The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 September 2024, 05:45 AM   #1
Daniel_DXB
"TRF" Member

Undated Warranty Rolex Paper Concern

Hello everyone.
I am looking to buy my first Rolex timepiece, and I have been eyeing the Rolex Explorer for some time now. I am not an expert at authenticating watches, so when spending a good chunk of my money on something, I try my best to do my due diligence wherever possible. I came across a nice deal online for a Y serial 114270 Mk1 Explorer 36mm with the full set.
Today, I paid the watch dealer that's selling the watch a visit, mainly to know more about the company and also to view the watch and take some pictures for further research. I must admit, the moment I put the watch on my wrist, I fell in love with it. The watch in itself is in excellent condition, however I have one concern that perhaps some of you reading this thread could help me out with.
Although on the bright side, the serial number and model number of the watch on both the warranty paper and tag matches to that on the time piece, I have noted that the warranty paper is undated, and does not have the original buyer’s details included, although the name of the Rolex AD is present on the warranty paper. I’m a layman when it comes to authenticating watches, however wouldn’t this raise a concern to the validity of the warranty (even though the watch is a 2002 model, hence it not being under warranty anymore), and would this affect the value of the watch?
Any opinions from experts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Daniel_DXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2024, 08:20 AM   #2
MDR143
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR
My opinion is to buy new. That’s not a terribly difficult watch to get. Visit a lots of ADs and you should have it within a year.
MDR143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2024, 08:52 AM   #3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
ADs don't always write the name of the original purchaser on the warranty card (paper??), but do write the date of purchase. Does not impact the value of the watch, perhaps you can use that as a negotiation item (I doubt it). As you said the its a 2002 so the warranty is really a moot point.... Good luck, buy the seller...
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2024, 09:24 AM   #4
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
On a 2002 watch, I do not believe the value would be affected. Condition is the number one concern. Has the watch been heavily polished, so the edges are soft, etc.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2024, 12:10 PM   #5
rolexnerd
"TRF" Member

Given that the watch is over 20 years old, the papers hold little significance at this stage. The primary concerns should be the watch’s condition and the warranty provided by the dealer in case any issues arise.
rolexnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2024, 12:59 PM   #6
MovieGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_DXB View Post
Hello everyone.
I am looking to buy my first Rolex timepiece, and I have been eyeing the Rolex Explorer for some time now. I am not an expert at authenticating watches, so when spending a good chunk of my money on something, I try my best to do my due diligence wherever possible. I came across a nice deal online for a Y serial 114270 Mk1 Explorer 36mm with the full set.
Today, I paid the watch dealer that's selling the watch a visit, mainly to know more about the company and also to view the watch and take some pictures for further research. I must admit, the moment I put the watch on my wrist, I fell in love with it. The watch in itself is in excellent condition, however I have one concern that perhaps some of you reading this thread could help me out with.
Although on the bright side, the serial number and model number of the watch on both the warranty paper and tag matches to that on the time piece, I have noted that the warranty paper is undated, and does not have the original buyer’s details included, although the name of the Rolex AD is present on the warranty paper. I’m a layman when it comes to authenticating watches, however wouldn’t this raise a concern to the validity of the warranty (even though the watch is a 2002 model, hence it not being under warranty anymore), and would this affect the value of the watch?
Thank you
I agree. That isn't a difficult watch to find at all and if you are at all hesitant due to the open papers you'll have no issues finding a different one.
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2024, 02:39 PM   #7
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Open papers are very common and preferable imho. It’s nice, you can write your own name
Old 2 September 2024, 06:53 PM   #8
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

If there is a doubt there is no doubt. If you are not 100% convinced it's genuine you are wasting your time. There are plenty more out there.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2024, 09:33 PM   #9
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
I had a 114270 with undated and unnamed warranty papers before I bought a 124270. It's not an issue.

Just buy from a reputable business and you should be fine.
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2024, 09:47 PM   #10
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Open papers are very common and preferable imho. It’s nice, you can write your own name
This ^^^
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2024, 09:59 PM   #11
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
For a pre-owned watch it is all about the seller. For a watch of that age with no service history, or no service history documentation, I would be concerned if all parts are original and specifically for that model. Whatever the price is you might figure in an additional 1k for a service at a RSC. Could be less or more but that would be close. I would look at our Trusted Sellers and find a watch that is current and under warranty that has the correct box, manuals and an active warranty card with some time left on it. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2024, 01:23 AM   #12
pk552502
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570 black
The warranty paper for this watch is the punched hole kind, right? The warranty paper for one of my watches from about '97 also is an open paper with only the AD stamp and no date or purchaser detail. I think it's fairly normal and I wouldn't let that stop me from getting the watch. Why don't you post a couple pictures of the watch to get additional feedback.

BTW, I like the case shape of the 114270 better than the new models so I would go for the 114270 over a new one. If it's in great condition like you say and the price is right, I say go for it. These are a good deal right now IMO.
pk552502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2024, 01:33 AM   #13
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Many papers were left “open”. The date only matters if watch is under warranty. It has no bearing on authenticity or full set.
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2024, 03:08 AM   #14
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_DXB View Post
. . .. I’m a layman when it comes to authenticating watches, however wouldn’t this raise a concern to the validity of the warranty (even though the watch is a 2002 model, hence it not being under warranty anymore), and would this affect the value of the watch?
Thank you
Yes, it is likely that this was a Grey Import watch and never had a valid Rolex warranty.

It means very little else and has no impact on the market value or validity of the watch, which would need to be "authenticated" by itself.
Old 3 September 2024, 10:31 PM   #15
Daniel_DXB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDR143 View Post
My opinion is to buy new. That’s not a terribly difficult watch to get. Visit a lots of ADs and you should have it within a year.
The new 36mm Explorer 1 model costs up to 50% more than the price of a neo-vintage Explorer 1 😅
Old 3 September 2024, 10:35 PM   #16
Daniel_DXB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911991 View Post
ADs don't always write the name of the original purchaser on the warranty card (paper??), but do write the date of purchase. Does not impact the value of the watch, perhaps you can use that as a negotiation item (I doubt it). As you said the its a 2002 so the warranty is really a moot point.... Good luck, buy the seller...
After I started this friend, I was told by some watch dealer buddies of mine that although it was uncommon, some watches back in the early 2000s were sold with open papers (no such thing as a Rolex warranty card back in this era). As far of my knowledge goes, watches being sold with open Rolex warranty cards do not happen as often as they did.
Old 3 September 2024, 10:39 PM   #17
Daniel_DXB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuy View Post
I agree. That isn't a difficult watch to find at all and if you are at all hesitant due to the open papers you'll have no issues finding a different one.
I did end up buying the timepiece in question yesterday. After talking to some of my buddies who re-sell high-end watches, open papers aren't really an issue as long as the papers itself are genuine.