The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 7 July 2023, 06:22 AM   #1
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Does growing your portfolio outside of boutique purchases help with allocations?

I was considering buying a couple pieces grey, but was wondering how that effects allocations. I imagine boutique purchases have more weight, but I'm not sure if grey purchases help at all or if it will count against your profile?
Gandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 07:03 AM   #2
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandor View Post
I was considering buying a couple pieces grey, but was wondering how that effects allocations. I imagine boutique purchases have more weight, but I'm not sure if grey purchases help at all or if it will count against your profile?
A bit of both really. Make sure you add the purchase/s to your AP profile on line and casually mention to your SA that you are that much of an AP fan that you’ve enlarged your collection accordingly…..and it’s a good lead into gaining further allocations from AP themselves.

I did that when I bought my AP Diver a couple of years ago as I couldn’t wait for the Khaki Diver I wanted at the time……but was careful to be diplomatic about it if that makes sense?!
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 07:22 AM   #3
PT_91
"TRF" Member

Can only say which impression it leaves on me.

I think it lessens the risk of you being a flipper as paying the premium makes you lose the margin of a potential sale. That being said, I don't think you can build up a portfolio of 5 grey-bought watches and request a 15407 at the boutique. It has to be something in between.
PT_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 07:35 AM   #4
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

Here in Dubai . they told me they wont count / will not be taken in consideration
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 07:38 AM   #5
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandor View Post
Depends, I'd say. Don't think it would help much going grey for Codes/ROOs that trade at a discount and asking the boutique for things that have a grey market premium (although that would obviously be the most economical way to go about it). Buying a RO/ROC etc grey b/c you can't take the wait anymore might be seen as a positive sign of your enthusiasm.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 08:33 AM   #6
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
It is very hard to say what they are thinking, but in the end I think that it may be neutral. On one hand it shows that you are serious about the brand and if done recently, it would prove that you love AP so much that you paid over MSRP on the secondary market just to get one (assuming Royal Oak or popular model). However, buying a Code or even some Offshores under MSRP on the gray market does you no good. On the other hand, I don't think that an outside purchase gives you any advantage over another person who is interested in the same watch.

So in the end I think it depends on what you may purchase on the gray market and what you are trying to purchase from a boutique.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 09:26 AM   #7
chaucer
"TRF" Member

Hasn’t helped in my experience. I have two gray market pieces and my SA never remembers that I have them; they must not be in my profile in their system, despite them being in my AP website profile.
chaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 09:40 AM   #8
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Technically by registering a grey watch and showing AP it does 2 things:

1) The original owner gets blacklisted. By process of assassination you have improved your chances :)

2) It shows you are interested in the brand. As long as those pieces aren't too similar to what you want from the brand, it should help...not alot but to show you are serious (better than a guy off the street).
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 11:09 AM   #9
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I think there is no effect unless you buy directly and continuously from your chosen boutique. It’s really a personal thing to the SA when you want to be given an allocation.

On the other hand, for first time purchaser, I would surmise that since there is no relationship, the possible way is to keep visiting them to show you are serious about your watch passion; or look for someone who may know someone in the boutique. It can help to build a personal relationship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 11:14 AM   #10
tenementhall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearxj86 View Post
Technically by registering a grey watch and showing AP it does 2 things:

1) The original owner gets blacklisted. By process of assassination you have improved your chances :)

2) It shows you are interested in the brand. As long as those pieces aren't too similar to what you want from the brand, it should help...not alot but to show you are serious (better than a guy off the street).

Lol at (1)
tenementhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 02:58 PM   #11
dchang81
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

My SA who I still haven't pulled the trigger (on a code) asked me for the serial on my 15202 to add to my profile, so that I'm technically not starting from ground zero. haven't heard anything since that conversation tho. it was interesting that theyre the ones that asked me so they could enter it on their system.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 04:52 PM   #12
llngoc
"TRF" Member

I feel that a personal connection and if you are able to show your enthusiasm with the hobby, it will help.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 05:33 PM   #13
kb866
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15416CE
I make sure to always wear something I bought grey in whenever scheduled to go into a boutique (London or Tokyo). We always spend a few minutes chatting about it. They usually shake their head in disbelief when I tell them how much I paid over MSRP for it and make sincere comments about how they really want to try to get me more allocations of the models I want.

This is what I know (from both London and Tokyo):
1. Register every watch you buy grey. AP and the SA does look at it. I've had them mention to me about the pieces I have registered that were not bought from them.
2. They do take what you register into consideration
3. It helps them sell you to AP that you are committed to the brand
4. Once registered, don't flip too soon, even if the watch was bought grey.

I should mention, however, that I have had allocations taken away from me as a result of purchasing the watch on the grey market first. I got a 26331ST on the grey market, my SA from London texted me to tell me my 26331ST allocation was ready. Before I could respond, I got another message that said they see that I already acquired the same color model, so the 26331ST they had for me will be allocated to someone else. To avoid this, I play a little guessing game with my SA's now. For example, I really want a 26586IP and I talk about looking in the grey market openly for this. The London SA hints to me that he's working on it which is code for don't buy grey, they might have one for me soon. I'm also looking at a 77353BC for the wife, and they'll hint to me that going grey for that is not a bad idea which means we're not likely to get one from AP directly.

Hope this helps.
kb866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 10:56 PM   #14
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Maybe grey is the way forward for me
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 11:50 PM   #15
8bc8
"TRF" Member

Reckon if you buy discontinued/vintage on grey, it will improve your chances at retail. ESP if you buy heavy hitters i.e. vintage QP. All while maintaining interest in current models too. Hope this helps and good luck

8bc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2023, 11:52 PM   #16
APWorldTour
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bc8 View Post
Reckon if you buy discontinued/vintage on grey, it will improve your chances at retail. ESP if you buy heavy hitters i.e. vintage QP. All while maintaining interest in current models too. Hope this helps and good luck

Good advice
APWorldTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2023, 04:19 AM   #17
messikens
"TRF" Member

I was able to glance at the CRM.
It distinguishes boutique spend / "real" AP spend but they also have a way of looking at history / comments / registered watches.

So in short it does help a bit to show you care about the brand and you have other pieces. However the spend is calculated based on spend with AP, so you'd be lower on the ladder than someone who only spends money at a boutique and nothing else.

That's where the art of being a good SA comes in to weave together an overall picture of the client...
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2023, 11:54 PM   #18
Zazzles
2024 Pledge Member

My SA seemed irritated that I bought a RO grey said something like "you're feeding the grey market" "you didn't want to wait?"
Zazzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 02:26 AM   #19
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zazzles View Post
My SA seemed irritated that I bought a RO grey said something like "you're feeding the grey market" "you didn't want to wait?"

Interesting...
Mine didn't really say anything when I told him to take one off my wish list outside of "thanks for letting me know".

Guess he doesn't have to try hard to place it with the next person...
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2023, 04:15 AM   #20
impactplayer
"TRF" Member

Weird, when my SA found out I went grey, he said it showed a real commitment to the brand and reflected positively.
impactplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2023, 10:47 PM   #21
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I was told it would mind you at the time everything was selling over retail so it definitely meant you were committed to the brand. Now that all codes and offshores are selling way below I bet they won't like it if I buy a Code perp at 40% off in the grey market.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2023, 05:48 AM   #22
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post
Now that all codes and offshores are selling way below I bet they won't like it if I buy a Code perp at 40% off in the grey market.
Do you have a link to one of the "way below" retail light blue ("Gulf") 42mm Offshores? Definitely interested.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
Old 25 July 2023, 06:20 AM   #23
Marshall kowope
"TRF" Member

doesn;t count in dubai
Marshall kowope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2023, 02:48 PM   #24
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall kowope View Post
doesn;t count in dubai
Given that Dubai is doing more than anyone to feed the grey market that's cute.
Old 26 July 2023, 08:51 AM   #25
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Do you have a link to one of the "way below" retail light blue ("Gulf") 42mm Offshores? Definitely interested.
I apologize profusely for misspeaking and saying that ALL codes and ROOs are below retail when it's just most of them.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2023, 07:47 PM   #26
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenementhall View Post
Lol at (1)

+1

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2023, 10:25 PM   #27
Chelsea1986
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post
I was told it would mind you at the time everything was selling over retail so it definitely meant you were committed to the brand. Now that all codes and offshores are selling way below I bet they won't like it if I buy a Code perp at 40% off in the grey market.
I bought my code 11:59 chrono for about 40% discount from Watchfinder
Chelsea1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2023, 12:41 AM   #28
CactusTreeFiddy
"TRF" Member

Logically you'd think it'd be a good signal

But my SA said no it doesn't count
CactusTreeFiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2023, 01:20 AM   #29
eiesh
"TRF" Member

Just out of curiosity, has buying Grey helped anyone with an allocation (RO blue dial & better).
I ask because all I see here is commitment to the brand, so they can sell you to AP, but has any of that materialized ?
Just asking by the way, not trying to offend anyone.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
eiesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2023, 03:53 AM   #30
7sins
"TRF" Member

I've spoke about this multiple times with my SA, she said it does help when AP assess your collection for your wish list. She said especially if you buy a watch that is discontinued or one that isn't attainable and to always make sure the watch is registered with AP. I always bring in any AP I procure to have them size and register it at the boutique. However noting that if it isn't a difficult watch to wait for, you are better off going through the boutique.

It was a year or two ago, my boutique had a white QP available and they were deciding who would be the buyer. I have an incredibly strong relationship with my boutique and it came down to myself and another buyer, they selected the other buyer who had a much more rounded collection even though several of his watches weren't bought from the boutique (I had a more extensive purchase history). This also happened with a RD2 about 18 months ago that I lost out on, found it interesting that not all watches are pre-allocated. IMO I would have had a higher chance of getting the nod if my collection included more non-boutique watches at the time.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Off Shore Gulf Blue 26238 || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote