actually delivering the watch when the time comes.
RazorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2022, 01:02 AM   #22
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Like I said, if everyone says it’s a game, you may as well play with optimal strategy.
Old 19 February 2022, 01:05 AM   #23
mattidk
"TRF" Member

i might do #2 to increase chances at another AD, but still keep your faith to your first AD - maybe buy some other stuffs there really depends how good relations you already have.
mattidk is offline   Reply With Quote