The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 June 2024, 08:20 AM   #1
milgaussSD43
"TRF" Member

help w great "problem"

Been on AD list (NYC area) for a VTNR for some time but no joy. Stepfather heard I was looking for this and went to his local AD (USA South). He is a very good jewelry customer and they allocated him a VTNR in a few weeks. He's not a watch guy, and while I tried to explain I want an oyster (jubilee isn't for me), he didn't really grasp that, and his AD allocated a jubilee VTNR. He bought it 2 days ago and it's at his house right now. He plans to gift it to me soon.

Amazing! So generous. Except it's not the watch I want. There's no way I could ever say to him "hey, this amazing a very hard to get watch isn't really what I want, can we change it?" Just can't do that.

I know his salesperson at his AD and called her today, explaining the situation. She knows it was bought for me, and she said she was very sorry for the bad luck. But she said they don't take Rolex returns, and "since it's now considered new, we could only buy back for less than he paid." We all know that's ridiculous since a NIB AD VTNR is worth only $12k whereas a "used" VTNR is worth ~$18k+. No point in ruminating over that, it is what it is.

I only buy at ADs and do NOT flip. Of course we all know the value of this watch and chat I can flip in an instant for a profit. But I'm not ok w doing that. I called my AD and explained and asked if they might take the jubilee VTNR and allocate me an oyster VTNR. No luck there as they are Bucherer and per the CPO program can't buy watches < 3 years old.

Anyone w any ideas? I want a NIB unworn oyster VTNR and am willing to do a swap 1:1. I'm thinking of reaching out to a known trusted grey to do that. I want a swap and if offered $$ would not take it. And if I go this route, I would call stepfather's AD and propose what I'm planning and make sure they are ok with it. I don't want him to lose his privileges to get allocations and I don't want to participate in the flip culture.

Final note, he won't notice if I swapped the bracelet, so I won't need to tell him any of this.
milgaussSD43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 08:50 AM   #2
tacotaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C - Black
Reach out to the Greys I’m sure they will do that trade in a heartbeat
tacotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 08:50 AM   #3
tacotaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C - Black
Also be transparent with your family they will not care given it’s what YOU want
tacotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 08:53 AM   #4
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Won’t Rolex switch out the bracelet for you, since it’s being sold on both bracelets currently. It will cost a couple thousand, but you’ll have the watch you want. Your AD can arrange it. Hell, I think maybe an RSC will arrange.

If you don’t want to incur extra cost, a reseller is the way to go.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 08:55 AM   #5
superpop
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 and SS SkyD
The Jubilee bracelet adds about 1K to the value of the watch vs the oyster. I bet you could find a local gray that would swap bracelets with you for next to nothing, you could do it with any GMT of the same vintage. That is what I would do. I would also not blab it to the AD and everyone else involved. Serial number will match and you will have what you want. The other option is just to buy the oyster bracelet and have both. The jubi bracelet is a very comfortable piece, I would try it before rejecting it.
superpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 08:56 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Oyster bracelets are pretty easy to come by, such generous gifts, not-so-much
Old 16 June 2024, 09:00 AM   #7
rockysw
"TRF" Member

if I were in your position, I would take the watch and enjoy it (and not treat it like a problem). You can always buy a oyster bracelet for the GMT at a later date.

Jubliee vs oyster doesnt make that much difference in my view. At the end of the day its the same watch. As I said above, you can always get a oyster for it from an AD or RSC. Worst case (they dont want to sell you or not in stock or whatever), you should be easily able to source one in the gray market.
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 09:01 AM   #8
rockysw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
this.
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 09:01 AM   #9
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Quote:

I would keep the watch as gifted and buy a spare bracelet for it. No other options if it were me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 09:04 AM   #10
Rentalcarman
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: None at the moment
Because of the care and kindness behind the watch, and the only issue is the band, I would source out the. And and keep the watch for its special meaning. It doesn’t matter if he would or wouldn’t notice. He did it out of love for you and that makes the watch far more special than just being a watch.

I would either talk to an AD and share this story and seek their help for the band or I would share the same store with RSC. Worst case, find a trusted grey on here to get you the band.

But I would not under any circumstance sell or trade this watch because of the act of kindness behind it. When you look down at this watch you will always think about the love behind it. But if you sell or trade it, every time you look at it you will remember the opposite side of the story. Just my honest opinion.

Good luck to you!

Old 16 June 2024, 09:14 AM   #11
Neil McCauley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This.

I wish I was so fortunate to have one gifted to me lol.

Accept the gift.

Buy an Oyster bracelet separately - you were going to buy the watch, you just saved yourself about $8000
Old 16 June 2024, 09:16 AM   #12
sambb
"TRF" Member

interesting story - i recently received an oyster GMT as a gift, and previously wanted the jubilee. However, as the timepiece was a gift, i will never trade the oyster for the jubilee. Im going to keep the oyster and it reminds me of the individual who gifted it to me. I feel more connected to the piece.
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 09:36 AM   #13
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Quote:
Agree and well said.
~JJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 09:42 AM   #14
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
What a world. Love TRF !
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 09:47 AM   #15
bliss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
I would keep the watch as gifted and buy a spare bracelet for it. No other options if it were me.

This exactely!
bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 09:53 AM   #16
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Sounds like a lot of drama for such a generous gift. Wear the free Rolex with gratitude on the Jubilee as gifted. As others have said you can buy an Oyster bracelet. Having both bracelets honors the giver and the spirit of the gift as well as addressing your own preference.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 10:01 AM   #17
L_S_SHOE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
help w great &quot;problem&quot;

Your stepdad sounds like good dude.

I’d probably accept it as is and I bet you’ll find the Jubilee grows on you. If you really really don’t want to do that, then a trusted seller may be willing to do the swap, but you’ll probably have to throw some money into the deal so it would be worth their time and effort.

I’m not sure I’d tell his AD anything of this.

L_S_SHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 10:08 AM   #18
fsprow
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
In my view, gifts are to be enjoyed and valued - not exchanged. Maybe old fashioned.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 10:22 AM   #19
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
OP, honestly, are you kidding. I have a unworn VTNR on Oyster. Happy to exchange bracelets w you.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 10:23 AM   #20
saltyandwet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milgaussSD43 View Post
Been on AD list (NYC area) for a VTNR for some time but no joy. Stepfather heard I was looking for this and went to his local AD (USA South). He is a very good jewelry customer and they allocated him a VTNR in a few weeks. He's not a watch guy, and while I tried to explain I want an oyster (jubilee isn't for me), he didn't really grasp that, and his AD allocated a jubilee VTNR. He bought it 2 days ago and it's at his house right now. He plans to gift it to me soon.

Amazing! So generous. Except it's not the watch I want. There's no way I could ever say to him "hey, this amazing a very hard to get watch isn't really what I want, can we change it?" Just can't do that.

I know his salesperson at his AD and called her today, explaining the situation. She knows it was bought for me, and she said she was very sorry for the bad luck. But she said they don't take Rolex returns, and "since it's now considered new, we could only buy back for less than he paid." We all know that's ridiculous since a NIB AD VTNR is worth only $12k whereas a "used" VTNR is worth ~$18k+. No point in ruminating over that, it is what it is.

I only buy at ADs and do NOT flip. Of course we all know the value of this watch and chat I can flip in an instant for a profit. But I'm not ok w doing that. I called my AD and explained and asked if they might take the jubilee VTNR and allocate me an oyster VTNR. No luck there as they are Bucherer and per the CPO program can't buy watches < 3 years old.

Anyone w any ideas? I want a NIB unworn oyster VTNR and am willing to do a swap 1:1. I'm thinking of reaching out to a known trusted grey to do that. I want a swap and if offered $$ would not take it. And if I go this route, I would call stepfather's AD and propose what I'm planning and make sure they are ok with it. I don't want him to lose his privileges to get allocations and I don't want to participate in the flip culture.

Final note, he won't notice if I swapped the bracelet, so I won't need to tell him any of this.
Don't be ungrateful. Just accept it, enjoy it and move on. It's like that teenage girl receiving a car on her 16th b'day but moaning that it's not the color she wanted. It's a GIFT!!! Really? You are going to cry that it's the watch you want but just not the bracelet that you desire? If I was your stepfather, I'd say "fine, go get it on your own then, ingrate".
saltyandwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 10:24 AM   #21
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
The jubilee bracelet has grown on me. I previously told AD's not to call me with one but now I wouldn't mind it.

I'd want to keep the exact serial my family gifted me--bracelets are relatively easy to source. Enjoy the watch now and look for an oyster bracelet that fits in the meantime.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 10:40 AM   #22
4 Aussies

Watch: Blue Sky
help w great "problem" You have no idea what a problem is. Your Stepfather is a class act, your childish behavior deserves zero!
4 Aussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 10:56 AM   #23
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joearch View Post
OP, honestly, are you kidding. I have a unworn VTNR on Oyster. Happy to exchange bracelets w you.
What a great offer. I hope this works for both of you.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 11:08 AM   #24
RTG

Watch: YM42 Ti
With Jubilee being the more popular option, you’ll have no problem finding someone to swap bracelets with if you don’t come to love the jubilee. I would bite your tongue and never suggest anything but total appreciation for the magnificent gift. If I gave my kid a Rolex for him to bitch about the bracelet, I swear I would feed it to him.
Old 16 June 2024, 11:09 AM   #25
gates
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
There are several great ideas here, accept the gift as is, KEEP THE JUBILEE as its a gift, and buy an oyster for the $2500 or so the charge - win win - you get the watch you want for the cost of an oyster bracelet and you honor your stepfathers gift as given, leave the jubilee in the box for daily and slap it on when you get together with your stepfather/dressier occasions - win- win. Honestly, a lot of people would love to have the option of the other bracelet when they wanted to dress up or down the watch but adding another bracelet to an already big expenditure is not something most people will do, youre not paying for the watch so....
gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 11:10 AM   #26
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Chewey is that you?
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 11:10 AM   #27
RX0
"TRF" Member

You can go to RSC and ask them to get you an oyster bracelet as replacement.
RX0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 11:22 AM   #28
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

I’m just going to go against the tide a bit, if I was the gift giver, I wouldn’t care if they switched out the bracelet. At all.

Personally, I don’t like the Jubilee. I know everyone here does, but I just don’t like it in my wrist. I don’t like how it looks and how it feels. I’d appreciate the gift immensely, but if this were me, I’d wear it a lot less. And I’m sure whoever bought it for me would want me to wear it a lot.

I just don’t think of changing the bracelet as a big deal. Non watch people would literally think nothing of it. Hell, I’d argue most people on TRF would think nothing of getting a watch as a gift and throwing it on a NATO or a leather strap.

So if OP knows he won’t wear the watch as much on a Jubilee, it makes zero sense to keep it on one. He knows himself and he knows his father-in-law much better than us.
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 12:01 PM   #29
Watchdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: I can't tell time
Quote:
This. You know the dynamics, and we don't BUT . . .

It seems like an extremely unpleasant situation just waiting to explode.

Take the watch and thank him profusely!

Secure the oyster bracelet later. It will cost you far less than a damaged relationship with a generous and kind-hearted man.
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2024, 12:07 PM   #30
Andad

Watch: A few.
Interesting situation.

Easy answer.

You know what to do.

Enjoy wearing it and be grateful.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote