The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 11 October 2008, 12:41 PM   #1
Duc-904
"TRF" Member

Scammer email example

Received the following email in response to a watch I'm selling locally on Craigslist. Thought I would pass it along as an example of the type of email you should not respond to when selling. I'm sick and tired of these rats!

"Thanks for the reply, the price is okay by me I will add $100.00 USD for the shipping cost..making 2575$.and i am ready to purchase from you immediately which am buying this item to someone else,the payment will be made via paypal cos is very secure and fast way to receive money online and i don't want you to look for any other buyer.i would have love to come down for the pickup.But am not chanced to do that now im starting new job this week but am satisfy with your description of the item .I will like to read from you concerning this moving arrangement before processing and sending the payment out to you. i will like you to give me your paypal account email id or send me an invoice for me to send your payment.i will expect your mail.asap
Thanks in advance.
Hope to hear from you..................
Katty............"
Duc-904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2008, 01:28 PM   #2
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
typical scam,thanks for refreshing our memory..
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2008, 01:09 AM   #3
KJacques
"TRF" Member

Watch: the skies
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemulholland3 View Post
typical scam,thanks for refreshing our memory..
I'm not as clear on it, so I'd like to understand before trying to use CL to post a for sale. The message is poorly worded, but how do they work this scam?
KJacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2008, 02:47 AM   #4
Duc-904
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJacques View Post
I'm not as clear on it, so I'd like to understand before trying to use CL to post a for sale. The message is poorly worded, but how do they work this scam?

This scam involves sending a fake Paypal payment confirmation. Also take note it is almost certainly a scam whenever you are offered a significant amount over your asking price or shipping cost. Check out this thread for the details.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=54116
Old 12 October 2008, 04:10 AM   #5
Terry Newton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT GMT II c
The watch buyer will ask him to ship it to Nigeria. He would never see the money and the watch would be gone funding pirates off the coast or terrorists. Lovely world we live in today.

Terry Newton

"Z" SS Date Submariner
"Z" TT GMT-Master IIc
Terry Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2008, 04:25 AM   #6
Duc-904
"TRF" Member

Another one this morning! Unfortunately the first email sounded like a reasonable inquiry so I responded and got this...

"Sounds great,
Thank for your urgent reply to my mail,i am really interest to purchase this item from you to present my friend for his wedding coming soon.And i am ready to proceed with your payment,Because the item is needed urgently.Due to fast approach of the wedding and l want them to received the package before engagement day.My form of payment would be via(ECHECK) electronic cashier check would be drawn in Bank of America to facilitate the transaction and for you to have your money in hand before you will ship the item.Al though i am not currently around for now i travel for business trip.To proceed with the payment you will probarbly need to purchase Blank business check paper at shopping mall or office depot,Once you have this paper buy kindly email me your Name and Address with your Valid email address to contact my client to proceed and send the check via your email immediately once you received the check you will be instruct how to got it printed before you proceed to your bank for deposit,please inlude the cost of the bLnak business check paper to your asking and plan to email me back to proceed further.

Await to hear back from you

Thanks"
Old 12 October 2008, 05:38 AM   #7
KJacques
"TRF" Member

Watch: the skies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc-904 View Post
Another one this morning! Unfortunately the first email sounded like a reasonable inquiry so I responded and got this...
That is the most preposterous and involved e-mail I've ever seen. I have no idea what this person is asking.

Thanks for all the replies on the Paypal scam. There shouldn't be a problem if your actual paypal account shows money deposited, does it? The scam involves faked paypal emails only, right?
KJacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2008, 10:31 AM   #8
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Sounds legit to me!??!!

Sometimes I like being a moron!...................!................!

Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote