The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 September 2024, 07:19 AM   #1
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Unscrewed crown, avoided disaster.

Over the years I have read posts where someone left their crown unscrewed and only remember to check as they jumped in the water etc. I always thought to myself, how could someone be so careless. I mean, you wind the movement, set the date/time and screw it back down and put on your wrist. Why would you every put on your wrist and not screw the crown down? I’ll tell you how..as I just did it.

Got out of the shower after mowing, took my garmin off to put my Explorer II on. Watch was dead so I unscrewed the crown got distracted and instead of carrying the watch around (thinking it would be safer on my wrist than me carrying it around) I decided to put it on my wrist with the intent to set the watch when I sat down again. Well time goes by and as I’m sitting in the chair I look down…forgot to set the watch and there the crown was completely unscrewed. Firs time I have ever done!

Now, I understand how it can happen.

Enjoy your Labor Day everyone!
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2024, 07:32 AM   #2
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Old 3 September 2024, 08:02 AM   #3
116510lv
"TRF" Member

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
116510lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2024, 08:27 AM   #4
Exceeder
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Did the same but actually got it wet and was sweating bullets, brought to AD and they said the inner stem gasket kept the water out.
Exceeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2024, 10:25 AM   #5
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
I did it once. My first Rolex, an Oyster Date, bought it used, wore it daily for eighteen years, ran great, never had it serviced. In Hawaii I reset the time and forgot to screw down the crown. Jumped in the ocean first thing, water in the case like a snow globe. First day of a two week vacation, no Rolex service on the island. Learned the hard way a watch service isn’t just about how well it runs.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2024, 06:06 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
Over the years I have read posts where someone left their crown unscrewed and only remember to check as they jumped in the water etc. I always thought to myself, how could someone be so careless. I mean, you wind the movement, set the date/time and screw it back down and put on your wrist. Why would you every put on your wrist and not screw the crown down? I’ll tell you how..as I just did it.

Got out of the shower after mowing, took my garmin off to put my Explorer II on. Watch was dead so I unscrewed the crown got distracted and instead of carrying the watch around (thinking it would be safer on my wrist than me carrying it around) I decided to put it on my wrist with the intent to set the watch when I sat down again. Well time goes by and as I’m sitting in the chair I look down…forgot to set the watch and there the crown was completely unscrewed. Firs time I have ever done!

Now, I understand how it can happen.

Enjoy your Labor Day everyone!
Many years ago now myself once on a dive in the Red Sea Egypt noticed my crown was fully unscrewed on my 16600 SD while at 25m plus underwater. But I did not panic as I was in charge of a group of divers I was guiding over the reef they were far more important than any watch. On return to surface watch was fine and watch is still fine today now almost 25 years old.While I would always recommend the winding crown is always screwed down just finger tight no force is needed Rolex watches are quite tough in all departments.

The main seal is inside the case the ones outside are all secondary. .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote