The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 26 August 2024, 03:02 AM   #1
Vigilante24
"TRF" Member

5712 even possible?

Just wondering everyone's experience, purchase history, and relationship in obtaining the 5712/1a Nautilus.

My AD has mentioned about 2 year wait for a 5167a Aquanaut with a purchase history of $175k in multiple Rolex, Tudor, and one Patek Calatrava over the past 3 years. I have yet to ask about the 5712 but now wondering if I should pivot to asking for that instead.

Hoping to get more insight if you have purchased within the past 4 years. Is it harder to get than the 5167a? What was your purchase history and area you live? Thank you!
Vigilante24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2024, 03:25 AM   #2
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

I hope you like all the pieces you’ve gotten. If not you’re getting played big time imo. Hasn’t Patek also been shuttering ADs at a fast clip?

I think 5712 is materially harder from what I’ve heard.
Old 26 August 2024, 04:25 AM   #3
Vigilante24
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
I hope you like all the pieces you’ve gotten. If not you’re getting played big time imo. Hasn’t Patek also been shuttering ADs at a fast clip?

I think 5712 is materially harder from what I’ve heard.
Thanks for the insight. Without going into details…I’ve pretty much come on top on purchases with what I’ve got and been able to move on from to make up for any losses. Always that worry of losing AD status but that’s life. Haha. What’s your experience with purchasing from AD? Cheers
Old 26 August 2024, 04:31 AM   #4
dchang81
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Kinda curious which dealer....I'm also conflicted if it's better them setting the expectations vs just writing your name down on an imaginary list . That does seem like a large spend for a 5167a....
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2024, 09:30 AM   #5
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante24 View Post
Thanks for the insight. Without going into details…I’ve pretty much come on top on purchases with what I’ve got and been able to move on from to make up for any losses. Always that worry of losing AD status but that’s life. Haha. What’s your experience with purchasing from AD? Cheers
Good for you. Honestly with the ominous and increasing threat of Patek cutting ADs, it’s a game I wouldn’t want to play. I’ve heard horror stories of folks spending $300k+ and not getting a nautilus, or worse yet, having AD status pulled. If you want those watches on the “journey” then sure, but a rational player who does not should go grey.
Old 26 August 2024, 09:56 AM   #6
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Good for you. Honestly with the ominous and increasing threat of Patek cutting ADs, it’s a game I wouldn’t want to play. I’ve heard horror stories of folks spending $300k+ and not getting a nautilus, or worse yet, having AD status pulled. If you want those watches on the “journey” then sure, but a rational player who does not should go grey.
From personal experience. This is absolutely good advice. Luckily my AD took great care of me while they had Patek. But not everyone is so lucky..... Doesn't change the fact you're left out in the cold after they get dropped by Patek no matter what you've spent.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2024, 10:33 AM   #7
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
Agree with the crowd. I was fortunate to have an AD that didn't play games, but they lost their status a couple of years ago. So lately I've been buying APs and VC. OP, I'd just hold out for the 5712 or 5167 from your AD (your spend history seems enough) or go gray.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2024, 11:31 AM   #8
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Is the 5712/1r-001 equally as difficult to get? Or even more so?
Old 26 August 2024, 03:17 PM   #9
Vigilante24
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Completely agree that going grey for one reference is the way to go if you have the funds. Would definitely be upsetting with such a large spend to have status revoked. Has there be a pattern of why certain ADs have been cut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
From personal experience. This is absolutely good advice. Luckily my AD took great care of me while they had Patek. But not everyone is so lucky..... Doesn't change the fact you're left out in the cold after they get dropped by Patek no matter what you've spent.
Can’t imagine having to start from the beginning to start the “journey” all over again. What is your favorite Patek that you were able to get from the former AD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boa2 View Post
Is the 5712/1r-001 equally as difficult to get? Or even more so?
Seems to be more difficult to get a SS nautilus than aquanaut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
Agree with the crowd. I was fortunate to have an AD that didn't play games, but they lost their status a couple of years ago. So lately I've been buying APs and VC. OP, I'd just hold out for the 5712 or 5167 from your AD (your spend history seems enough) or go gray.
Not bad brands to pivot too. Haha. At this point, just waiting for AD to hopefully allocate me like you suggested.
Old 26 August 2024, 03:45 PM   #10
robertengel
"TRF" Member

5712 has been around for a long long time 18 years or so. It is not to everyone's taste, but it has enough following to easily sell all pieces released. I would think it has a significantly longer wait time than any regular aquanaut
robertengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2024, 05:32 PM   #11
LJubel328
"TRF" Member

As others have replied, and speaking from personal experience, I wouldn’t would go the route you are currently on. Though, you currently have a financially vested interest so I could see your bias towards continuing the AD path.

The amount quoted to receive a 5167 allocation seems high considering prices on the secondary market. If your AD is saying that high for a 5167, I imagine they’ll ask for more for a 5712 allocation.

I also suspect the delta between retail and secondary 5712 prices will likely be less than what the AD will ask of you to spend.

Best of luck, hope it works out for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LJubel328 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2024, 10:39 PM   #12
Gelateria
"TRF" Member

Your spend is way too high for a 5167a let alone wait two years for it. 5712a is considerably harder, if your ad is withholding 5167 for that spend I can't begin to imagine what's their line for the 5712a
Doesnt hurt asking though, for that spend id be happier with a 5712 but it depends on how bad your ad is
Gelateria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2024, 10:39 PM   #13
aa_watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJubel328 View Post
I also suspect the delta between retail and secondary 5712 prices will likely be less than what the AD will ask of you to spend.
I agree
Also since steel 5711 has been discontinued I assume steel 5712 gets asked more frequently
aa_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2024, 01:06 AM   #14
boa2
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Seems to be more difficult to get a SS nautilus than aquanaut.
Sorry for the confusion. I was asking if the rose gold 5712 on a bracelet was equally as difficult to source from an AD as the SS?

Thank you.
Old 27 August 2024, 01:14 AM   #15
aa_watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. I was asking if the rose gold 5712 on a bracelet was equally as difficult to source from an AD as the SS?

Thank you.
Rose gold with leather strap should be "easier" than SS.
aa_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2024, 01:15 AM   #16
Vigilante24
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelateria View Post
Your spend is way too high for a 5167a let alone wait two years for it. 5712a is considerably harder, if your ad is withholding 5167 for that spend I can't begin to imagine what's their line for the 5712a
Doesnt hurt asking though, for that spend id be happier with a 5712 but it depends on how bad your ad is

Yeah I’ll most likely request for the 5712 and see what happens. They have taken care of me when it comes to other watches so the spend history might not be as much as expected in terms of low demand pieces. I’ve gotten GMT Blue/black, sub, sprite, black Daytona.

What was your spend history before obtaining the 5167a and 5712 with your AD?

Old 27 August 2024, 01:16 AM   #17
Vigilante24
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_watch View Post

Good question. I’ll ask and report back. Haha.

Old 27 August 2024, 01:23 AM   #18
boa2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good question. I’ll ask and report back. Haha.

Haha, thanks!
Old 27 August 2024, 01:37 AM   #19
Gelateria
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah I’ll most likely request for the 5712 and see what happens. They have taken care of me when it comes to other watches so the spend history might not be as much as expected in terms of low demand pieces. I’ve gotten GMT Blue/black, sub, sprite, black Daytona.

What was your spend history before obtaining the 5167a and 5712 with your AD?

Ha! I wish I have the 5712. I never asked coz I had no chance. As for the 5167a, I got it after around 2 years wait after getting the 6119
Old 27 August 2024, 02:58 AM   #20
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJubel328 View Post
As others have replied, and speaking from personal experience, I wouldn’t would go the route you are currently on. Though, you currently have a financially vested interest so I could see your bias towards continuing the AD path.

The amount quoted to receive a 5167 allocation seems high considering prices on the secondary market. If your AD is saying that high for a 5167, I imagine they’ll ask for more for a 5712 allocation.

Best of luck, hope it works out for you!

x2
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2024, 03:07 AM   #21
Inthesticks
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_watch View Post
5712 on leather strap was discontinued this year AFAIK.
Inthesticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2024, 03:32 AM   #22
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thank you.
Think the 1R is harder than the 1A having been released only recently and having been quite the hit upon launch.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2024, 05:13 AM   #23
boa2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Think the 1R is harder than the 1A having been released only recently and having been quite the hit upon launch.

Thank you.
Old 27 August 2024, 02:47 PM   #24
Vigilante24
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ha! I wish I have the 5712. I never asked coz I had no chance. As for the 5167a, I got it after around 2 years wait after getting the 6119
Nice! What year was this? Any other spend besides the 6119?
Old 27 August 2024, 02:48 PM   #25
Vigilante24
"TRF" Member

Also, does anyone want to post any wrist shots of their 5712 or 5167 please? This thread is lacking some eye candy. Haha.
Old 27 August 2024, 04:53 PM   #26
Gelateria
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nice! What year was this? Any other spend besides the 6119?
21 for 6119 23 for 5167a that's all
I suppose I got a decent deal, but even then I think the general feeling is a Calatrava plus a ladies reference (and a relatively lengthy wait) would be sufficient for a 5167a
Old 27 August 2024, 09:53 PM   #27
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
Your history would not be enough for the 5712 with my AD. My AD wants evidence that you’re a Patek collector building out a Patek collection, in addition to overall spend. I got a 5167a after a 1.5 year wait, after buying two calatravas and an annual calendar. I have asked for a 5712a from day one, and they know this is top of my list. My guess is that I could get the 5712a if I bought either a perpetual or a chronograph. So I would need to buy one more Patek for the collection and raise my spend by another 90k to get a shot at the 5712. Again, they want evidence of building out a Patek collection in addition to spend.

My experience only. Happy hunting.
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2024, 11:40 AM   #28
Vigilante24
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoylentGreenChi View Post
Your history would not be enough for the 5712 with my AD. My AD wants evidence that you’re a Patek collector building out a Patek collection, in addition to overall spend. I got a 5167a after a 1.5 year wait, after buying two calatravas and an annual calendar. I have asked for a 5712a from day one, and they know this is top of my list. My guess is that I could get the 5712a if I bought either a perpetual or a chronograph. So I would need to buy one more Patek for the collection and raise my spend by another 90k to get a shot at the 5712. Again, they want evidence of building out a Patek collection in addition to spend.

My experience only. Happy hunting.

Thanks for your specific experience. Seems like a pretty high threshold in your area. Hoping you are able to obtain that 5712a at some point.

Did you ever propose getting the 5712 after purchasing the 2 calatravas and annual calendar before the aquanaut? Seems to me that would be plenty of spend for the nautilus especially if you made other brands purchases.

Are you in a metropolitan area?

Old 28 August 2024, 11:48 AM   #29
Vigilante24
"TRF" Member

Quote:
21 for 6119 23 for 5167a that's all
I suppose I got a decent deal, but even then I think the general feeling is a Calatrava plus a ladies reference (and a relatively lengthy wait) would be sufficient for a 5167a

That’s an amazing deal to say the least in this current Patek market. Haha.

You mentioned the 5712 is impossible. Have you asked your AD what it would take?

Old 28 August 2024, 12:28 PM   #30
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
Quote:
Thanks for your specific experience. Seems like a pretty high threshold in your area. Hoping you are able to obtain that 5712a at some point.

Did you ever propose getting the 5712 after purchasing the 2 calatravas and annual calendar before the aquanaut? Seems to me that would be plenty of spend for the nautilus especially if you made other brands purchases.

Are you in a metropolitan area?

In a giant city, so plenty of local competition. Yes, I asked for the 5712 from the start and always say it’s top of my list. All my purchases have been Pateks.
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote